Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-08-2012   #61
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Nightmare Pick

i was flipin through PF Draft magazine today and for the texans it had us selecting some QB ... whos name i forgot i was like WTF LOL

everyone says we are going WR but i think if a Good Tackle falls to us we might snatch him up

i think ILB is a possible since we let demco go and Sharpton is coming off injury
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #62
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i actually had a dream the night before last that we took ILB's in the first two rounds (is it football season yet?!?!?). i wasnt too pleased, and neither were the unidentifiable people around me.

i (and apparently my subconscious) are hoping we go with WR/OLB/OL in the first couple of rounds.
Old 04-08-2012   #63
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
1 playoff appearance in a decade. Rah-Rah-Rah

Decent is good enough for fans with low expectations. (Not me)
You took the words right out of my mouth.. screw that mediocrity non sense, if your gonna come out since day one and say your building through the draft and not gonna take big name players from free agency(when they had the money) then you better be ON POINT with your draft picks because you have no room for error especially since our team has stay .500 for most of the decade giving us terrible draft picks
BattleRedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #64
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
also go back and watch the press conference from Thursday night and Friday morning and it is very clear that wade Phillips wanted Aldon Smith ahead of everyone else. To his credit, Aldon smith looks to be a great player, but to give wade credit for putting his foot down and tell Rick smith to draft jj watt is ridiculous.
your other post said "wade smith" haha.. anyway I am pretty positive Phillips did say to draft JJ Watt bc when they go in the draft war room they make a list of players so when aldon smith was taken they went to their next on the list a plan B.. its that simple
BattleRedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #65
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Nightmare picks would be Dontari Poe and Stephen Hill. Both of these guys are workout warriors. They may turn out to be productive, but I don't want to take the risk.
Old 04-08-2012   #66
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Nightmare picks would be Dontari Poe and Stephen Hill. Both of these guys are workout warriors. They may turn out to be productive, but I don't want to take the risk.
I think Poe is going to be long gone before the Texans pick.

The Texans seem to have a specific set of athletic profiles (per position) that they like in players especially in the early picks. Texans Chick is better at explaining this than I am, but they value athletic ability and high character over consistent proven production and true immediate impact.

The positive examples for this have been Daune Brown and Conner Barwin who did not have lots of playing time nor record extreme production coming out of college at the position that the Texans drafted to play. Stephen Hill fits that profile and is my predicted target for the Texans at the moment.
Old 04-08-2012   #67
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
The only stellar draft in the Rick Smith era was last year & one could argue Wade Phillips was the heavy handed defensive guru that wanted JJ Watt & Brooks Reed. I will give him credit however as a good listener
I don't know that I really agree with that assessment.

2011: JJ Watt, Brooks Reed, and then a bunch of guys most of us liked although we had to warm up to TJ Yates.

2010: Ben Tate, Earl Mitchell, Sharpton. Whether you hate KJ or not, that's a pretty good draft.

2009: 2-time DROY Cushing, Connor Barwin, Glover Quin, James Casey, Brice McCain. That's a stellar draft.

2008: Duane Brown, Steve Slaton. This looked for a year like it was going to be a stellar draft until Slaton fell back to earth.

2007: Okoye, Jacoby Jones, Fred Bennett, Brandon Harrison. It looked good at first but after a couple of years became a horrible, horrible draft.

I'd say the only bad draft in the Smithiak regime was the 2007 draft. All the other ones were at least good, and at least a couple (2009, 2011) were great. 2010 might turn out to be a great draft as well.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2012   #68
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
1 playoff appearance in a decade. Rah-Rah-Rah

Decent is good enough for fans with low expectations. (Not me)
first off, congrats on your high standards. im not sure how it makes any difference whatsoever but bully to you for being more critical than other fans.

im actually with bong & those other easy fans on this one though. what you've posted isnt actually relevant to this discussion. results and draft performance dont always go hand in hand for various reasons. when this happens, its easy to be hypercritical and say the texans suck at every aspect of their jobs but if you go thru each draft and compare the #'s of good players the texans have taken, their record is pretty good.

obvious there are examples of poor picks- amobi being the prime example but overall the texans drafts over the last 6 yrs stack up favourably with nearly anybody in the league. a bit telling that you went off on a 'middling results' tangent instead of listing all the team that supposedly draft better than those middling texans.

its the reason they were the 'on the brink' preseason favourites the last few yrs and why got so far last yr despite alot of injuries and were generally regarded as the deepest team in the nfl.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #69
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we stop the Okoye was a bust talk. He started for four years for us. If that is the standard for bust there would be soooooooo many first round busts.

Dude is still 24, will probably play for another 10 years in the league.

What a huge bust!
Old 04-09-2012   #70
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post

The Texans seem to have a specific set of athletic profiles (per position) that they like in players especially in the early picks. Texans Chick is better at explaining this than I am, but they value athletic ability and high character over consistent proven production and true immediate impact.

