Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-25-2012   #441
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd Round DeVier Posey WR Ohio State

Schaub's play fakes are not the reason that Andre and other receivers get so wide open. Sorry.

Not that he doesn't do a good job of executing it, but he's not even close to the main reason the play action is so successful at drawing defenders up.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #442
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 62228 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
How else do you explain #80 with no one within 10+ yards of him on so many occasions when defenses are designed to stop the guy ??.
This amazes me too, and not just that it happens, but how often it happens.
Old 05-25-2012   #443
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Schaub's play fakes are not the reason that Andre and other receivers get so wide open. Sorry.

Not that he doesn't do a good job of executing it, but he's not even close to the main reason the play action is so successful at drawing defenders up.
Running the ball the way they do to go along with the play action sure helps .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #444
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Schaubs play fakes arent the only reason but they ARE a contributing factor.

For those who dont think that Schaubs play fakes arent that good .... you need to go back and watch some replays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Running the ball the way they do to go along with the play action sure helps .
They were able to get the same type of results on play action when Ron Dayne was the primary back ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #445
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

For those who dont think that Schaubs play fakes arent that good .... you need to go back and watch some replays.

They were able to get the same type of results on play action when Ron Dayne was the primary back ....
Yep! The scheme and the quarterback are huge factors!
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012   #446
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Yep! The scheme and the quarterback are huge factors!
Dont forget about #80.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 05-25-2012   #447
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dont forget about #80.
Never could! That goes without saying... just re-enforcing that Kubiak puts them in a position to succeed
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2012   #448
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Never could! That goes without saying... just re-enforcing that Kubiak puts them in a position to succeed
At least on one side of the ball ..... The combination of & .... solves the other side.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 05-26-2012   #449
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 266 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

i thought this thread was about Posey lol Schuab has a good play action.. because he does the same thing on every run play. He pauses and rolls out on every zone running plays. The play action it's self isn't good but setting it up. I played QB and I remember my coach drilling that into my head lol
Texan_Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012   #450
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Who said his play fakes aren't good?

They also got the same results on play action when other qb's have been in the game.

And Arian becoming who he is has helped open things up tremendously. The threat of Arian and the fact that the oline looks exactly the same is a much bigger factor than what schaub does.

And no the play action was not as successful when our running game sucked.
Old 05-26-2012   #451
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And no the play action was not as successful when our running game sucked.
Do you have any facts behind that assertion? Because everything I've seen indicates the opposite.
Old 05-26-2012   #452
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Do you have any facts behind that assertion? Because everything I've seen indicates the opposite.
Lucky is right, even when our running game was bad we had one of the best play action passing games in the league.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012   #453
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I remember specifically in the totally suck running game season thinking they were going to have to abandon it and commenting to folks that I was surprised at how it continued to work so well.
Old 05-26-2012   #454
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah, I remember specifically in the totally suck running game season thinking they were going to have to abandon it and commenting to folks that I was surprised at how it continued to work so well.
I don't think there's any statistical way to corroborate it, but I clearly remember numerous comments during the 2009 season (#30 in the NFL in rushing yards and #1 in the NFL in passing yards) expressing pleasant surprise about the effectiveness of the play action passing game. Seems like the comments usually started something like "I'm not sure why it's still working but..."
Old 05-26-2012   #455
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I totally agree with Lucky on this one. It always surprised me how hard teams (and camera men) bit on our play-action fakes when our running game sucked. Did they bite "AS hard"? I don't know. I thought they did. They definitely bit REALLY hard on them, they might just bite a little bit harder now.

Here's a little something I remembered from 2009, early in the year before Slaton developed as a threat and before we'd had a single back run for over 100 yards in a game:

Warning the 49ers about Schaub's play action fakes.

One of the take aways of that is that in 2009 by the time we played the Niners, Schaub was posting a 133 passer rating on play action fake passes. And at that time,

And then the next week, Schaub killed the Niners with the play-action.

