Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 4th round Ben Jones, C Georgia

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...0560/ben-jones

http://m.nfl.com/combine/profile/2532883/ben-jones/

SEC, 4-year started 49 games, prototypical center.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #2
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 4th round Ben Jones, C Georgia

Discuss.......

Good value and nice depth behind Myers, but I feel we have some NEEDS that we either are ignoring or feel they aren't actually needs.....Still need a better wr IMO and a NT wouldn't hurt....
Old 04-28-2012   #3
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 120 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 4th round Ben Jones, C UGA

Nice to see them adding depth and using BPA on their boards. I think that's fantastic. As a fan, I know we hate it.

As a pick? eh. I love the flashy in the 4th, where is my Kubiak TE pick?!
Old 04-28-2012   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Jones, C

I like it. Not an exciting pick, but provides depth for the line. Good value as well.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #5
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 4th round Ben Jones, C UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line_Producer View Post
Nice to see them adding depth and using BPA on their boards. I think that's fantastic. As a fan, I know we hate it.

As a pick? eh. I love the flashy in the 4th, where is my Kubiak TE pick?!
Mercilus played some TE
Old 04-28-2012   #6
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 4th round Ben Jones, C Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Discuss.......

Good value and nice depth behind Myers, but I feel we have some NEEDS that we either are ignoring or feel they aren't actually needs.....Still need a better wr IMO and a NT wouldn't hurt....
Doesn't seem to really fill a significant need, but it's hard to have too much depth in the O-line.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #7
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Started 48 games at Center in the SEC. Plays with a nasty treak. He made the line calls and has a lot of experience. He's consistent and tough. Many expect he could start right away for many teams. 29 reps at he combine.

Maybe Brooks goes to RT and Jones goes to G (while we have Chris Myers, then Jones becomes our C).

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2012   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire Smith, fire Kubiak, only let Wade pick.

Think I covered all the bases here.
Old 04-28-2012   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Caldwells on notice .
Old 04-28-2012   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I'm reading, he seems to be a decent 4th round pick. I like that we've got two O linemen so far. Now we can go after the defensive backfield and another WR. And a QB in there someplace.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #11
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
From what I'm reading, he seems to be a decent 4th round pick. I like that we've got two O linemen so far. Now we can go after the defensive backfield and another WR. And a QB in there someplace.
And a kicker
Old 04-28-2012   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Good value, possibly an upgrade over Wade Smith at LG? In any case, Caldwell is done-skies lol....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #13
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000...raft-Ben-Jones

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #14
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

This was a guy the Titans fans wanted LOL. NFL.com has him with a 78.2 rating and was their second highest rated center in the draft. I'm glad they are solidifying O-Line depth.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
And a kicker
Yep, one of those as well. We don't have a 7th round pick now, so they'll have to use the 5th or 6th to pick one up. I really don't think Smithiak will drafft a kicker in the 4th round.

Old 04-28-2012   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Really like this pick. I'm guessing he was Texans highest rated C with Konz's injury concerns.

If Myers went down this year, we'd be sunk. Now we have a natural C to step in, groom.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #17
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Surprised they passed on Massie for a center.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #18
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Yep, one of those as well. We don't have a 7th round pick now, so they'll have to use the 5th or 6th to pick one up. I really don't think Smithiak will drafft a kicker in the 4th round.
No, but hopefully a 6th on one....that way we ensure a great kicker and not risk signing just anyone with a leg in the free agency that will ensue later tonight
Old 04-28-2012   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

From CBS sports analysis page:

Quote:
Pass blocking: Good initial quickness and recognition. Made the line calls. Impressive anchor. Absorbs some big punches against quicker, powerful DTs/NGs and after a short step back is able to hold his ground well. Good lateral agility to slide and mirror. Looks for someone to hit when not covered up. Could gain more explosiveness in his initial punch or when helping others. Run blocking: Good initial quickness off the snap to turn and seal off the defender. Possesses good size and strength for the drive block, as well, but comes out lunging, at times, and doesn't have the balance to correct himself and recover. A bit inconsistent with his hand placement, as well, getting too low and leaving himself vulnerable ...

Old 04-28-2012   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this pick. I've been worried more about the interior of the line than the tackle position, although I did expect them to draft a tackle. But I think they like Newton and Butler.

This puts our younger guys on notice and hopefully starts some competition in the middle of our line between Caldwell, Smith, Brooks, and Jones.

He's a scrappy guy and that was probably Brisiel's best feature.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read