Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-19-2012   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rey's Final 2012 Mock

1) Kevin Zeitler

I really, really like Zeitler. And the more I read about him the more I'm sold on him as our first round pick. He is an absolute mauler in the run game, but he also has good footwork. I think he would be a day 1 starter at guard and Smith and Caldwell could compete for the other guard spot. I think Zeitler is going to be a starter for a long time in the league. I think he will be dominant.

Quote:
A perfectionist, Zeitler expects more out of himself than anybody else possibly could in class, in the weight room and on the field. His anxious, nit-picking is noticed, and not always well-accepted, by classmates, teachers and teammates.

But it is opposing defenders who pay the price when the sum of his hard work pays off on the field. So, as expected, scouting reports show he does just about everything according to the book to his best ability - and he has plenty of ability. Zeitler added a significant amount of lean mass in his college career and used it well.

According the NFL Draft Report statistics he led college football with 142 knockdown blocks and had 33 blocks that resulted in touchdowns, obviously a major reason Wisconsin had a per-game average of 44.62 points and 467 total yards, including 237 on the ground.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p.../kevin-zeitler

2)I'm going to trade down out of the second round and pick up a 3rd and another 4th.

I considered taking Brandon Thompson here. I really like Thompson, but I think Martin at the top of middle of the third along with an extra 4th rounder is better value for us. Which leads to my next pick...

3A)Mike Martin

I think Martin is perfect for Wades system. He is a relentless worker, a good penetrator, strong, long arms and he's a good kid. His wrestling background helps him with his leverage and he has above average agility for the position. He adds flexibility to the D-line as well. I think Martin is perfectly suited for Wades version of the 3-4 whereas he may struggle in a more traditional 34 defense.

Quote:
Martin earned second-team All-Big Ten honors in 2011, racking up a career-high 54 tackles and three sacks to go along with six tackles for loss.

At 6-1, Martin is undersized height-wise, but he has a thick, compact build on his wrestler's frame. He fires off the snap with a relentless attitude and uses his low pad level and violent hands to tear through blockers.

Martin's long arms allow him to keep his opponents from grasping a firm hold of him. With good lateral agility, power and a relentless motor, Martin got the better of Ohio State's Michael Brewster, a possible top 100 pick, on numerous occasions during Senior Bowl practices.

Martin is an undersized nose tackle with loads of experience in a 3-4 defense. But he lacks a consistent anchor against double teams and just does not have the right frame to be an NFL starter. Because of his ability to penetrate against one-on-one blocks, Martin could be a solid rotation player in a 4-3 scheme as a three-technique tackle and move to the nose on passing downs.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...85/mike-martin

3B)Ladarius Green

Dorin Dickerson didn't work out, but moving Green to WR is exactly what I'd do. He has enough speed and agility to make the move and he definitely has the receiving/ball skills. At 6'6" and around 250 pounds he'd be a load for CB's to try to cover and he'd be an above average blocker for the position. Of course, the team would probably ask him to lose a little weight to get even quicker and faster. I'd let OD and Casey be the TE's for us and I'd try to ease Green into a WR role.

Quote:
Not many tight end average 18 yards a catch, as Green did in 2010. He does play in a non-BCS conference, but major programs like Georgia (4-87-1) last year, as well as LSU (6-64) and Nebraska (5-68) in 2009, found out he can make plays against defense. Scouts will likely give him similar grades to last year's top Sun Belt athletic-but-slender tight end, Florida Atlantic's Rob Housler (selected in the third round of the 2011 draft by Arizona).

Tremendous body control and concentration to pull the ball down in traffic. Closely covered on many receptions but had few drops. Good body control, focus and large 10-inch mitts. Has quick feet and lateral agility to uncover over the middle. Reliable jump-ball target with 82-inch wingspan. Effort blocker with good work and practice habits.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...ladarius-green

4A) Brandon Mosley

I like Mosley and we need more talent at OT. Butler could get injured, he may not be good enough, or he could be really good and not re-sign with us next off-season. Either way, Mosley is a good pick here for us and he could potentially be the future of the right side along with Zeitler.

