Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-12-2012   #41
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Fans / Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
He will face the same challenge in Buffalo, a much more supportive fanbase that will expect instant results nonetheless.
This part made me chuckle. My in-laws are from Buffalo. My FIL told me last Sunday that he had recently spoken to several of his old buddies, and they are looking at Mario as the second coming of Bruce Smith. He said they will turn on him "in a New York minute" when they realize that they paid for second coming of Bruce Smith and only got Mario Williams instead.

I have never disliked Mario and wished he could have stayed here, so no hard feelings from me. But, all that said, he's not second coming of Bruce Smith and not even Bruce Smith lite.
Old 04-12-2012   #42
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro On Parade View Post
Yes, and I agree with ya on that. But you would choose him over Mario Williams? I'd rather have BJ Raja as the nose tackle than Ngata.
You are crazy!!!! And I like Raji.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #43
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

The article is simply BS... Yes, there were the fan boi, VY jock sniffers and those that that thought that Bush was the next coming of Gale Sayers. That said there were also a lot of fans that liked the Mario pick once it settled in. In fact, after his soph year with the Texans, during the "fan appreciation day", someone yelled "Reggie WHO??"

Mario fell-out laughing and shook that person's hand........
That someone was me!

Now, in retrospect, Mario is a "nice player" and an athletic freak but he's not worth what Buffalo paid for him. I'd rather the Texans be fiscally responsible and not overspend for a "nice player".

Good luck to Mario, but I wish he would've went to the NancyFC!

*EDIT*
BTW, I will boo him when he comes here as the enemy. At the end of the day, it's all about the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

Go TEXANS!
Old 04-12-2012   #44
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
who else was in the "trade back for d'brickashaw" camp with me?
I was there. I figured the Jets would want to grab Bush as a replacement for Curtis Martin.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #45
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
From the linked article:

I don't agree with this. My understanding is VY was never an option -- top-down organizational decision, all agreed. Mr. Smith took Bush off the table when he learned of the NCAA violations re: Bush's family. So there was no "choice" per se, Mario was the only option. So Casserly isn't the "hero" he paints himself as.
I've heard different versions of the story, but not the one about Smith eliminating the Reggie Bush option. I (unfortunately) read John McClain's anecdote about Casserly deciding at the last minute to take Mario. The story that I've always believed was that it was Kubiak's choice, and he stayed silent while Casserly was credited.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #46
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241555 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I've heard different versions of the story, but not the one about Smith eliminating the Reggie Bush option. I (unfortunately) read John McClain's anecdote about Casserly deciding at the last minute to take Mario. The story that I've always believed was that it was Kubiak's choice, and he stayed silent while Casserly was credited.
My bad, I don't know why I had Smith in there. Mr. McNair took Bush off the table. Fixed it above.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #47
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

That article is spot on!! JMO!! Some of you guys have very short memories!

Think I will leave it at that!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2012   #48
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 18555 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post

NOT spot on. The article misleads readers to believe that Mario had nobody in his corner when he came to Houston.

My short memory has a picture of the 1. VY loyalists not a fan of the pic.. understandable for Homers who don't get their guy. 2. Bush backers not a fan of the pic, in lieu of being justifiably enamored by the high-light reel laden phenom that was obviously the consensus sexy pic in the draft. But even so, there were a bunch of Texans loyals who bought into the need to "at all costs" deal with Peyton Manning, and at the same time put some insurgence into what was a pretty pathetic pass rush, thus accepting the Mario-"who" pick. IMHO, it was by the grace of his freakish combine stats that most of those who were in Mario's corner rushed out to buy a #90 jersey and hope he lived up to the potential he was drafted for. We WERE hoping for the next Bruce Smith(since his name was already brought up on this thread). Fair to Mario... maybe not, but he was definitely compensated for the un-fairness. The thing that sucks is despite his blockbuster signing and record setting rookie contract, he earned it mostly off potential, rather than merit. To make it worse, he was tendered another huge contract which again was earned more by potential than merit. But to suggest he didn't have a fan base in Houston, which I believe this article tries to do IS FALSE.

