Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-10-2012   #41
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McNair Speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
We are the defending AFC South champs. We need to be excited about that and see the positives.
This is where I am at right now. Still high from January 7, when the Texans played and won their first playoff game.

I do not think our division will be that strong this year. The Titans could give us some trouble, but competition is desired to make the Texans a better team.

I am not the most optimistic person, but I just can't bring myself to get worked up over things right now. This off-season is 1000X better than last year, so just having some football issues to talk about is good.

It's all about choosing your perspective, and right now, I am expecting another playoff season and choose not to be unhappy as a Houston football fan.
Old 04-10-2012   #42
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Responses in BOLD. What Bob is doing is called "sunshine pumping". While he may be right, comparing the Texans organization to the Patriots organization is self-congratulatory on his part to a rather extreme level. When we make the playoffs 7 of 10 years in a row, then I might buy in. As it stands now, Bob is spinning a bad story the best way he can.
So fans cannot be confident UNTIL we've had 7 years of good fortune? At that point, it's kind of a Captain Obvious for all involved...isn't it?

The fun of this stage of our team's growth is that we have a choice: Choose to be encouraged at the previous year's success AND that we have a good shot to repeat in 2012...or, choose to see a multitude of holes that foretell a season of angst (wiping away any hope that we ARE turning a corner).

At the end of the day, I choose to be encouraged that we did all we could to keep as many of the gang together...we didn't keep 'em all together, but we also are not losers at the same time.

Things can exist independent of one another, ya' know. One thing doesn't automatically lead to another. Lots of factors exist that can mean success or failure, not just that we lost two OL and two guys on D.

Confession: I'm glad Mario Williams is gone. I was tired of the argument. At the end of the day, this defense needs to be a team and not about 1 guy. Our offense is also not about 1 guy, either. Kubiak has done a great job of building a team that survives obstacles and challenges. They're built for this, IMO. Colts lose Manning and they implode.
Old 04-10-2012   #43
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Right now, people are just "concerned" with no way of knowing if their concerns are valid or not.
Just as people "know" everything is just fine without knowing if their hopes will be fulfilled or not.

The doom and gloomers and sunshine club have one thing in common. Just about everything one of them says now immediately irritates the other side, and that side's "righteous" indignation then irritates the first poster, ad nauseum.

I am going to try to keep in mind that every word I utter irritates half the board, while thing to discuss middle of the road topics.

I'd like to see a reasonable discussion of a topic such as:

What is the net effect of Winston's loss? Is it probable that run blocking is worse? Is it probable that pass protection is better? Is the net effect a push, positive, or negative? I'd like to discuss such things in terms of the team's on field performance this season. Believe it or not, I understand the cap drove the move. I'd like to talk about the team the Texans field next year.
Old 04-10-2012   #44
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It also doesn't mean that Winston and Brisiel are going to be Pro Bowl OL this year, either. It's possible that other guys could do their jobs.

The RBs also were NOT very good at running when Caldwell replaced Brisiel at RG. So the theory that the RBs are gods among mere mortals is a myth. And I don't think the RG spot is Caldwell's just yet. Draft, other OL already on our roster, and other avenues (during camp) can mean Caldwell is not our RG when the season begins.

All in all, we just have to wait and see. But yeah, the woe-is-me attitude is a bit premature. I blame this on lack of substantial football activity...once the pads and helmets are cracking, clouds will lift and the sun will shine. Birds will chirp. We'll have more substantive things to discuss instead of this retread topic. Happens every time.

Right now, people are just "concerned" with no way of knowing if their concerns are valid or not.
You're not the first person to say this GP so I'm not picking on you. But since you just freshly brought this up again...

Exactly which games did Caldwell start. I'd like to compare the stats.

Right now I see three games where our running attack failed to bust 100 yds;
vs. Oakland (Foster 22 carries/68 yds),
@ Baltimore - reg. season (Foster 15 car./49 yds; Tate 9 car./41 yds), and
@ Jacksonville (when Leinart got hurt and we truly went conservative. Foster 22 car./65 yds; Tate 5 car./26 yds).

All other games our running game yielded 135 yds or better. Usually much better. I don't recall Briesel being hurt until sometime after that Jacksonville game when Leinart went down. So what games did Caldwell start?? Where's the data that says our running game sucked when he started?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #45
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So fans cannot be confident UNTIL we've had 7 years of good fortune? At that point, it's kind of a Captain Obvious for all involved...isn't it?
It wasn't ME comparing the long-hapless Texans to the Patriots, it was the Texans owner. Exactly ONE playoff appearance in a decade doesn't equal blind faith on my part in the "wisdom" of the owner. His comparison was overblown, and his example was poorly thought out at best.

