Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-26-2012   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 55166 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Maybe last years draft wasn't all Phillips.

LINK
Just some food for thought here.
Quote:
4. Houston Texans (2009)

Starters Found: Brian Cushing (LB), Connor Barwin (LB) and Glover Quin (S)

Contributions From: Antoine Caldwell (G), James Casey (TE), Brice McCain (CB) and Troy Nolan (S)

Best Pick: Brian Cushing

Summary: Just the three starters, but given the way the Texans change things up on offense and how often they’re in their dime defense, they’ve managed to turn essentially everyone of their picks (bar Anthony Hill) into a significant contributor. That’s a huge achievement that no other team has got close to in recent years. Cushing is the star and Barwin proved extremely productive in his third year, but spare some time to applaud the picks of Caldwell (played well enough in 1,145 snaps that the Texans could allow Mike Brisiel to walk), McCain (excelled in the slot), and Casey (a dynamic, versatile playmaker). These guys all contributed to the Texans’ success.
Old 04-26-2012   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Maybe last years draft wasn't all Phillips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
LINK
Not sure what this has to do with last year. It's documented that Phillips gave Smith a list of players he wanted. And Smith drafted 5 of them.

Credit Smith for actually drafting the players. He did move up to take Harris. But it was Phillips' list he was drafting from.
Old 04-26-2012   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Last years draft was 2011 not 2009.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't be starting a thread that hints at Rick Smith being good in the war room ... not here ..... TT won't have any part of that.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #5
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Not sure what this has to do with last year. It's documented that Phillips gave Smith a list of players he wanted. And Smith drafted 5 of them.

Credit Smith for actually drafting the players. He did move up to take Harris. But it was Phillips' list he was drafting from.
Not that I don't believe you, but where is the documented evidence of this? Just curious because things tend to become fact around here after enough people say it...

I agree with the OP. The FO has gotten better at drafting, before Phillips came in and the trend has continued after he came in.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #6
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I getcha DB, making the point that it isn't the first time we've drafted well on D.

2009 has turned out to be a good draft, especially when you consider that some people see it as the worst overall draft class of all time (not the Texans' draft class, the draft class as a whole).

Wade definitely made a big contribution last year, but you can't discount that the bulk of the work was done by the scouting team etc with Wade likely picking based on information provided to him.

I also don't know why people are lauding last years draft as some kind of 2006 repeat right now, only 3 of them made any real contribution so far, with potential for more going forward, but we just don't know yet.

You simply have to wait 3 years before beginning to grade a draft, rewind 12 months and I'll give you the general consensus on the 2009 draft -

Cushing - PED pumping rookie season, garbage once he came off the juice
Connor Barwin - reasonable contribution in rookie season, injured sophomore, undecided but with potential
Glover Quin - Poor CB who held the team back
Caldwell - Decent starter about to be beaten out in camp by Briesel
Casey - Can't get ahead of Dreessen on the depth chart, low contribution
McCain - held us back in the worst secondary in football
Troy Nolan - people actually probably rated him higher 12 months ago than they do now.

And yet people already want to grade last years draft as some kind of epic win, I'm quietly confident, but lets wait and see eh?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #7
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LINK
Year and title are off but damn good draft nonetheless. Let's go Texans!!! Man I'm pumped.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2012   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Not that I don't believe you, but where is the documented evidence of this? Just curious because things tend to become fact around here after enough people say it...

I agree with the OP. The FO has gotten better at drafting, before Phillips came in and the trend has continued after he came in.
That's very well may be true. Smith all but admitted in his PC and on the 610 interview that he was basically learning on the job. Especially working with other teams.

