Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-06-2014   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Minicamp quotes

Some HT.com quotes from OB:

Quote:
Head Coach Bill O'Brien spoke to the media following veteran minicamp on Tuesday.

Head Coach Bill O’Brien:

(on his impressions of the first day of voluntary mini-camp) “It was a decent start but we’ve had (the players) for a little bit. I thought the ability to take it from Phase I in the weight room to Phase II to the coaching sessions and now to a practice, so we kind of built up to this. It was a typical first practice but they handled things pretty well.”

(on if there was anything he was specifically looking for today) “No.”

(on what he likes about his team and what stands out to him about it through his interactions thus far) “I do enjoy the group of guys, I really do. I think right now we have about 63 guys in here and the guys come to work every day. There’s some good camaraderie in the building and to this point they’ve done what we’ve asked them to do. So, yeah, I enjoy—I think we all do, all the coaches enjoy being around these guys.”

(on how Arian Foster is doing) “We have to go watch the tape but he’s just like everybody else: first day, learning the systems and I think everybody without singling anybody out, I thought everybody had a decent start to the first day.”

(on Arian Foster being cleared after surgery) “Yeah, he’s cleared and he looked good. He looked fine.”

(on how his first day went) “This isn’t my first day, so to speak. We’ve been out here for a week in the coaching sessions and every time we come out here on the field it’s like a practice to us. As a coaching staff, we go back in there, we’ll meet and we’ll iron some things out every day and try to get better every day.”

(on why Andre Johnson wasn’t at mini-camp) “It’s voluntary. Again, we just coach who shows up.”

(on if things ran as smoothly as he anticipated today) “I thought it was. From drill-to-drill and the guys understanding the tempo of things, for a first day, I thought we got off to a good start.”

(on how he pleased he is at the way the players have adapted to what he wants in his system) “Again, these guys are professional football players. I think from the first day, we told them every year is different. Every year in the NFL there’s change. There’s different players, there’s different coaches and part of being an NFL football player and an NFL coach is being able to adapt to change and I think these guys have adapted well to this point.”

(on how important it was to get this work in before the rookie class comes in after the draft) “We want the vets to be able to take a leadership role when the rookies get here and understand how we do practice, the tempo of practice, where the drills are, what’s the offensive field? The defensive field? How we do special teams. So I think it’s definitely important to have these practices with these guys that have played in the pros for a little bit and then when the rookies get here, they just get in line, keep their mouths shut and follow the lead.”

(on his first impressions of the team’s quarterbacks) “We’ve really enjoyed working with these guys to this point. These guys are smart. They show up every day. They get extra work, all three of them. We’ve enjoyed working with them.”

(on if he has a timetable for Brian Cushing) “No.”
REST OF THE QUOTES

A disconcerting response from OB on the Cushing question. Cushing was reported to have a fibula fracture with an ACL. "uncomplicated," this should be a 3 1/2 months max return to play........this is already 7 months. If a timetable for return is not over and done with, I have to be concerned that the injury involved more than an uncomplicated fibula and lateral collateral ligament (LCL) injury......in fact, that it may have somewhat affected/disrupted the ACL repair that he had undergone the season before in the same joint......or the injury involved the joint structures in some other manner. I hope OB's response carries a more benign explanation.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Minicamp quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
A disconcerting response from OB on the Cushing question...
I wouldn't read much into his "no". I don't think we'll be getting much injury info from OB -- Belichick school. At this point, he may not even know. But if you put a timetable on it you'll have to deal with it w/media again.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some HT.com quotes from OB:

REST OF THE QUOTES

A disconcerting response from OB on the Cushing question. Cushing was reported to have a fibula fracture with an ACL. "uncomplicated," this should be a 3 1/2 months max return to play........this is already 7 months. If a timetable for return is not over and done with, I have to be concerned that the injury involved more than an uncomplicated fibula and lateral collateral ligament (LCL) injury......in fact, that it may have somewhat affected/disrupted the ACL repair that he had undergone the season before in the same joint......or the injury involved the joint structures in some other manner. I hope OB's response carries a more benign explanation.
OB said tha the didn't have a timetable for return, not that the timetable hadn't been completed.
Cush eyeing week 1 return.
Not much to infer from that, either.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't read too much in that. O'Brien is VERY much focused on talking about the guys working on the field and not the guys who are not.

Cushing was working out on side field. Just not doing team drills/plays. That's pretty common with recovering players. Other players not participating were JJo, Brennan Williams, Trevardo Williams, Andy Cruse.

