Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2012   #261
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd Round DeVier Posey WR Ohio State

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
GP, in all honesty are you talking today or when the pick was made? From where I was sitting all I can recall is weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth when the pick was announced. I'm pretty sure IRC. And it's still going on to some extent.
Coyotes. Interesting animals. At night, out in the country, you hear them yelping and howling...it sounds like there's 20 of them. But in fact, there's only 3 or 4. They throw their voice in ways that make it almost like yodeling...so it SOUNDS like there's more of them than there are.

Me and rmartin were the coyotes that draft day. Everyone else was telling us to hush and that we don't know anything, and then the name-calling...oh the name calling that was going on...it was awesome.

If anything, later that evening and the next few days afterward is when others starting souring on the pick and expressing it on the board. But when it happened? Everybody was parroting the scouting report that said he would've been ranked a 1st or 2nd rounder, has great 40 time, has great vertical skill, battles CBs, blah blah blah.

For every comment I made in that thread, there were 4 or 5 posters ragging me out for my comment. So, yeah...it was lopsided that day. It's OK, though...I'm built for punishment. My prefrontal cortex has six-pack abs.
Old 05-01-2012   #262
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Me and rmartin were the coyotes that draft day. Everyone else was telling us to hush and that we don't know anything, and then the name-calling...oh the name calling that was going on...it was awesome.

Who was doing the name calling ?! I havent seen it ..... maybe I have that person on ignore.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #263
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Coyotes. Interesting animals. At night, out in the country, you hear them yelping and howling...it sounds like there's 20 of them. But in fact, there's only 3 or 4. They throw their voice in ways that make it almost like yodeling...so it SOUNDS like there's more of them than there are.

If anything, later that evening and the next few days afterward is when others starting souring on the pick and expressing it on the board. But when it happened? Everybody was parroting the scouting report that said he would've been ranked a 1st or 2nd rounder, has great 40 time, has great vertical skill, battles CBs, blah blah blah.

For every comment I made in that thread, there were 4 or 5 posters ragging me out for my comment. So, yeah...it was lopsided that day. It's OK, though...I'm built for punishment. My prefrontal cortex has six-pack abs.
WHAT, how dare you say that, you don't know what your talking about, LOL, just kidding GP. I have decided to no longer question the picks from smith and company due to the them hitting more often than missing and the obvious improvement of the team since they have taken over. They are hitting at a above average rate which is why they were in the playoffs last year and I think will do even better this year. I think we have a hell of a scouting department that is improving every year, I remember after Kubes first draft they fired a few of the scouting department, it's obvious they take this very seriously and a poor off season is by far the most important thing to building a strong team. I wanted the sexy picks, the TE or even Hill, but I am glad I ain't the one making the picks, now some of these other teams, I swear the average Joe on this message board would pick better than them. There really is some incompetent people running teams out their. I think the first group that started the Texans admitting that they only watched 4 games of the DB P-Burn they traded for was just so unprofessional and incredibly stupid. Every team misses once in a while ( Okoye ), but this staff is rocking it over all.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #264
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Most people's dislike of the Posey pick has nothing to do with his "character issues.

Its the fact that never did a single talking head mention him in the same sentence as Randall , Jeffery , Wright, Hill or Sanu.

Not a single person (outside myself) even mentioned him prior to the draft in the mock section. Everyone thinks its a reach but they dont realize the type of production he put up in the Big Ten's worst passing offense .... with a horrible QB.
When you take the numbers from the three games he played as Sr and translate them across the full season - those totals would have been greater than 50% of that teams entire passing offense. He put up those same numbers the two years prior too .....

People listen to the talking heads when they say he's scared to go across the middle .... they dont go look at film and see he made a living going across the middle and up the seams .... when he wasnt blowing past DB's on the outside and took some big hits in the process.

Everyone wanted Wright , Randall or Hill .... wont it be a shock when he is better than all of the above ?
Thanks for giving me a comfort level. LOL, Posey and Randalls college careers kind of mirror each other. Very talented guys whose QB's were athletic, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn throwing the ball and would take off running instead of stepping up in the pocket and delivering the ball.

