Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-14-2012   #21
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Head Coach Power Rankings Kubiak at #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Lot's of fans love to say this. Where is there one shred of evidence to support it?
A lot of what is claimed as fact is just what has been repeated over and over again on this board. This is just one example.

Critical* thinking is hard to come by.

* Critical meaning "skillfull judgement as to truth and merit", NOT "to find fault".
Old 04-14-2012   #22
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lot's of fans love to say this. Where is there one shred of evidence to support it?
I don't think you will get actual evidence but you know Bob brought Bum in to say some nice things just before he hired his son. Kubiak was close to being strung up for a disappointing season with one of the worst defenses ever to take the field because he promoted his buddy to that dc position. By all appearances it looks like to most fans that Bob had to step in and get a proven dc to help the public swallow him not firing Kubiak. It looked like Bob didn't want to scrap the offense and start completely over because he believed that Kubiak knew what he was doing on that side of the ball.

Now if you think Kubiak stepped out of his comfort zone and reeled in Wade then thats ok to. I just don't buy it.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #23
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Thursday night...pick 26....the Texans take a.....quarterback in the first round!

Immediately TexansTalk implodes as 65% of the members fall out of their chairs grasping at their chests. Most of those that survive the initial shock head straight for their liquor cabinets and consequently can't show up for work on Friday and then get fired. Those that remain alive and with jobs start a new BBS with a memorial to the fallen on the front page.

Sometimes it's truely painfull to be a pro-football fan in Houston.
thats pretty funny im not gonna lie i laughed bc its exactly how i react to our news and thats not just with the texans, its the stros and rockets too when they do stupid trades or cuts etc.. Back to this coach thing.. first off to me 15 is about avg which is about what Kubiak is as a head coach. I COULD CARE LESS what anyone else says but from the decisions he makes on the field hes a horrible head coach, now OC, hes among the best i think and a dam good QB coach but HC is different from all of this. lets take the playoffs for example, Rackers has not hit a 50 yrd and up FG all year and instead of punting and trapping the other team bc your DEF is playing OUT OF THEIR MINDS, you go for a 52 yd FG?!?! now you tell me thats good head coaching? and dont say thats on the special teams coach cuz HC gets final decision. when we played Cinci in regular season final tics on the clock and we were at the goal line 4th and goal and he actually went for it instead of kicking, if he woulda kicked i woulda been so pissed. bc earlier in the game rackers had a i dont remember the distant but it was either a 50 yrd or close to that FG and missed it.. but my point is he just makes a lot of in game decisions or lack there of that just makes me think hes not the right guy for our team..
Old 04-14-2012   #24
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I don't think you will get actual evidence but you know Bob brought Bum in to say some nice things just before he hired his son. Kubiak was close to being strung up for a disappointing season with one of the worst defenses ever to take the field because he promoted his buddy to that dc position. By all appearances it looks like to most fans that Bob had to step in and get a proven dc to help the public swallow him not firing Kubiak. It looked like Bob didn't want to scrap the offense and start completely over because he believed that Kubiak knew what he was doing on that side of the ball.

Now if you think Kubiak stepped out of his comfort zone and reeled in Wade then thats ok to. I just don't buy it.
i think what your saying has a lot of truth to it, thats a long the lines of what i thought too.. BC pa-pa Bob loves his home grown guys and is loyal and thinks avg head coaches get 6 yrs to make the playoffs. he didnt wanna fire Scary Gary bc of it so he brought in a wade phillips (Bum too) bc he knew houston fans would love this and it would take the flack off the fact he didnt fire gary.. so well said bro.. and to your other point.. Im so tired of him bringing in coaches or players from the broncos, this is the frickin Texans lets bring guys that fit OUR team not the broncos..
Old 04-14-2012   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedRock View Post
I COULD CARE LESS what anyone else says but from the decisions he makes on the field hes a horrible head coach, now OC, hes among the best i think and a dam good QB coach but HC is different from all of this. lets take the playoffs for example, Rackers has not hit a 50 yrd and up FG all year and instead of punting and trapping the other team bc your DEF is playing OUT OF THEIR MINDS, you go for a 52 yd FG?!?!
Apparently you could care less about facts either. Rackers is one of three kickers who hold the NFL record for hitting three FG's over 50 yards in ONE game. Last year he hit 4 of 5 50+ yard attempts with a long of 54. The year before he was 3 of 4 with a long of 57.
Old 04-14-2012   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll take a crack at it. I'm game.

I will try and stay as neutral as I can, trying to explain why it appears McNair hired Wade and Kubiak might have merely rubber-stamped it. Here we go:

---------------

Bob said in a recent interview that "Dom Capers tried to hold onto his assistants, tried to give them more chances, and it ended up costing Dom his own job."

Basically, Gary was at the nut-cuttin' stage after 2010. Gary is loyal, as most coaches are. Gary fired Frank Bush rather than keep him and go down with the ship like Dom did previously. (I think this is fair to say, right?).