Biggest issue team usually has with Cushing is that he is one speed. So they tend to hold him back. There is no reason why he needs to be out on the field right now.
Old 05-06-2014   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I first started writing a blog because writing on the Texans was thin.

There are many more outlets now.

The reasons I continue now are more limited, and my blogging is more limited now by choice. No reason for me to write many daily news stories because they are being written and I'd rather do other stuff. One of the reasons I continue blog is because more often than not it is fun, and I love Texans fans, and because of my blog stuff, I can do things for all of us.

One of these things is to answer questions about what is happening at closed sessions. There's some limitations given media restrictions in general, but even with those restrictions, I can answer a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, given the Texans circumstances, a lot of the stuff we want to know, right now is pretty much unanswerable.

So, in sum, if you have questions about minicamp stuff or other stuff, let me know, and I'll answer in this thread. I'll check back when I can.

Old 05-06-2014   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Notice any recurring themes...?

Quote:
(on if there is anything he can see out at a three-day mini-camp that could influence the draft) “I think you do come out here and you definitely evaluate every position. You evaluate, obviously, the individual player and then you evaluate the depth at that position. The majority of our 2014 team is more than likely, based on the draft and how many rookies are going to make the team, the majority of the team is here on the field, so you’re evaluating as it relates to the draft but also as it relates to next year’s team and the depth at each position and all those things.”

(on how much he talks about what happened last season) “We don’t talk about it that much as it relates to the whole season. We show tape. There were plays that Houston ran last year that are similar to the plays we run. So we’ll show them, ‘Hey, here’s how we did it at this place and here’s how you guys did it last year,’ so they can see themselves on tape. They called it apples, we called it oranges. But as far as addressing all the things that whatever—I wasn’t here. I was not here last year so I have really no idea. So I would be very remiss in addressing anything that happened last year having not been here.”

(on if he senses that the players sense that this year is a new year) “Ask them. I don’t sense what they sense and sense this and sense that. I think that’s something you need to ask them.”

T Duane Brown
(on if today’s practice felt different) “Yeah, it’s a little different feel out here. It’s a very intense staff. They really focus on attention to detail, working on little things that hurt us a lot as a team before. I think it’s going to make us better. Today everybody was pretty locked in and we’re all working hard and looking forward to the future.”

(on how the offense will be different under Coach O’Brien) “I don’t want to get too much into detail. You’ll see when we get going. It’s a very exciting offense. I love it. It is different. It is different than what we’ve been doing before. It’s a very intricate offense. For me personally, as an offensive lineman, you just have certain things you know and you don’t have to change too much of it.”

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
(on adapting to the terminology and the new offensive system) “I think that’s exactly it, adapting to a new language. The great thing is that pace that we’ve gone at so far. They’ve been very, very detailed. We’ve been able to take our time a little bit and really focus on the little things and I think it showed out here today. It’s still very early obviously but the attention to detail and just the expectations of perfection are a couple things that really stuck out to me today that I think are really going to make us a better team.”

(on the learning curve in a new offense) “It’s a steep learning curve. I’ve been in a lot of different offenses. I’ve never been in this offense. Just like my rookie year, I’ve had to come in and learn something new. That being said, just in terms of conceptually different things we’re trying to do, there’s only so many ways you can do it. So there’s stuff I’ve done over my career that I can pull from those experiences and apply it to this. There’s going to be learning every day and trying to get a grasp of this system.”

(on what it was like having Head Coach Bill O’Brien out there) “Coach O’Brien, I think what you see right away is his expectations are high. His expectations are high of everybody that’s on the field, whether you’re a starter, whether you’re a guy at the bottom trying to learn a job. What we learn in the meeting rooms you’re expected to know when we step on the field for walk-throughs and everything that we’ve gone over for the day. Mistakes, the mental mistakes aren’t really acceptable and I think that demand of perfection is going to be a nice thing around here.”
Old 05-06-2014   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
OB said tha the didn't have a timetable for return, not that the timetable hadn't been completed.
Cush eyeing week 1 return.
Not much to infer from that, either.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say (especially after reading your link I quoted below). By 7 months, following his purported injuries, he should be back to as good as he will be. Bringing him back "slowly" should not be a concern at this point if the injury only consisted of simple fibula fracture with LCL tear, and if there are not other identified structural concerns.

Quote:
Cushing's participation in the Texans' voluntary workout program is a step in the right direction. However, it has yet to be determined if and how much he will participate in organized team activities which begin later this month. Despite being medically cleared to return to football activities, Cushing still wants to take things slow to ensure he makes a full recovery.
A "full recovery" should have been already into the books..........by the beginning of February.

