Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-12-2012   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Fans / Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
who else was in the "trade back for d'brickashaw" camp with me?
I was in this group

It was time to fix the OL. After yrs of neglect by Charles in Charge. CC
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #22
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
BTW,

Would everybody agree that Ngata was the best player in the 2006 draft?

How Casserly has a job as a NFL expert continues to amaze me.
easily. a (very) small argument can be made that playing on the ravens has freed him up, but i cant think of a more overwhelming 3-4 lineman in the past decade (or two).

i will forever say, however, that charles spencer may have been one of the all time greats. he was incredible even raw, and had an infinite ceiling with that movement and insane "punch".
Old 04-12-2012   #23
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i was lobbying to take him first overall.
Old 04-12-2012   #24
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

How Casserly has a job as a NFL expert continues to amaze me.
In the 2002 Expansion Draft there were 155 eligible players on the list from which the Texans could build a team. There were 25 Pro Bowlers on that list. This is what we got:

Tony Boselli Offensive Tackle
Ryan Young Offensive Tackle
Aaron Glenn Cornerback
Gary Walker Defensive Tackle
Jamie Sharper Linebacker
Jermaine Lewis Wide Receiver
Marcus Coleman Cornerback
Seth Payne Defensive Tackle
Matt Campbell Offensive Guard
Matt Stevens Safety
Jeremy McKinney Offensive Guard
Ryan Schau Offensive Tackle
Charlie Rogers Kick Returner
Sean McDermott Tight End
Jabari Issa Defensive End
Avion Black Wide Receiver
Danny Wuerffel Quarterback
Brian Allen Linebacker
Johnny Huggins Tight End

And then he added the piece d'resistance with his first ever draft pick for the Houston Texans - David Carr.

"Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? Wherever he's been, whatever he's done, his percentage is like a meteorologist...He has no relationship with this team, I'd say less than zero. He's never here, I don't know if he's ever been to a game. He's never been to a practice...at least he put his name on it and I'll put my name on it and say, like he usually is, he's 100-percent wrong." - Bill Belichick
Old 04-12-2012   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Look, it's on tape as far as how we thought of Mario. All they have to do is go put on our 2006 season when we played the Dolphins in week 4 and he got his first sack. The MAR-I-O, Mar-I-O chants were off the chain! That says it all.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #26
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

That's a crock.

Mario was NOT personally ridiculed. The PICK was ridiculed on a national level...for years.

Houston fans by and large supported the guy. Too bad we didn't name a pizza after him when he was drafted or he might have stayed...
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
In the 2002 Expansion Draft there were 155 eligible players on the list from which the Texans could build a team. There were 25 Pro Bowlers on that list. This is what we got:

Tony Boselli Offensive Tackle
Ryan Young Offensive Tackle
Aaron Glenn Cornerback
Gary Walker Defensive Tackle
Jamie Sharper Linebacker
Jermaine Lewis Wide Receiver
Marcus Coleman Cornerback
Seth Payne Defensive Tackle
Matt Campbell Offensive Guard
Matt Stevens Safety
Jeremy McKinney Offensive Guard
Ryan Schau Offensive Tackle
Charlie Rogers Kick Returner
Sean McDermott Tight End
Jabari Issa Defensive End
Avion Black Wide Receiver
Danny Wuerffel Quarterback
Brian Allen Linebacker
Johnny Huggins Tight End

And then he added the piece d'resistance with his first ever draft pick for the Houston Texans - David Carr.

"Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? Wherever he's been, whatever he's done, his percentage is like a meteorologist...He has no relationship with this team, I'd say less than zero. He's never here, I don't know if he's ever been to a game. He's never been to a practice...at least he put his name on it and I'll put my name on it and say, like he usually is, he's 100-percent wrong." - Bill Belichick
Looking back at that list makes me wonder how Casserly got the job in the 1st place. After a yr of study hecame up with that list of players. LOL

I've never seen that quote from Belichick before. But it's spot on.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2012   #28
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Sounds like Casserly was the writer's only source for perspective. It reminds me of how the worst leaders in history blame the people for failure rather than themselves. Casserly even feigns a little bit of martyrdom by offering to bear Mario's cross for him. Nice.

