Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-09-2012   #81
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Nightmare Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Can we stop the Okoye was a bust talk. He started for four years for us. If that is the standard for bust there would be soooooooo many first round busts.

Dude is still 24, will probably play for another 10 years in the league.

What a huge bust!
Top ten picks are supposed to be impact players / stars. Not guys that can start, not guys that can be journeymen in this league, S-T-A-R-S!!

As a first-round, top 10 pick, he's a bust.
Old 04-09-2012   #82
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I thought that Brown only played one year at OLT (will conceed RT) at Va Tech was just okay and was largely considered by draftniks as a "reach" and maybe better suited to play else where on the OL.
Well, from wiki alone:

Quote:
College career

After red shirting his freshman year, Brown played in all 13 games in 2004, and caught his first collegiate pass against Western Michigan University that went for a touchdown. In 2005, he moved from tight end to offensive tackle, where he started every game and played in 673 offensive snaps during the regular season.[3]

As a junior, Brown earned second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference recognition and was voted state Offensive Lineman/End of the Year by the Richmond Touchdown Club.[4] During his senior season in 2007, Brown switched to left offensive tackle and earned second-team All-ACC honors and Offensive Lineman/End of the Year by the Richmond Touchdown Club for the second consecutive year
You don't make the second All-ACC team as a backup, so I can only assume he was starting in at least his junior year. Plenty of film on him and he played at a big school. I wasn't around here when he was drafted, but he certainly had enough gametime to be evaluated properly.

Quote:
Barwin just flashed pure athlete skill and was more raw as pass rusher than Hill is a WR.
Ok, but my point is that Hill drops a lot of passes and may not turn out to be an NFL WR at the next level. Yes he can run fast and he's tall, but that's about it. He's very unpolished, and learning to play WR in the NFL is very different from learning to play DE in a 4-3. Hill is only being considered in the 1st because he ran a fast 40 time, he would be a 2nd/3rd round guy otherwise, and I can't be happy with a pick like that at #26. Too much JJ and not enough AJ for me, that's why I put him in the "nightmare pick" discussion.

Quote:
Given where the Texans are drafting , I don't think there is a perfect "1st round" talent especially at WR. My guess is that none of the guys will just cleanly send Walter to the bench or 3rd WR (nor make Jacoby irrelevent). I think more of a time share like Brown did in year 1, no matter who is listed as the starter.

BTW, the name I keep seeing on national mocks is Rueben Randle.
Yeah I can agree with that. I'm not sold on Wright either, but I think he's the best WR option at 26. The real value at WR in this draft is in the 2/3/4 rounds though. Would much rather see an OT, ILB, OLB or NT taken at 26 than a WR. With the way mocks have been changing lately, it's possible OT Jonathan Martin may be there at 26. That would be an interesting pick. Ideally I would like us to trade down and pick up a 3rd.
Old 04-09-2012   #83
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
The texans have announced that they have traded their first round pick to the jets for Tim Tebow!

Good one. Can you image the outcry on this board if that actually happened! My God, all the mods would resign and they'd have to shut the board down. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #84
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2088 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Will texans consider a trade into top 10? Half the teams in top 10 are shopping their pick
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ro...g-to-trade-out
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #85
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Will texans consider a trade into top 10? Half the teams in top 10 are shopping their pick
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ro...g-to-trade-out
I would be shocked. Especially with the Texans losing so much depth this off-season, trading up multiple picks probably including 2013's 1st into the range of very good not great players would seem to be counter productive. They are not 1 player @ ----- position, imo from being a clear Superbowl team.
Old 04-09-2012   #86
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
The texans have announced that they have traded their first round pick to the jets for Tim Tebow!
Attention!
The tar & feathering of the Texans' front office AND Bob McNair has been re-scheduled for the first weekend of OTAs.

Since, this season, OTAs will occur before the draft this will give us time to install a new front office and for Bob McNair to heal sufficiently enough to sign all necessary paperwork and agree to whoever the fans deem worthy of being the new HC, GM, OC, DC, and head scout.

However, should Mr. McNair, et. al. rescind/revoke the Tebow-for-1st-rd-pick trade, the planned tar & feathering activities will be postponed until mid-season. The necessity for said activity will be reassessed at that time.

