Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2012   #1
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The next Arian Foster (kinda, sorta)???

One of my personal claims to fame on here is being THE FIRST guy to say that the Texans had possibly gotten a gem of a steal by signing Arian Foster. Here were my exact words:

(June 11, 2009)
If Foster can return to the back he was during his Junior season, then the Texans definitely have steal. He's tough and shifty and runs with great power when he's at his best. He really struggled last year, but I think it had more to do with the entire team being subpar. I thought he would enter the draft after his Jr. year, because he had the possibility of being a late 1st-rounder. He was that good. If he's back at 100%, the Texans have themselves an impressive player and a solid backfield for years to come.

No need for applause. I've been myself self-high fives for being right about this one! On the eve of the draft, it's time for me to role out the next possible steal of the draft that could become the next Arian Foster type of NFL player. And just like Arian, I hope it's in a Texans jersey.

The player that I speak of is GREG CHILDS, WR, ARKANSAS. This guy was a manchild at Arkansas his junior season...before he hurt his knee. He wasn't 100% last season and his production suffered, though he toughed it out and played through it. Sound familiar? The guy is big, strong, and fast. He has sure hands and BIG play ability. He has been coached up and is very pro ready. I would love for him to be there early in the 4th when the Texans pick. Mark it down, he's going to be a beast in the NFL! And hey, if I'm wrong, 1 out of 2 ain't bad!
Old 04-25-2012   #2
kingh99

Default Re: The next Arian Foster (kinda, sorta)???

Good call. Very good call. I might have one on par with this, as hard it would seem to match. I told the people with me at an Astros game in 2003 they didn't need Wagner or Dotel. They had their closer in middle reliever Brad Lidge. The guy had a throwing motion that came all from his shoulder and back and seemed like he created a huge amount of body torque making the slider unhittable. I was involved in Little League at the time and learning pitching mechanics with my kids who both pitched. I saw that guy up close declared he was going to be a bad man down the line and so it was. Brad Lidge turned out to be a dominant closer, so dominant he is the all time leader in strike outs per nine innings among pitchers with at least 200 appearances. All time. I'd say both Mr. Lidge and Mr. Foster came out of nowhere to become superstars in their sport.

edit: Superstars may be a tad strong. Dominant is a better description. In addition to being dominant, Lidge is a world series champion with the Phillies after helping the Astros come very close.
Old 04-25-2012   #3
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Childs Please!!! Sorry I had to do it. I used to love hearing that on SportsCenter. And I agree you may have something here with him. If he can fully bounce back from that injury then I think he can be a really good player in the league.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good hearing from you, but in the mock draft forums people have been all over Childs for the reasons that you site.
Old 04-25-2012   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
I'd say both Mr. Lidge and Mr. Foster came out of nowhere to become superstars in their sport.
Brad Lidge was a 1st round draft choice of the Astros in 1998. Not exactly nowhere.

I think Childs is a good analogy to Foster. Another is Oklahoma's Ryan Broyles. Broyles was in the midst of a phenomenal year before going down with an ACL injury against A&M. Kendall Wright gets a lot of love on the internet draft boards. Broyles was every bit as good before the injury. A slot receiver as well as a top notch punt returner. If you're talking value, I would much rather take a chance on Broyles with a late 4th round pick than take Wright in the 1st.
Old 04-25-2012   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
One of my personal claims to fame on here is being THE FIRST guy to say that the Texans had possibly gotten a gem of a steal by signing Arian Foster. Here were my exact words:

(June 11, 2009)
If Foster can return to the back he was during his Junior season, then the Texans definitely have steal. He's tough and shifty and runs with great power when he's at his best. He really struggled last year, but I think it had more to do with the entire team being subpar. I thought he would enter the draft after his Jr. year, because he had the possibility of being a late 1st-rounder. He was that good. If he's back at 100%, the Texans have themselves an impressive player and a solid backfield for years to come.

No need for applause. I've been myself self-high fives for being right about this one! On the eve of the draft, it's time for me to role out the next possible steal of the draft that could become the next Arian Foster type of NFL player. And just like Arian, I hope it's in a Texans jersey.
Not so fast, my friend!

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=arian+foster
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Brad Lidge was a 1st round draft choice of the Astros in 1998. Not exactly nowhere.

I think Childs is a good analogy to Foster. Another is Oklahoma's Ryan Broyles. Broyles was in the midst of a phenomenal year before going down with an ACL injury against A&M. Kendall Wright gets a lot of love on the internet draft boards. Broyles was every bit as good before the injury. A slot receiver as well as a top notch punt returner. If you're talking value, I would much rather take a chance on Broyles with a late 4th round pick than take Wright in the 1st.
Broyles is a name nobody talks about, but as you said: He IS very good.

