Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

How do you feel about our First rounder?

• I like it

Votes: 190 78.2%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • I don't have an opinion yet

Votes: 44 18.1%

• Total voters

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
i think its a good pick, he is very quick and powerful. We lost Mario and i see a lot of the same physical features in this young man, so i am please overall.

Was wanting a WR until Wright went off the board. i guess J.J it is :kubepalm:

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
One of the most intriguing players I watched on tape was DE Whitney Mercilus. He rarely aligned wide in Illinois’ defense, which significantly limited his pass rush space and minimized his initial burst off the ball and his overall athleticism. The Titans need to rush the quarterback better (only 28 sacks in 2011), and they will select Mercilus and line him up wide to maximize his pass rush ability. At this point, Mercilus is a little bit of a straight line rusher with a limited repertoire but there’s no question he has burst and closing speed.

Cosell had him at 20th overall, Shonka had him at 19.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/whitney-mercilus?id=2533049

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
not thrilled with the pick, thought he'd be gone by the time we picked...but i knew we'd probably go olb....

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
This article says he had a high motor all year long. Sounds like Wade's type of player. He's also missing part of a finger.

http://www.herald-review.com/sports/illini/scouts-high-on-illini-s-mercilus/article_56095c5c-8e94-11e1-b423-0019bb2963f4.html

When he lost the tip of his left index finger during a freak weight lifting accident one year ago, Whitney Mercilus wondered how the missing digit might affect his chance to become an NFL draft pick.

Could he still rush the passer? Could he still wrap up with tackles?

Would teams back off due to the injury?

The weightlifting nightmare, which occurred last April while Mercilus was spotting for a teammate who lost control of a bar holding 405 pounds, pulverized the end of Mercilus’ finger.

But after the initial shock wore off, Mercilus was soon back out doing drills, determined to have a big junior year.

“The work he poured into getting ready for the (2011) season was unbelievable,” former Illini head coach Ron Zook said.

And the payoff was prompt. Almost immediately, Mercilus emerged as a non-stop pass rushing force. By the time the 2011 season was over, Mercilus had recorded 16 sacks, forced nine fumbles and emerged as the best story on an Illini team that played so poorly in the second half of the season it cost Zook his job.

As one NFL scout said in praise of Mercilus’ work ethic, “His motor ran on red all season long.”

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Was hoping for Fleener or Hill.

Disappointed really. He's not likely going to be an every down player.

He can still be an impact player in rotation at OLB at least.

le14

Noob
Like it.

Hill was highly unproven, I didn't want to touch Fleener. I had us taking Hill on potential, but WR are a crapshoot when it comes to the first round picks

Texans - Winning with that D and Giants blueprint.

the possibilities with that defense and the likes of Luck, Locker, Gabbert along with spotty OL play.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Whitney Mercilus Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
Raw speed to turn the edge
Agility to sink his hips/shoulder
Strength
Repertoire of moves
Active hands
Has the strength to anchor and hold his ground vs. the run
Always looking to force fumbles
Quick get off
Shedding blocks when pass rushing
Ability to bull rush heavy tackles and guards
Extremely athletic

Weaknesses:
One-year wonder
Lacks complete body of work in college
Quality of tackles he faced

Summary: Whitney Mercilus was the most productive pass-rusher in college football in 2011. He led the nation in sacks (16) and forced fumbles (9). It was a record-setting season as Mercilus topped Simeon Rice's school record for sacks in a year. Like Rice, Mercilus is a fabulous athlete. He has a special combination of size, speed and strength to go along with excellent technique. Mercilus also recorded 57 tackles and 22.5 tackles for a loss.

Entering the NFL, Mercilus is an advanced pass-rusher. He got the better of the best tackles he faced this season. Against Ohio State's Mike Adams, Mercilus recorded 1.5 sacks with a forced fumble. The Wisconsin Badgers' powerful offensive line couldn't contain Mercilus. He bull rushed through massive right tackle Josh Oglesby to get a sack-fumble on Russell Wilson. Mercilus also knocked out left tackle Ricky Wagner for part of the game.

Mercilus has a very impressive repertoire of pass rushing moves. He attacks with speed around the edge. As a counter to the speed, he has the strength to execute rip moves and shed offensive linemen. Mercilus has the raw power to get under offensive linemen's pads and bull rush into the pocket. That catches linemen by surprise as they are so cognizant of being ready for his speed rush. Beyond his great physical skill set, Mercilus is an advanced pass-rusher technically.

Mercilus holds up well in run defense. Linemen don't push him around, as he is strong at the point of attack. He also will burst into the backfield to disrupt running plays.

The big question regarding Mercilus is why didn't break into the lineup sooner and why didn't he produce more earlier. In 2009 and 2010, Mercilus combined to record 24 tackles with two sacks and 6.5 tackles for a loss.

Player Comparison: Jason Pierre-Paul. There are a lot of similarities between Mercilus and JPP. Both are fantastic athletes who come to the NFL with a special combination of speed and strength. They also were one-year wonders at the college level. Mercilus had more production than JPP in their final college season, and the latter has turned into one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL.
link

G27RR

WATTch Out!
Little surprised since Martin and Glenn were still on the board at OT/G. Not unhappy about it, but would have preferred someone who had more than one year of production. He does project out well. Keeps our D looking solid.

Hopefully we find a way to get a good WR in the 2nd-3rd.

TexCanada

All Pro
Great value, great pick! Sacking the QB wins super bowls. This was a huge need for us and I'm thrilled with the pick. There are plenty of WRs available in round 2 and 3.