What makes me worry about Posey was his tendency to drop the ball at the Sr. Bowl. He could've just been rusty from not playing much. Posey has the Talent to be a #1 someday. It's a matter of how much work he wants to put in. At this point he's like a young Reggie Wayne.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #265
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Thanks for giving me a comfort level. LOL, Posey and Randalls college careers kind of mirror each other. Very talented guys whose QB's were athletic, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn throwing the ball and would take off running instead of stepping up in the pocket and delivering the ball.

What makes me worry about Posey was his tendency to drop the ball at the Sr. Bowl. He could've just been rusty from not playing much. Posey has the Talent to be a #1 someday. It's a matter of how much work he wants to put in. At this point he's like a young Reggie Wayne.
Posey ran his 10 yd split in 1.45 while Randle was 1.52 and Sanu was 1.59 . I bet Martin was quick also and that's what the Texans prefer .
Old 05-01-2012   #266
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Who was doing the name calling ?! I havent seen it ..... maybe I have that person on ignore.
I'd rather not name names. It's not worth the time. It's posters who have a rich tradition of getting overly personal on even the most trivial of conversations.

You're not one of them, obviously, and it wasn't any of the posters you and I have most conversations with.
Old 05-01-2012   #267
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 122253 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

So, is everybody getting more onboard with this pick yet?

1. He wasn't going to last till the 5th or 6th. Anyone who thinks that is dreaming. Hell, the Sporting News had him as 2nd/3rd round. If it was a "reach", it wasn't much of one.

2. 40 times - As already mentioned, the individual teams had him from 4.37 -4.48. He's plenty fast enough, the pros is more about route running anyway.

3. Character issues - A) He sold HIS memorabilia - I guess it isn't really yours until you graduate? B) His job that paid more than it should - I always remember Robbie Benson in One-on-One with his job to water the field...that had automatic sprinklers. This wink, wink stuff never surprises me and it's hard to hold it against the player. I see nothing to suggest he's a thug.
Old 05-01-2012   #268
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

1. He wasn't going to last till the 5th or 6th. Anyone who thinks that is dreaming. Hell, the Sporting News had him as 2nd/3rd round. If it was a "reach", it wasn't much of one.

2. 40 times - As already mentioned, the individual teams had him from 4.37 -4.48. He's plenty fast enough, the pros is more about route running anyway.

3. Character issues - A) He sold HIS memorabilia - I guess it isn't really yours until you graduate? B) His job that paid more than it should - I always remember Robbie Benson in One-on-One with his job to water the field...that had automatic sprinklers. This wink, wink stuff never surprises me and it's hard to hold it against the player. I see nothing to suggest he's a thug.
Sigh....

Well, I guess so.

It was just more fun to gripe about it.
Old 05-01-2012   #269
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I didn't love the pick when it was made because this was not one of the guys on my radar. I thought GP was over-reacting to it but I don't think I called him names about it. The more I've learned about this kid, his circumstances, his stats, his measurables, his abilities, the more I like him.

I've heard some people say that he's only got the talent to be -- at best -- a #2 receiver but I'm with SteelB in thinking he's more talented than that. And what I've seen of his video makes me think he's got the potential to have better hands than he displayed at the Senior Bowl. I think we might have hit a home run with this guy.

But we've got to see him in a Texans Uni running our system before we'll know for sure. What worries me most is that WRs generally take a few years to mature in the NFL. I'm afraid he won't have the instant impact we're all wanting.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #270
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason most of us figured Posey was off Texan board were character & off field issues. So Texans investigated character/background & came away satisfied with the person/player.

WR is tough to evaluate but Posey is superior to Randle or Sanu in his ability to separate in man coverage & create windows to target (combination of size/speed equal). I looked at all other available WR prospects with that pick & subject to clean character it's not out of question for Texan system & need, that Posey was BPA. So that is where they had him graded on their draft board.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #271
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think some of the blacklash or mistrust for the pick resides in he wasn't in mention with the other second tier WRs in the draft like Hill, Randle, or Sanu. What makes them all kind of strange is none of them come from notable passing teams really. Theres also conflicting reports of what his 40 time really is. Fair or not as well, there is speculation he could've dropped much further than where we picked him. So there's a question of value.

Part of it is no matter how you feel about it, he was right in the middle of the scandal that cost Jim Tressel his job and missed large parts of his senior year. This makes him hard to evaluate because you're forced to really depend on what he did his junior season.
Repost for WHY people seem an edge for getting Posey where we did. Of course, its pretty much impossible to say if he would've lasted until our next pick at this point. I will say this, if he was THEIR guy without question, at least they went ahead with it.

