Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-06-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why no RFAs extended offer sheet?

42 restricted free agents, no offers sheets

Quote:
Free agency launched 24 days ago. The class included 42 restricted free agents.

And not a single one has been signed to an offer sheet.

Previously, the thinking was that restricted free agents would get sniffs after the unrestricted market dried up. That thinking arises in part from the fact, in past years, thatís exactly what happened.

So whatís happening this year? With the maximum compensation now reduced from a first-round and third-round pick to only a first-round pick and with the ďpoison pillĒ device dead and with nine of the 42 RFAís available with no compensation to the original team, itís surprising that no offer sheets have been signed. In fact, there have been few if any visits by restricted free agents to prospective employers.

The development comes at a time when many believed that Steelers receiver Mike Wallace and Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb would have been targeted by teams picking in the bottom of round one. And while time remains for signing a player to an offer sheet, thereís no indication that it will happen.

Given the suspected prevalence of collusion in the uncapped year of 2010, when restricted free agency expanded to include players with four years and five years of service and only running back Mike Bell changed teams, and in light of the recent Redskins/Cowboys cap penalties that tend to confirm collusion in 2010, itís hard not to at least wonder whether teams have decided, verbally and discreetly, not to pilfer players via restricted free agency.

Iím not saying thatís what has happened. But given that the teams were told, verbally and discreetly, not to take full advantage of the rules of the uncapped year in 2010, the rubber band already has been stretched that far. The question is whether the NFL currently is pulling both ends of it.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why no RFAs extended offer sheet?

I think the players were allowed to run wild by owners as both sides were pig at the trough. Then owners like McNair got point across to other owners that belt tightening was good for owners. Result, new CBA + things like this. Collusion? Probably but players association should for once keep mouth shut. A player like Wallace isn't worth #26 in a WR starved roster? lol.

It is about the contract that go with the picks. The players are for the most part not worth the money regardless of how the contract is spread. It is a scantily veiled attempt to keep cash in owners pocket. Fans are willing to spend owners' money to get a super Bowl but I think most owners are not so eager to push chips to center of table. As someone else pointed out on another thread, players turned down a higher percentage of profits & then had to settle for less. Union officials boo boo'd big on that. Be a new election if I were the players.
Old 04-06-2012   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think the players were allowed to run wild by owners as both sides were pig at the trough. Then owners like McNair got point across to other owners that belt tightening was good for owners. Result, new CBA + things like this. Collusion? Probably but players association should for once keep mouth shut. A player like Wallace isn't worth #26 in a WR starved roster? lol.

It is about the contract that go with the picks. The players are for the most part not worth the money regardless of how the contract is spread. It is a scantily veiled attempt to keep cash in owners pocket. Fans are willing to spend owners' money to get a super Bowl but I think most owners are not so eager to push chips to center of table. As someone else pointed out on another thread, players turned down a higher percentage of profits & then had to settle for less. Union officials boo boo'd big on that. Be a new election if I were the players.
DeMaurice Smith was recently re-elected NFL Players Association chief executive without opposition. Smith got a second three-year term.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
DeMaurice Smith was recently re-elected NFL Players Association chief executive without opposition. Smith got a second three-year term.
maybe better for nfl in long run.
Old 04-06-2012   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As someone else pointed out on another thread, players turned down a higher percentage of profits & then had to settle for less. Union officials boo boo'd big on that. Be a new election if I were the players.
Devil is in the details. They got a smaller percentage of a larger pot (not everything was included in the salary cap calculation - now more is included) and got a floor installed.
Old 04-06-2012   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Devil is in the details. They got a smaller percentage of a larger pot (not everything was included in the salary cap calculation - now more is included) and got a floor installed.
Maybe you can explain it to me as I just don't understand how the amount that NFL uses to determine the cap (minus the same $ one billion under old CBA) will keep going up but the cap will only rise moderately?
Old 04-06-2012   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe you can explain it to me as I just don't understand how the amount that NFL uses to determine the cap (minus the same $ one billion under old CBA) will keep going up but the cap will only rise moderately?
I haven't heard the details but it sounds just like a free agent deal. You can go from $6 mil one year to $14 mil the next or graduate it up a mil per year. This time the new TV deal is graduated. Over time it will pay a lot more money but is going to ramp up instead of jump up.
Old 04-06-2012   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I haven't heard the details but it sounds just like a free agent deal. You can go from $6 mil one year to $14 mil the next or graduate it up a mil per year. This time the new TV deal is graduated. Over time it will pay a lot more money but is going to ramp up instead of jump up.
So for example the first 3-4 years are small increases but last are overwhelmingly huge? If yes, how is that helpful to the owners?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read