Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about our First rounder?
I like it 190 78.19%
I dislike it 9 3.70%
I don't have an opinion yet 44 18.11%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2012   #161
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - do you like the pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I called mercilus months ago even if wright was on the board. The gap from mercilus to the next best olb/pass rusher is bigger than the one to the wr. Wr and cb are the deepest in the draft this year. Mercilus is a guy who doesn't have to be schemed to get a sack. Of all the de's who will stand up,he's the most natural. This was a great pick. Not to mention,hill is a project big time. The advisory board gave him a 3rd rd grade. Just because he ran fast in a straight line doesn't mean gms vaulted him up. His short shuttle suggest he can come out a break and gain seperation.
Another inside tip from Pat Kirwin?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #162
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Why can't we see who voted what?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #163
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Why can't we see who voted what?
Poll creator gets to choose whether or not to make it public.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #164
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

How many times have the Texans selected a defensive player in round one? I'm recalling David Carr, Andre Johnson and Duane Brown on the offensive side. Did I miss anybody else? That one year they selected two defensive players in the first round (Jason Babin draft).

With all the first-round defensive picks we should have a 1985 Bears or 2000 Ravens defense (an all-time great and dominating unit). Statistically speaking, in 2011 it wasn't far off from being something really special. It's just sort of a "really Texans, really..." kind of pick to me. I'll see how it shakes out.

Whitney Mercilus isn't who I wanted but I will cheer him on.
Old 04-27-2012   #165
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

8 out of 11 i think
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #166
TheFosterTrain
Rookie

I like the pick, think we got good value at 26. I figured someone would reach to grab him earlier.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the way he plays, (or does it? Keep reading he has a nonstop motor) but his name alone makes me want his jersey.
TheFosterTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #167
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

(on what else he’d like to get in the draft to complement the offseason acquisitions and Mercilus) “Well, that remains to be seen. We had six defensive linemen last year, and we only have five on the team right now, so I mean a guy’s got a chance to play for us there and be in the rotation. That’s a factor, and inside backer. We lost one, but we replaced one. I think we’re pretty strong right now overall. I think our secondary is pretty strong, and our front seven looks good. I’m going to beg for another draft pick, so I’m not going to beg out of that. I think there’s some guys in the draft that we like, and we’ll just see where they are.” [url="http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Mercilus-and-Phillips-/cfc93317-17d9-452c-a97c-690d79b93b8a"]http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Mercilus-and-Phillips-/cfc93317-17d9-452c-a97c-690d79b93b8a[/U

Sounds like he wants someone to rotate with Antonio Smith and J.J. Watt...
DE/DT Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati

I've been saying for months that Phillips would end up making the first pick...

"I forgot to tell everybody when I signed my contract with Mr. (Bob) McNair, he said that we could get a first round pick on defense every year. That was part of it, too, so it didn’t surprise me."
Old 04-27-2012   #168
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
(on what else he’d like to get in the draft to complement the offseason acquisitions and Mercilus) “Well, that remains to be seen. We had six defensive linemen last year, and we only have five on the team right now, so I mean a guy’s got a chance to play for us there and be in the rotation. That’s a factor, and inside backer. We lost one, but we replaced one. I think we’re pretty strong right now overall. I think our secondary is pretty strong, and our front seven looks good. I’m going to beg for another draft pick, so I’m not going to beg out of that. I think there’s some guys in the draft that we like, and we’ll just see where they are.” [url="http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Mercilus-and-Phillips-/cfc93317-17d9-452c-a97c-690d79b93b8a"]http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Mercilus-and-Phillips-/cfc93317-17d9-452c-a97c-690d79b93b8a[/U

Sounds like he wants someone to rotate with Antonio Smith and J.J. Watt...
DE/DT Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati

I've been saying for months that Phillips would end up making the first pick...

"I forgot to tell everybody when I signed my contract with Mr. (Bob) McNair, he said that we could get a first round pick on defense every year. That was part of it, too, so it didn’t surprise me."
Jared Crick, Nebraska please.
Old 04-27-2012   #169
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Most interesting tidbit to come out of today is that Wade Phillips as part of his contract has had it gauranteed that the 1st pick will always be a defensive guy.

Old 04-27-2012   #170
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Ming the Merciless

Last edited by pec0sb0b; 04-28-2012 at 11:02 PM.
pec0sb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #171
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Nope, this staff for one reason or another is committed to JJ.
I wouldnt say that based off of this pick. OLB lacked depth behind Barwin & Reed. Much like DE behind Smith & Watt. Both positions need to be addressed.
This was simply the best player on the board - I figured he'd be long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
OK with the pick and want us to trade up and get Hill now.
No real need to trade up , still several comparable WR's on the board including Hill , Alshon Jeffery , Brian Quick , Mohamed Sanu , Nick Toon , Dwight Jones , Tommy Streeter , Marvin McNutt , Jeff Fuller , Greg Childs and Ryan Broyles.