He makes catches most WRs don't. Velcro hands.
Old 04-25-2012   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

(June 11, 2009)

The player that I speak of is GREG CHILDS, WR, ARKANSAS. This guy was a manchild at Arkansas his junior season...before he hurt his knee. He wasn't 100% last season and his production suffered, though he toughed it out and played through it. Sound familiar? The guy is big, strong, and fast. He has sure hands and BIG play ability. He has been coached up and is very pro ready. I would love for him to be there early in the 4th when the Texans pick. Mark it down, he's going to be a beast in the NFL! And hey, if I'm wrong, 1 out of 2 ain't bad!
I remember reading your post at that time. You were the voice calling out into the wilderness when nobody else really knew much about Foster other than he had a bad pro day and was considered to be a sulker and an attitude problem.

But I did remember someone (you) saying he needed to be given some consideration for the reasons you listed out at the time. Your post was encouraging as we wondered what we had in the backfield at the time.

Well played. Good call!
Old 04-25-2012   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Broyles is a name nobody talks about.
Nah, we've talked about Broyles! Another name on a long list.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 287880 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, Foster and Jeremiah Johnson were guys we thought would be great draft choices for us in the Draft Thread. When the UDFA names came out, several of us were excited to get Foster.

I'm not saying I was the first to jump on the bandwagon (because I wasn't) but there were people who were excited about foster from draft day.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #11
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
pretty sure we have covered everyone down in our dark little corner.
its been a really "quick" (hint hint nudge nudge) off-season so far many thanks have to given to the amount of great chatter we have all done done in the college forum
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
IIRC, Foster and Jeremiah Johnson were guys we thought would be great draft choices for us in the Draft Thread. When the UDFA names came out, several of us were excited to get Foster.

I'm not saying I was the first to jump on the bandwagon (because I wasn't) but there were people who were excited about foster from draft day.
Yep. If I remember correctly, there were a lot of us glad to have those two guys. Foster turned out to be the real deal and Johnson seems to have faded away somewhat. So, were we lucky or just darn good?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #13
skenney_11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Broyles is a name nobody talks about, but as you said: He IS very good.

He makes catches most WRs don't. Velcro hands.
Man I would love broyles but he isn't the typical situation size for kubiaks offense. He would be perfect at #99 and Childs with the next pick. Then another Foster type player is Cyrus Gray. A&M played in a zbs scheme, so he would fit in. All these guys could be all pros.
skenney_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

(June 11, 2009)
If Foster can return to the back he was during his Junior season, then the Texans definitely have steal...No need for applause...
Umm, you better check 76Texan's pre-draft post on May 5, 2009,

If there's any back-slapping to offer here it goes to him ..... or the guy that signed him.

Childs name is not new to the TT draftniks, they're all over him.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #15
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61481 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Childs a lot too, so the bandwagon is getting full!

For the record, a lot of us liked Foster. I was just going back in review mode, and found my own comment right after the draft when we were discussing Foster vs. Jeriamiah Johnson who I didn't think nearly as much of -

Quote:
Foster has a much better chance to make the roster than Johnson imho. Johnson doesn't take it up the gut, and Foster does. In fact prior to getting injured, Foster was given a 2nd round grade by the NFL advisory committee as a Jr. The guy has big time talent, but he isn't super fast. He was on my radar bigtime as we got into the 6th and 7th rds.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ghlight=foster

Man was RipTraxx wrong!
Old 04-26-2012   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Man was RipTraxx wrong!
Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
We've got our man [Jeremiah Johnson].

Im not that impressed with Foster from Tenn.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #17
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
Good call. Very good call. I might have one on par with this, as hard it would seem to match. I told the people with me at an Astros game in 2003 they didn't need Wagner or Dotel. They had their closer in middle reliever Brad Lidge. The guy had a throwing motion that came all from his shoulder and back and seemed like he created a huge amount of body torque making the slider unhittable. I was involved in Little League at the time and learning pitching mechanics with my kids who both pitched. I saw that guy up close declared he was going to be a bad man down the line and so it was. Brad Lidge turned out to be a dominant closer, so dominant he is the all time leader in strike outs per nine innings among pitchers with at least 200 appearances. All time. I'd say both Mr. Lidge and Mr. Foster came out of nowhere to become superstars in their sport.

edit: Superstars may be a tad strong. Dominant is a better description. In addition to being dominant, Lidge is a world series champion with the Phillies after helping the Astros come very close.
Yeah i remember I saw STEPHEN STRAUSBERG in little league TEE BALL and thinking man this kid can pitch, hes gonna be the first pick in the MLB draft and hes gonna be a beast on the mound, I also think hes gonna get drafted by an organization that doesnt exist yet named the Washington Nationals!!

MAN WAS I RIGHT!!
Old 04-26-2012   #18
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The player that I speak of is GREG CHILDS, WR, ARKANSAS. This guy was a manchild at Arkansas his junior season!
I drafted him in the 5th round in madden, and he became a beast for me lol
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Yeah, he's one of my guys and I've mocked and talked about him.
Old 04-26-2012   #20
skenney_11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yeah, he's one of my guys and I've mocked and talked about him.
I would love both. They can come in and replace Walter and Jones for a fraction of the cost.
skenney_11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read