Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-11-2005   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default San Antonio Saints

Quote:
The San Antonio Express-News reported Wednesday that an attorney representing Tom Benson claimed the Saints owner is interested in relocating the franchise, possibly to San Antonio.

The paper quotes Stanley Rosenberg, Benson’s attorney and long-time friend, as saying that Benson has a strong interest in moving the team out of New Orleans. Rosenberg told the paper that Benson is considering invoking an exit clause in his lease with the State following the upcoming season.

Contacted by Eyewitness Sports Wednesday, Rosenberg declined comment when asked specifically if his quotes in the Express-News were accurate.

Benson recently called off negotiations with the State with the two sides standing about $100 million apart in a total package that would keep the team in New Orleans for another 20 years.

Governor Kathleen Blanco issued some stern comments following Benson’s decision to call off the negotiations, saying it isn’t easy to ask a rich person to give up some of their money and saying that she had appealed to his “humanitarian” side.

Benson has refused any public comment since his statement and rebuffed reporters at the VooDoo's AFL game this weekend.

The Express-News story said San Antonio’s Alamodome would need about $200 million in work to bring it up to NFL standards.

The city’s two mayoral candidates were quoted as receiving news of the Saints considering a move “enthusiastically.”
http://www.wwltv.com/sports/stories/...2640ab5e6.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting. Texas goes from having one NFL team in Dallas to possibly having three teams in a rough triangle around Austin. I'd think this would be cool just to watch what happens to the Cowboy loving San Antonio fans and the Dallas hating Houston fans.

Would the people of S.A. be able to let go of their precious Cowboys? Who would Houston fans hate more? Right now it's Houston and Dallas and we have a very good semi-bitter cross-state rivalry. If there were three teams would that go away? I wonder if it might become like the very bland NBA version with the Spurs-Rockets-Mavericks where most of the time you don't care about at least one of the other two.

It would give Texas fair weather fans three shots a winner every year.
Old 05-11-2005   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the distractions are inevitable beerlover street and all- guess they're concerned about the temptations available to their future QB Adrian McPhearson who has all the tools needed to be a star in the NFL.

beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #4
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

San Antonio needs a football team ....... so I don't have to drive three to four hours to Houston or Dallas to see a game. I can be in San Antonio in one hour....
Old 05-11-2005   #5
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't say I'm surprised, and San Antonio would probably do everything possible to make it happen. I don't see them having the voting challenges that both Houston and Dallas had.

If the Saints were to relocate to San Antonio, there would probably be huge fan loyalty to the home team, which would affect the Cowboys fan base. IMO, that should make it all a fun rivalry.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #6
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

If that were to happen, Id have an NFC team to root for. Im all for it, San Antonio is a great city with great fans (ask the Spurs) and is very well deserving of an NFL team. Would definitely make for some interesting rivalries within the state.
Old 05-11-2005   #7
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not suprised at this. SA is a large city and has alot going for it. Makes sense to me that they might make a run for their own NFL team. They could get all of the far West Texas fans. Saints? Nah, more like the Desperados!
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2005   #8
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Wow, interesting...Just hard to imagine SA having a football team....But i don't think i could pry myself from the Texans...I guess i could view it just like the Spurs and Rockets...As long as the Spurs don't play the Rockets i'll go for the Rockets, otherwise my hearts with the Spurs
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl
I am not suprised at this. SA is a large city and has alot going for it. Makes sense to me that they might make a run for their own NFL team. They could get all of the far West Texas fans. Saints? Nah, more like the Desperados!
I like that San Antonio Desperados, Texans/Cowboys with an edge
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #10
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl
Saints? Nah, more like the Desperados!
I LOVE IT!!! I'd be all over that team (behind the Texans of course)

Filo, I think you need to get into marketing and advertisment...that's a great name!
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #11
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe this is a silly question, but could the NFL have any control over where the team was moved?

Say if they wanted a team in Los Angeles, could they say no to San Antonio, or is it the owner’s decision as long as the project could be funded?
Old 05-11-2005   #12
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this has about as much a chance of happening as Billy Graham going on the Howard Stern program. The NFL has already practically come out and said they would either move a team to LA or grant them a franchise. In fact I heard on the news yesterday where Anaheim has a stadium plan ready to present to the NFL.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

San Antonio can outbid.. but really the league has a huge say in whether the team is put in San Antonio.. and the league is desperate to get a team in L.A.

If the Saints are willing to move and negotiations have been called off.. they will be the L.A. Saints.. ill put money on it.

San Antonio will be a rival that will run up the price on L.A. and make sure that the saints get a good deal when they move.. but the next city to get a team WILL be L.A.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #14
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

Well LA has the biggest chance of getting the Saints but since they don't even have a stadium location yet and probably won't til 2010 and the Saints little contract thingy ends in 2006 or something (I read it somewhere but can't remember) it would be possible for the Saints to go to SA just because LA wouldn't be ready. And there are lots of Pros to this the biggest one being that San Antonio has lots of attractions making it a great site for an SB so losing New Orleans woulnd't hurt the league SB wise, its a big city (population is 1,144,646), if any of the fans from New Orleans still like them they could still go every couple of games since it isn't very far, they could probably get a stadium easily since theres a lot of land and it would be a new stadium (unlike in LA where they can't decide were it would be cheaper to place a stadium and wether or not it would be a new stadium or a renovated stadium. And of course the best reason, I would be able to go see the Bucs once a year!

The Saints are currently asking the city of New Orleans for a new stadium, which would be the key to them staying in New Orleans, wether or not they get it I don't but I do have the design to the stadium. Its a retractable roof stadium with a capacity of somewhere between 60,000-70,000.

Old 05-11-2005   #15
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Yoda

Good post, I'm always impressed with what you have to say. For a 15 year old, you shock me. Nice job buddy
Old 05-11-2005   #16
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

O score I'm on the smart 15 year old list! neways "San Antonio Saints" has a little ding to it! I like it.
Old 05-11-2005   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree San Anton would be a great place for a team.. its big enough.. it does have football fans.. and it would be a very good spot for superbowls.

I just dont think the league will give anyone else a team until L.A. has one. They want a team in L.A. as quickly as possible. if the saints are willing to move.. I think they will figure something out to get them to L.A.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #18
12Gage
Rookie

If LA gets a team it should be the Chargers, or a team already in Cali. Why give them 4 teams?

San Antonio having an NFL team?!
12Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #19
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Gage
If LA gets a team it should be the Chargers, or a team already in Cali. Why give them 4 teams?

San Antonio having an NFL team?!
Why should Texas have 3??? The Texans have enough problems fighting for airtime over the Cowboys, the Saints would have more cause San Antonio is probably Cowboy country. It wouldn't be a smart move on the Saints part because they wouldnt be able to compete against the Texans and Cowboys. They already have enough problems getting people from Louisana to go to the games, how are they going to get people who are fans of other teams???

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #20
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodAa
O score I'm on the smart 15 year old list! neways "San Antonio Saints" has a little ding to it! I like it.
I'm with ya YodAa, my sig proves it. Well, untill 20 more days then I'll be in the smart 16 year old club.

3 Texas football teams, 3 Texas Basketball teams. If this is going to be, the in state rivarly is going to reach a new level.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read