I won't say I was ever his "biggest" fan, but I was a big fan... for a few years, until I realized I was tired of holding out for him to play up to the potential that I felt sold on. That he never did, in hindsight, is more a reflection on Casserly & Co. than for Mario. Mario, is quite lucky, IMHO. Moving on to Buffalo, he kind of starts the cycle all over and will have a long and wealthy career built off some mis-guided belief in his potential. IF HE EVER LIVES UP TO IT, I will be happy for him.

At worst, this article falsely depicts the Houston Fans as un-supportive of him from day 1 and furthers his legacy as a potential Hall of Famer, and setting up Buffalo fans for a bit of a let down. Buffalo sure isn't on the fence. They have no dreams of VY or Bush here.. They simply are ecstatic to be getting the same potential we drafted him as. Buyer Beware.
Old 04-13-2012   #49
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Texans Fans / Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
but yeah, one of the most disappointing & angering moments for me as a texans fan was watching all the jackasses on TV in reliant stadium cheering for a rival player as he scrambled for a game winning TD against us.
I had to skip the game due to law school exams. My wife was still a cheerleader at the time. She said she was enraged and it was hard to fake a smile on the sideline.

She also said they got stuff thrown at them towards the end of the game.

so I would say HOUSTON was not against Mario, national/local media and dopey fake fans were against him.

Sure, folks might have said 'I wish we had drafted so and so' with legit reasons. But the majority of the Houston fanbase was not 'against' Mario, IMHO.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #50
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
At worst, this article falsely depicts the Houston Fans as un-supportive of him from day 1 and furthers his legacy as a potential Hall of Famer, and setting up Buffalo fans for a bit of a let down. Buffalo sure isn't on the fence. They have no dreams of VY or Bush here.. They simply are ecstatic to be getting the same potential we drafted him as. Buyer Beware.
Well said.

And if he blossoms into a HOF player there, well, he sure wasn't doing it here.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 04-13-2012   #51
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110699 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, there's no reason for a personal attack on........I forgot what I was.....nevermind.

Old 04-13-2012   #52
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
so I would say HOUSTON was not against Mario, national/local media and dopey fake fans were against him
Yank, where do you think "dopey fake fans" come from? Our fans were brutal, and still are. When they stood up for VY at that game, screaming his name, wearing his jersey, acting like FOOLS over a flippin football player that was playing FOR THE ENEMY, I wanted to vomit! In my 50+ years of being a diehard football fan I've never seen anything like that, and hope to never see it again! How do you think Mario, and the rest of the team felt that day watching THEIR fans turn against them. I was there! I watched half the BULLPEN go ape**** over VY running that TD, as well as security guards pushing Texan fans back so Titan fans could get close to the rail. I was bound and determined to stand my ground and NOT ALLOW a Titan fan past me, and was told by PAUL to move aside and leave them alone, OR ELSE HE WOULD HAVE ME EJECTED FROM THE GAME!! Yea, fond memories of TEXAN fans that day!! If I felt so abused, as a fan, I just wonder how our players felt that day, esp Mario!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #53
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario may not have lived up to his status as the number 1 pick in the draft, but he was still a damn good DE. He had to be double teamed or else he was in their backfield. And he was a damn good run stopper.

It's to bad he left, but he would have cost more than he was worth here considering we have good replacements for him. I was one of those that wanted VY, but had no problem selecting a good DE for such a horrible defense like we had at the time.

But he's gone, like a lot of other players we admire now that will be playing for other teams before their careers are over with.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #54
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

If not for my Mario Sucks threads, he would've never got the fat payday he got.