Right now, I still think we're a good team in a bad division. Unfortunately, we've got a tough non-division schedule that could give us fits if the running game falters. (not to mention major injuries to our QB and WR1)

I'd like to see the Texans in the AFC championship game this year. I'm considerably LESS confident about that prospect than I was before FA began.

I'm praying the Texans have the right players fall to them in the draft. WR, LB & OL have to be a priority. If I see TE, RB & QB taken 1-2-3 by the Texans, I might have a breakdown.

Last edited by disaacks3; 04-10-2012 at 03:00 PM.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #46
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
You know what concerns me about our running game next year? It isn't that we lost 2 solid players who were paid more than we could possibly afford, who's replacements will be chosen between a couple of guys with years in the system + solid starting experience or a couple of rookies/less experienced guys who'll have to beat them out if they want to play.

The key is going to be can Schaub and AJ return to where they were before they got injured.

Because if we're playing with Yates/a hobbled Schaub, and the AJ we saw in the playoffs (great effort but clearly not himself) then we're going to be getting 8 guys stacking the box all season long, shutting down our running game no matter who we have in there, and be forced to throw it up to AJ regardless of how well covered he is late in the game.

We rely on the threat of our play action and bootlegs to open up the running game, if we can't establish that threat then everything else becomes so much more difficult in our system.
Rep coming your way.

I am not nearly concerned about the defense. Yes, we did lose MW, but honestly we still got VERY good production from Reed's rookie campaign and I think Barwin is only going to get better. I said it before his athletic skill set is SO much better suited to be a 3-4 OLB than undersized DE. Overall this defense has an identity. It's high motor guys flying to the ball. MW was a lot of things, but I don't ever recall that one thing you could say was the guy has a high motor. I do think we need to add a quality 3rd OLB and while Sharpton might be serviceable we could def upgrade his spot.

Offense is where all my real concern is. Will Matt REALLY be back 100% post Lisfrac? My real concern is that his already limited mobility will be hampered more and it could mean he could take more hits. Can he hold up for a full season?

I liked what I saw from Yates and he can only improve this off-season getting more reps and more time in the system as opposed to a short cut off-season last year. Physically he's got the tools that can make a QB in this system shine. The question is going to be does he get it between the ears. Seems like he can. If they do decide to go with him as the full fledged #2 this year, he NEEDS as many reps as possible this off-season, because if Matt's not 100% or if his mobility is even less....its very possible he will need to step in sooner than later.

On the OL, I think Butler will step in fine. We MIGHT lose something in run blocking which Winston excelled at, but often he seemed like a liability in pass blocking. Could be a push. My bigger concern is can Caldwell really step up at RG. I don't think Brisiel was not spectacular, but he was consistent which is what we needed him to develop into being. I think he got a major payday from Oakland, congrats. I just think guard play is more valuable right now than losing Winston, this includes can Wade Smith bounce back from a mediocre year at LG.

I think with a full offseason of rest AJ should be back to being AJ. My bigger concern is really what do we have past him at this point? The love affair this staff has with JJ is borderline dangerous. While Bob is saying they do need help at WR, how dedicated are they really? Will we see them take a WR in the first? I dunno but something must be done to really address the talent or lack off after AJ on this WR corps.

Is Graham ready to step up with the departure of Dressen? Could they decide to really have Casey as a full H back in shifting out to TE on more formations? Will they draft ANOTHER TE... most likely.

My bigger concern with what Bob said is getting Rick and Gary extended and being satisfied with their overall performance. To me it should be highly tied up with what happens this year. If we see a drop off like we did after the 9-7 season, both need to be fired. I still have lingering concerns about Gary's overall ability to be a HC.

My final point is Bob, what has the team done to get better this off-season? That is what fans are concerned about. Yes, we know you can point to getting Foster inked long term and resigning Myers. Congrats, that's called maintaining. Its what perennial playoff teams do. The biggest botch this off-season so far IMO was waiting on MW. While we set idle waiting for an answer we should have known was coming, there were other pieces we could have added with that money instead.

All that said....it's still early in the off-season thankfully. We still have the draft and June cuts for the team to get better.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Actually, I didn't say NEXT year's Pro Bowl, but the point still stands. Where are these guys' replacements that can play at/above their level? They sure as hell aren't currently on the Texans roster.

Responses in BOLD. What Bob is doing is called "sunshine pumping". While he may be right, comparing the Texans organization to the Patriots organization is self-congratulatory on his part to a rather extreme level. When we make the playoffs 7 of 10 years in a row, then I might buy in. As it stands now, Bob is spinning a bad story the best way he can.
Actually, with Winston and Briesel you did specify next years pro bowl so maybe I incorrectly assumed you meant the same for Mario and Demeco. And my point still stands. I wouldn't be surprised if none of these guys made a pro bowl next year and only one ever made it again.

