Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2012   #41
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft day 2. Who do you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by since02 View Post
Trade up, snag randle or fleener

This!!!
Old 04-27-2012   #42
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

I still say trade up to get Fleener. How difficult would it be for the opposing defense in a short yardage situation (or any for that matter) to account for AJ, OD, Fleener, Casey(FB) and Foster/Tate? How do you stack the box when you have 5 receivers on the field, two of which are TEs that can blow by a LB and get the S attention or stay in and block for the run. It’s just too big of a mismatch to ignore in size and speed…outrun the LBs, or runover the DBs.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #43
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
We desperately need an impact receiving threat.
It doesn't matter to me if it's at TE or at WR. We need a stud red zone target.

I like Fleener because he looks like a nightmare, mismatch-wise. A 6'-6" TE that runs 4.56-4.6...? Too big for most slot CBs to handle, too fast (not quick, fast) for most SS to stay with.

From everything I've read/heard, Stephen Hill is unpolished but has lots of upside (...wait, they said that about Jacoby didn't they?).
That said, Hill, Randle, Jeffrey, Quick... I don't really have a pref among those guys. Two of them would be nice. Or one of them plus Dwight Jones from N.C. State (T.J.'s school) as a Saturday pick would work for me too.

bottom line, I want someone that's a threat to score.

Man, imagine what Wade's D will do to folks when we can reliably get up on teams by double digits.
Their QBs will be like
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #44
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What would you be willing to give up to get Fleener? Right now we have 3 spots left in the top 100, and could stand to upgrade depth (and push for starting roles) at OL, WR/TE, DE, DT.

I have no problem with the idea of bringing Fleener in and having him as a mismatch at both WR and TE, it sounds like a great option, but it might severely limit our options at other positions.

I quite like the idea of getting one of these RT/RG prospects, who would again not necessarily have to start straight away, but would give us options and push our starters. From everything I've read we can get some nice receiving options in the 3rd.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #45
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

actually ive changed my mind. i want cordy glenn. big dude who can move and play either G or T. would restore our oline depth and start for either caldwell or butler/duane (butler can slide over to LT) if they get injured or arent playing as well as hoped (plus both contracts are nearly up too)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #46
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Because Fleener's not depth. He's an immediate starter.

Last season, we played 2, 3, and 4 TE sets probably more than any other team in the league. We started at least 5 games in a 2 TE set. But if you limit yourself to thinking "this guy is a TE", then you're missing the point.

Fleener, like Casey and OD, can line up in a variety of places. He can line up as a TE or he can split out and become a WR. He can probably fill an H-back position. He creates match-up problems that Kubiak can use in his formations.

He, effectively, becomes our WR2.

Last year, we had Dreessen in that role. He's gone. Right this second, we've got Garrett Graham taking Dreessen's spot but Garrett Graham hasn't stepped up so far and lived up to his "second coming of OD" billing.

With Fleener, we immediately upgrade Dreesen's position at least from an athletic standpoint. Fleener may well be a better TE option than OD even when OD is healthy.

BUT... I expect Fleener to go to the Colts at this point.
It's not maybe..but he will be. I love OD's all around game and his ability to find soft holes in the zones and great hands, but....Last year he outproduced both our TEs in TD production and matched ODs yards receiving even with all the weapons at Luck's disposal.

I think we'd have to trade up big time to land him though, IMO it's a perfect match for Indy to take him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
It doesn't matter to me if it's at TE or at WR. We need a stud red zone target.

I like Fleener because he looks like a nightmare, mismatch-wise. A 6'-6" TE that runs 4.56-4.6...? Too big for most slot CBs to handle, too fast (not quick, fast) for most SS to stay with.

From everything I've read/heard, Stephen Hill is unpolished but has lots of upside (...wait, they said that about Jacoby didn't they?).
That said, Hill, Randle, Jeffrey, Quick... I don't really have a pref among those guys. Two of them would be nice. Or one of them plus Dwight Jones from N.C. State (T.J.'s school) as a Saturday pick would work for me too.

bottom line, I want someone that's a threat to score.

Man, imagine what Wade's D will do to folks when we can reliably get up on teams by double digits.
Their QBs will be like
Bolded part is what I have emphasized day one for Fleener. He's going to create PHYSICAL mismatches in the NFL.

Would prefer Hill, great measureables, not afraid to block, and seems like a good kid.

I don't want any part of Quick in the second. Only in the third I would start to consider him. No more small school projects early.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #47
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Draft day 2. Who do you want?
Hopefully to be sober enough to post is what I want. But I'm not heading in that general direction at the time.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2012   #48
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Or one of them plus Dwight Jones from N.C. State (T.J.'s school) as a Saturday pick would work for me too.
Oh no you didn't.

Though I agree with the bulk of your post. Get one WR earlier and one later. Two receivers this draft would be nice. I happen to think Dwight Jones can be motivated by guys like AJ and Walter and Arian to perform better.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #49
Topher
Darth Tardis

Rep Power: 7226 Topher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respectedTopher is a quality contributor and well respected

Randle
Topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #50
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

It won't be Quick or Fleener.
Old 04-27-2012   #51
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans may end up trading up if the draft keeps going like this. Quick and Wolfe hurt going this early. Add Schwartz to that list.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #52
kingh99

Considering they took 5 defensive players last year in the first 4 rounds followed by (what we thought at the time was inconsequential) 5th rounder QB TJ Yate, OT Newton and then a sixth throw away defense pick of the Rice guy Cheta Oz something. And now they follow up with a Defense pick this year in the first round which made sense considering what they lost/traded. That's 6 players in the first four rounds on defense compared to 2 for the offense, a 5th and 6th rounder.

My guess is the offense owns the draft board the rest of the night and tomorrow. All offense henceforth.
Old 04-27-2012   #53
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

All the picks coming off the boards are what alot of us were projecting for the Texans. Stop the insanity!
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #54
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
we won't pick a wr till the early 3rd...book it.
Maybe even as late as the 4th round where they have two picks. Someone will fall ....

As for what I'd like to see today , Give me a guy who can swing between OG/T , one of the following - DE , CB , WR.

I dont see DT as a huge need with Cody and Mitchell who only play on running downs as they go to a four man front on passing downs.

Wouldnt mind a TE at some point .... Fleener in the second ? Hmmm , depends on what you have to give up to get him. Could he play the slot in the NFL ??? Can the Texans afford to go both TE and WR when they have other spots to fill ?

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #55
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122673 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

^^^^
This
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #56
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Way too many WRs gone in the 2nd round now. We need value for our pick. I don't expect us to draft a WR in the 2nd round, although I wanted one.
Old 04-27-2012   #57
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade!?
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #58
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Randle was there and the Texans trade out.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #59
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure about the trade down. I guess too many WRs were off the board in the 2nd.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #60
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

What the hell did they get in return?
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read