Around the same time, whether this was before or after Bush being fired I am not sure, we had a situation where Bum Phillips is meeting with Bob McNair. Bum pleads with Bob that Gary is suitable enough to stay and shouldn't be let go. Now, isn't this an attempt to influence Bob to keep Gary and to promote his son, Wade, to Mr. McNair? Because Bum is of the belief that Wade doesn't want to be HC again...that the Texans d-coord job is right up Wade's alley.

To me, it seems there was an external push by people not named Gary Kubiak to obtain Wade Phillips. I think this plays into the theory that Gary was not necessarily the guy who thought of Wade and wanted to hire Wade. The political wheels were turning outside of Kubiak's control.

Sure, it's possible that Kubiak pounced on the chance to get Wade AND that Gary was the one running to Bob and saying, "Can we get this guy? I think he's perfect." Then again, Gary hates change (see: Jacoby Jones). Would Gary want to risk changing to a 34 defense and alienating Mario and other players? Would Gary think the system change in a lockout year would be a gamble he doesn't want to endure IF it failed/backfired on them?

--------------

Neutrality time is over. Now here's my thoughts:

So there's some substantial reasons why people can *critically think that Gary was not the main guy leading the charge for Wade Phillips.

I think the burden of proof, when we look at things such as how Gary sort of poo-poo'd that he could help David Carr (which helped his chances to be HC, no doubt about it), I think the burden of proof ought to rest upon those who think Gary led the way and hired Wade.

I think there's more historical anecdotal evidence, if you will, that says Bob put his finger in the pie on the Wade Phillips hiring. I don't think he forced him onto Gary, but I think he influenced Gary and said "This is a good thing. What do you think, Gary? Rick?" And they all felt OK with it.
Old 04-14-2012   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

What happened to the oh so popular jab that Gary hires from people he knew in Denver? - Wade and Gary coached together in Denver.

I have no doubt McNair played a role in this but I think any supposition Wade was forced on Kubiak is off-base.

I do not doubt McNair may have told Kubiak its either Bush or both of you.
Old 04-15-2012   #28
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What happened to the oh so popular jab that Gary hires from people he knew in Denver? - Wade and Gary coached together in Denver.

I have no doubt McNair played a role in this but I think any supposition Wade was forced on Kubiak is off-base.

I do not doubt McNair may have told Kubiak its either Bush or both of you.
"Forced" is not the word. Strongly suggested is more like it. And we all do what Gary should have done, and probably did, and that's "Do things the way the boss 'suggests' it be done" for the sake of pleasing the boss.

I have done this lots of time. My boss or manager is frustrated, comes to me and says "Why don't we approach this problem from this angle instead?" I roll it around, come up with devil advocate ideas to counter his idea(s) but at the end of the day I know he wants to try it his way. So I do. After all, if it fails then whose fault is it? His. I was just asked to make it happen.

How is it off-base to think that Bob could have said "It's you or Frank...or both of you" but then we cannot take it to its next progression and make the claim that Bob MIGHT have served one up on a tee for Gary? A meat pitch. WHAMMO! Gary hits it out of the park, like he did with Carr. Historicity is on my side.
Old 04-18-2012   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
I think Schaub is back week 1 because we made absolutely no move for Manning. If we thought we wouldn't have Schaub we'd have gone for Manning. He said we are fine with Schaub which to me implies that Schaub will be ready. JMO
If the Texans did not make a move on Peyton, or any other QB so far, all that says is that they are confident Matt will play early in the season & they are confident to go with what they have (i.e. TJ Yates) until Matt is ready... or that they plan on getting a QB later.

Matt Schaub had a broken foot & a serious surgery to repair it. No one, at this time, can say with a high degree of certainty that he will be ready to play week 1.
Old 04-18-2012   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I don't think you will get actual evidence but you know Bob brought Bum in to say some nice things just before he hired his son.
Bum has been a part of the Houston Texans for a long time. Since day one I think. He never followed the Oilers to Tennessee. He's supported the Texans from day one & has been involved with PR for a long time. He's watched games with McNair forever.

For all we know, when Wade was fired in Dallas & Bum saw what was happening to our Defense, he got himself next to Kubiak & Kubiak brought the idea to McNair.

We really don't know.
Quote:
Kubiak was close to being strung up for a disappointing season with one of the worst defenses ever to take the field because he promoted his buddy to that dc position. By all appearances it looks like to most fans that Bob had to step in and get a proven dc to help the public swallow him not firing Kubiak. It looked like Bob didn't want to scrap the offense and start completely over because he believed that Kubiak knew what he was doing on that side of the ball.
A lot of fans would have fired Kubiak after finishing 9-7 & not making the play-offs due to a pitiful game, week 1, vs the Jets being the tie breaker.

But Kubiak is still here. I don't think any of us know the true dynamic between Kubiak & McNair. Judging by where this team is now, compared to where it was & McNair's better understanding of this business (my opinion, pure conjecture) I would lean towards Kubiak having a job for life.

To be clear, I am not saying that is the way it should be, or what I would do. I'm not a Kubiak fan, just saying that's what it seems like to me.

Quote:
Wade Phillips is every bit inside of Kubiak's circle as anyone else he's hired.
Old 04-18-2012   #31
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read