Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2012   #41
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 4th Round, Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Crick has first round talent as a 3-4 DE. Adds premium depth @ hard to find position. best pick of Texans 2012 draft where they selected him
Incredible pick, especially considering that we got him in the lat 4th. Mitchell probably will not be moving out to DE in the future as many of us had hoped. I think you can pencil him in at DE after Antonio Smith's time as a Texan is up.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #42
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yep, it's pretty obvious what kind of players Wade Phillips goes for....
Yep, white guys.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #43
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Yep, white guys.

I don't care if they're purple and orange, as long as they can play football.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #44
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow! Nice way to ruin a thread.

Really nice.
Old 04-28-2012   #45
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
[rant]
I'm starting to get tired of all this "high motor" talk. I think it's becoming one of the most over-used descriptors that it's becoming cliche.

Antonio Smith is a high motor guy who we're paying $8M to this year. He's not worth $8M. I love the guy, glad he's on our team, but he doesn't finish. Mario finishes, & I'd rather have 5 finishers on the line than 5 high motor guys who don't finish.

Antonio Smith, Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye, Jason Babin those are all high motor guys who did not finish & our defense suffered because of it.

JJ Watt, Demeco Ryans, Brian Cushing...... high motor guys who finished.

Jared Crick is a high motor guy, that's great. Let's hope he can finish in the pros like he did at the college level.

[/rant]
Finishers and high-motor guys are not mutually exclusive of one another. A player can be both of those things or you can have players who can complement each other. JJ Watt is a great example of being able to do both. How many sacks did he have that were called back? Imo finshers or getting sacks is a valuable commodity to have, but you can disrupt the offense other ways by batting down balls, hurrying the qb, hitting the qb, and blowing up the run game.
Old 04-28-2012   #46
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 87412 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Man if this guy stays healthy we're gonna have an. Outstanding d-line!!!
Old 04-28-2012   #47
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain - Crick will play DE in 3-man front and move inside in passing situations. Missed last 7 games cause of injury. 04-28

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/18/NFL#ixzz1tMObtnx7
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2012   #48
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I don't care if they're purple and orange, as long as they can play football.
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door...

As long as they can play football!!!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Finishers and high-motor guys are not mutually exclusive of one another. A player can be both of those things or you can have players who can complement each other. JJ Watt is a great example of being able to do both. How many sacks did he have that were called back? Imo finshers or getting sacks is a valuable commodity to have, but you can disrupt the offense other ways by batting down balls, hurrying the qb, hitting the qb, and blowing up the run game.
That's what I said, did you read the whole thing?

Quote:
[rant]

Jared Crick is a high motor guy, that's great. Let's hope he can finish in the pros like he did at the college level.

[/rant]
Old 04-28-2012   #50
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
[rant]
i'm starting to get tired of all this "high motor" talk. I think it's becoming one of the most over-used descriptors that it's becoming cliche.

Antonio smith is a high motor guy who we're paying $8m to this year. He's not worth $8m. I love the guy, glad he's on our team, but he doesn't finish. Mario finishes, & i'd rather have 5 finishers on the line than 5 high motor guys who don't finish.

Antonio smith, travis johnson, amobi okoye, jason babin those are all high motor guys who did not finish & our defense suffered because of it.

Jj watt, demeco ryans, brian cushing...... High motor guys who finished.

Jared crick is a high motor guy, that's great. Let's hope he can finish in the pros like he did at the college level.

[/rant]
tl;dr
Old 04-28-2012   #51
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

VERY happy with this pick. I was hoping the Texans would draft him.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #52
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[rant]
I'm starting to get tired of all this "high motor" talk. I think it's becoming one of the most over-used descriptors that it's becoming cliche.

Antonio Smith is a high motor guy who we're paying $8M to this year. He's not worth $8M. I love the guy, glad he's on our team, but he doesn't finish. Mario finishes, & I'd rather have 5 finishers on the line than 5 high motor guys who don't finish.

Antonio Smith, Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye, Jason Babin those are all high motor guys who did not finish & our defense suffered because of it.

[/rant]
Amobi Okoye and Travis Johnson don't even know how to turn key on a motor much less possess one, they were no motor guys... It's a insult to Antonio Smith to even list his name in the same sentence as those bums. Jason Babin gets after the QB, but that's all he does... He's a situational pass rusher who starts in Philly.

I think you're extremely underselling the player that Antonio Smith is and the value that he brings this team. Houston would not be the defense that they were/are without him and finish are not finish, great defenses are built on the backs of workers/high motor guys like Crick and Smith.. not everyone can be the headline lead singer, you still need a drummer and a couple of guitar players in order to make great music.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #53
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what I said, did you read the whole thing?
I wasn't disagreeing with your assessment. I agree and do hope guys like Mercilus and Crick are finishers as well.
Old 04-28-2012   #54
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Is there another NFL team with nearly this many white guys in their front seven?

Connor Barwin
Bryan Braman
Shawn Cody
Jared Crick
Brian Cushing
Jesse Nading
Brooks Reed
JJ Watt

The Texans are racists!
Kevin McHale says the Texans remind him of the 86 Celtics .
Old 04-28-2012   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Crick was reported to have suffered his pec tear in October of 2011. It was then revealed that his injury actually occurred against Washington on September 17. He sat out the Huskers' win over Wyoming. But came back to play through his tear against Wisconsin and Ohio State before the team decided to shut him down for the year and place him on the surgical schedule. Almost sounds like a familiar Texans injury approach scenario. Nevertheless, he demonstrated a never-say-die approach to the game, despite what must have been one heck of a physically painful period for him.

Since it is important for a DE/DT to use the power of their arms and hands effectively, it will be important for him to regain his upper body strength, especially if he decides to stay on the lighter side.

Although liberal mention of his pectoral and MCL injuries in 2011 has been commonly made, it should be noted that he had an elbow problem through most of the 2010 season. Hopefully, the "undersized label" does not follow him in a negative manner, where the power, strength and size of NFL OL contribute to a continued history of injuries.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #56
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

This is my favorite pick. Hands down. I think Crick is going to get regular playing time in his rookie year and I honestly expect him to be an impact player.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #57
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: 4th Round, Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Crick was reported to have suffered his pec tear in October of 2011. It was then revealed that his injury actually occurred against Washington on September 17. He sat out the Huskers' win over Wyoming. But came back to play through his tear against Wisconsin and Ohio State before the team decided to shut him down for the year and place him on the surgical schedule. Almost sounds like a familiar Texans injury approach scenario. Nevertheless, he demonstrated a never-say-die approach to the game, despite what must have been one heck of a physically painful period for him.

Since it is important for a DE/DT to use the power of their arms and hands effectively, it will be important for him to regain his strength, especially if he decides to stay on the lighter side.

Mention of his pectoral and MCL injuries in 2011 have been commonly quoted, it should be noted that he had an elbow problem through most of the 2010 season. Hopefully, the "undersized label" does not follow him in a negative manner, where the power, strength and size of NFL OL contribute to a continued history of injuries.
reward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> risk, especially for our 2nd fourth rounder
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #58
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

TK, I can't believe you called Mario a finisher.
He had his moments, but I'll take the high motor/hard worker types.
Old 04-28-2012   #59
Lucky

Rep Power: 103323 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

This pick was certain to make a lot of people here happy. Great value pick, if he's fully recovered from injury.
Old 04-28-2012   #60
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
reward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> risk, especially for our 2nd fourth rounder
actually our 3rd fourth rounder
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read