As far as their replacements on the roster...I think that is where I disagree with you. I don't know how you can definitively say either way. You're saying that the replacements "sure as hell aren't on the roster", and I don't see any way you could know that.

I think it's more likely than not that AT LEAST one of the replacements will exceed our expectations and play at a level at or above the player they are replacing.

Not to mention that we actually have incoming draft picks.

We cut Winston, Traded Demeco and LOST Mario, Dreesen and Brisel to FA/higher bids.

I don't think we cut Winston or trade Demeco if the team felt like we couldn't manage without them or if we couldn't be successful without them.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2012   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know from the armchair GM perspective people want detailed, accurate knowledge of their teams cap situation, its only natural. Its in the teams best interest however to keep that as secret as possible because when they're negotiating their deals in FA, and some guy wants 500k extra per year because their agent has accurate cap information for the team, and hey, we know you can afford it, suddenly the team is in a worse bargaining position.

What would you prefer? To have them tell us all the cap info so that we can endlessly talk all offseason about what we'd do with all that money, at the cost of having to pay players a bit extra to the effect of not being able to get as many quality guys in. Or let them keep their cards close to their chest and offer players what they're worth telling them its the best they could possibly come up with?

Compared to 12 months ago, I think we go into this draft with a stronger talent pool already on the team than we did then, and therefore we're drafting from our strongest position of all time.

We've lost Brisiel, Winston, DeMeco, and Williams, but we've gained JoJo, Manning, Watt, Reed, whilst Barwin, Cushing, Tate, Quin all look significantly more valuable than they did 12 months ago. I'm fully behind Bob's plan right now, and frankly, if I'm proven wrong, I'll have spent 6 months less pissed off about it than anyone who's pissed off already, so its win-win for me.
Good post BUT don't you agree that teams could be much clearer in dealing with cap without giving up exact amounts? We have seen Texans dump players in the last few weeks to get what they want so another team knowing what Texans have to spend should do little to keep Texans or any team from getting a player. I am not talking about a bidding war where we are trying to sign Asomugha. Maybe it is just my personal feelings that Texans have not handled the cap well. The difference in the bolded above is your first group was lost for 2012 season and the second group played last season. Certainly we know more about them and hopefully each will be better but I want to see team add another bull to the herd not just hope that the one born last year is gonna one day develop into a great producer. Maybe this draft will put us over the top.

WT, can you explain what happened to the money that was set aside when Texans thought they might be able to sign Mario? That had to be a least $10m or more and now it is just gone?
Old 04-10-2012   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rep your way.

We are the defending AFC South champs. We need to be excited about that and see the positives.

Every team has something wrong with it: Some teams have zero talent, so they're grabbing guys in FA and drafting in the top 10 of the draft. Some teams have mediocre talent and could make bad moves or good moves, which would make them better or worse depending on the moves made. And some teams are coming off great years (such as ours) but are having to battle the inherent problems with success--Players want more money than what can be paid to them.

So therefore, every team has its own "problems" to overcome. I'd rather have our kind of problems than the problems a team like the Colts have. Outside of drafting Andrew Luck, they got zilch. OK, maybe Reggie Wayne. They're switching to a 3-4 and they have nobody on the nose in that 3-4 scheme. They are going to have to draft virtually "for need" all draft long. They lost their center, Jeff Saturday. No run game to speak of. Defense in flux. New head coach, and new GM. It's not impossible for them to succeed, but their problems are greater than ours...big time!
My fat ugly girlfriend is better yours. I'm still gonna hope she joins a President's First Lady, lays off the cream gravy and starts using hair conditioner. I mean I'm glad she won the wet Tshirt contest but I want more from our relationship.
Old 04-10-2012   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
What do Arian Foster, Ben Tate, Derrick Ward have in common?

A) They are great/very good runners no matter who is blocking.
B) They were great/very good runners behind a great run blocking line last year.

I suspect if the Texans had kept the oline and lost Foster and/or Tate I'd be reading that their loss is OK, they were just a "product of the system" and the team would be fine because it was the line that counts.

For years I've read that running backs were plug and play commodities in the Kubiak system. Now it seems the athletic zone blocking lineman are the replaceable ones.

I think there is ample reason to be concerned about the running game next year without being branded a doom and gloomer.
You also should have read that weaker, smaller Olinemen with good balance and feet could be had at lower rounds for ZBS. Theoretically, you don't have to use a first or necessarily a second for RB or OL. As we've seen with Tate, Foster, Brown it sure helps. lol
Old 04-10-2012   #51
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This is where I am at right now. Still high from January 7, when the Texans played and won their first playoff game.

