Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-10-2012   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How will Winston's loss affect this season's on-field play

What is the net effect of Winston's loss? Is it probable that run blocking is worse? Is it probable that pass protection is better? Is the net effect a push, positive, or negative?

I'd like to discuss such things in terms of the team's on field performance this season. Believe it or not, I understand the financial considerations of the cap drove the move. As I said, I'd like to talk about the team the Texans field next year, but we will see where this thread goes.
Old 04-10-2012   #2
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan
Default Re: How will Winston's loss affect this season's on-field play

I'll go with a positive, as I'm eternally optimistic about my team at this point of the year, check back with me in December... preferably before the 21st, as we'll all be dead after that
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't form a clear picture of the offense in my mind right now. The injuries to Schaub and Dre are very worrisome. Even if Schaub comes back healthy, I can't convince myself we will see the Andre Johnson of old this season. He was injured twice last year running in a straight line and untouched. Add that to the rather experimental surgery he had for his first injury and the passing game may not be there.

In that case, this team may be required to rely on the run even more. If they do, Winston's loss will hurt more.

On the other hand, a less than 100% or missing Schaub would seem to imply that pass protection is more important next year; I think they need to shore up the receiving for that to be true.
Old 04-10-2012   #4
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

You will see a lot less holding calls... That is what I know for sure!
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Butler will be capable in replacing Winston. Possibly better in pass protection.

I am more concerned about getting good guard play right now.Can Wade Smith recover from a mediocre year? Is Caldwell capable of stepping up his game with more reps?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, the Texans rushed to the right side heavily this year, more so than almost ever other team did (NYG tied, GB 40%). I don't think that was an accident, but rather by design because they got great push from Winston. He was a great runblocking RT, and the Texans used that to their advantage.

I think we will see a step back in our run production this year due to the downgrade on the right side, but it will likely be overtaken by increased passing. Last year we ran it a lot more than usual by about 100 more carries total.

Stats from FBO if anyone wants to look at it:

Total runs: 26% left, 41% mid, 33% right

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
You will see a lot less holding calls... That is what I know for sure!
He had 5 holding calls last year, which was a lot for him as he only had 4 in the previous 5 years combined. Ryan Clady had 9 last year, should the Broncos cut him?
Old 04-10-2012   #7
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Well, the Texans rushed to the right side heavily this year, more so than almost ever other team did (NYG tied, GB 40%). I don't think that was an accident, but rather by design because they got great push from Winston. He was a great runblocking RT, and the Texans used that to their advantage.

I think we will see a step back in our run production this year due to the downgrade on the right side, but it will likely be overtaken by increased passing. Last year we ran it a lot more than usual by about 100 more carries total.

Stats from FBO if anyone wants to look at it:

Total runs: 26% left, 41% mid, 33% right

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

He had 5 holding calls last year, which was a lot for him as he only had 4 in the previous 5 years combined. Ryan Clady had 9 last year, should the Broncos cut him?
Am I in the minority thinking that our O-line will still be tops. Butler has impressed me when he played LT for Duane Brown and seeing his workout videos and working as hard as he can to be a great player. As for Caldwell he started all of 2010 Foster's best year so no worries for me there.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I can't form a clear picture of the offense in my mind right now. The injuries to Schaub and Dre are very worrisome. Even if Schaub comes back healthy, I can't convince myself we will see the Andre Johnson of old this season.
Re Schaub: I have no idea what to expect there and I hope the team is either a) confident TJ Yates can play at a satisfactory or high level is Schaub can't -or- b) plan on finding a QB that can via the draft or -or- c) confident Schaub will return and be able to play at a functional level.

I really don't know what to expect there and I agree it's fuzzy right now.

Re Dre: I am more convinced that we need to take a WR early. You are 100% right. Dre needs some legit help and someone that can potentially be the #1 if he goes down.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #9
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was a joke. It just seemed like every time there was a holding call it always panned the camera straight to Eric Winston haha
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

He should have had two more. Once when Schaub got killed by his man and the other when Yates was planted against the Falcons.
Old 04-10-2012   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a little concerned about the right side of our O-line. I think they'll start off the year a little rusty but by game 5 they'll be doing just fine. I think Butler will be better than Winston in pass blocking, but will be slightly weaker in run blocking. Again I expect Butler to be playing great by game 5 of the season. Caldwell looked bad last year when he sub'd for Brisiel but he was playing injured (ankle) at the time, I expect Caldwell to be just fine this year. I would like to see an OT taken in round 2, 3, or 4 of this years draft though as I'm not convinced that Newton will be anything more than a roster filler at this point.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