Quote:
NFL scouts are always looking for late-blooming athletes with the potential to get much better. In Auburn offensive tackle Brandon Mosley, they might have a raw athlete capable of one day developing into a legitimate NFL starter.

Mosley was relatively lightly recruited out of high school but wound up signing on with Coffeyville [Kansas] Community College, one of the top junior college programs in the country. He initially lined up at defensive end before making the switch to tight end (his primary position in high school). He signed with Auburn as a tight end.

However, upon signing with Auburn, the Tigers' coaching staff asked him to gain weight and move to the offensive line. Quickly taking to the position, Mosley surprisingly leapt another JUCO-transfer Roszell Gayden, who had garnered higher praise upon signing. Mosley saw action in 14 games in his first season in the program, starting the final 11 contests (including the BCS Championship) consecutively. Mosley showed enough promise at right tackle in 2010 that he was asked to take over for Lee Ziemba (Carolina Panthers' 7th round pick) at left tackle in 2011. The experiment didn't last long as Mosely doesn't possess the footwork to handle the blindside. He also struggled with power, at times, when moved back to the right side.

While undeniably raw, scouts won't lose sight of the fact that Mosley maintained good initial quickness despite adding weight and stepped into the country's toughest conference and played well immediately. Considering his long arms, surprisingly powerful base and a tenacious playing style that will endear him to offensive line coaches, don't be surprised if Mosley earns a middle-round grade from some teams despite the fact that he's remains very much a work in progress.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...brandon-mosley

4B)Ron Brooks

Brooks is primarily a pick to help Special teams coverage. He is an elite gunner on the Punt team. He is a good blitzer out of the nickel and dime position and has shown some good coverage ability. He would not be expected to be a big time contributor in regular sets, but instead be a special teams star.

Quote:
Elite athleticism. Has the speed to stick with any receiver in the game. Frequently used to blitz off the edge and shows impressive closing speed. Experienced lining up out wide and over the slot. Experienced on special teams coverage. Fairly reliable tackler; doesn’t always wrap up but gives a solid effort considering his size. Selflessly played a reserve role behind Patrick Peterson, Morris Claiborne and Tyrann Mathieu, despite having the skills to start for most programs.

Limited experience matching up against top receivers; primarily played a backup role in college. Height is only average. Much more comfortable in man coverage than in zone. Gets impatient in zone coverage; doesn’t always keep his eyes on the quarterback and is slow to react at times. Willing to tackle quarterbacks and receivers, but seems to shy away from contact when going after more physically-imposing running back.

Brooks appears to have all the tools necessary to play at the next level, but he really hasn’t been tested. Primarily playing the role of the nickel corner – and being used to blitz far more than your average cornerback – he hasn’t been forced to battle with many future NFL receivers. There’s a lot to like about his potential, but since we’ve seen so little of him he definitely qualifies as a boom-or-bust prospect.
http://draftace.com/blog/2012/04/13/...outing-report/

4C) Marvin Jones

Should be a solid receiver at the NFL level. He may not be a star, but he should be a good receiver to have. He has good skills, a strong upper body to pull down balls in traffic and he has good speed. I think this pick makes Jacoby or Walter expendable this season or next.

Quote:
He ran polished routes. He did a good job driving his defender back in zone coverage to get an open spot for his quarterback to find him. If playing against man coverage he'd utilize strong footwork to make sure defenders were doubling back rather than getting close on him. Jones would never launch for any real open field touchdowns, but his excellent technique ensured that he'd get his fair share of catches and make his QB feel comfortable out there, regardless of where that throw was going (post down the middle, go route straight down the line, corner route to the sideline/end zone).

Jones was a solid blocker, so he provided a nice seal for the screen. He could run an end-around pretty effectively as well to provide a nice change-of-pace from the standard options. However, he still needs some work on his blocking, which might discourage the Niners from taking him. Harbaugh loves receivers who commit fully to engaging defensive backs, and Jones probably still doesn't quite yet know all the tricks.

