Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about our First rounder?
I like it 190 78.19%
I dislike it 9 3.70%
I don't have an opinion yet 44 18.11%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2012   #261
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
They just had Mercilus' college HC (Ron Zook) on 610 am...said Mercilus became their best DE the last half of the '10 season... 1-1/2 year wonder
Super, then he can come here and be a 10 year wonder.
Old 04-27-2012   #262
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Being a defense kinda guy, I dig this pick. I had my mind set on McClellen, but if Mercy's edge speed can translate it makes this D even nastier than before.

I was prayin we wouldn't pick a WR at 26 after Wright went off the board. It appears this draft is truly going to be BPA, which will be the 1st in franchise history.

Kudos, thus far
Old 04-27-2012   #263
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

TexansChick one-stop shopping for Mercilus info: http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/20...-and-now-what/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #264
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've watched several Illinois games when I scouted all the QBs and WRs (and a few guys that I was interested in at other positions).

I've come back and reviewed like mad 7 games so far since the pick was announced.

Mercilus is a scheme-versatile player; I've seen him play everything except at 0 and 1 tech.

At the end of the day, he's a playmaker.
Every game, he contributed in between 10 to 15 plays; whether its' a sack, a force fumble, a pass batted down, a tackle for loss on the RB, or shutting down his side, or taking on multi-blockers to spring another defender free.

Obviously, there were plays in which he was neutralized by the offensive player.

The key here is that he was hardly dominated at the POA.
For a guy that is only 260 lbs, that is really good.

He played in a rotation like any pro team play their guys so his production wasn't inflated as some guy who is forced to play almost every single snap due to lack of depth.

If we're talking about an 8-man rotation with each guy contributing at the same rate as Mercilus, that's a shutdown defense right there.

I fully endorse this pick with the usual warning about over-expectation.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #265
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a great pick! Fleener would have been my choice if Merciless would have been gone. I never expected him here at #26! However, I'm hoping they would try to move up to get him. I know the chances are slim, & they have other pressing needs, such as, WR & OL!
Old 04-27-2012   #266
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Big 10 did not have an impressive year, none of the teams below would be what I consider A+ competition at the college level last year.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #267
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Big 10 did not have an impressive year, none of the teams below would be what I consider A+ competition at the college level last year.
Pedigrees are just pedigrees. It's all gravy once you step into the man club.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2012   #268
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Pedigrees are just pedigrees. It's all gravy once you step into the man club.
May I remind you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amobi_Okoye

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #269
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
OSU and Wisconsin had good OLs though, homie.
Old 04-27-2012   #270
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
not to nit pick, but in a 3-4 you basically play three DT's. Last night Wade said he was still short one D lineman and that they are looking to address the position.
i accept your general pt but NT/DT and DE arent the same thing in a 3-4....and if cody or earl havent played any DE i take that to mean wade doesnt see them as such....

and the pt of having 6 d-linemen is you the texans will have 3 replacements if needed. so theres not much pt in having 3 NT/DT's and 3 DE's. all im saying is that, while some can play DE, alot more of those DT's left dont have the quickness to translate to 3-4 DE's
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #271
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #272
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange the Pats traded for the spot in front of us to select an ILB?

I don't think we were really looking at ILB's.
Old 04-27-2012   #273
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Mercilus press conference at 3:30 CDT can be seen here
Old 04-27-2012   #274
Allstar
Bona fide

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange the Pats traded for the spot in front of us to select an ILB?

Maybe they tried to trade with us and we didn't want to move?
Old 04-27-2012   #275
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They weren't that much better the year before (Watt)...

Dude was ballin' against linemen...i want to see him go against some TEs, TBs and FBs... See what he can bring against those guys...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #276
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

I think that's part of the Smokescreen. I think Smithiak tried to get people to think that they thought they needed an ILB to replace Demeco. And the Patriots bit.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #277
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

We saw what guys like JJ Watt and Brooks Reed can do. It's not all about sacks. The key word here to describe guys like Mercilus is "disruptive". He can be disruptive in other ways besides getting sacks. How many times did Watt bat down passes last season? He intercepted a freaking pass in a playoff game last year! We need more guys like that who can be a terror on the field in more ways than one.
Old 04-27-2012   #278
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Live press conference with Mercilus in a few minutes (3:30).... link
Old 04-27-2012   #279
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
We saw what guys like JJ Watt and Brooks Reed can do. It's not all about sacks. The key word here to describe guys like Mercilus is "disruptive". He can be disruptive in other ways besides getting sacks. How many times did Watt bat down passes last season? He intercepted a freaking pass in a playoff game last year! We need more guys like that who can be a terror on the field in more ways than one.
"... like a pack of wild dogs!"
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #280
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
"... like a pack of wild dogs!"
With Barwin, Reed, and now Mercilus we have a 3 headed hound aka Cerberus! Unleash the Cerberus!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read