Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Who's the best RB in the league?
Arian Foster 50 75.76%
MJD 10 15.15%
Darren McFadden 1 1.52%
Adrian Peterson 4 6.06%
Ray Rice 1 1.52%
Chris Johnson 0 0%
Steven Jackson 0 0%
Other: (Frank Gore, D. Williams, J. Charles, M. Turner, etc.) 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2012   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who's the best RB in the NFL right now?

I was having a beer with a friend last night and a couple of us at the bar starting talking about NFL running backs. I got some crazy looks when I announced Arian Foster is the best back in the league.

I admitted I am a bit of a homer and I was sporting my Texans hat so no shock there. I was making this assertion based on all the things an all around back like Arian does. Pass blocking, receiving out of the backfield, strong enough to run between the tackles and enough speed to break it out side.

So who is it in your mind?

The only criteria for the poll is who would you pick to be your guy at RB if you were a head coach? (not who's got the most power, speed, system guy, etc. but in a vacuum).

So who you takin'? I still choose Arian.
Old 04-19-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who's the best RB in the NFL right now?

Which scheme?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #3
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Which scheme?
I don't want to break it down by scheme, too convoluted. In a vacuum, who would you take to tote the rock. No other qualifiers.
Old 04-19-2012   #4
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 32050 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Hard to take the crown away from Peterson, but I think him and Foster are 1a and 1b, with Ray Rice and MJD right behind them.

Gotta vote for Foster though.
Old 04-19-2012   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

i mean its hard not to put arian up there but i think that McFadden and MJD are at least equally as good when they're healthy.

Peterson & Rice are the only other guys with a legitimate claim in which case peterson is an animal running the ball, but not as much of a factor in the passing game...and Rice is good but not great at both.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Hard to take the crown away from Peterson, but I think him and Foster are 1a and 1b, with Ray Rice and MJD right behind them.

Gotta vote for Foster though :flag:
My brother from another mother, my thoughts pretty much exactly. I take Arian because of his pass catching ability. Not even considering coming off the injury, plus AP is a violent runner I think he will wear his body out faster than Arian. Arian can lay a big hit, but he's slippery and doesn't take as much punishment. A very smart runner.
Old 04-19-2012   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
i mean its hard not to put arian up there but i think that McFadden and MJD are at least equally as good when they're healthy.

Peterson & Rice are the only other guys with a legitimate claim in which case peterson is an animal running the ball, but not as much of a factor in the passing game...and Rice is good but not great at both.
DMC is a helluva weapon, I am not sure about his pass pro though. MJD is a great pass blocker, and catches the ball well. He's a beast. I like them all, it's hard to pick just one.
Old 04-19-2012   #8
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think You have to be a Texans homer to rightfully put up Arian Foster as the best RB in the league.

He lead the league in rushing last year, and I fully believe had he not been injured to start the season he would've repeated.

He's got great hands out of the backfield and picks up the blitz packages well.

If he's not the best, I would at least consider him the most complete.

I will say this about MJD though, he was the Jags offense this year. Everyone knew he was going to get the ball and he lead to league in rushing still.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe I'm biased, but there's no way I vote for anyone but Arian.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
DMC is a helluva weapon, I am not sure about his pass pro though. MJD is a great pass blocker, and catches the ball well. He's a beast. I like them all, it's hard to pick just one.
We wont really know how good DMC is in pass pro until they get a capable qb back there; Dude had Jamarcus Russell back there to contend with. A capable qb makes a huge difference.

As for MJD, i just really hate to see great players in their primes being wasted on trash teams. & at the rate Jax is going, they're going to have worn pocket hercules down by the time they get turned around................and that can't happen until they realize Gabbert is just another name for garbage.
Old 04-19-2012   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

had to vote for arian, he's a complete back and has the best numbers over the past couple of years. my favorite back is MJD, and he's very close to being #1b IMO despite being the only offensive player on the jags, but foster has simply been the best lately.
Old 04-19-2012   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to go with MJD. That guy has been amazing for a few years without any passing game to take the heat off of him. He's a true power runner that would be great on any team in the league. He was excellent last year on a team with freaking Blaine Gabbert and one of the worst passing games in the league. 8 in the box almost every play and he still makes 4.5 ypc. His durability has been excellent too, only missing 3 games over 6 years.

Foster would be #2, his elusiveness is awesome, he's great in the passing game and he can take it to the house on almost any play. Another year or two of 1500+ total yards and he should be the clear #1.

Adrian Peterson is #3. Ray Rice is #4, then Lesean McCoy at #5.

DMC would be up there, but he just can't stay healthy. Jamaal Charles may be up there soon.
Old 04-19-2012   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I have to go with MJD. That guy has been amazing for a few years without any passing game to take the heat off of him. He's a true power runner that would be great on any team in the league. He was excellent last year on a team with freaking Blaine Gabbert and one of the worst passing games in the league. 8 in the box almost every play and he still makes 4.5 ypc. His durability has been excellent too, only missing 3 games over 6 years.

Foster would be #2, his elusiveness is awesome, he's great in the passing game and he can take it to the house on almost any play. Another year or two of 1500+ total yards and he should be the clear #1.

Adrian Peterson is #3. Ray Rice is #4, then Lesean McCoy at #5.

DMC would be up there, but he just can't stay healthy. Jamaal Charles may be up there soon.
Forgot all about him....he's a beast too, he just tries to do too much at times.
Old 04-19-2012   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster.

He is fast enough to take it the distance, strong enough to break tackles. Quick enough to make people miss, but has the size to run through people. He is a good blocker in the pass game, and he can also catch the ball and runs good routes to get open. He has great vision, patience and his acceleration is first class.

And the thing that about Arian is that he doesn't take many big hits. He will get all he can get and then protect his body.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would pick AD if he didn't have the injury issue
So Foster it is
Old 04-19-2012   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Best is a subjective term. Arian has the most total yards for any player that is not a QB the past 2 seasons each.

That might be different if players were on different teams, but I can only base my opinion on what I have.

I vote Arian Foster.

MJD and AP are the other 2 vying for votes. And all 3 deserve to win.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #17
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Average total yards per game 2011-12 season:

Arian Foster 141.6
Fred Jackson 137.6
Ray Rice 129.3
Matt Forte 123.9
MJD 123.8

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/sortabl...cending&state=

Arian had 1806 total yards at the end of the season, had he played 3 more games he probably would have been over 2200 yards on the season. That is pretty amazing... Might have to change my vote.
Old 04-19-2012   #18
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

I grade Forte, Foster, MJD, Peterson, and Rice equally.

All of those guys are just incredibly talented in their own unique ways.

They make up the "1st Tier" for me.
Old 04-19-2012   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The Jags last year were a truly awful team. The QB was scared to do much of anything, they've never had a WR, and the organization just always seems to be battling. Every team that played the Jags knew they only had ONE threat - MJD. And yet the guy delivered. The Vikings had the same scenario, and AP did not do as well when he was in there. Begrudgingly, I have to give the man his due. The last time he ever had a backfield mate worth mentioning, he had a season that should have netted him ROY honors and a Pro Bowl nod.

Arian a close second, especially for his versatility and fluidity.
Old 04-19-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster, RIce and Forte (might have an off 2012 if his contract is not resolved but I liked him prior to draft & still do). The thing with Foster is he fits all schemes and can run inside and out as well as catch. He is of a prime age; you bring the kindling, he'll bring the fire.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read