Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-14-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andre Johnson's longevity

Just curious how posters look at how much longer AJ will be able to play. It is often mentioned that Texans need to start looking for his replacement. IMO most receivesr need two years to hit full strife in the NFL. I don't see a WR in this draft at any of our picks that could lead to an eventual replacement. I think Streeter could if he maxes out. I think we can address WR2 and love Fleener as either a WR or TE. We could perhaps also pick up a slot as I did in my individual mock but a replacement will probably come in a later year.

Your thoughts?
Old 04-14-2012   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson's longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just curious how posters look at how much longer AJ will be able to play. It is often mentioned that Texans need to start looking for his replacement. IMO most receiver need two years to hit full strife in the NFL. I don't see a WR in this draft at any of our picks that could lead to an eventual replacement. I think Streeter could if he maxes out. I think we can address WR2 and love Fleener as either a WR or TE. We could perhaps also pick up a slot as I did in my individual mock but a replacement will probably come in a later year.

Your thoughts?
It's going to be hard to find another "Andre Johnson", those players are rare... However there are plenty of WRs in this draft that can develop into #1 WRs and we need to grab one pronto... THIS YEAR.

I remember posting on this board during Andre's first couple of seasons and the discussion then was how Bradford was not the receiver that we need to have paired with a young stud like Andre Johnson.. and how we need to find a vet who could teach him the ropes. I remember when the Raiders cut ties with Rice in '04 there were a LOT of people who wanted to bring him on board just for that reason..

Well now we have that type of receiver and we need to find his student... he tried to take Jacoby under his wing, but Jacoby isn't the student or technician that he was or needs. If we don't get a young buck to mold under him, we're simply wasting the opportunity of having a young talented receiver to learn tricks of the trade from one of the best.

It's time that Andre Johnson becomes our Marvin Harrison to our Reggie Wayne (and no, I don't think Wayne would be the player that he became if it wasn't for Harrison)....and Harrison was 28 when the Colts drafted Wayne... Johnson will be 31 this summer. It pains me to say this, but since you asked the question, I think even if Johnson stays healthy, he only has about 2 more elite seasons left in him, then he'll begging to tail off as just a productive receiver. Which make the urgency that much greater to great a blue chip prospect THIS YEAR. Like Harrison was to Wayne... Johnson needs to be able to SHOW him how it's done and how to be great, not just be here to tell him about what he used to be able to do.

Getting somebody here under Andre, who has 1st round talent and a elite shot at becoming a franchise WR is LONG overdue and it has to be done THIS YEAR. It's one of the biggest disservices the team has done over the last few seasons to be quite honest. We simply cannot afford to continue to sit on our hands and wait for a later year. I remember Andre saying that he thought about retirement when he was battling through his injury situation. Andre is not the type of guy who's going to stick around to chase numbers and I think he's the type of guy who'll simply quietly hang up the cleats at a moments notice as soon as he thinks he doesn't have it anymore. Because of that reason, I think his remaining career might be a lot shorter than others might think. He just seems like that kind of cat who once he thinks he's "losing it" he's done and will walk away. We need to get another #1 type of receiver in here...and if we pick the right guy, it might actually extend Andre's career.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #3
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5174 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
It's going to be hard to find another "Andre Johnson", those players are rare... However there are plenty of WRs in this draft that can develop into #1 WRs and we need to grab one pronto... THIS YEAR.

I remember posting on this board during Andre's first couple of seasons and the discussion then was how Bradford was not the receiver that we need to have paired with a young stud like Andre Johnson.. and how we need to find a vet who could teach him the ropes. I remember when the Raiders cut ties with Rice in '04 there were a LOT of people who wanted to bring him on board just for that reason..

Well now we have that type of receiver and we need to find his student... he tried to take Jacoby under his wing, but Jacoby isn't the student or technician that he was or needs. If we don't get a young buck to mold under him, we're simply wasting the opportunity of having a young talented receiver to learn tricks of the trade from one of the best.

It's time that Andre Johnson becomes our Marvin Harrison to our Reggie Wayne (and no, I don't think Wayne would be the player that he became if it wasn't for Harrison)....and Harrison was 28 when the Colts drafted Wayne... Johnson will be 31 this summer. It pains me to say this, but since you asked the question, I think even if Johnson stays healthy, he only has about 2 more elite seasons left in him, then he'll begging to tail off as just a productive receiver. Which make the urgency that much greater to great a blue chip prospect THIS YEAR. Like Harrison was to Wayne... Johnson needs to be able to SHOW him how it's done and how to be great, not just be here to tell him about what he used to be able to do.

