Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-14-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Nfl football without kickoffs?

Is this where the 35 yard line kickoff was really meant to go? Seems like it. Given a couple more years, most of us may not recognize the game anymore. I expect within the decade, NFL football will be taken from the field and safely played on Madden displayed on huge Jerry World displays while fans are expected to still fill stadium stands. Maybe the many NFL players reportedly so into Madden know something we don't!

John Mara: NFL “evolving toward” eliminating kickoffs
Quote:
April 14, 2012, 2:36 PM EDT
The NFL’s decision last year to move kickoffs from the 30-yard line to the 35 may have been the first step toward moving kickoffs out of football completely.

That’s the word from Giants owner John Mara, a Competition Committee member who says the conversations have already started about potentially taking the play that has started every football game in history out of the league for good.

“We had a lot of discussions about whether we should eliminate it and if we did what we could do in its place,” Mara told Giants.com. “There’s no consensus on it right now, but I could see the day in the future where that play could be taken out of the game. You see it evolving toward that.”

Mara says the Competition Committee’s top priority is player safety, and that the increase in touchbacks last year coincided with a decrease in concussions. In the eyes of the league office and NFL owners, that proves that moving the kickoff was the right idea.

What’s unclear is what would take the place of the kickoff if it ceased to exist. Mara says the NFL won’t eliminate the kickoff until it has the right plan for how to get rid of it, but he seems to think the kickoff is just a fundamentally unsafe play.

“Nobody would go that far now, but we talk about different blocks that we can outlaw,” Mara said. “The problem is that the concussions come from everywhere, from the wedge, from the crossing blocks where a guy goes from one side of the field to another, from a full speed collision between a return guy and a tackler. So there’s no one thing that you can do. It’s something that we’ll continue to watch as closely as possible.”

If the NFL were to eliminate the kickoff, it would likely adopt a rule that after every touchdown or field goal the other team gets the ball at the 20-yard line, and that each half starts with one team getting the ball at the 20 as well. A bigger question is whether onside kicks would continue to exist: Late-game strategy would change significantly if the onside kick was no longer an option.

But make no mistake: The NFL is serious enough about cutting down on injuries on kickoffs that last year’s rules change won’t be the last one.

“There was no support for moving the kickoff back to the 30 yard-line,” Mara said.

And some day, there may be no support for having kickoffs at all.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #2
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nfl football without kickoffs?

Ruins the game. Game winning touchdowns off of a kickoff is always awesome. Terrible idea No Fun League...
Old 04-14-2012   #3
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmm... That would for sure change the game... Getting closer to removing the foot from football..

I'm almost happy to hear it, as it seems a majority of kickoffs result in either a touchback, or there's an illegal block in the back penalty...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #4
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18096 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

down 14 with under 2 minutes to go with no onside kick option game is over no more great comebacks.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #5
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 23062 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

In high school, I was always the KR and PR, so I always look forward to kickoffs. It's exciting, fast pace, and is the very definition of football.
Old 04-14-2012   #6
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

I would start watching the CFL if this happened. Kick offs are one of the most exciting parts of the game for me because theres always a chance they take it to the house. Its also a way for back ups to make a name for themselves like Terrell Davis and Braman last year.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #7
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

When fans start voicing their opinions by not digging into their wallets every fall, maybe then the league will get the point.
Old 04-14-2012   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If the NFL heads in that direction, someone will start up another league.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think many injuries occur during KR & PR plus my most reviled penalty "block in the back" happens almost each time and brings me closer to stroking out. I'd be ok with starting at 20 (not 35) after each score. Field goals are not a favorite of mine either. I'd do away with extra point and have it mandatory to go for 2 after TD. I still see punts as ok but seems to reward the offense for not doing well and penalizes good defensive play.
What is wrong with 4 plays and out and the ball remains where it is? Even if the ball changes hands it usually moves the successful team back many yards. Make the offense use the 4th down to play ball rather than "punting".
Old 04-14-2012   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think many injuries occur during KR & PR plus my most reviled penalty "block in the back" happens almost each time and brings me closer to stroking out. I'd be ok with starting at 20 (not 35) after each score. Field goals are not a favorite of mine either. I'd do away with extra point and have it mandatory to go for 2 after TD. I still see punts as ok but seems to reward the offense for not doing well and penalizes good defensive play.
What is wrong with 4 plays and out and the ball remains where it is? Even if the ball changes hands it usually moves the successful team back many yards. Make the offense use the 4th down to play ball rather than "punting".
I would just add a point to a TD.
Old 04-14-2012   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

And some day, there may be no support for having the NFL at all

Some things are inherently unsafe and yet incredibly fun. People continue to do them regardless of the danger. The NFL is in a tough spot here but ultimately the players are paid very well for taking the risks they take.
Old 04-14-2012   #12
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope that article was from The Onion.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Holy cow! This was an idea I have had for quite sometime now!!!!

