Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Otisbean's final 2012 mock

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Rd 1 J. Martin OT Stan

I thought Butler filled in well for Brown a couple years ago, but we really need OL depth in case anything happens to Brown or Butler. After the season, Martin was considered a top 15 pick, but after an off season of over analysis we find him slipping, good for us!

Rd 2 Mychal Kendricks OLB/ILB Cal

This guy has experience in a 3-4 at both inside and outside LB, I love what he could bring to our D. He has good pass rush/blitz ability and had shown good coverage ability.

Rd 3 Mike Martin NT Mich

A perfect Wade Phillips NT and great depth for our rotation, also allows Mitchell to move to DE as well.

Rd 4a Marivn Jones WR Cal

A good WR to groom, great athlete, good hands and played in a pro style offense at Cal

Rd 4b Michael Brewster OC OSU

Smart, tough C to groom behind Meyers

Rd 5 Devon Wylie WR/PR FSU

Ultra quick athletic slot receiver/punt returner. As much as everyone jumps on J.Jones, he's not a horrible WR, but his decision making on returns is atrocious. Wylie would hopefully develop into a Wes Welker/Devon Bess type slot R long term while providing some immediate help in the return game.

Rd 6 Adrien Robinson TE Cinn

Big and ultra athletic. Hopefully he develops into a solid rotational player

Rd 7

Bradie Ewing FB Wis

We need a FB for depth

I can dig the first two picks but the rest of the draft is a big meh.

1- Martin OT
2- Kendricks LB
3- Marvin McNutt WR Iowa
4a- Nigel Bradham OLB Florida St.
4b- Dequan Menzie DB Alabama
5- Keyshawn Martin WR/PR Michigan St.
6- Joe Looney OG Wake Forest
7- Randy Bullock Texas A/M

I had to rip your start, it's like chess kind of...your opening moves are nice.

Ha ha! Later rds is more about preference I guess. I'm not a fan of McNutt, I can't say why I'm just not, I feel the same way about Toon as well. I'm not familiar with the rest of your guys, but as far as my guys:

Martin : Cody is making decent jack so finding a young NT to groom to replace is a good idea IMO.

Jones: like the athleticism and route running ability as well as experience in a pro style O

Brewster: we have no back up C. There are others I like as well, Blake, Molk ect

Wylie: Im picking him for the return help mostly, anything to get JJ out of the PR duties. D Anderson was effective for us I the slot and I view Wylie as an uber athletic version of DA

The other 2 guys I was just filling needs

Cool, I could dig Jones and probably Brewster too but I think I'd probably get accused of beating a dead horse if I said anything else about Martin lol...

Wylie, honestly I can see the speed and why you would project him as a slot/KR type but I've really done a bit of homework on Keyshawn Martin. As far as slot/returner types go I would really only put Kendall Wright and Chris Rainey from Florida in the same class as prospects. Martin just seems like a guy that wouldn't take a big investment and could potentially rock and roll as a do-all "x-factor" type of threat. He just has unbelievable quickness and speed.

I think one thing we could probably agree on is Bullock, I can't see much of a reason to let him go elsewhere. We need a good young K and Bullock fits the bill as last year's Lou Graza award winner. He's also from Klein if I remember right, so the hometown thing is certainly present.

Cool, I could dig Jones and probably Brewster too but I think I'd probably get accused of beating a dead horse if I said anything else about Martin lol...

Wylie, honestly I can see the speed and why you would project him as a slot/KR type but I've really done a bit of homework on Keyshawn Martin. As far as slot/returner types go I would really only put Kendall Wright and Chris Rainey from Florida in the same class as prospects. Martin just seems like a guy that wouldn't take a big investment and could potentially rock and roll as a do-all "x-factor" type of threat. He just has unbelievable quickness and speed.

I think one thing we could probably agree on is Bullock, I can't see much of a reason to let him go elsewhere. We need a good young K and Bullock fits the bill as last year's Lou Graza award winner. He's also from Klein if I remember right, so the hometown thing is certainly present.

Rainey would be agreat fit. He could be a KR/PR, slot WR, 3rd string RB. Those kind of guys are invaluable. Rainey will probably go in the 4th rd. I dont think Rainey is the type of guy that Rick/Gary will draft. Wylie cando everything Rainey can do except play RB.