Additionally, we are asking all participants to PLEASE retain your tar, feathers, pitchforks, and torches should they be needed at that time. As we are on a limited budget, said supplies will NOT be re-issued. If you frivoulously exhaust/consume/expend said supplies (on politicians, bad drivers, slacker teenage offspring, offensive officemates, and/or fellow posters) you will be expected to replenish them at your own expense.

Thank you.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #87
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Well, from wiki alone:

You don't make the second All-ACC team as a backup, so I can only assume he was starting in at least his junior year. Plenty of film on him and he played at a big school. I wasn't around here when he was drafted, but he certainly had enough gametime to be evaluated properly.

Ok, but my point is that Hill drops a lot of passes and may not turn out to be an NFL WR at the next level. Yes he can run fast and he's tall, but that's about it. He's very unpolished, and learning to play WR in the NFL is very different from learning to play DE in a 4-3. Hill is only being considered in the 1st because he ran a fast 40 time, he would be a 2nd/3rd round guy otherwise, and I can't be happy with a pick like that at #26. Too much JJ and not enough AJ for me, that's why I put him in the "nightmare pick" discussion.

Yeah I can agree with that. I'm not sold on Wright either, but I think he's the best WR option at 26. The real value at WR in this draft is in the 2/3/4 rounds though. Would much rather see an OT, ILB, OLB or NT taken at 26 than a WR. With the way mocks have been changing lately, it's possible OT Jonathan Martin may be there at 26. That would be an interesting pick. Ideally I would like us to trade down and pick up a 3rd.
On Hill, the bottom line is how much are you a ceiling versus floor guy.

What's funny is that our conclusions are pretty close. My hope is that there is a true dropper in the 1st round (any position) so that the TExans are not forcing any position (especially WR) at the bottom of the first.
Old 04-09-2012   #88
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
first off, congrats on your high standards. im not sure how it makes any difference whatsoever but bully to you for being more critical than other fans.

im actually with bong & those other easy fans on this one though. what you've posted isnt actually relevant to this discussion. results and draft performance dont always go hand in hand for various reasons. when this happens, its easy to be hypercritical and say the texans suck at every aspect of their jobs but if you go thru each draft and compare the #'s of good players the texans have taken, their record is pretty good.

obvious there are examples of poor picks- amobi being the prime example but overall the texans drafts over the last 6 yrs stack up favourably with nearly anybody in the league. a bit telling that you went o
ff on a 'middling results' tangent instead of listing all the team that supposedly draft better than those middling texans.

its the reason they were the 'on the brink' preseason favourites the last few yrs and why got so far last yr despite alot of injuries and were generally regarded as the deepest team in the nfl.
Total BS,

1. If the entire fanbase held BoB to a higher standard the on field product would've been better a long time ago.
2. Shocking that you would agree with bong. If the draft and FA aren't the major factors in putting a winning product on the field I dont know what is.
3. The Texans have been a 7-9,8-8,7-9 for yrs until last yr. If that's not the definition of middling I dont know what is. BoB spending the $$$$ in FA on JoJo and Manning is a major reason for the Texans making the playoffs for the 1st time since their inception.
4. The Texans dont suck at everything they do and if you think that's what I'm saying, you're wrong. Their draft record other than 2009 has been spotty at best under Smith. Last yrs draft produced 2 starters (hopefully more picks will grow into starters.) The OkOye draft was terrible, D.Brown was a Gibbs pick, 2009 draft was great, KJ draft was avg at best, last yrs draft was an above avg draft with potential to be way above avg. Atleast this is the way I see it once all of the spin is removed.

And I dont expect you to agree with me. But it's interesting to see how others view the Texans. The way I see this offseason is, they lost the depth that helped them overcome injuries/KJ last yr. (Hopefully KJ keeps improving) This removes Ricks (Gary/Wade) margin of error entering this yrs draft. They either need a 2009 type draft, or they need to be incredibly lucky and avoid injuries.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #89
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Top ten picks are supposed to be impact players / stars. Not guys that can start, not guys that can be journeymen in this league, S-T-A-R-S!!

As a first-round, top 10 pick, he's a bust.
He has not lived up to the hope the FO had in him, he is a disappointment but in my book to be a bust is to never produce and be out of the league.