The more Casserly talks, the more he proves Belichik right.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you fill me in?

Never mind, I missed it here:

Quote:

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 04-12-2012 at 03:03 PM.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #29
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you fill me in?
Belichick: "Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly...?"

Link
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #30
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there a link to the whole story or did I miss it?
Old 04-12-2012   #31
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Texans Fans / Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
My personal memory was almost instantaneously it was us (Texan fans, Texans, Mario) against them. The general feeling was, "screw 'em, they'll learn."

Maybe that is inaccurate or maybe that's just the way I felt since I really disliked Reggie and Vince, but that's how I remember it.
....except for the Texans 'fans' who still thing VY should be our starter (as in, pick up VY and start him 2012).

The same dopes that bought #10 Titans jerseys but had never watched a Titan game in their lives....
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #32
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Texans Fans / Mario Williams

Quote:

Link
Bwahahahaha, awesome.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #33
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Spilt milk permeates this thread.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #34
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108923 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
....except for the Texans 'fans' who still thing VY should be our starter (as in, pick up VY and start him 2012).

The same dopes that bought #10 Titans jerseys but had never watched a Titan game in their lives....
I deal with this all the time in Austin. I can't believe it still goes on.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #35
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro On Parade View Post
HAHAHA You are 100% correct. We had every right to criticize him. In the preseason and first few games he was terrible. At the time we didn't know Vince Young and Reggie Bush were going to be bust's and we were shocked at the decision of picking Mario(it turned out perfect but still when that big of a shock happens the fans have a right to have doubts)
No fan should criticize a player based on his draft position or based on who they arbitrarily believe should have been picked instead. These things are the front office's decision, not the young man who was picked.

Because a player doesn't live up to expectations isn't his fault, it's the expectations that are to blame. Besides, sure turns out that the fan's "rightful" criticism was unfounded, doesn't it?

Criticize a player for playing poorly. If a player plays poorly, boo him. Criticize him. But don't criticize based on things out of his control.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #36
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was a D'Brickawall 1a Mario 1b guy. Happy either way.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #37
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

this....folks in here talking like everything was kumbaya when we picked mario are lying to themselves. It was at best a 60-40 proposition for at least his 1st 2 years here before many started to embrace him....& even then it was only b/c the other 2 were starting to fail & it was starting to look like we'd made the right call in the end.

but yeah, one of the most disappointing & angering moments for me as a texans fan was watching all the jackasses on TV in reliant stadium cheering for a rival player as he scrambled for a game winning TD against us.

The reaction the board had once he officially left says it all right there. Those wanting the guy back were definitely in the minority and in the end most were just "eh'" about him either way. Dude was always on the outside looking in houston....even if some fans weren't willing to admit it. So yeah, there's some level of truth to what the writer is saying, but it is overplayed a little.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #38
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i was lobbying to take him first overall.
Thats where that hindsight is 20 20 comes to mind, but all sorts of players could have went number 1 looking at them now. Vernon Davis is a beast best TE in the game or arguably, MJD top 3 RB.. but yeah D.Brick woulda been the safe pick at #1.. all that being said, at the time, these guys in college, VY was the best player. single handily beat USC in the national title and obviously we needed a QB at the time.. and i admit the pick blew my mind but Mario did outplay those guys looking at it now it was the better pick. But to say he was mistreated and booed etc, thats BS, once fans got over the sexy pick and realized that 20 yr old kid could play we all accepted him.. but i still feel he has never played up to his potential and that is simply bc he doesnt have the heart for the game as much as his former team mate Brian Cushing AKA chuck norris

When Cushing hits an opposing QB, his whole family feels it
Old 04-12-2012   #39
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Link
From the linked article:
Quote:
Ouch. Well, at least Casserly got the Mario Williams pick right.
I don't agree with this. My understanding is VY was never an option -- top-down organizational decision, all agreed. Mr. McNair took Bush off the table when he learned of the NCAA violations re: Bush's family. So there was no "choice" per se, Mario was the only option. So Casserly isn't the "hero" he paints himself as.

Last edited by Playoffs; 04-13-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Fixed
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #40
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Hyperbole much??

Article!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read