Getting somebody here under Andre, who has 1st round talent and a elite shot at becoming a franchise WR is LONG overdue and it has to be done THIS YEAR. It's one of the biggest disservices the team has done over the last few seasons to be quite honest. We simply cannot afford to continue to sit on our hands and wait for a later year. I remember Andre saying that he thought about retirement when he was battling through his injury situation. Andre is not the type of guy who's going to stick around to chase numbers and I think he's the type of guy who'll simply quietly hang up the cleats at a moments notice as soon as he thinks he doesn't have it anymore. Because of that reason, I think his remaining career might be a lot shorter than others might think. He just seems like that kind of cat who once he thinks he's "losing it" he's done and will walk away. We need to get another #1 type of receiver in here...and if we pick the right guy, it might actually extend Andre's career.
TL;DR version: Draft a receiver.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

It is also important to select a guy who will be a student; too many WRs are prima donnas and will not listen to anyone.
Old 04-14-2012   #5
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5078 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
so who are y'all thinking then? what do we do? do we trade up?
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-14-2012   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is also important to select a guy who will be a student; too many WRs are prima donnas and will not listen to anyone.
Well that just further proves my point.. It's best to draft a receiver (the pima donna position) when you have a guy who commands as much respect league wide as Andre Johnson does on the roster. Loud mouth receivers like Chad Johnson have even given him props and nobody is going to challenge what the man has to say. Having a receiver like Andre Johnson on the roster means you can draft the most flamboyant receiver in the draft and that player will still know where he sits in the pecking order and he'll still think twice about challenging the guy. Andre = respect. Everybody has learned before, it's always the quiet guys that you don't want to piss off or mess with.. Innegan certainly learned that lesson
Old 04-14-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Well that just further proves my point.. It's best to draft a receiver (the pima donna position) when you have a guy who commands as much respect league wide as Andre Johnson does on the roster. Loud mouth receivers like Chad Johnson have even given him props and nobody is going to challenge what the man has to say. Having a receiver like Andre Johnson on the roster means you can draft the most flamboyant receiver in the draft and that player will still know where he sits in the pecking order and he'll still think twice about challenging the guy. Andre = respect. Everybody has learned before, it's always the quiet guys that you don't want to piss off or mess with.. Innegan certainly learned that lesson
Agreed although imo only 2 WRs could be there at #26 that could be #1 quickly; Wright and perhaps Hill.
Old 04-14-2012   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
What was too long about that post? (which was filled with more than "draft a receiver") Has this country really become that lazy where they can't even read 5 simple paragraphs. Sad

I was a member of generation x, your generation should be called generation acronym or generation "too lazy to type out thoughts or read" Oh well, maybe that's just a by product of having these smart phones. I'm really starting to think Mike Judge was a freaking prophet with his unheralded "Idiocracy" film.
Old 04-14-2012   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What was too long about that post? (which was filled with more than "draft a receiver") Has this country really become that lazy where they can't even read 5 simple paragraphs. Sad
Yes, that one forum poster is an excellent gauge of the entire country's laziness.
Old 04-14-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for explaining what he meant.
Old 04-14-2012   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yes, that one forum poster is an excellent gauge of the entire country's laziness.
Read the rest of that post... (granted, I'm stuck out in the boonies and my edits are hit and miss... connection sucks out here)

You must be a member of that generation seeing how you took offense to what I said. Thanks for responding though.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 04-14-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2012   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thanks for explaining what he meant.
I'm not going to lie... I had to google it, I guess I don't eat at "buttfu*kers"
Old 04-14-2012   #13
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL @ a thread title referring to Dre's weiner.

Shouldn't there be another section for this?
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
LOL @ a thread title referring to Dre's weiner.

Shouldn't there be another section for this?
So says the member named Shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Read the rest of that post... (granted, I'm stuck out in the boonies and my edits are hit and miss... connection sucks out here)

You must be a member of that generation seeing how you took offense to what I said. Thanks for responding though.
Lol, I didn't take offense, you give yourself too much credit if you think that. However, I did point out the logical fallacy of your complaint. Feel free to keep tossing out idiotic generalizations, I'll be happy to shoot them down.
Old 04-15-2012   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Lol, I didn't take offense, you give yourself too much credit if you think that. However, I did point out the logical fallacy of your complaint. Feel free to keep tossing out idiotic generalizations, I'll be happy to shoot them down.
Actually you did take offense to what I said...which is the reason why you felt compelled to put your two sense in and respond in the first place.. And no, you didn't point out any "logical fallacy in my complaint" either.

I simply called one guy lazy for not spelling out what he meant to say and I'll easily call you lazy for doing as such.. Guess what, "puller of other man's meat", that will make you lazy as well. keep pulling.
Old 04-15-2012   #17
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well played sir.
Old 04-15-2012   #18
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You missed it. Let me help you out...

Old 04-15-2012   #19
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

1) I think the end of Andre's playing days are closer than any of us would like to think,

2) This year's WR class is a 2nd round class. None can touch an AJ Green or even a Julio Jones, according to every scout/player personnel guy I've asked.

3) I have no information on Andre Johnson's wiener. ( I did hear VY hopes to locker-up with AJ & his wiener, but that's another topic. )
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
1) I think the end of Andre's playing days are closer than any of us would like to think,
I think he hit the apex of his career in 2010 and he's on the downside now and
the concern has got to be (a) how rapidly do his raw athletic talents decline from this point on and (b) how much playing time will he miss because of injuries ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read