The positive examples for this have been Daune Brown and Conner Barwin who did not have lots of playing time nor record extreme production coming out of college at the position that the Texans drafted to play. Stephen Hill fits that profile and is my predicted target for the Texans at the moment.
I think Poe will bust straight out. I think Hill has a ton of potential, but he's a project. Anybody wanting us to upgrade WR for 2012 would be wise to take someone else or take multiple WR's early. If the Texans are targeting Hill then I expect another WR in the 3rd round who will contribute immediately.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that while taking Hill wouldn't be a bad pick, he would do nothing for us in 2012 and it's been the consensus that we need an immediate upgrade at WR.

Grabbing Hill in the 1st and Marvin Jones in the 2nd or 3rd would be a great haul but we have plenty of other needs so that doesn't seem reasonable. I would prefer to skip on Hill altogether and grab a guy who can be a #2 right now and hit our other needs.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #71
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only stellar draft in the Rick Smith era was last year & one could argue Wade Phillips was the heavy handed defensive guru that wanted JJ Watt & Brooks Reed. I will give him credit however as a good listener

Now will Texans FO still listen? With both DeMeco & Mario gone I sure hope so, hence reason why I started this thread. To gauge the pulse of my fellow, knowledgeable Texan fans.
When Phillips decides to retire, he should immediately be hired as the Draft consultant.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #72
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
When Phillips decides to retire, he should immediately be hired as the Draft consultant.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #73
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Now will Texans FO still listen? With both DeMeco & Mario gone I sure hope so, hence reason why I started this thread. To gauge the pulse of my fellow, knowledgeable Texan fans.
Um, Cushing, Barwin, mcCain, Nolan and Quin in the same draft is pretty solid, TBH. Add to that Foster as an UDFA and you cant say he did a bad job.
Old 04-09-2012   #74
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. Two guys who did well at the combine and never really had an impact in collage. Poe scares me more, because he should have dominated C-USA and didn't. At least Hill does have an asterix since they ran triple option.
Old 04-09-2012   #75
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Stephen Hill
Alshon Jeffery
Mike Adams
Jerel Worthy
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #76
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post

Duane Brown started 3 years at OT and a year at TE before that. For an o-linemen, that's about as much as you can ask for.

Barwin on the other hand was kind of a weird one. He was a TE and then converted to DE his senior season. Got 10 sacks that year though, so it's not like he came out of nowhere. He showed a lot of potential, so we took him in the mid-2nd round.

In contrast, Hill started all of the games last year as a WR and had 28 receptions for 820 yards and 5 TDs. He dropped a lot of passes though. I really don't like the idea of taking a guy like that with our first. If we trade back to the 2nd, maybe, but he's a boom or bust guy with a long road of development ahead of him. I would much rather get a guy who knows how to play WR like Kendall Wright. Same type of player if you're looking for a burner as a #2 WR. He can't block very well though, so I'm sure that will be the deciding factor with Kubes.
Old 04-09-2012   #77
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

The texans have announced that they have traded their first round pick to the jets for Tim Tebow!

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #78
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
The texans have announced that they have traded their first round pick to the jets for Tim Tebow!
bless you my son

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #79
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I think Poe will bust straight out. I think Hill has a ton of potential, but he's a project. Anybody wanting us to upgrade WR for 2012 would be wise to take someone else or take multiple WR's early. If the Texans are targeting Hill then I expect another WR in the 3rd round who will contribute immediately.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that while taking Hill wouldn't be a bad pick, he would do nothing for us in 2012 and it's been the consensus that we need an immediate upgrade at WR.

Grabbing Hill in the 1st and Marvin Jones in the 2nd or 3rd would be a great haul but we have plenty of other needs so that doesn't seem reasonable. I would prefer to skip on Hill altogether and grab a guy who can be a #2 right now and hit our other needs.
Quote:
Duane Brown started 3 years at OT and a year at TE before that. For an o-linemen, that's about as much as you can ask for.

Barwin on the other hand was kind of a weird one. He was a TE and then converted to DE his senior season. Got 10 sacks that year though, so it's not like he came out of nowhere. He showed a lot of potential, so we took him in the mid-2nd round.

In contrast, Hill started all of the games last year as a WR and had 28 receptions for 820 yards and 5 TDs. He dropped a lot of passes though. I really don't like the idea of taking a guy like that with our first. If we trade back to the 2nd, maybe, but he's a boom or bust guy with a long road of development ahead of him. I would much rather get a guy who knows how to play WR like Kendall Wright. Same type of player if you're looking for a burner as a #2 WR. He can't block very well though, so I'm sure that will be the deciding factor with Kubes.
I thought that Brown only played one year at OLT (will conceed RT) at Va Tech was just okay and was largely considered by draftniks as a "reach" and maybe better suited to play else where on the OL.

Barwin just flashed pure athlete skill and was more raw as pass rusher than Hill is a WR.

Given where the Texans are drafting , I don't think there is a perfect "1st round" talent especially at WR. My guess is that none of the guys will just cleanly send Walter to the bench or 3rd WR (nor make Jacoby irrelevent). I think more of a time share like Brown did in year 1, no matter who is listed as the starter.

BTW, the name I keep seeing on national mocks is Rueben Randle.
Old 04-09-2012   #80
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
OMG, that the best "Nightmare" pick their is.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read