Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-17-2012   #81
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd round Brandon Brooks, G,

Brandon Brooks video:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player...nemen/29070976

1st team was Mizzou with a couple of DTs signed as UDFA (Hamilton to the Raiders and Resonno to the Vikings).
Brooks played RG in this game

2nd team was UK in 2009 (when Brooks played LT as a Soph).

#91 (whom Brooks took on a couple of time in that video clip) was Corey Peters (a Senior and a 3rd round pick by the Falcons - he started 15 games as a rookie and ended up the year with 31 solos and 9 assists per team page - different numbers from nfl.com, which shows 25 and 8).
Also, he started all 15 games he played in 2011.

#55 was Dequin Evans, an UDFA OLB who was on the Bengals PS in 2011 (he fits right in with them - from juvenile detention to a 4-game suspension due to PED).

Brooks showed excellent quickness for such a big man.

Last edited by 76Texan; 05-17-2012 at 01:05 PM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #82
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Brandon Brooks video:

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player...nemen/29070976

1st team was Mizzou with a couple of DTs signed as UDFA (Hamilton to the Raiders and Resonno to the Vikings).
Brooks played RG in this game

2nd team was UK in 2009 (when Brooks played LT as a Soph).

#91 (whom Brooks took on a couple of time in that video clip) was Corey Peters (a Senior and a 3rd round pick by the Falcons - he started 15 games as a rookie and ended up the year with 31 solos and 9 assists per team page - different numbers from nfl.com, which shows 25 and 8).
Also, he started all 15 games he played in 2011.

#55 was Dequin Evans, an UDFA OLB who was on the Bengals PS in 2011 (he fits right in with them - from juvenile detention to a 4-game suspension due to PED).

Brooks showed excellent quickness for such a big man.
Dude is legit. Great use of his hands, quicker in those clips than the clips shown on draft day by NFLN. He was playing LT some too.

He looks good at Guard or Tackle. If he dominates in camp and gets some quality reps in preseason, he could easily challenge for starter. 2nd string depth at worst. Caldwell has his work cut out for him because Brooks could earn RG by what I see and hear about him.

But will Kubiak tend to go with vets and keep the rooks reserved?
Old 05-17-2012   #83
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Dude is legit. Great use of his hands, quicker in those clips than the clips shown on draft day by NFLN. He was playing LT some too.

He looks good at Guard or Tackle. If he dominates in camp and gets some quality reps in preseason, he could easily challenge for starter. 2nd string depth at worst. Caldwell has his work cut out for him because Brooks could earn RG by what I see and hear about him.

But will Kubiak tend to go with vets and keep the rooks reserved?
I think he's got the perfect RB who is patient and has vision . The guards have always been lighter and quick and this dude is huge , quick , and strong . He won't have to chop to put you on the ground and he can keep going .
Old 05-18-2012   #84
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The more and more I watched Brandon Brooks, the more and more I'm impressed.

I've watched 5 full games so far and a ton of video clips.

One of the series you can watch if you have time is the ESPN highlights.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...mi-oh-redhawks

They have video clips for about 9 or 10 games.

Also, you can google the two leading receivers' names: Nick Harwell and Chris Givens for some more game tapes.
Remember that in 2010 he played LT and in 2011 he played RG.

I also watched highlights from the opponents defense (team and/or individual - like Derek Wolfe, Cincy Bearcats).

What I look for is how he did in different situations.

1. The Redhawks allowed 3.92 sacks per game.
The only two times I saw Brooks involved in a sack (in some 9-10 games) were when the QB had to move and basically "ran into the sack".
What I saw is a 6'5 guy that plays with good pad level.
He has much quicker footwork than one tends to think.

2. He did his job on each of the run shown (short yardage - TD), just as one would like to see.

3. I hardly saw any pressure given up by Brooks.
Yes, he failed to pick up a blitz once in a long while; however, we don't know for sure what the protection call was. Besides, it's about scheme and not ability.
We also want to note that the protection scheme often calls for a G to help the C as a direct path to the inside is usually more dangerous than an OT getting beat.

4. Brooks is quick enough to cut block effectively (see the Western Michigan game - if you don't have time to watch a lot of film.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkd3toFM94Y

5. I saw more demonstrations of his quickness on pulls and second level blocks.
(Better than what I saw with Caldwell in his Senior year as the Center for the Tides.)