Quote:
Schaub's latest touchdown pass, a 42-yarder to a wide-open Owen Daniels, followed a play-action fake that fooled the 49ers. It fooled me, too. I was watching the running back for about three steps before realizing Schaub was standing alone in the backfield, watching Daniels break into the clear.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012   #456
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No I don't have any facts just like no one has any facts to the contrary. I didn't say it didn't work, I said it didn't work as well.

And everything I've seen indicates that's true. Teams bite a lot harder on the play action stretch with this version of the texans than they have in the past.
Old 05-26-2012   #457
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I totally agree with Lucky on this one. It always surprised me how hard teams (and camera men) bit on our play-action fakes when our running game sucked. Did they bite "AS hard"? I don't know. I thought they did. They definitely bit REALLY hard on them, they might just bite a little bit harder now.

Here's a little something I remembered from 2009, early in the year before Slaton developed as a threat and before we'd had a single back run for over 100 yards in a game:

Warning the 49ers about Schaub's play action fakes.

One of the take aways of that is that in 2009 by the time we played the Niners, Schaub was posting a 133 passer rating on play action fake passes. And at that time,

And then the next week, Schaub killed the Niners with the play-action.
None of that proves anything other than the play action is successful which is why kubiak runs it in the first place.

And in the link you posted they talk a out the o line and the scheme.

And in the quote you posted they talk about the running back.

Kubiak's stretch play action is very successful. Have not disputed that. Schaub does a good job executing his play fakes and I even said earlier that what he does after the play fake is far more impressive than the actual play fake.

What I am disputing is that schaubs play fakes are what makes the play action tick. Out of all the factors I'd say it's probably last. O line, rb, wr's then schaub. It's the entire action of the offense. If he's doing a play action fake just dropping straight back defenses don't bit as hard.

The scheme helps take away the importance of individual players and puts in on the entire action of the play. That's why teams respect it regardless of whether schaub is running it or whether Yates or sage ran it. That's why they respect it whether it's Arian or bad slaton.

But it starts with the o line. Their action is the biggest individual factor in selling the run. Period. And really, they aren't doing anything earth shattering either. Just playing within the scheme.
Old 05-26-2012   #458
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No I don't have any facts just like no one has any facts to the contrary.
Stats.com tracks passer rating for play action. I thought you might have access to that when you made that statement. You don't. Maybe someone else does.
Old 05-26-2012   #459
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
None of that proves anything other than the play action is successful which is why kubiak runs it in the first place.

And in the link you posted they talk a out the o line and the scheme.

And in the quote you posted they talk about the running back.

Kubiak's stretch play action is very successful. Have not disputed that. Schaub does a good job executing his play fakes and I even said earlier that what he does after the play fake is far more impressive than the actual play fake.

What I am disputing is that schaubs play fakes are what makes the play action tick. Out of all the factors I'd say it's probably last. O line, rb, wr's then schaub. It's the entire action of the offense. If he's doing a play action fake just dropping straight back defenses don't bit as hard.

The scheme helps take away the importance of individual players and puts in on the entire action of the play. That's why teams respect it regardless of whether schaub is running it or whether Yates or sage ran it. That's why they respect it whether it's Arian or bad slaton.

But it starts with the o line. Their action is the biggest individual factor in selling the run. Period. And really, they aren't doing anything earth shattering either. Just playing within the scheme.
Im just gonna agree to disagree and move on ..... So much of this is subjective anyway ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 05-27-2012   #460
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And everything I've seen indicates that's true. Teams bite a lot harder on the play action stretch with this version of the texans than they have in the past.
It is true for the most part...teams with sub-par running games can't go out there play-action passing like the Texans do multiple times a game and expect it to work as well... The running game the '10 and '11 Texans had makes it a lot easier to succeed with it multiple times, because even if the D thinks it might be play-action, they know the Texans are just as likely to kill them on the ground (the only reason Jacoby was able to burn Reed in the regular season)... with a sub-par running game, the D can afford to keep a man out of the box...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read