Wylie's best spot intially would be to play outside. He would be a massive upgrade to Jacoby as a KR/PR. He's definitely more sure handed/decisive than Jacoby.

Rd 1 J. Martin OT Stan

I thought Butler filled in well for Brown a couple years ago, but we really need OL depth in case anything happens to Brown or Butler. After the season, Martin was considered a top 15 pick, but after an off season of over analysis we find him slipping, good for us!

Rd 2 Mychal Kendricks OLB/ILB Cal

This guy has experience in a 3-4 at both inside and outside LB, I love what he could bring to our D. He has good pass rush/blitz ability and had shown good coverage ability.

Rd 3 Mike Martin NT Mich

A perfect Wade Phillips NT and great depth for our rotation, also allows Mitchell to move to DE as well.

Rd 4a Marivn Jones WR Cal

A good WR to groom, great athlete, good hands and played in a pro style offense at Cal

Rd 4b Michael Brewster OC OSU

Smart, tough C to groom behind Meyers

Rd 5 Devon Wylie WR/PR FSU

Ultra quick athletic slot receiver/punt returner. As much as everyone jumps on J.Jones, he's not a horrible WR, but his decision making on returns is atrocious. Wylie would hopefully develop into a Wes Welker/Devon Bess type slot R long term while providing some immediate help in the return game.

Rd 6 Adrien Robinson TE Cinn

Big and ultra athletic. Hopefully he develops into a solid rotational player

Rd 7

Bradie Ewing FB Wis

We need a FB for depth

Would not be surprised by Rd 1 J. Martin OT Stan. Would be a solid pick.

1. Martin, it's not a sexy pick but it's the type of pick that good teams make at the end of the 1st round by improving their O-lines with top talent while the rest of the league are taking QB, WR, RB, DE, DT, and CB. With the new CBA and lower rookie salaries, I could go for this pick.
2. Kendricks, Hell no. Undersized and why waste an early pick on the position that we just signed 2 cheap FA for, a rotational position that gets rotated out of the game half the time.
3. Martin, I'm still not fully behind this guy but I'm warming up to him. I give him props for hustle and agility.
4. Jones, I love this pick if he's still available. I could see him going in the 3rd.
4. Brewster, good depth pick.
5. Wylie, I don't know anything about this guy.
6. Robinson, see #5.
7. Ewing, I did some more reading on this guy recently and I'll pass.

The thing I like about Kendrick's is that he played OLB before moving inside last season. He has pass rushing ability as well as the ability to cover TEs. While he is on the short side, I believe he's very similar to James Harrsion in size. Could provide depth at 2 positions.

why spend a 2nd on a player who you could fill later on like Najee Goode, WVU in 6th/7th? makes little sense value wise or sense of urgency to fill vacancy with Sharpton in place & recent free agent additions.

It's Kendrick's versatility that makes him appealing to me. He can fill the role of 3rd pass rusher next season as well as provide depth at ILB. I think we need better depth at OLB, Nading is meh and Braman is an interesting prospect but pretty raw. I like Sharpton but he's had injury issues. I think MK can fill multiple roles. There are others I like as well, I just want a pass rusher in one of the first 3 rds.

It's Kendrick's versatility that makes him appealing to me. He can fill the role of 3rd pass rusher next season as well as provide depth at ILB. I think we need better depth at OLB, Nading is meh and Braman is an interesting prospect but pretty raw. I like Sharpton but he's had injury issues. I think MK can fill multiple roles. There are others I like as well, I just want a pass rusher in one of the first 3 rds.

I could be wrong, just going off memory (very suspect with all the brain cells I destroyed last night) but Kendrick is not my idea of pass rusher w/2.5 sacks last season. But I do follow your line of reasoning.

I could be wrong, just going off memory (very suspect with all the brain cells I destroyed last night) but Kendrick is not my idea of pass rusher w/2.5 sacks last season. But I do follow your line of reasoning.

Actually, you're pretty close, but in '10 when he was playing OLB he had 8.5 sacks and 15 tfls.

Back