I think by this time next year we will look back and wonder what the fuss was about.
Old 04-10-2012   #13
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I'll go with a positive, as I'm eternally optimistic about my team at this point of the year, check back with me in December... preferably before the 21st, as we'll all be dead after that
I thunk that was the 12th? Or is my calender FUBAR'D?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
He should have had two more. Once when Schaub got killed by his man and the other when Yates was planted against the Falcons.
According to modern NFL lore holding is committed on every play.
Old 04-10-2012   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'm a little concerned about the right side of our O-line. I think they'll start off the year a little rusty but by game 5 they'll be doing just fine. I think Butler will be better than Winston in pass blocking, but will be slightly weaker in run blocking. Again I expect Butler to be playing great by game 5 of the season. Caldwell looked bad last year when he sub'd for Brisiel but he was playing injured (ankle) at the time, I expect Caldwell to be just fine this year. I would like to see an OT taken in round 2, 3, or 4 of this years draft though as I'm not convinced that Newton will be anything more than a roster filler at this point.
Not just ONE high ankle sprain. He actually developed a high ankle sprain in the opposite ankle........and still played out the latter part of the season.......although, he would have more appropriately qualified for ADA status.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

run blocking might take a litte dip on the right side since butler prob cant run has fast has winston

pass protection might be slighty better since i like butler on that better then winston at that

bottom line from what i see i not to worried about our right side of the line i think butler and one of the 5 guards we have now on the roster in terms of depth whoever wins the TC battle will fill in nicely
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

For those nostalgic about Winston, I came across this piece about his play specifically in last year's Steeler's game.............and another one on the Raiders game.

A similar isolation pieces on Briesel is presented here and here

You can actually find more pieces on Briesel and Winston on this site if you follow the link prompts at the top.

Be sure to watch the corresponding videos. It is great the way the videographer isolated him on each play making it easy to follow the particular action of interest. It would be neat to have some of our talented MB be able to present some videos this year using a similar format approach.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #18
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

after play 7 ive seen enough winston Gets beat to much ............... LOL

on one play he gets pushed back like 7 yards like nothing LOL causing the run play to be blown up
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Pass pro will be more consistent, meaning the passing game will be more productive...which means the run game will work better because boots and other play-action stuff will be an easier thing for us to run on defenses.

We don't have ALL the film on every game. The Texans do. For all we know, they sat down and watched the film and felt like Winston was beyond bad...he might have been downright atrocious in their eyes. Not sure, but it's possible that the film they have was so disgusting to them...that they cut him rather than even try to keep him. Face it: He was ensconced in Houston as a quasi-celebrity on the radio...you don't want that guy, on our team, if he is getting his ass ridden every day about how he has to get better "or else!" A guy like that is a loose cannon if he thinks he's on the outs. The overall consensus could have been to just get him gone and move on. I dunno, I'm just sayin'....

The main point is that I think Texans coaches felt he was a liability in many ways, plus he was making too much money. So that means they think they have one or two guys already on the roster (Caldwell and S. Smith???) and they can maybe get a guy or two in the draft to solidify the right side of the line. Next man up, and all that jazz.

In summation:

1. Pass pro was lacking, Winston was sent packing.

2. Pass pro will be awesome, which means the run game will blossom.

3. Next man up, make me a Crown and 7-Up.
Old 04-10-2012   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I know I re-hashed talking points from the other thread....

I just want it known--in THIS thread--that my opinion in this thread is that the run game works best if the pass game is consistently good. And the pass game cannot be consistently good unless pass pro is consistently good.

We are bleeding QBs here. They are dropping like flies. We STILL only have TJ Yates as of right now, and I think Kubiak's idea is that he's rolling the dice on Yates first and foremost...and that means he wants his o-line better at pass pro to compensate for the thin line being held at the QB position.

QB is THE biggest need, due to substantive injury to Schaub and the release of Leinart. I don't think we can afford a veteran deal for Delhomme again, either. So that means Kubiak is scouting college QBs like a mad man.

Y'all gonna crap your pants if he picks Kennum at #26. People be all like "OMG!" and stuff. Wouldn't THAT be bizarre! Uh huh. It would. But hey, Kubiak is letting his hair down...I wouldn't put it past him. I think he's legitimately scared of what 2012 might hold if pass pro doesn't get better and/or more QB injuries happen. TJ is it. Nobody behind him but Lisfranc Schaub.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read