Whoo hoo!!!

Eliminate the kicker altogether. No extra points, no kickoffs. Just a punter.

Every team has to go for 2 after every TD. Would you rather watch a guy kick a gimmee FG from about 13 yards out, or watch the offense and opposing defense line up for a goal line stand after every TD??? Think about it.

Wouldn't golf be fun to watch if every putt was from 1 foot away from the hole? No, it wouldn't be. And extra point attempts are the most LAME score in all of sports. LAME-O. Get rid of them.

Which means get rid of the kicker altogether. Every possession to start a game, or start the second half, or after a score will be at the 20. Imagine being able to just start watching football instead of waiting for somebody to limp off the field after getting smacked around in a kickoff return.

I have this idea and am glad it might happen. Kicking gimmee extra points is pointless. A waste of time. Games being decided by a last-second field goal, by a guy who doesn't even get his jersey dirty is awful. Get that guy out of there! He can go play arena league or soccer.

It doesn't tarnish the game to end kickoffs, extra points, and kickoff returns. It actually puts it back into the hands of the REAL football players. End of story. I keep the punter, though, because it involves the cat-and-mouse game of field position all game long...not just after a score like a kickoff does.
Old 04-15-2012   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I hope that article was from The Onion.

Indeed, reading this could make a grown man cry.
Old 04-15-2012   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The day they remove kicks is the day I stop watching as much football.

Terrible idea.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #16
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Holy cow! This was an idea I have had for quite sometime now!!!!

Whoo hoo!!!

Eliminate the kicker altogether. No extra points, no kickoffs. Just a punter.

Every team has to go for 2 after every TD. Would you rather watch a guy kick a gimmee FG from about 13 yards out, or watch the offense and opposing defense line up for a goal line stand after every TD??? Think about it.

Wouldn't golf be fun to watch if every putt was from 1 foot away from the hole? No, it wouldn't be. And extra point attempts are the most LAME score in all of sports. LAME-O. Get rid of them.

Which means get rid of the kicker altogether. Every possession to start a game, or start the second half, or after a score will be at the 20. Imagine being able to just start watching football instead of waiting for somebody to limp off the field after getting smacked around in a kickoff return.

I have this idea and am glad it might happen. Kicking gimmee extra points is pointless. A waste of time. Games being decided by a last-second field goal, by a guy who doesn't even get his jersey dirty is awful. Get that guy out of there! He can go play arena league or soccer.

It doesn't tarnish the game to end kickoffs, extra points, and kickoff returns. It actually puts it back into the hands of the REAL football players. End of story. I keep the punter, though, because it involves the cat-and-mouse game of field position all game long...not just after a score like a kickoff does.
Yes, yes it does. One of, if not the most, exciting plays in all of football is a KO return for a TD. Not to mention no KO means no chance of a comeback via an onside kick. I can see your point about XPs but the rest, not seeing it.
Old 04-15-2012   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Yes, yes it does. One of, if not the most, exciting plays in all of football is a KO return for a TD. Not to mention no KO means no chance of a comeback via an onside kick. I can see your point about XPs but the rest, not seeing it.
Agreed with the kick for extra points after TDs. I would love to see that eliminated and the team lines up and trys for two points or nothing.

As to kick offs, I certainly understand the point GP is making, and it's a good one. I'm just not sure I'm ready to see kick offs eliminated though. Kicks after TDs though can be eliminated AND make the game better.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
I don't even like getting rid of extra points. I like the strategy that comes with a team kicking two field goals and scoring a touchdown and having to go for two in order to have 14.

Not sure how getting rid of field goals helps the game either. If a team gets into field goal range they should be able to settle for 3 if they can't get a touchdown.

I think it's an awful idea to get rid of kicks. It changes the game too much for my liking.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #19
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's eliminate the forward pass too. That way we don't have to worry about defenseless receivers.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't even like getting rid of extra points. I like the strategy that comes with a team kicking two field goals and scoring a touchdown and having to go for two in order to have 14.

Not sure how getting rid of field goals helps the game either. If a team gets into field goal range they should be able to settle for 3 if they can't get a touchdown.

I think it's an awful idea to get rid of kicks. It changes the game too much for my liking.
I submit that if we just have to markedly change something for the positive, we make a different bold move. I submit we change the name to FEETBALL, to distinguish the game from European soccer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read