He was good while here, he went and got paid. He no longer wears a Toro but a Buffalo on his helmet and, to me, that puts his replica jersey in the trash can.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #55
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Yank, where do you think "dopey fake fans" come from? Our fans were brutal, and still are. When they stood up for VY at that game, screaming his name, wearing his jersey, acting like FOOLS over a flippin football player that was playing FOR THE ENEMY, I wanted to vomit! In my 50+ years of being a diehard football fan I've never seen anything like that, and hope to never see it again! How do you think Mario, and the rest of the team felt that day watching THEIR fans turn against them. I was there! I watched half the BULLPEN go ape**** over VY running that TD, as well as security guards pushing Texan fans back so Titan fans could get close to the rail. I was bound and determined to stand my ground and NOT ALLOW a Titan fan past me, and was told by PAUL to move aside and leave them alone, OR ELSE HE WOULD HAVE ME EJECTED FROM THE GAME!! Yea, fond memories of TEXAN fans that day!! If I felt so abused, as a fan, I just wonder how our players felt that day, esp Mario!
I would posit that the people you describe are not really Texans fans. A LOT of people sold their tickets for that game to VY fans and Texas fans who could give two sh%ts about the Texans (but may have jumped on the bandwagon since then).

If anyone you actually know was cheering, well, I hope you called them out.

Remember, it was near the end of a 6-10 season, the stands were mostly empty and tickets were readily available.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 04-13-2012   #56
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241555 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Mario may not have lived up to his status as the number 1 pick in the draft, but he was still a damn good DE. He had to be double teamed or else he was in their backfield. And he was a damn good run stopper.
Agree on everything except the "might not have lived up to" part. I don't see anyone taken in the first round I'd trade for, except maybe Cutler and that's projecting him to be much better under Kubiak's tutelage. (EDIT:Missed Ngata)
Old 04-13-2012   #57
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
ST is right in a lot of respects, but there was also a national media consensus that the Texans blew that pick big time. They were laughing at us for a while there.
Old 04-13-2012   #58
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
ST is right in a lot of respects, but there was also a national media consensus that the Texans blew that pick big time. They were laughing at us for a while there.
I remember that POS Len Pasquarelli saying it was a "Texas Sized blunder". **** him and **** the media in 2006. We still won that ****.

For me though, it was (VY = out of question and closer to draft) :

1. Bush
2. Ferguson
3. Mario
4. Trade

I didn't see MW play in college, but saw highlight videos. After those, I was Bush, Mario, Ferguson, trade. Knew trade was unlikely because no one wanted it. I was stunned when we did the deal for Mario (more so because I trash talked everyone about how Bush would carve their defenses up ), but I was cool with it.
Old 04-14-2012   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Remember, it was near the end of a 6-10 season, the stands were mostly empty and tickets were readily available.
I am going to respectfully agree and disagree. Yes I believe in bad seasons tickets have been sold or given away to either opposing fans or less enthusiastic fans. In not having missed any Texan game yet I don't think any game hasn't had a peak attendance of about 70%. Yeah plenty of games where people have showed up late and/or left early but really I think the Texans have had excellent attendance. Under Capers they had the it is a young team loyalty thing going. Under Kubiak they have the we could score at any moment thing going. Or make up whatever interests you, people have attended the games not just bought the tickets although certainly attendance could be higher.

Personally I blame actual attendence on corporate ownership of seats. Over the past fifteen years I have frequently been assigned to find homes for corporate seats (not my own because they are damn well getting used) for both the Astros (like 9 rows up directly behind home plate), Rockets (court side) or Texans and had a hard time finding takers. And then to my great disappointment I would find out the people didn't even use them. Well f#$k if I had known that I would have given them to a buddy who was motivated enough to use them. I'd much rather get a ticket to a friend than some non-caring corporate employee who doesn't even give a rat's butt.
Old 04-14-2012   #60
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
BTW,

Would everybody agree that Ngata was the best player in the 2006 draft?

How Casserly has a job as a NFL expert continues to amaze me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro On Parade View Post
Really? You'd pick him over Mario?
In a heartbeat .... Ngata < MW.

BTW Toro on Parade , your sig doesnt meet the forum guidelines found here

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read