Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-18-2012   #41
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schuab has Hardware removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
There is the 'little" problem of not having a legitimate back-up QB.
Just sign a vet in the offseason of after trading Schaub.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #42
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
They are talking in-season trading Schaub. and there is about zero QBs hanging around the unemployment line who are better than healthy schaub (and I get his health is far from guaranteed).
Old 04-18-2012   #43
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
They are talking in-season trading Schaub. and there is about zero QBs hanging around the unemployment line who are better than healthy schaub (and I get his health is far from guaranteed).
Should have been "or after..." not "of". There are vet QBs in the middle of the season. Of course, all of this depends on how well Yates plays.
Old 04-21-2012   #44
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Schaub has Hardware removed

i said it after the injury was announced, schaub has played his last game as a texans. I know it sucks, but when he comes back, the team will be in mid season form and tj will be in control of the offense.
Old 04-22-2012   #45
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
i said it after the injury was announced, schaub has played his last game as a texans. I know it sucks, but when he comes back, the team will be in mid season form and tj will be in control of the offense.
and we'll be VERY lucky to be at .500. And Foster + our defense will carry us to any wins we manage.
Yates will be - AT BEST - a spot duty backup.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012   #46
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
and we'll be VERY lucky to be at .500. And Foster + our defense will carry us to any wins we manage.
I disagree.

I think Yates will be able to compete for a starting job somewhere if not here.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012   #47
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude.

I went back and watched the Falcons game and the first series of the last Titans game. TJ, as a rook, played a helluva lot better than just a spot duty backup.

Give this kid a real off-season and starter's reps in TC? I think you're going to be surprised.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2012   #48
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Dude.

I went back and watched the Falcons game and the first series of the last Titans game. TJ, as a rook, played a helluva lot better than just a spot duty backup.

Give this kid a real off-season and starter's reps in TC? I think you're going to be surprised.
I said it last year as well. He has the capabitly. I also think it's a matter of reps with the fisrt team and a full off season. TJ was tossed in the barrel last season and aside from the most obvious parts, he did a great job for the practice and reps he had (not even running OUR offense).

Like Rey said, I think he's going to compete for a starte's job as well and but I don't see him doing anywhere than here. I don't see Kubes letting him get away. This is based on my thought that I'm not sure Matt has an even 50 - 50 chance of coming back with the history of his particular injury. I'm not buying into the Texans' spin on it just yet.

Like I've seen a few others post, I wouldn't be surpised to see Matt PUP'd.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012   #49
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If you're in the camp that Yates just needs first team reps through the off-season, I think you can rest easy, from all the info I've seen on Matt's injury, even if he was to start week 1, he isn't going to be taking too many reps in practice.

I saw Yates looking about level with any of those borderline starting QB's in their rookie seasons, of course Yates having only taken 3rd team reps for most of the season, you'd have to think he has a chance to outperform that analysis, but at the same time he might end up as one of the ones who fail.

Either way, he's already lived up to his draft position if he never played another down. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I wasn't forced to find out which way he's going to go this season tbh, much rather have the chance to wait 1 more year.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #50
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
If you're in the camp that Yates just needs first team reps through the off-season, I think you can rest easy, from all the info I've seen on Matt's injury, even if he was to start week 1, he isn't going to be taking too many reps in practice.

I saw Yates looking about level with any of those borderline starting QB's in their rookie seasons, of course Yates having only taken 3rd team reps for most of the season, you'd have to think he has a chance to outperform that analysis, but at the same time he might end up as one of the ones who fail.

Either way, he's already lived up to his draft position if he never played another down. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I wasn't forced to find out which way he's going to go this season tbh, much rather have the chance to wait 1 more year.
Think this is posting that I agree with for the most part. Yates played well for the situation that he was placed, he did not consistently perform as a legitiamte starting QB. There is distinct difference. While not a true superstar or anything, healthy Schaub is legitimate NFL starting QB, 10 to 12 guys better at the moment. Healthy is an issue.

