Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-24-2012   #61
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How important is NFL draft to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I just got home a few minutes ago and had a voice message on business phone that my trip to Yakima was postponed. I will be able to go back to my NFL draft weekend routine!
Dancing in the streets!! Oh, yeah. Guess I'l have to do another mock to celebrate---

Woot! Woot!

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #62
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Now THAT is a better idea. Friday should be the 1st round.

I just wonder if Goodell thinks the younger fans (the 18 to 30-yr-old crowd) will be out on the town and not near a TV.

On a Thursday night, your ass will be in front of a TV about 99% of the time throughout the year. I think it's the law of averages that made them choose Thursday night. What show on a Thursday night historically draws enough eyeballs of the NFL viewer demographic? None, IMO.

Goodell could really mess with people if he started the draft in reverse. Round 7 is first, on Thursday night, and you can only draft from a certain pool of players...saving the cream of the crop for Saturday's 1st round. LOL. Man oh man would heads explode.
yeah the nfl already gives players an idea where they can be expected to be drafted so those would be selected from round computer identifies. Maybe allow the first four rounds to be the usual way. Lordy, i am bored.
Old 04-24-2012   #63
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
In 2002, we had 6 draft picks in the 5-7th round, 1 of which contributed.

In 2003, we had 4 draft picks in the 5-7th round, none of whom really contributed.

In 2004, we had 6 draft picks in the 5-7th round, 1 contributed a little. (Charlie Anderson, left off the guys list.)

In 2005, we had 3 picks in the 5-7th round, 1 contributed.

In 2006, we had 2 picks in the 5-7th round, 2 contributed.

In 2007, 4 picks, 2 contributed to us. A third, Brandon Frye, started some games for the Seahawks. And Brandon Harrison also contributed, although not much.

In 2008, 3 picks, 1 contributed.

I think it's important to see the hit to miss ratio over the years.
but didn't some of those years involve trading current low rounds to teams for a bump up following year? I thought there were 2-3 seasons where we traded 6th or 7th for following year 5th or 6th.
Old 04-25-2012   #64
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
but didn't some of those years involve trading current low rounds to teams for a bump up following year? I thought there were 2-3 seasons where we traded 6th or 7th for following year 5th or 6th.
I'm not sure what the trades were but if you look at the picks we had:

2002: 1 1, 2 2s, 2 3s, 1 4, 2 5s, 2 6s, 2 7s.
2003: 1 1, 1 2, 3 3s, 1 4, 2 6s, 2 7s
2004: 2 1s, 1 4, 3 6s, 3 7s
2005: 1 1, 1 3, 1 4, 1 5, 1 6, 1 7

I wasn't following the draft very closely back then. Did the league give us extra picks in 2002? In 2004, we didn't have a 2nd, a 3rd, or a 5th (after trading up for Babin, iirc.) But look at all those 6s and 7s.

2003 is the real changeup though, with 3 3s but no 5. I have a feeling a 6 and a 7 that year were probably compensatory picks.

By 2005, we have a more normal pick distribution. But those first three years, we've got an ungodly number of 6s and 7s.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read