Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2012   #301
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76785 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd Round DeVier Posey WR Ohio State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Lets get one thing straight. I do not think only OSU and OSU players break the rules. So dont even bother arguing that. But I refuse to ignore rule breaking by someone just because others who have not been caught do it. I can only view a player with the information given to me. Regardless of who breaks the rules, I do think OSU needs to clean up their program. But thats another debate.

Lastly, I am not trying to force anyone to think he has 'character' concerns. I said that I view him as a player with 'character' flaws and that it surprised me because we usually dont draft players that have done something like this. If you want to view his actions as understandable then go ahead. I have already stated that some of us will view it differently.
Could you please provide us some examples of players who have had these type of character concerns where those concerns being overlooked has come back to bite the NFL team?
Old 05-02-2012   #302
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I view him as a player with 'character' flaws
Such as?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #303
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Such as?
Well, to Blake's point, Posey's character flaw is that he's a rule-breaker and he doesn't have foresight and possibly has issues with determining the "right" thing to do. The NCAA said "don't do this" and Posey went out and did it. He had to know that jeopardized his NFL career (bad foresight). And when asked, he said he'd do it again (problem determining the right thing to do.)

I don't agree with Blake on this but I see his side of the argument.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #304
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Could you please provide us some examples of players who have had these type of character concerns where those concerns being overlooked has come back to bite the NFL team?
Right after you provide examples of players who have had these type of character concerns where those concerns being overlooked did not come back to bite the NFL team.

Quote:
Such as?
I already stated them.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #305
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Eric Dickerson...dude just fell apart... The character issues displayed while at SMU should have been a red flag...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #306
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Well, to Blake's point, Posey's character flaw is that he's a rule-breaker and he doesn't have foresight and possibly has issues with determining the "right" thing to do. The NCAA said "don't do this" and Posey went out and did it. He had to know that jeopardized his NFL career (bad foresight). And when asked, he said he'd do it again (problem determining the right thing to do.)
Ok.

Well then I disagree.

It was a genuine question. I thought maybe he had done some other things that I hadn't heard about throughout the course of his life.

I think there is a big difference betwen having "character flaws" and "making some mistakes".

I think we've all made mistakes and done some things we may not be proud of, but I don't think it means we have character flaws.

And then on top of all that, this bad decision or mistake he made was pretty mild in comparison.

Breaking rules doesn't mean you have character flaws either. By that logic, the people that founded this country had character flaws because.
Old 05-02-2012   #307
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't agree with Blake on this but I see his side of the argument.
Thank you. I am not saying he is a horrible person or a some super villain.
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2012   #308
Blake
MMQB

Quote:

I think there is a big difference betwen having "character flaws" and "making some mistakes".
Another thing. I put 'character' flaws in quotes because alot of things get lumped into that category. When talking draft stock, anytime there is a personal question mark its classified as a 'character flaw'. There are different degree's of character flaws and I think that is where the disconnect is between myself and some of the other posters in this thread.
Old 05-02-2012   #309
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And that's really where the problem comes in: "TYPE" of character concerns.

NCAA rules violations get lumped together but there are really whole different sets of them: money issues, PED issues, drug issues, and I have a feeling there are probably more sorts of categories and types I'm not remembering.

I don't know if I even know where to search or what to search for to find out these things.

Eric Dickerson was involved in a play for pay scandal, right? Cush had PED issues, although they were never proved.

Maurice Clarett? He had all sorts of legal issues.

Lawrence Phillips... more legal issues.

But I don't have an exhaustive list, so I can't say for sure.

Guys like Clarett and Phillips, with issues with the law where they're acting like thugs, are in a different "class" to me than a guy who's doing things that are on the edge of what the NCAA allows and are totally legal.
Old 05-02-2012   #310
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76785 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right after you provide examples of players who have had these type of character concerns where those concerns being overlooked did not come back to bite the NFL team.

I already stated them.
I already provided Andre's name, Reggies Bush had similar type issues at USC, and while his career hasn't been stellar, his character concerns have never caused a problem. In the NBA, I believe Chris Weber had a issue with accepting booster payments outside of NCAA rules, and I'm not aware of any problems for any of his NBA teams as a result of these character concerns. Derek Rose had some allegations related to his time at (or prior to) Memphis, and unless character concerns cause torn ACL's, I'm not aware of problems with him.

Terelle Pryor was involved in the same tattoo scandal that Posey was, and I'm not aware of any problems that exist in Oakland because of those character concern.

Your turn.
Old 05-02-2012   #311
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
And that's really where the problem comes in: "TYPE" of character concerns.

NCAA rules violations get lumped together but there are really whole different sets of them: money issues, PED issues, drug issues, and I have a feeling there are probably more sorts of categories and types I'm not remembering.

I don't know if I even know where to search or what to search for to find out these things.

Eric Dickerson was involved in a play for pay scandal, right? Cush had PED issues, although they were never proved.

Maurice Clarett? He had all sorts of legal issues.

Lawrence Phillips... more legal issues.

But I don't have an exhaustive list, so I can't say for sure.

Guys like Clarett and Phillips, with issues with the law where they're acting like thugs, are in a different "class" to me than a guy who's doing things that are on the edge of what the NCAA allows and are totally legal.
And that's why I specified that issues of violence or self destruction are completely valid, but we have no reason to believe those type of concerns exist with Posey.