6. His long arms (34") were definite assets when guys get a jump on him; he was usually quick enough to recover and redirect the defender with his arms as much as possible.

7. In the East-West Shrine game, Brooks played very well (as he did the whole week of practice.)
He played LG (his third position).
He went against 3 UDFAs signees and a 4th round pick.
He dominated them for the most part.
The only guy that gave him a battle was Nicolas Jean-Baptiste.
The reason: NJB is nearly 4" shorter and therefore has the built-in advantage of leverage.
NJB didn't do any harm though.
Old 05-18-2012   #85
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Would you consider Brooks at LG and move Smith to RG?
Old 05-18-2012   #86
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Overall, I think Brooks will definitely challenge for a starting spot.
I don't know when or whether it will happen, but Caldwell and Smith need to play well to earn their keep.
It will bode well for the offense either way.
I feel much better about the O-line now than I did when we learned that both Winston and Briesel were gone.
Old 05-18-2012   #87
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Would you consider Brooks at LG and move Smith to RG?
I think the running game would be better with Brooks at RG because of the overall scheme. (Don't have time to go into all the details, but maybe Rey can give us a little insight.)
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2012   #88
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Also, Brooks played for 3 different OCs and he had seen many different blocking schemes, including the gap scheme and the zone blocking scheme.

In the Shrine game, Brad Childress (ex-Vikings coach who is now with the Browns) installed some of each, and Brooks did well in them all.

One of the things I like is how powerful he can hold up a defender with one arm while waiting for the second guy to take over.

I just can't wait to see what he can do with the Texans.
Old 05-18-2012   #89
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

76? Have you taken any time to take a look at Ben Jones, yet?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #90
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
76? Have you taken any time to take a look at Ben Jones, yet?
I'm finally done with 12 games, including the Senior Bowl.
With a day off today, I should have a report on him shortly.
Old 05-21-2012   #91
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm finally done with 12 games, including the Senior Bowl.
With a day off today, I should have a report on him shortly.
Excellent. Can't wait to hear what you saw.
Old 05-22-2012   #92
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
(on if G Brandon Brooks could push G Antoine Caldwell for the starting right guard spot) “No doubt, I think it’s going to be very competitive. I think he even has some possibility to play outside but we’ll leave him inside for right now.”
Sounds like Kubiak intends to try Brooks at tackle at some point.
Old 05-22-2012   #93
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
Sounds like Kubiak intends to try Brooks at tackle at some point.
Interesting that kubiak is being so open about the competition at RG. That's a pretty matter of fact statement.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #94
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks at RG just makes Myers (Center) and Butler (RT) that much better.

I don't think Brooks will handle NFL edge rushers very well, so RG is the safer bet for Brooks. Sandwich him in between Myers and Butler and he'll consume interior DL and any gap busting LB.
Old 05-22-2012   #95
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Chron Article on Brooks.

Quote:
A major plus for Brooks is his versatility. He made double-digit starts at both guard spots and left tackle in college. Moving around like that gave him a good feel for how the line works. It also helps that he’s a student of the game. If there’s such a thing as a football geek, it’s Brooks. He rented an apartment three minutes from Reliant Stadium so he can drop in any time.

Working weekends

“This is my full-time job now,” he said. “Coming in on Saturdays and Sundays is no big deal. I love football. To get an extra hour or two (of film study) that will help me out here, it’s definitely worth it in my book.”
Old 05-23-2012   #96
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
can't wait for this mammoth of a man pancake the living daylights out of opposition DTs
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #97
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

3 minutes from Reliant?

I hope he's in a safe area....
Old 05-23-2012   #98
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The way Caldwell's played the past couple years is not good enough imo. If Brooks learns and plays as advertised, then I'd expect him to win the job easily. Unless, of course, Caldwell can rise to the challenge. Which I doubt considering he's been unable to unseat Brisiel in the past.

I still have a good feeling on Butler if he can stay healthy. To me, that RG spot is the weakest link, by far.
Old 05-23-2012   #99
Rey
Hall of Fame

I think the competition is going to be fierce. Caldwell is no slouch.
Old 05-23-2012   #100
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 9100 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
3 minutes from Reliant?

I hope he's in a safe area....
Hey! I love three minutes from reliant! Isn't bad at all..Just don't go to some areas!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read