Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2012   #181
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd Round DeVier Posey WR Ohio State

Top of my head 3 games 2 TDs, certainly didn't get rusty with that time off.
Old 04-29-2012   #182
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 220696 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Top of my head 3 games 2 TDs, certainly didn't get rusty with that time off.
I think had he played his Sr year in its entirety he would have been the 3rd WR off the board behind Blackmon and Floyd.

Heard a podcast a while ago discussing Posey with a reporter who covers Ohio St. saying that the second suspension should have been overturned as his lawyer proved the violations to be false. The NCAA held firm on the suspension .... We as Texans fans should thank them.

I dont have a link to that podcast - think it was on CBSsports.com if someone wants to search for it.

As for the original suspension .... selling his own property?! .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #183
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.s...evier_pos.html

Here is info on 2nd 5 game suspension.
Old 04-29-2012   #184
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 220696 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.s...evier_pos.html

Here is info on 2nd 5 game suspension.
Good find.

A few quotes from the article -

Quote:
James said he provided documentation that Posey was properly paid for his time working for an OSU booster

Quote:
Bobby DiGeronimo, the owner of Independence Excavating and an OSU booster now disassociated by the school, said previously that Posey was paid properly. James said phone records and credit card records showed Posey worked as claimed. He also said the NCAA rule that players couldn't be paid more than $15 an hour did not account for the higher union wages that Posey had to be paid while working alongside union employees.

Quote:
"I could try this case 100 times and 100 times I'd win it," James said. "The NCAA just ignored [the documentation]."

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #185
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think had he played his Sr year in its entirety he would have been the 3rd WR off the board behind Blackmon and Floyd.

Heard a podcast a while ago discussing Posey with a reporter who covers Ohio St. saying that the second suspension should have been overturned as his lawyer proved the violations to be false. The NCAA held firm on the suspension .... We as Texans fans should thank them.

I dont have a link to that podcast - think it was on CBSsports.com if someone wants to search for it.

As for the original suspension .... selling his own property?! .....

When the Texans drafted JJ folks on this board had a hissy because they didn't take some guy from WSU who ran a good 40 . There was several other guys who I bet aren't in the league anymore that we were calling for . The Texans look for guys who are good route runners and not sprinters .

http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-combine-ratings/2012/

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #186
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
exactly as i said, a couple of good seasons and then he got distracted. do you justify reggie bush or the OSU players we didnt draft or others with similar black marks? if you fail to resist temptation (and as reported are at best a "4 letter word" to your peers) in school, and cant behave for 12 months to get 10+ million dollars simply by being drafted ... what does that say about his priorities? a diva has his interests ahead of his team's ... what were posey's stats as a senior? now tell me those numbers again while "i'd do it again" plays in the background.
So, because he sold his own merchandise and got a discount on tattoos, he is a trouble maker? What else horrible has he done that you know of? Was it working out and helping the team while he was on his suspension? Was it working out with Cris Carter? Was it giving the money to his mom? The guy put up pretty good numbers in a running offense. The games he played his senior year, he played well. I'm getting a Victor Cruz vibe from him in the Texans offense.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #187
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Those are his charges really

Come on now people, those are some of the most retarded charges i have ever heard of, and to think Ray Lewis was an accused murder at one time and some of you are sweating this crap ??? Get over it people you all act as if you have never done anything worse. I do worse things on a daily basis !!!!
Old 04-29-2012   #188
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Not that he's worth a sh!t, but Kiper on Posey:

He's not a great value at No. 68 overall, but I'm intrigued by the DeVier Posey pick. He had to sit out so many games last year I don't think scouts saw enough of him. He has really good hands, can create some matchup problems, and might be a little underrated in his ability to stretch the field.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #189
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
from everything i've read and heard, i worry that GP is correct in saying that he is a combination of walter and jacoby ... in the wrong way. jacoby's head in walter's body. we all want to say "andre will be able to ...", but we forget that our legend hasnt made a dent on jacoby or anyone else. jacoby is actually the most developed receiver we've ever drafted, think about that. andre's not going to create a receiver ... horse to water (or miniature pony to a trough).
Let's think about that.

Jacoby has not had any off-field incidents last year, not that I know of & that's the knucklehead stuff that Andre's influence is supposed to help.

He makes some interesting decisions when it comes to returning punts. But hopefully we've got someone who can actually get on the field & take that duty from him.

Jacoby isn't a #2 reciever, Andre did his best, but it just isn't meant to be. However, he is a better receiver, much better receiver than he was when he got here.

Posey has already garnered the reputation of a hardworker, a team player, & a family man. All that other stuff will work itself out.
Old 04-29-2012   #190
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully we can still trade jacoby and usher in this young group of wr's.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #191
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: 3rd Round DeVier Posey WR Ohio State

If people on here are still complaining about this pick because of the suspensions, well, we'll agree to disagree (with you being wrong).
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #192
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 323040 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

If this kid had played the whole season, his numbers project to 52 catches, 702 yards, and 8-9 TDs. That's in-line with his production in previous years. And that's on an offense that was DEAD LAST in the Big-10 in passing yardage. They ended up with only 1489 passing yards all season.

When I looked at the video, I thought he looked kinda slow until I realized that he was moving past the DBs. I think he's one of those guys with deceptive speed.