By your definition of the player having to be a STAR to be a first round draft success, of the 32 players taken in the first round of the 2007 draft there are in my book 27 BUSTS.

The only stars in that first round being, Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Darrelle Revis.
Old 04-09-2012   #90
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
He has not lived up to the hope the FO had in him, he is a disappointment but in my book to be a bust is to never produce and be out of the league.

By your definition of the player having to be a STAR to be a first round draft success, of the 32 players taken in the first round of the 2007 draft there are in my book 27 BUSTS.

The only stars in that first round being, Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Darrelle Revis.
I hope the FO learnt their lesson with that pick. They drafted a project for need which is always going to be a horrid combination. By the numbers Okoye didn't have a terrible season last year and he has caught on with another team, plenty of guys haven't even been drafted at his age so maybe he'll turn into a decent player at some stage. But they drafted this kid that wasn't going to start maturing for another 5 years as their starting DT, and placed him next to a bust DT playing NT and expected it to work.

As for my nightmare pick? Texans use their 1st rounder on a QB, and straight away I'm thinking ****, Schaub is done and its in the lap of the Gods how long its going to take us to find another QB good enough.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #91
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I think Poe will bust straight out. I think Hill has a ton of potential, but he's a project. Anybody wanting us to upgrade WR for 2012 would be wise to take someone else or take multiple WR's early. If the Texans are targeting Hill then I expect another WR in the 3rd round who will contribute immediately.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that while taking Hill wouldn't be a bad pick, he would do nothing for us in 2012 and it's been the consensus that we need an immediate upgrade at WR.

Grabbing Hill in the 1st and Marvin Jones in the 2nd or 3rd would be a great haul but we have plenty of other needs so that doesn't seem reasonable. I would prefer to skip on Hill altogether and grab a guy who can be a #2 right now and hit our other needs.
I agree that I'd like a more polished receiver, but I disagree that hill would be a bad pick or wouldn't do anything for us in 2012.

I agree that he'd likely take a while to completely understand the system, but in the meantime he could run a select few routes and give us a better down field receiving game. Take jacoby and/or kw off the field some.

In the mock draft we did I selected him for San Fran. I think that, kind of like ours, would be a perfect situation for him. He wouldn't have to be the man right away there and could learn behind moss and crabcakes.

I think here he could be eased along slowly as well, but begin to take on more of a role as the season wore on.

Personally, I'd rather have Alshon early and streeter late, but I wouldn't complain about picking up hill. The ability is there.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #92
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Nightmare pick: Keenum in the first.

For a few reasons:

1) the schaub implications
2) too early for him
3) I'll have to hear 76 texan's mouth
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #93
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

For a few reasons:

2) too early for him
Do you have those in the correct order?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #94
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Do you have those in the correct order?
ZZZZZZZZZING!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #95
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

For a few reasons:

2) too early for him
I would jump off my balcony if they did that, lol.

I'm not a real draft type guy, but a WTF pick for me would be a guard in the first round. A tackle I wouldn't mind, but I think we will be alright at guard. Now, maybe in the later rounds I would have no problem with drafting a guard.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #96
BigSmooth1269
Rookie

I would be pretty upset if we took Mike Adams. There is something about him that just says "blah." Also I just don't see a need for a first round tackle or guard. Lots of these guys are maulers and we need the athletic converted TE type. A QB obviously would make me an angry fan here in NJ, also I think unless Alex Barron falls to who I think is a tad overrated because of another less then stellar safety draft. RB and C would make me give the wtf face.

I think Hill would be a great heir to Dre pick. Worstcomes to worst he is a deep threat that takes the safeties away from Dre. He can block is a big fast physical receiver. That's what we want and we have no dire needs. Developmental depth would be good. Do you pull the trigger on Janoris Jenkins? I do. He is a great top 5 talent if he didn't have a mental lapse. The NFL gives second chances and he has stayed out of trouble for a bi, remember Jared Allen got 2 DUIs and thn said "let me get that loot" and has been cool since. I mean I even like KJ he was solid last year and I'll take it when JJ basically shuts out the number 1.

Opinions? Yeah I'm new here
BigSmooth1269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read