We just got better.

ckhouston

Veteran
Excellent pick ... he was BPA. Anyone wanting Fleener thank God you arent drafting for us. Only reach I would have been happy with would have been Harrison Smith because I think he is the next John Lynch, but the fact "NO MERCY" was still there rocks. We are going to have a dominant pash rush and will be able to keep our guys fresh because of depth.

LikeMike

Veteran
Should be able to play OLB as well as some DE for us. High Motor Guy with lots of fumbles and led the nation in sacks. I call that a really good pick.

Oh and if there is anything the Giants proved: you can never have enough Pass rushers...

Now the next two picks should be Offense...

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Don't know anything about him...but I really wanted a WR.
He was my # olb/pass rusher. He's natural in space,has explosion too. The gap from mercilus to the next pass rusher is a lot greater than the next wr. This draft is deep at wr in the 2nd and 3rd. Hill is really a developmental guy.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Was hoping for Fleener or Hill.

Disappointed really. He's not likely going to be an every down player.

He can still be an impact player in rotation at OLB at least.
He'll probably start ahead of Tarzan and rotate in and out. He will play plenty. Personally, I think this is another Wade/Smithiak homerun.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
From Walter Football:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012OLB3-4.php

Whitney Mercilus*, DE/OLB, Illinois
Height: 6-4. Weight: 261.
40 Time: 4.63. 10-Yd Split: 1.56.
Bench: 27.
Vertical: 32. Broad: 9-10.
Arm: 33 7/8.
Projected Round (2012): 1.
4/25/12: Many teams have shown interest in Mercilus and his stock has had a quiet rise. He stands a good shot of cracking the top 20. Mercilus featured his special speed and athletic ability at the Combine. He ran well, moved extremely well laterally in the field drills and had quality strength. Mercilus showed 3-4 teams that he can operate as an outside linebacker. Reports were that Mercilus performed well at his pro day. Between the Combine and his pro day, he has cemented his status as a first-round pick.

A typical game from Mercilus in 2011 featured a sack and a forced fumble. He led the nation in sacks and forced fumbles last year. The junior totaled 57 tackles with 22.5 tackles for a loss, 16 sacks and nine forced fumbles.

Mercilus showed no mercy this season to offensive tackles and quarterbacks. All year long, he beat tackles with a combination of speed, strength and athleticism. Against Ohio State's Mike Adams, one of the best offensive tackles Mercilus played this year, he beat Adams for 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble. Mercilus was tough on Wisconsin and its powerful offensive line with a sack-fumble on a bull rush through massive right tackle Josh Oglesby. Routinely, Mercilus plays with ideal pad level and body lean.

The early entry prospect is extremely fast and gets upfield in a hurry. His speed puts offensive tackles on their heels, and he has the athleticism to drop his hips and shoulder to turn towards the quarterback. Mercilus' strength can take linemen by surprise, and he has a powerful bull rush. In run defense, Mercilus anchors and holds his ground well. He needs to work on shedding blocks in order to be able to make more tackles in the ground game.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
Little surprised since Martin and Glenn were still on the board at OT/G. Not unhappy about it, but would have preferred someone who had more than one year of production. He does project out well. Keeps our D looking solid.

Hopefully we find a way to get a good WR in the 2nd-3rd.
I thought it would be Glenn. I'm ok with the pick. Let's try to trade up early in the second to ensure we get a wr or ot assuming good ones are available. Let's dig up James Allen aka merciless the rapper to do Whitney's theme song.

Fili

Rookie
I remember I felt like this when we picked JJ Watt and found out he was a white DE. I thought he would suck but apparently not. Whitney. Would you please play offense for us?

ckhouston

Veteran
Everyone wanting to trade up for a WR when the only two top WR in the draft are already gone .... two things ... first, we are a running team ... second, as Ditka says "Stop It!".

Texan4Ever

All Pro
Meh, would've preferred Nick Perry. I'm afraid he may become the next Robert Ayers (one year wonder who converts to OLB in a 3-4).

Rey

Not gonna lie, I do not like the pick at all. He looks very average to me on film.

I hope like hell he proves me wrong, but I'm not excited...

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think in college he was placed to get QB sacks and Phillips will do same with him. My eval will depend on rest of the draft. If we don't score big with WR somewhere in draft, JJ better step up a bunch or I will be calling for Kubiak head.His loyalty better result in productivity NOW.

If players like DeCastro fall, maybe we can get a great pick in second. I want to have a very good feeling after Saturday's picks.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
See what I'm saying (in another thread).... No offense to GB (he's an old school poster..... been around a long time) but we'll have 17 more threads about the same thing...

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
McClain_on_NFL If Mercilus develops way Smith, Kubiak and Phillips think he will, they'll have him and Cushing rushing behind Barwin, Reed, Watt and Smith. 4 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

AWWWWWW YEAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Not gonna lie, I do not like the pick at all. He looks very average to me on film.

I hope like hell he proves me wrong, but I'm not excited...
Didn't realize you had access to film. He has the work ethic to prove you wrong as an effort guy and serious football skill guy. That's how I feel about him anyway. He was best guy on the board

Rey

Didn't realize you had access to film. He has the work ethic to prove you wrong as an effort guy and serious football skill guy. That's how I feel about him anyway. He was best guy on the board
All you have to do is go to youtube and they have entire games on there. Cut up nice and neatly to only the snaps he played. Plus I've seen him play games and watched them back. Are you really unaware of how to watch guys on film?

Anyways, I hope he does prove me wrong because I don't like the pick.