I'd wager you could wait till the third or maybe even the fourth round and still get quality which allows the team to address OL and or DE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
We should have taken a T/G, but Mercilus is a beast. I'll take it.
Im sure they considered an OL .... but pass rushers are a premium position and at the end of the day , Mercilus was likely too good to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
9ners pass on Hill, very telling
I was thinking the same thing .... According to the NFL.com rankings , there are eight (8) WR's remaining on the board that grade out better than the (ers pick AJ Jenkins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Quote from Wade on Mercilus, via Nick Scurfield on Twitter:

Phillips on Mercilus: "They say 1-year wonder, but you wonder why they didn't play him the year before is what I wonder."
I said pretty much the same thing right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Would've liked Hill more.

Mercilus will be a great player though. He has the heart MW is missing.

Lets see a trade up for J.Martin/Hill.

It was a wild 1st rd.
Take a look at the list of WR's still on the board .... and the fact that the 9ers passed on Hill has to make you wonder. No need to trade up with the number of highly rated WR's still on the board.
None of them look to be as good as Blackmon or Floyd but there is value deep in the draft at the position.
The number of WR's remaining is good news for the Texans , they may be able to pick DE , OL and trade back into the 3rd to grab a WR they like .... which would fill just about all the holes created in the offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Most interesting tidbit to come out of today is that Wade Phillips as part of his contract has had it gauranteed that the 1st pick will always be a defensive guy.

That was a joke ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #172
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
At the COMBINE:

Guns?........What Guns?????
Might he get us to forget Mario sooner than later, especially with an extra 10-20 pounds?
That is O N E big mofo!
Old 04-27-2012   #173
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

That was a joke ....
REALLY!?!?!?!?

Old 04-27-2012   #174
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I called mercilus months ago even if wright was on the board. The gap from mercilus to the next best olb/pass rusher is bigger than the one to the wr. Wr and cb are the deepest in the draft this year. Mercilus is a guy who doesn't have to be schemed to get a sack. Of all the de's who will stand up,he's the most natural. This was a great pick. Not to mention,hill is a project big time. The advisory board gave him a 3rd rd grade. Just because he ran fast in a straight line doesn't mean gms vaulted him up. His short shuttle suggest he can come out a break and gain seperation.
I agree 100%! Mercilus is a great pick, our D will be down right scary, and we will have a top 3 pass rush this season. I was very concerned entering the season with Nading a Braman as our only back up OLBs. I like what Braman brings to the table but he very raw.

As for Hill, the Raiders are my other team and Hill reminds me of Darius Heyward Bey, fantastic athlete but raw as a WR. DHB is just now, several years later, becoming a pretty good WR. For those that think Hill would walk through the door and replace either KW or JJ, I think you're fooling yourself.

We should have no problem finding a solid WR and OL depth in the coming rds. Our draft is off to a great start.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #175
TheFosterTrain
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
We should have no problem finding a solid WR and OL depth in the coming rds. Our draft is off to a great start.
Agreed. WR is extremely deep in this draft. I admit, I was really high on Hill coming out of the combine (who wasn't?) but over time came to realize just how much depth this draft has at the WR position. The only two clear cut, top tier guys were Blackmon and Floyd, and we weren't getting either of those guys.

I'd still love to be able to get Hill, but realistically we'd have to trade up for him and I don't think that's worth it. Randle or Sanu if we're looking at a wideout in Rd. 2, if not, take Childs later in the draft. The only player I'd like to trade up for at this point is Martin.
Old 04-27-2012   #176
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

first round pick on a guy that noone ever saw play cause he played at IL, against sub par talent for one year.. We took a huge risk on yet another project player.

Would rather us seen go WR, then OG/OT before spending a first round on this guy.. For me I don't like it.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #177
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
first round pick on a guy that noone ever saw play cause he played at IL, against sub par talent for one year.. We took a huge risk on yet another project player.

Would rather us seen go WR, then OG/OT before spending a first round on this guy.. For me I don't like it.
Yeah, the big ten has no talent
Old 04-27-2012   #178
TheFosterTrain
Rookie

Quote:

He played in the Big Ten, same conference we got Watt from.
Old 04-27-2012   #179
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Couldn't disagree more. As others have mentioned he played in the big 10, that's a top conference.

As for project players, the WRs that would have been drafted at the end of rd 1 are projects. Hill may turn out to be a stud, but he could just as equally turn out to be another in a long line of guys that run really, really fast but can't make it the NFL as a WR.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #180
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82375 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFosterTrain View Post
He played in the Big Ten, same conference we got Watt from.
This is what I was thinking.

BTW, Silverhand I've watched many Ilini games and Mercilus was a great value pick. The guys a stud, who is only going to get better as he puts on more weight. He appears to be dedicated to his craft and is a hard worker. Kinda the anti MW/OkOye.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read