Quote:
(on why he has made more draft-day trade deals in recent years) “I think certainly the experience helps. I’m much more familiar, obviously, with the process of making draft day trades. There is a lot of excitement about trading, maybe that has a little bit to do with it. I would probably lean more to just the coincidence and the way that the particular draft have set themselves up. We have certainly opened and always been open to moving up and back, and that’s one of the things we’re doing now. Then the last few days prior to the draft is what you do. You spend time trying to get a feel for what’s happening around you; talking to the various GMs around the league and talking about their openness to moving and making sure that we have a good feel for who’s open to moving and making sure that when those opportunities might present themselves and being prepared about what it might take to get the deals done.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...4-638dc7b01b9d
Old 04-26-2012   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
That's very well may be true. Smith all but admitted in his PC and on the 610 interview that he was basically learning on the job. Especially working with other teams.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...4-638dc7b01b9d
Correct me if I'm wrong here but are you implying you would rather have a GM who never learns anything about his job?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #10
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

2009 Draft has turned into a great draft class!
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here but are you implying you would rather have a GM who never learns anything about his job?
No, I'm not. I'm saying he didn't really know how to run a draft when he got here. On the job training, more or less. Similar to that of our owner, who also admitted he was learning as he went
Old 04-26-2012   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I getcha DB, making the point that it isn't the first time we've drafted well on D.

2009 has turned out to be a good draft, especially when you consider that some people see it as the worst overall draft class of all time (not the Texans' draft class, the draft class as a whole).

Wade definitely made a big contribution last year, but you can't discount that the bulk of the work was done by the scouting team etc with Wade likely picking based on information provided to him.

I also don't know why people are lauding last years draft as some kind of 2006 repeat right now, only 3 of them made any real contribution so far, with potential for more going forward, but we just don't know yet.

You simply have to wait 3 years before beginning to grade a draft, rewind 12 months and I'll give you the general consensus on the 2009 draft -

Cushing - PED pumping rookie season, garbage once he came off the juice
Connor Barwin - reasonable contribution in rookie season, injured sophomore, undecided but with potential
Glover Quin - Poor CB who held the team back
Caldwell - Decent starter about to be beaten out in camp by Briesel
Casey - Can't get ahead of Dreessen on the depth chart, low contribution
McCain - held us back in the worst secondary in football
Troy Nolan - people actually probably rated him higher 12 months ago than they do now.

And yet people already want to grade last years draft as some kind of epic win, I'm quietly confident, but lets wait and see eh?
Well, if Cushing played like garbage last year, I certainly hope he continues to play like garbage. I mean WTF?

Edit: Oh that's right - rewind the last 12 months, doh!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its everybody. Wade didn't lock Kubiak and Smith in a closet till the draft was over. The Texans are very much into having multiple coaches from both sides of the ball scout players. Wade had more of a plan of attack, and led the players infinitly better than Bush, but he is not 100% responsible for that draft. Thats not the first good draft we have had. Had a few prior to him arriving.
Old 04-26-2012   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what I was saying after last year's draft.

Smith is pretty good at working the draft.

I think a big part of Smith's "problem" in drafts was the coaches he was working with. I think Smith is the kind of GM who sits down with the coordinators and the positional coaches, presents them with lists of guys and what the scouts think, and then creates his board off of what the coaches tell him they want.

I think he got some great feedback from Phillips and the new defensive staff and I think that resulted in a great draft. In previous years, I think he'd gotten some crappy suggestions (especially wrt defensive backs) and that led to him drafting some guys he maybe shouldn't have drafted.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Last years draft was 2011 not 2009.
Yeah, see... his point was that 2011 was a great draft. But 2009 was a great draft too and it was before Phillips. So maybe Phillips isn't the only reason we had a good draft in 2011.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed. Bush didn't know his elbow from his *******.
Old 04-26-2012   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I think a big part of Smith's "problem" in drafts was the coaches he was working with. I think Smith is the kind of GM who sits down with the coordinators and the positional coaches, presents them with lists of guys and what the scouts think, and then creates his board off of what the coaches tell him they want.

I think he got some great feedback from Phillips and the new defensive staff and I think that resulted in a great draft. In previous years, I think he'd gotten some crappy suggestions (especially wrt defensive backs) and that led to him drafting some guys he maybe shouldn't have drafted.
I agree.

I also think that he will continue to get better the longer he does it. I think he has learned from things he's done in the past and I think this will be a good draft this year because of it.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

You would think Rick may watch a little film so that he could be educated on those lists. He** he might even compile a list of his own? (Doubtful)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #19
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
You would think Rick may watch a little film so that he could be educated on those lists. He** he might even compile a list of his own? (Doubtful)
This post is all kinds of fail.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Since you've got the finger very close to the pulse of the Texans FO office, what are Rick Smith's preparations exactly?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read