Edit: I actually thought about using James and Dickerson as examples in my previous post, but to the best of my knowledge, there is neither proof nor any sort of confession that either accepted cash - even though it's generally assumed they did.
Old 05-02-2012   #312
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny how differently we look at those who get caught (Posey), accused (Cam Newton) and those who are never accsued or caught (a fair number of players who enter the NFL).

Breaking NCAA rules does not, and should never, equate to breaking the law.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #313
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
Funny how differently we look at those who get caught (Posey), accused (Cam Newton) and those who are never accsued or caught (a fair number of players who enter the NFL).

Breaking NCAA rules does not, and should never, equate to breaking the law.
You change your user name?
Old 05-02-2012   #314
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
You change your user name?
Yeah, felt weird with the "-Boy" section at 33. It worked when I was 14 and mainly posting on Star Wars/Sci-fi boards...now not so much.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #315
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
How does a big time weapon @ WR become a hidden gem, the NCAA.

This is one of my favorite videos of DeVier. Big body, physical, like his body lean in & out of breaks along with excellent use of hands this is how you create separation throughout route tree. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4cabr5OT7o
With the exception of that first catch, the other plays I saw on that clip he'd get called for offensive pass interference every time. Too much hand fighting early in the play and at the end of the play just before the ball gets there, IMO.

But yeah...he really drives out of the snap and has crisp footwork from start to finish.
Old 05-02-2012   #316
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

There are speed limit signs posted, and I doubt any of you have NEVER went over the speed limit.

Turn signal, most people I see don't even know what that is.

Ever tried to beat a yellow light and it turned red while you were still in the intersection?

Ever posted on TT while you were at work? How does your boss feel about that?

Also, that little tag on the mattress, how many of you still have it on there?

Take the plank out of your own eye, as it were.

Bunch of "Rule breakers" with "character flaws". The LOT of you!!
Old 05-02-2012   #317
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, enough already with the whole "is what he did really TRULY bad character or not" angle.

All I care about is this: Is a player's mindset in the right place? Is he a guy who just shows up and gets his work done...or does he brainfart and engage in shenanigans (no matter how trivial it might be to some people) that cause him to be scrutinized in negative ways?

The Arian Foster tweet-a-thon saga last Aug/Sept is an example of that. Is what the guy does GOOD overall or is it a distraction?

Missing 10 games of your senior season is NOT a good thing, overall, in terms of being able to judge his 2011 season against prior years of play. Plus, is it an indication that he gets distracted and drifts from the main objective of being a great football player? Will this guy miss meetings because he runs some side business on the side? Will his mind be on the underground Pokemon games he's organizing in vacant warehouses throughout the Houston area? It's something I want to know. Will this guy be 100% all about the game, or will he brain fart and love others things (like tattoos or selling vacation packages, etc.).

I think it's a fair question. Is this a guy who works angles all the time?
Old 05-02-2012   #318
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Ok, enough already with the whole "is what he did really TRULY bad character or not" angle.

All I care about is this: Is a player's mindset in the right place? Is he a guy who just shows up and gets his work done...or does he brainfart and engage in shenanigans (no matter how trivial it might be to some people) that cause him to be scrutinized in negative ways?

The Arian Foster tweet-a-thon saga last Aug/Sept is an example of that. Is what the guy does GOOD overall or is it a distraction?

Missing 10 games of your senior season is NOT a good thing, overall, in terms of being able to judge his 2011 season against prior years of play. Plus, is it an indication that he gets distracted and drifts from the main objective of being a great football player? Will this guy miss meetings because he runs some side business on the side? Will his mind be on the underground Pokemon games he's organizing in vacant warehouses throughout the Houston area? It's something I want to know. Will this guy be 100% all about the game, or will he brain fart and love others things (like tattoos or selling vacation packages, etc.).

Let me put it this way, this is a guy who was suspended for 10 games and still showed up for all the meetings and practiced just as if he was playing. He's a guy who did anything he could to help the team win and not be a distraction.

At least, that's what I've heard several people say.

And that's why this whole "rulebreaking" thing becomes a non-issue.
Old 05-02-2012   #319
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

He's human, so no he's not going to be 100% football all the time.

I don't see what's wrong with guys having other passions. As long as it doesn't distract them from performing when they are at work then I don't see what the problem is.

I haven't seen anything that suggests that he isn't commited to the game of football. As a matter fact I heard on the radio that some from the coaching staff were saying that passion was the theme for this draft. They wanted to get guys that were passionate about football.
Old 05-02-2012   #320
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
How does a big time weapon @ WR become a hidden gem, the NCAA.

This is one of my favorite videos of DeVier. Big body, physical, like his body lean in & out of breaks along with excellent use of hands this is how you create separation throughout route tree. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4cabr5OT7o
With the exception of that first catch, the other plays I saw on that clip he'd get called for offensive pass interference every time. Too much hand fighting early in the play and at the end of the play just before the ball gets there, IMO.
I'll give you the third play (barely...i'm 50/50 on it) , but the 2nd play is a prime example of almost every encounter between a WR and DB in that situation, and most are no-calls... DB puts hand on shoulder, WR slaps it away, DB taps, WR taps back... That is rarely called and if so earns a "Baad caallll... come on, Ref, let the boys play" from the color guy...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read