Unfortunately, Cal's quarterbacks couldn't match Jones's natural talents. Kevin Riley could uncork that deep throw but other than the post route, struggled with short and intermediate, Zach Maynard had an up and down time controlling his accuracy, commanding the pocket, lacked a deep throw, and favored his brother Keenan Allen, limiting Jones's touches in his senior season. Jones still had some great moments and provided his pro credentials by making great adjustments to mediocre throws, helping to keep Cal's offense functioning even against the toughest of opponents.
http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/4/1...couting-report

5) Janzen Jackson

Has some red flags concerning character, but reading through the situation I think this is a guy the Texans would make an exception for. His is a coaches kid. He has tremendous talent and a good football acumen. He hits like a safety and displays good enough coverage to play some corner. I think he's a better player than Keo and I think he'd easily make the roster over him if Keo hasn't shown tremendous growth since last year.

Quote:
Jackson's talent is undeniable. While built more like a cornerback than a safety, he has the vision, range, hitting ability and ball skills team want at free safety in today's pass-heavy NFL. Ultimately, the question isn't where he'd fit in an NFL defensive backfield but whether his serious off-field issues will keep him from getting a chance to do so.

POSITIVES: Lean, athletic build with plenty of room for additional muscle mass. Legitimate NFL-caliber athlete. Possesses good straight-line speed, fluid hips to turn and run and explosiveness out of his breaks. Good vision and anticipation as a free safety. Reads the quarterback's eyes and gets an excellent break on the ball. Is a considerably bigger hitter than his slight frame would lead you to believe. Closes quickly and generates an explosive collision on impact that can separate the football …

NEGATIVES: Possesses a slim build more conducive to cornerback than safety. Physicality he shows as a hitter will wear on his own body too, especially considering his slight stature for the position. Lowers his shoulder for the big hit rather than wrapping up securely. Was arrested, along with two other Tennessee players for taking part in an armed robbery of a convenience store November 11, 2009 in Knoxville. Was ultimately released when prosecutors determined that he did not know the crime was being committed.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...janzen-jackson

6) Randy Bullock

He's an Aggie, so he has that going for himself. He's also been a very good kicker at the college level. If the Texans draft him here and he becomes a long time fixture he will be well worth a 6th round pick.

Quote:
Record-setting senior season resulted in Bullock winning the 2011 Lou Groza Award and consensus All-America honors. He goes into the bowl game with a streak of 50 PAT s … made 12 straight FGs in a seven-game span at midseason, and connected on a career-high four FGs in two games … may have clinched the Groza Award with a four-FG game in finale against Texas, which included a career-long 52-yarder and a 49-yarder … petroleum engineering major was named second-team Academic All-Big 12.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p.../randy-bullock

7) Chad Diehl

Love Diehls game. He is a pounder in every sense of the word. He would allow Casey to assume more TE duties, and he would help to keep Foster clean in the running game. Diehl is a hammer. Watch some film of him. He relishes contact and looks to punish defenders.

Quote:
Diehl is a classic sledgehammer fullback. He handles any blocking assignment he's handed from blitz pickup to straight-ahead drive blocking, and he almost always gets the job done with authority. Diehl also played on punt and kick coverages, kickoff returns, and won Clemson's Hustle and Dedication awards. He's a high-effort player and delivers high-impact blocks but won't likely carve a niche in an NFL offense beyond blowing open running lanes and giving up his body in short-yardage on occasion.
Has a stout physique and excels at blocking. Accelerates off the snap, stays low, bends knees, sinks hips, punches well, and almost always hits the mark. Has good power and will drive defenders back. Has a comfortable set in pass protection and knows how to use hands effectively.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...940/chad-diehl

Last edited by Rey; 04-19-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rey's Final 2012 Mock

Agreed

You cant go wrong picking Zeitler.

