Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2014   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did you actually expect anything else?

Did you actually expect anything other than a very bad football team?

What were your true expectations going into this season? That's "expectations", not blind wishful thinking, based upon nothing but a hope and a prayer. (So EllisUnit, you need not apply )

I'll start it off. I never had any. Coming off a 2-14 season, new coaches, with a new system, to go with no quarterback, and no offensive line. Last night was no surprise to me at all. Do I 'expect' some kind of miraculous turnaround by the 3rd preseason game? Uh no. Why should I?

So kick back and relax. Things are about to get a whole lot worse.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #2
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did you actually expect anything else?

On the bright side I should have plenty of room to stretch out in my seats at NRG this season.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #3
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

What were your true expectations going into this season? That's "expectations", not blind wishful thinking, based upon nothing but a hope and a prayer. (So EllisUnit, you need not apply )

I'll start it off. I never had any. Coming off a 2-14 season, new coaches, with a new system, to go with no quarterback, and no offensive line. Last night was no surprise to me at all. Do I 'expect' some kind of miraculous turnaround by the 3rd preseason game? Uh no. Why should I?

I think you are correct. Apparently, we were exactly what our record said we were last year. I se a number one overall pick again in the next draft.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #4
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I think everyone knows my position and they really don't want me to repeat all the reasons why.
Old 08-10-2014   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
I think you are correct. Apparently, we were exactly what our record said we were last year. I se a number one overall pick again in the next draft.
I don't think we are that bad, except for perhaps at the QB or DB positions. The rest of the team is good enough to keep us from that number 1 pick next year though. The front end of the defense is going to be tough our offense looks pretty anemic except for the running game. I still suspect, with a weak schedule, we can approach 8-8 this year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #6
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I feel honored to be mentioned in your thread Marcus . But we were 2-14 last season and were only 2 losses away from the worst season you can possibly have. The odds of us winning less than 2 games this season are slim.

Take last night for what it was, a Pre season game that included no AJ, Foster, Cushing or JoJo.

There is no trophy for an undefeated pre season, this is all about preperation for the upcoming season and honestly i think the best thing that could of happened was us getting our asses kicked last night.
Old 08-10-2014   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they can get better once they get the schemes on offense and defense down . I think when Cushing , Brooks , AJ , Arian , Nix , JJo , and whoever else comes back , they're going to get better . Having said all that , running laps ain't working and we'll see how fast BOB adapts . Can the honeymoon really be over after the 2nd preseason game ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2014   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

To answer the thread title.. Yes. I expected a lot of different things. One of those things wasn't regression which is what we showed last night. We might luck our way into a better record this season, but don't kid yourself.. last year's team (despite being 2-14.. and as weird as it sounds) was light years' ahead of this current squad.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
To answer the thread title.. Yes. I expected a lot of different things. One of those things wasn't regression which is what we showed last night. We might luck our way into a better record this season, but don't kid yourself.. last year's team (despite being 2-14.. and as weird as it sounds) was light years' ahead of this current squad.
It's a rebuild year. Despite what we're being fed, it's a rebuild year. So it shouldn't surprise anyone that, out of the starting gate, we are actually a worse team than last year's. It's just some of us are probably expecting a more rapid result than we're getting. I still say it's to early to tell.

Old 08-10-2014   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
It's a rebuild year. Despite what we're being fed, it's a rebuild year. So it shouldn't surprise anyone that, out of the starting gate, we are actually a worse team than last year's. It's just some of us are probably expecting a more rapid result than we're getting. I still say it's to early to tell.
It looked like the Astros after they let everyone go .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
It looked like the Astros after they let everyone go .
Yeah, there is no mistaking the fact that the Texans looked like a pile of dog sh!t. The only thing we can do now is wait and see how long it takes the smell to leave. If healthy, we have some formidable players on this team that can make a serious impact.

Old 08-10-2014   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not saying it's a big-time consolation or anything like that, but most of last years games we lost (and we lost most of the games we played), we were competitive. That team last night was no way competitive. So if we are worse than last year, maybe much worse, why ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #13
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was hoping for better, but saw about what I expected given where we left off at the end of last season. Going to be a long year.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #14
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yup! Stunk up the place! Awful starting QB & back ups! Poor OL & Secondary play. Just AWFUL!!!! Bright spots, Clowney N Blue! Hopefully they can bounce back some how, or this will be a long season, again!
Old 08-10-2014   #15
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
It being a rebuild year has little to do with expectations. The expectations were already low.. however. We we're beat down 32-0 in a game where the score didn't even begin to reflect the actual beat down that occurred on the field. Even during the expansion/David Carr years we didn't see what we witnessed last night.

At your age how many of those years can you afford? You should be mad as hell and not willing to take it anymore.

What we're feeling now is last year's draft debacle.. which was a complete waste. This team has zero depth and a lot of holes. Why is Rick Smith still here?
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #16
ung14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ung14 is a quality contributor and well respectedung14 is a quality contributor and well respectedung14 is a quality contributor and well respectedung14 is a quality contributor and well respectedung14 is a quality contributor and well respectedung14 is a quality contributor and well respectedung14 is a quality contributor and well respectedung14 is a quality contributor and well respectedung14 is a quality contributor and well respectedung14 is a quality contributor and well respectedung14 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was expecting more. A lot more. But between the injuries/missing players and scaled down offense maybe we shouldn't overreact just yet.
ung14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #17
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ung14 View Post
I was expecting more. A lot more. But between the injuries/missing players and scaled down offense maybe we shouldn't overreact just yet.
Nice logical first post !
Old 08-10-2014   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
At your age how many of those years can you afford? You should be mad as hell and not willing to take it anymore.

What we're feeling now is last year's draft debacle.. which was a complete waste. This team has zero depth and a lot of holes. Why is Rick Smith still here?
I'm not mad, considering the situation. Also, after all my years of being an Oiler fan, another scar on my fanhood won't make a difference.

As to why Rick Smith is still here, obviously we don't have a first class organization from top to bottom. The Texans have yet to prove they are better than the Oilers in that regard, but at least the Texans ownership is more likeable.

Old 08-10-2014   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it was pretty clear who was the 2-14 team and who was the 10-6 team (10-6 in a tough as hell division no less).

I expected Fitzpatrick to be maybe a little less "WTF?". That expectation was based mostly on a lack of time spent studying what he actually does on a play-to-play basis. You can dig around in Google and find plenty of highlights but it's really not the same as watching a guy for a few drives. I never paid much attention to him prior to the Texans signing him and so I expected more out of Fitz (based on little I admit). I thought surely if he was holding Keenum off he must at least be better than what we saw last night. Over the past few weeks we've heard the coaches talk about this guy or that guy having a really good day or making a lot of progress. Lots of tweets from training camp to get excited about. This puts all those comments into perspective for me.
Old 08-10-2014   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

my expectations were pretty low for our first game, but i certainly didn't expect complete ineptitude.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read