I wasn't concerned about the straight-forward nature of his injury (and I've written very positive posts for Cushing's return from his alleged injuries) until now. Obviously, we'll see.
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2014   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say (especially after reading your link I quoted below). By 7 months, following his purported injuries, he should be back to as good as he will be. Bringing him back "slowly" should not be a concern at this point if the injury only consisted of simple fibula fracture with LCL tear, and if there are not other identified structural concerns.

A "full recovery" should have been already into the books..........by the beginning of February.

I wasn't concerned about the straight-forward nature of his injury (and I've written very positive posts for Cushing's return from his alleged injuries) until now. Obviously, we'll see.
Quote:
Cushing's participation in the Texans' voluntary workout program is a step in the right direction. However, it has yet to be determined if and how much he will participate in organized team activities which begin later this month. Despite being medically cleared to return to football activities, Cushing still wants to take things slow to ensure he makes a full recovery.
I'm saying that all BOB said was that he didn't have a timetable on Cushing. Cushing is medically cleared to resume football activities.
It seems more likely that Cush is being very cautious right now and there very well could be nothing to see here. Of course, I could be wrong....

EDIT: Maybe Cushing has developed the same opinion of the Texans medical staff that you and many others (me included) have.
Old 05-06-2014   #9
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm saying that all BOB said was that he didn't have a timetable on Cushing. Cushing is medically cleared to resume football activities.
It seems more likely that Cush is being very cautious right now and there very well could be nothing to see here. Of course, I could be wrong....

EDIT: Maybe Cushing has developed the same opinion of the Texans medical staff that you and many others (me included) have.
That's what I'm thinking. (hoping really)

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #10
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Its pretty unlike Andre for him to not be there.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

if Cushing is a no go, the draft is more important than I thought.
Old 05-06-2014   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:

Technically, media was not supposed to ask ANY questions about players not participating. The two questions about Cushing and Andre were in violation of the media policy. So I wouldn't interpret anything from his answer whatsoever.

They have often held out Cushing from various practice sessions, whether to increase his conditioning, protecting him from himself, even when he's said he's okay. I'd wrap him in bubble wrap.

Nobody seemed overly alarmed with his absence.
Old 05-06-2014   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Its pretty unlike Andre for him to not be there.
This is true.

That is what I wonder about more than Cushing. Because he is often at things that he doesn't participate in because preserving him for the season.

Could just be him doing his Miami workout thing. Could just be him taking a mental break as an older player. Could be him getting one of those surgery things where we don't find out he had a surgery until he just shows up. (That happened one year). This date was moved up earlier than usual because new staff, so it may be something that just didn't work for him.

I'm poking around a little bit about this stuff.
Old 05-06-2014   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog...culture-shock/

Agree with most of this. Though I don't think Foster looked bad last year before he got hurt.
Old 05-06-2014   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Technically, media was not supposed to ask ANY questions about players not participating. The two questions about Cushing and Andre were in violation of the media policy. So I wouldn't interpret anything from his answer whatsoever.

They have often held out Cushing from various practice sessions, whether to increase his conditioning, protecting him from himself, even when he's said he's okay. I'd wrap him in bubble wrap.

Nobody seemed overly alarmed with his absence.
Truly appreciate that bit of info, and as always, your perspective. I still remain guarded re. the need for bubble wrap at this point.
Old 05-06-2014   #16
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre not being there stood out to me too.

New coach new system. You'd think everyone would want to be there.

Do we get a roll call. What 63 players are there?

How many do we have under contract?
Old 05-06-2014   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Andre not being there stood out to me too.
Maybe had prior commitments...don't

New coach new system. You'd think everyone would want to be there. Agree with this.
Do we get a roll call. What 63 players are there? I think that would violate the new CBA? If you stated who was there, you could infer who isn't. This is voluntary.
How many do we have under contract? All of them.
Answers in red
Old 05-06-2014   #18
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 87036 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw some pics, and what stood out to me were the plain jerseys with no names, and no logos on the helmets. Is it just because they are minicamp jerseys, or is O’Brien going with you have to earn the name and logo system? If its the latter, I dig that.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #19
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I saw some pics, and what stood out to me were the plain jerseys with no names, and no logos on the helmets. Is it just because they are minicamp jerseys, or is O’Brien going with you have to earn the name and logo system? If its the latter, I dig that.
He answered "the uniforms were being reconditioned" but I suspect there's some team building behind that.
Old 05-06-2014   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
He answered "the uniforms were being reconditioned" but I suspect there's some team building behind that.
Right up there with having "recognized player" photos/posters removed. Nothing comes before the team kinda theme.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read