What are the rest of the picks in your mock?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed

You cant go wrong picking Zeitler.

What are the rest of the picks in your mock?

More picks coming...I'm doing this on the fly and I'm really thinking about the picks.
Old 04-19-2012   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

In summation:

1) Kevin Zeitler, OG
3) Mike Martin, NT
3) Ladarius Green, WR
4) Brandon Mosley, OT
4) Ron Brooks, CB
4) Marvin Jones, WR
5) Janzen Jackson, S
6) Randy Bullock, L
7) Chad Diehl, FB

Offense ruled this draft with special teams getting a boost as well. Defense got some help with Martin and potentially Brooks and Jackson.

The running game breathes a sigh of relief by getting an immediate starter in Zeitler and a pounding FB and Mosley as depth and maybe a future starter.

Martin helps the D-line and Brooks provides back end depth and ST help.

Last edited by Rey; 04-19-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Zeitler, he's a very good player but also a very safe pick because I think most would agree that he's pretty close to a can't miss pick. I just question if the value he offers in the 1st is enough to offset the value offered by an OG in the 2nd or 3rd.
2. You say that you like Thompson here but then trade him away for a 3rd and 4th. I think your over thinking this a bit to much, don't get cute or fancy take the player you really like in the 2nd. The value of Thompson in the 2nd is greater than that of a mid round TE that your trying to convert to a position he's not familiar with and a mid round CB that likely only sees the field on special teams. The future anchor of your D-line is more important.
3a. Martin, I'm still not fully behind this guy but I have to give him credit for lots of hustle and I'm very slowly warming up to Martin as a Texan.
3b. Green, if you like what Green does enough at TE to draft him in the 3rd then leave him at what he does best. Don't over think it.
4a. Mosley, I love this pick, starter at RT in 2013.
4b. Brooks, to early for taking a guy just to play special teams.
4c. Jones, I love this pick if available, but don't understand taking a special teams player ahead of a guy who could possibly start in a year or be your #3 WR this year.
5. Jackson, I think he's got potential but to many red flags for the Texans.
6. Bullock, I really like this pick as well.
7. Diehl, I think we can get him as an UDFA, no need to use a draft pick here.

Sorry but you've done better in the past.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

I think an easier position for green to transition to in the NFL would be wr. He has the ability and measureables for the position. I believe he can be dominant at the position, mores than many of the wr's we'll have a crack at. 6'6", low 4.5 speed, great hands, good route runner. He could be an absolute freak of a wr.

And I think Martin is a good player that would make a lot of plays in this defense. I think that because of his athleticism he'd be a good fit here.

Brooks is not just a special teams guy. Yes I'm taking him mainly for his beastly st ability in his first year, but he has shown good coverage skills as a corner as well. If McCain gets hurt or slips Brooks is a possibility there in the future. Combine that with the fact that he's an impact special teams player and I think he's well worth the pick.

Yes I took one guy with character concerns in the 5th round. If he doesn't work out, who cares he was a fifth rounder. If he does you have a steal. And while he's had some character concerns I think it's been things that he could bounce back and mature from. I think the potential reward greatly outweighs the risk.

I also disagree with your take on Diehl. He's a stud battering ram full back. Other teams have access to udfa's too ya know. No guarantee that you will just get who you want and if you like a guy and think he can be a day 1 starter, a 7th round pick is excellent value.

Not to mention that he too plays special teams.

I disagree with your last sentence too. I think this is the best draft I've put together yet and I think it helps boost all three units with offense and special teams getting the most help.

But I do appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-20-2012   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

your mind is completely fried dude, I know- been there done that but you seriously need to get a 12pk of something strong & chill
your stuff is lunatic crazy, think I'll trade a late 2nd & pick up a 3rd & 4th. But I'll tell you what despite dumping on our first round pick Coby Fleener & you take Kevin Zeitler, I'm going to give you a rep for effort, how's that for being a sport

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-20-2012   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

just as soon as I can give you another one

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
just as soon as I can give you another one
Got it for you.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read