If there was some way for him to get enough playing to figure out what the Texans have in Yates, but not run him out there for 10-12 plus games as the starter that would be the ideal situation for me.
Old 04-23-2012   #51
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude.

You mean the Falcons' game where Yates went 12 of 25 for 188 yds and threw what would have been the game-tying pick-six (in the fourth quarter I might add) but was saved by Dunta Robinson on a defensive holding penalty?? THAT Falcons' game??

Did I mention the Yates fumble for a six that was called back due to off-setting penalties in the first qtr?

That's 14 pts the rook gave away only to be saved by penalties...

Oh yeaaah, that game gives me great confidence in him.
Old 04-23-2012   #52
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:

This is where I am. (maybe I was a bit harsh in that prior post )
On the positive side, we've gotten more than we've bargained for already. Dude was pressed into service in dire circumstances and, while he didn't transform into a Tom Brady clone, he more than held his own in spots.

On the other hand, he looked like the 5th-round/3rd string guy he was in other spots. So there's no way that I think Yates is ready, right now, to be handed this offense. Just on experience and reading defenses alone, 85-90% Matt Schaub is better - right now - than a 110% T.J. Yates.

I say, let's give Yates another year, with 2nd team (and maybe some 1st team - since I agree we don't want to wear Schaub out in T/C) reps in camp AND a full pre-season running the second team and lets see where he is.

Oh and let's bring in a vet to push him.

I ain't saying cut the kid. I just don't think he's ready to be "handed this team". Not yet.
Old 04-23-2012   #53
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

That wasn't fumble.
Old 04-23-2012   #54
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That wasn't fumble.
Was also his first NFL start against a pretty good Falcons D.
Old 04-23-2012   #55
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mean the Falcons' game where Yates went 12 of 25 for 188 yds and threw what would have been the game-tying pick-six (in the fourth quarter I might add) but was saved by Dunta Robinson on a defensive holding penalty?? THAT Falcons' game??

Did I mention the Yates fumble for a six that was called back due to off-setting penalties in the first qtr?

That's 14 pts the rook gave away only to be saved by penalties...

Oh yeaaah, that game gives me great confidence in him.
Yeah. That game. His first start. Against a playoff team. That we won. That game.
Old 04-23-2012   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We have a coach that is renown for his schooling of QBs. I think Schaub is a perfect example as he had little more to show prrior to coming here than Yates will next season. We know what a healthy Matt can an cannot do. We have only an inkling of what a Yates with entire offseason and TC will do. Best thing that happened to TJ was his condfidence was boosted. Add another weapon or two for our QB to throw to and the entire team benefits. How many times have we heard that Texans offense does not need a superstar QB to be successful? As I believe Schaub will be Mario part 2 in 2013, we better hope Yates is the man.

Last edited by badboy; 04-24-2012 at 07:54 AM.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

For the most part I agree. I think you should also take into account that teams didn't know what to expect from him the first couple of games. Once they got a better handle on him, he looked like a 5th round rookie.

I am also not in favor of "forcing" him into a starters role. He's a back up, maybe a damn good back up. But judging from his last game, he still has a lot of work to do, before he is ready. He left way too much on the table.

I like the kid & would love it if he were the guy to take us to the promised land. I'm just not convinced he is that guy now & I'm not ready to start the season with him as our #1 QB. We found out in 2009 how important week 1 can be.
Old 04-25-2012   #58
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
For the most part I agree. I think you should also take into account that teams didn't know what to expect from him the first couple of games. Once they got a better handle on him, he looked like a 5th round rookie.
The guy was making his 7th start in the playoffs against one of the great defenses of all time, a defense that has made all pro QBs look silly. And we were still in it at the end of the game.

Your bar might be set a little high.
Old 04-25-2012   #59
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Last I heard, "l'm an elite quarterback" is still available.
Old 04-25-2012   #60
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The guy was making his 7th start in the playoffs against one of the great defenses of all time, a defense that has made all pro QBs look silly. And we were still in it at the end of the game.

Your bar might be set a little high.
This.

No one doubts Dalton and her performed pretty awful last year against the ravens as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read