Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2005   #1
Betro
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Betro
Default Texans sign tackle Victor Riley

I just saw on ESPN that the Texans signed tackle Victor Riley to a 1 year deal. I'm going to look for a link.
Betro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #2
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans | Riley Signed - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 11 May 2005 15:37:04 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Houston Texans have signed free agent OT Victor Riley (Saints) to a one-year contract. Complete financial details were not available, but it is believed Riley can earn about $1 million if he plays regularly. Riley will be given the opportunity to win the starting left tackle job with the Texans.
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #3
Betro
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Betro

Thank you! He played Right Tackle for the Saints. Does anybody know if he has ever played LT?

Last edited by Betro; 05-11-2005 at 06:00 PM.
Betro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Hmmm...interesting. Anyone got any info in reguards to his playing ability?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like he is the 2005 version of Marcus Spears (Spears replacement), also he's really large @ 6'5 340. Looks like he started 15 games last year. I haven't paid much attention to him myself.

GAMES PLAYED
Year Team G GS
1998 Kansas City Chiefs 16 15
1999 Kansas City Chiefs 16 16
2000 Kansas City Chiefs 16 16
2001 Kansas City Chiefs 7 5
2002 New Orleans Saints 14 2
2003 New Orleans Saints 16 16
2004 New Orleans Saints 16 15
TOTAL 101 85

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12651

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #6
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Who is this guy? Any good, anyone know anything about him?
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #7
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

from what i've seen he was one of the better OT's in the game about five years ago...he is aging...but what he brings is a quality depth guy who can challenge wand for the starting LT job...i do not see him winning that job though...it's good to see the texans bring him in...he was the highest rated RT left on the free agent market...he's played in the league for a long time...he knows how to play the position really well...what i'm glad to see is that we are bringing in these veteran tackles that can help mentor our young o-lineman...guys like marcus spears, and victor riley are highly respected around the league because they are team players...they work hard and they know what it takes to make it in the league for a long time...i think seth wand would be wise to learn all he can from riley
Old 05-11-2005   #8
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

From his NewOrleansSaints.Com profile...

Quote:
Entering his third year in New Orleans, Riley is established as a key member of the club's offensive front. The seventh-year veteran started all 16 games at right tackle in 2003, contributing to the offense with his superb drive blocking. Riley was a starter from 1998-2001 for the Kansas City Chiefs. Started two games and appeared in 14 contests in 2002, contributing to the Saints offense with his superb drive blocking while also seeing extended action on special teams. He was initially tabbed to work at left tackle for Kansas City when Riley was drafted in 1998, but was thrust into the starting lineup at right tackle in just his second NFL contest. He quickly proved he could perform at a high level and proceeded to start the Chiefs' final 15 games at right tackle. He did not leave the opening lineup until suffering a broken leg five games into the 2001 season.
Seems to me that he'll be a back-up that will provide decent insurance if Wand or Wade were to go down...I'm not sure of his pass blocking ability, but it looks like he's a good run blocker...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44115 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

1998 1st rd pick of the Kansas City with the 27th overall selection out of Auburn. never panned out, has moved around the league and suffered a major leg break in 01 I believe?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #10
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

I know he was good enough for the Saints to draft Jamaal Brown.
Old 05-11-2005   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ex-Chief Riley pleads guilty to assault charge

The Kansas City Star

Former Chiefs tackle Victor Riley pleaded guilty Friday to assaulting his wife during a 2001 domestic disturbance.

Riley, who played last season for the New Orleans Saints, had reached a diversion agreement with Johnson County prosecutors after the 2001 incident in Overland Park.

But he was charged last November with driving while intoxicated, and Johnson County prosecutors moved to revoke the diversion agreement.

Riley appeared in court Friday with his attorney, Kevin Regan, and agreed that he had violated the conditions of diversion.

He pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated assault for ramming his car into another car occupied by his wife and infant daughter.

District Judge Pro-tem Frank Gilman accepted the plea and found Riley guilty of the felony charge. Gilman scheduled sentencing for July 3.

Riley, 28, will receive probation under terms of the plea agreement, but he will be required to serve two weeks of shock time in jail.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...fs/5932627.htm
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like a winner.

Hopefully there is more to that story..

I would like to say "At least he wasnt actually BEATING his wife.. since that would be worse than wrecking your car into hers, IMO"

but the fact that his infant daughter was in the car with his wife just makes me mad.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #13
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers

I believe he led all offensive lineman in false start penalties last year. His false start penalties were in the double digits. He's a great run blocking tackle, but he got Aaron Brooks killed last year also including all of his false start penalties which took the Saints even further out of 1st down range. He also got beat up by Saints defensive rookie Will Smith. I don't think he'll beat out Seth Wand, but he should bring depth to the offensive line.
Old 05-11-2005   #14
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054
Default Texans sign Victor Riley

Texans | Riley Signed - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 11 May 2005 15:37:04 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Houston Texans have signed free agent OT Victor Riley (Saints) to a one-year contract. Complete financial details were not available, but it is believed Riley can earn about $1 million if he plays regularly. Riley will be given the opportunity to win the starting left tackle job with the Texans.
any one have any info on him other than he has played for the Saints

Last edited by royce1054; 05-11-2005 at 08:59 PM.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #15
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

What are the odds that he doesn't make the final roster? I think he was brought in to compete with Wade and Wand, but if he can't win the starters spot, I think he will be released in the final round of cuts. JMO
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #16
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think Vinny hit the nail on the head when he said that Riley is more likely to fill Spears' role this season. He might be able to play RG if he's pressed into action due to injury, but I think he's got a legitimate shot at making the roster. I doubt he'll be the starter though.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #17
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I think Vinny hit the nail on the head when he said that Riley is more likely to fill Spears' role this season. He might be able to play RG if he's pressed into action due to injury, but I think he's got a legitimate shot at making the roster. I doubt he'll be the starter though.

Hey guys Victor Riley is a stud. He has size, power he is a great run blocker. He will make the team and probably be a starter somewhere on the line. Capers likes to run the ball and Victor Riley is his type of blocker. I would say he is the best FA OL availible. I am stoked that we got him. This tells me that we are gearing up for a major push towards the playoffs.
Old 05-11-2005   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like backup O-line depth to me. Not a bad idea all told.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

competition is a good thing
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #20
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Hopefully with all this depth we won't have a repeat of last season. :brickwall

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read