Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-11-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Fans / Mario Williams

I placed this article in this section because of the comparison references to this city.

Somehow, I find the light in which Houston is presented somewhat mischaracterized and distasteful. Yes, there was controversy over the choice of picks. But, initially, there were as many supporters as there were distractors. And, even so, soon thereafter, most of us were willing to give Mario the benefit of the doubt while the "trial" period proceeded.

It may just be me, but this article somehow rubbed me the wrong way.

Quote:
Mario Williams doesn't feel pressure despite big deal
By Dan Hanzus NFL.com
Writer
Published: April 11, 2012 at 10:33 a.m.
Updated: April 11, 2012 at 10:42 a.m.

You think Mario Williams is feeling pressure after signing a deal with the Buffalo Bills to become the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history? Think again.

Williams knows pressure. He knew it 2006 when he was a 20-year-old kid coming out North Carolina State, drafted by a Houston Texans team with a fanbase furious the team chose Williams over both the hometown hero (Vince Young) and "the next Gale Sayers" (Reggie Bush).

Williams faced a nearly impossible challenge there, and obviously came out just fine. Everything else is a cake walk for the two-time Pro Bowler.

"I know what this city wants and needs and that’s fine with me," Williams said of Buffalo, according to the Bills' official site. "That’s not pressure. I play football. That’s what I do. My main goal is to play football that helps us win. This city also embraced me.”

Williams hasn't forgotten how difficult it was to play in a city that wasn't behind him. Neither has Charley Casserly, the NFL Network analyst who drafted Williams during his run as general manager with the Texans.

“In Houston the poor young man was booed,” Casserly said. “He was ridiculed. There was a lot criticism of myself, and I purposely tried to put as much on me and take it off of him because at 20 years old and just being drafted this wasn’t his fault. From there everybody was against the kid.”

Williams got off to a slow start with the Texans, leading many to prematurely label him as a bust. He will face the same challenge in Buffalo, a much more supportive fanbase that will expect instant results nonetheless.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Fans / Mario Williams

That has got to be some of the biggest crap I've ever heard. Talk about sour grapes still on Casserly's part, because he did a horrible job here.

Mario was treated damn good here. He was overrated for one, and he was paid big time. Who cares if he would have been boooed or not welcomed right away when he was making around 50 MIllion guaranteed at the time. That's an easy trade off. Casserly needs to shut his pie hole, because he set this franchise back several years from his failures.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #3
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

He was worshipped here from 2007-2011 where he only had two 10+ sack seasons. Cry me a river.
Old 04-11-2012   #4
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like Casserly was the writer's only source for perspective. It reminds me of how the worst leaders in history blame the people for failure rather than themselves. Casserly even feigns a little bit of martyrdom by offering to bear Mario's cross for him. Nice.

The more Casserly talks, the more he proves Belichik right.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

He was booed when picked, yes. Dumb fans.

But his stay in Houston can't be characterized like that.

One thing: I can't think of anyone who has had to endure the same questions about draft day so many years into their career.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody BUT the media is to blame, Charles Casserly.

YOU guys (now that you're part of the media) do this crap to players, fans don't. Every fan embraces its players, most especially the high draft choices.

WE have pride in our guys, you media types--ESPN being the biggest of all--are the ones who drag guys like Mario Williams through the mud. For your own ratings.

Someone needs to Jalen Rose that a-hole Casserly.
Old 04-11-2012   #7
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 27348 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2012   #8
Toro On Parade
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Toro On Parade is on the Pro-Bowl ballotToro On Parade is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

We simply couldn't afford him. I wish him luck but honestly it was a smart move to release him rather than having a salary cap crisis for the next few years especially since we have great players backing him up
Old 04-11-2012   #9
Toro On Parade
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Toro On Parade is on the Pro-Bowl ballotToro On Parade is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
That has got to be some of the biggest crap I've ever heard. Talk about sour grapes still on Casserly's part, because he did a horrible job here.

Mario was treated damn good here. He was overrated for one, and he was paid big time. Who cares if he would have been boooed or not welcomed right away when he was making around 50 MIllion guaranteed at the time. That's an easy trade off. Casserly needs to shut his pie hole, because he set this franchise back several years from his failures.
HAHAHA You are 100% correct. We had every right to criticize him. In the preseason and first few games he was terrible. At the time we didn't know Vince Young and Reggie Bush were going to be bust's and we were shocked at the decision of picking Mario(it turned out perfect but still when that big of a shock happens the fans have a right to have doubts)
Old 04-11-2012   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW,

Would everybody agree that Ngata was the best player in the 2006 draft?

How Casserly has a job as a NFL expert continues to amaze me.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #11
Toro On Parade
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
BTW,

Would everybody agree that Ngata was the best player in the 2006 draft?

How Casserly has a job as a NFL expert continues to amaze me.
Really? You'd pick him over Mario?
Old 04-11-2012   #12
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 27348 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro On Parade View Post
Really? You'd pick him over Mario?
ngata is a beast.
Old 04-11-2012   #13
Toro On Parade
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
ngata is a beast.
Yes, and I agree with ya on that. But you would choose him over Mario Williams? I'd rather have BJ Raja as the nose tackle than Ngata.
Old 04-11-2012   #14
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 557 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think the whole "fans treated Mario poorly" is over stated. Yeah he was booed in the beginning, but once he started performing the fans got off his back. I wish him well, we just simply could not afford him.
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #15
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Quote:
Yes, and I agree with ya on that. But you would choose him over Mario Williams? I'd rather have BJ Raja as the nose tackle than Ngata.
what has mario done in the last 3 years that would make you take him over ngata? ngata isn't just a regular NT. you can do so much with him other than just plug the gaps.
Old 04-11-2012   #16
Toro On Parade
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
what has mario done in the last 3 years that would make you take him over ngata? ngata isn't just a regular NT. you can do so much with him other than just plug the gaps.
Career stats:

Ngata:
Solo Tackles:206 Sacks: 17.0

Mario Williams:
Solo Tackles:192 Sacks: 53

That's what
Old 04-11-2012   #17
Toro On Parade
Rookie

I didn't see that you put "past three years" my bad. But career wise I'll go with Mario's Sacks
Old 04-11-2012   #18
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Quote:
Career stats:

Ngata:
Solo Tackles:206 Sacks: 17.0

Mario Williams:
Solo Tackles:192 Sacks: 53

That's what
lol saw it coming all the way.

Old 04-11-2012   #19
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

My personal memory was almost instantaneously it was us (Texan fans, Texans, Mario) against them. The general feeling was, "screw 'em, they'll learn."

Maybe that is inaccurate or maybe that's just the way I felt since I really disliked Reggie and Vince, but that's how I remember it.
Old 04-11-2012   #20
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

who else was in the "trade back for d'brickashaw" camp with me?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read