This pick isn't the normal Houston Texan 4-year starter, Big Conference Captain. But I think this guy could turn into a very good player for us.

And I don't care about those suspensions. I mean, really? Guys get suspensions for drug use and DUI and doing stupid stuff. This guy gets a suspension for selling stuff for more than it was worth and for getting paid a union wage to work. Really?

I think we got a steal. But with WRs, it's a tough call. WRs bust almost as much as NTs do.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #193
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
If people on here are still complaining about this pick because of the suspensions, well, we'll agree to disagree (with you being wrong).
I guess we've appeased the Coog , Aggie , and Buckhorn fans this year .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #194
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
from everything i've read and heard, i worry that GP is correct in saying that he is a combination of walter and jacoby ... in the wrong way. jacoby's head in walter's body. we all want to say "andre will be able to ...", but we forget that our legend hasnt made a dent on jacoby or anyone else. jacoby is actually the most developed receiver we've ever drafted, think about that. andre's not going to create a receiver ... horse to water (or miniature pony to a trough).

from what i see on the field, he's a 4.5-4.6 with no on field "running away" from average CB's, so this 4.37 is a bleacher stopwatch (obviously). this is consistent with the inconsistent reports. "high points the ball - fails to high point the ball" ... "zero burst - great burst" ... these things reek of propping a player up. i see his numbers speaking to who he is. a pretty good couple of years and then disappears when he gets distracted or changes his priorities ... i smell a mediocre diva.

i hope i'm wrong because he could transform our offense with his potential.

edit: not sober when writing this lol.
Finally. Someone who isn't going to rah-rah this pick "just because."

I have zero expectation of the guy. Until he's a weekly CONSISTENT part of the offense, to me he's a late round WR whom Smith gambled on about three rounds too early.

The rest of our draft was so solid, so reasonable in its nature (picks fitting instead of feeling forced) that I don't care that much about Posey. Does fine, then I'm wrong. Does poorly, then I'm right BUT we also got a 4th rounder out of the deal. That's my happy place.
Old 04-29-2012   #195
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

from what i see on the field, he's a 4.5-4.6 with no on field "running away" from average CB's, so this 4.37 is a bleacher stopwatch (obviously). this is consistent with the inconsistent reports. "high points the ball - fails to high point the ball" ... "zero burst - great burst" ... these things reek of propping a player up. i see his numbers speaking to who he is. a pretty good couple of years and then disappears when he gets distracted or changes his priorities ... i smell a mediocre diva.

i hope i'm wrong because he could transform our offense with his potential.

edit: not sober when writing this lol.
I'm curious how does still attending every practice when you know there is no chance of playing and at the same time finishing off your degree equate into having a "Jacoby" like head?

To me it shows character, committment to team and a desire to always be improving.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #196
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2935 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the typical 'he didn't go to us or anyone near us in any of the major mock drafts' disappointment. People need to get over it. Saying he's a combination of Jacoby and Walter without seeing him play a down for the Texans is just absurd. And don't get me started on 'third round value'. It's not like we whiffed on a top ten first round pick.

None of the guys people wanted instead are sure things either. If anything we got two guys (Posey and Crick) that probably would have gone much higher if it wasn't for bad senior seasons (one for a non-drug/violence related suspension and the other for injury). I think that's something to be excited about until on the field performance proves otherwise.
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #197
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Other than the first two-four receivers off the board, the rest were a crapshoot in their order.

None of the "talking heads" expected Posey to go this high, and I'd wager the majority of NFL teams had significant variability in his ranking as well.

After the "can't miss" guys, success and predictability begins to depend on some very specific player-team combinations.
Old 04-29-2012   #198
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If this kid had played the whole season, his numbers project to 52 catches, 702 yards, and 8-9 TDs. That's in-line with his production in previous years. And that's on an offense that was DEAD LAST in the Big-10 in passing yardage. They ended up with only 1489 passing yards all season.

When I looked at the video, I thought he looked kinda slow until I realized that he was moving past the DBs. I think he's one of those guys with deceptive speed.

This pick isn't the normal Houston Texan 4-year starter, Big Conference Captain. But I think this guy could turn into a very good player for us.

And I don't care about those suspensions. I mean, really? Guys get suspensions for drug use and DUI and doing stupid stuff. This guy gets a suspension for selling stuff for more than it was worth and for getting paid a union wage to work. Really?

I think we got a steal. But with WRs, it's a tough call. WRs bust almost as much as NTs do.
He has Victor Cruz written all over him.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #199
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Yeah its weird cause Quin, McCain, Nolan all suck and were high round whiffs.
1 good S, 1 decent backup S, a nickle CB.

I wouldn't say Rick has done a good job of picking CB's.

Afterall he did give us the most pro ready CB in the daft. (KJ's great)

Last edited by steelbtexan; 04-29-2012 at 02:44 PM.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #200
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I was reading some Browns forums, and several people were upset that the Browns traded back from 67 to 87 and picked up 120. The reason being that the Texans took Posey at 68. He's an Ohio guy, and people always like to get local players, but the big complaint was that he was seriously underrated due to the suspension. I'm hoping Kubiak is right about this kid, he may become our #2.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read