At this point to me, its over, it doesn't matter. He's a Texan now and I'll be cheering for this guy to succeed.

I do have to weigh in on the Gerhart Vs Tate debate, as I called for Tate. I don't think Gerhart would have been as successful here as Tate. I just don't think he has the same explosion through the hole as Tate does. Prior to losing Hutch I think Minnesota had just as good a line as we do too.

I'd also point out this first year 3 lost fumbles on 81 carries his first year. Same knock some of us pointed out his tendency to fumble the ball. He did manage to secure the ball much better last year not fumbling once, but it's got to be in the back of your head.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #272
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I didn't love the pick when it was made because this was not one of the guys on my radar. I thought GP was over-reacting to it but I don't think I called him names about it. The more I've learned about this kid, his circumstances, his stats, his measurables, his abilities, the more I like him.

I've heard some people say that he's only got the talent to be -- at best -- a #2 receiver but I'm with SteelB in thinking he's more talented than that. And what I've seen of his video makes me think he's got the potential to have better hands than he displayed at the Senior Bowl. I think we might have hit a home run with this guy.

But we've got to see him in a Texans Uni running our system before we'll know for sure. What worries me most is that WRs generally take a few years to mature in the NFL. I'm afraid he won't have the instant impact we're all wanting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
The reason most of us figured Posey was off Texan board were character & off field issues. So Texans investigated character/background & came away satisfied with the person/player.

WR is tough to evaluate but Posey is superior to Randle or Sanu in his ability to separate in man coverage & create windows to target (combination of size/speed equal). I looked at all other available WR prospects with that pick & subject to clean character it's not out of question for Texan system & need, that Posey was BPA. So that is where they had him graded on their draft board.
The problem is perception is reality . The talk has been about Randle and Sanu for awhile now so folks presume they are the chosen ones . My view is there wasn't a sure fire stud WR in the draft . Blackmon isn't an elite prospect IMO and he is the best ? There were about 10 guys who were about the same so you try to project their talents to the next level .

To be continued it's lunch
Old 05-01-2012   #273
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, maybe people wouldn't "punish" you so bad if you'd stop pulling all these conspiracy theories out of your a$$.

Do you still think they "wanted Randle all along, but got cute and traded down, thinking they'd still get him in the third, and had to settle for Posey when Randle got taken"?????

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #274
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll post this in here as well, since it's relevant:

The Sideline View ‏ @SidelineFB Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Spoke w/ teams post-draft and found out Konz slipped due to heart issue, J. Brown for positive test and Rueben Randle due to laziness & knee
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #275
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: 3rd Round DeVier Posey WR Ohio State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'll post this in here as well, since it's relevant:

The Sideline View ‏ @SidelineFB Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Spoke w/ teams post-draft and found out Konz slipped due to heart issue, J. Brown for positive test and Rueben Randle due to laziness & knee
I believe it was Randle I heard that slept through several meetings.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #276
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #277
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I believe it was Randle I heard that slept through several meetings.
Yeah...that would drop him off my list...
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #278
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Nah, you were taking me to task but never got involved in the name-calling.

My over-reaction was due to trading down out of the 2nd round AND the things I read and saw a about Posey. It was a combination of things.
Old 05-01-2012   #279
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

My wife went to Ohio State, and she's an absolute OSU football fanatic, so I've seen pretty much every Ohio State game in the last 4 years and have even been to a few. I'm not a scout, or any kind of expert on how college talent translates to NFL, but I like Posey. When you have a Vince Young clone throwing the ball to you, and you still put up the kind of numbers he did, you have to be doing something right. The fact that he broke some retarded NCAA rule doesn't bother me at all, especially knowing more details about the circumstances now. Just my 2 cents.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #280
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

I'd also point out this first year 3 lost fumbles on 81 carries his first year. Same knock some of us pointed out his tendency to fumble the ball. He did manage to secure the ball much better last year not fumbling once, but it's got to be in the back of your head.
If you are talking about what was said in the mock forums on Gerhart - That was me who first made that point pre-draft and one of the many back & forth issues I had with Rmartin that draft season.

I could probably dig up the conversation if you like ....

Im happy with Foster , Tate and the trade back on that pick too .... forget what they got for trading back ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read