I do not think our division will be that strong this year. The Titans could give us some trouble, but competition is desired to make the Texans a better team.

I am not the most optimistic person, but I just can't bring myself to get worked up over things right now. This off-season is 1000X better than last year, so just having some football issues to talk about is good.

It's all about choosing your perspective, and right now, I am expecting another playoff season and choose not to be unhappy as a Houston football fan.
A voice of reason. My sentiments exactly. WTF is there to wad all these panties? I think to FO just might know a little more about what's going on and even have a game plan more so than the FO personnel in training here. I know they're all inept and clueless and if it weren't for 'ol Softie Bob would be saying "Want fries with that?"

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #52
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Actually, with Winston and Briesel you did specify next years pro bowl so maybe I incorrectly assumed you meant the same for Mario and Demeco. And my point still stands. I wouldn't be surprised if none of these guys made a pro bowl next year and only one ever made it again.

As far as their replacements on the roster...I think that is where I disagree with you. I don't know how you can definitively say either way. You're saying that the replacements "sure as hell aren't on the roster", and I don't see any way you could know that.

I think it's more likely than not that AT LEAST one of the replacements will exceed our expectations and play at a level at or above the player they are replacing.

Not to mention that we actually have incoming draft picks.

We cut Winston, Traded Demeco and LOST Mario, Dreesen and Brisel to FA/higher bids.

I don't think we cut Winston or trade Demeco if the team felt like we couldn't manage without them or if we couldn't be successful without them.
I do expect Briesel to be in the Pro Bowl next year. As for their replacements? Sure, I've got a spare tire in my truck, that doesn't mean it runs as well as the Michelins I've already got on. Do you honestly think that the guys we've had playing BEHIND Briesel and Winston will be better than they were this coming year? I want what you're smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
A voice of reason. My sentiments exactly. WTF is there to wad all these panties? I think to FO just might know a little more about what's going on and even have a game plan more so than the FO personnel in training here. I know they're all inept and clueless and if it weren't for 'ol Softie Bob would be saying "Want fries with that?"
Yep, "ol softie Bob" kept Casserly & crew around exactly how many years? How many winning seasons did that brain trust have? How "on the right track" were they in 2010? When Bob goes and compares the Texans to the Patriots (and uses a piss poor example of a player lost at that), he deserves the ridicule.

For the record, the sentiments of worry extend far beyond this little message board. But, feel free to lump our opinions as useless, despite them being in sync with a LOT of league sources. I mean hey, Bob's guys have always had a "winning tradition" right?
Old 04-10-2012   #53
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Disaacks, I just noticed your sig pic. I mean, isn't it time to update it? Even Texecutioner (and myself, I might add) did away with our anti-Kubiak sig pics back about November of 2011. Yours is even more outdated. LOL.

Don't wear out your shoulder grinding the axe here.

And you didn't even know who Brisiel was, or where he came from, when the season of 2011 began. Few of us did. He made a leap this past season, and he made bank off it. Now we find out who is the next Brisiel for us.

I won't begrudge you the criticisms you levy against this team. Lord knows I had a bag full of 'em this time last year. All of you ought to know that I have had my fair share of anger and harsh criticisms on here. This year? Meh, it doesn't fit (IMO).
Old 04-10-2012   #54
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not an unhappy Texans fan, I agree with most of the Texans offseason moves.

With that said, I dont believe Rick (Teflon)Smith is the man to lead this franchise to greatness. Have you ever had a boss who took all of the credit when you did all of the work on a project? And put all of the blame on you if you did the work and a project failed?

This is Ricks management style in a nutshell. Teams generally dont win in NFL with this management style. But BoBBY seems to be just fine and dandy with Rick. Texan fans shouldn't be booking hotels in New Orleans for the SB.

BOBBy and his gentlemans agreement status quo (collusion) during the lockout/this yrs salary cap punishment against the Cowgirls/Redskins (NFL should lose in arbitration) should tell you what BoBBy is all about.

That good ole boy, awe shucks routine is just a front. BoBBy is a cold/business 1st/it's all about the $$$$. Just like the rest of the NFL owners. If you dont believe this, why do think BoBBy has become a spokesperson for the owners.

For the record I was pro owner during the lockout. But BoBBy's routine grows a little old after seeing him do his thing for a decade. This interview is just another example of BoBBy spinning things.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #55
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

AFC south defending Champs its hard to get to the top

ITS even """"harder"""" to stay on the top
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #56
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Good post BUT don't you agree that teams could be much clearer in dealing with cap without giving up exact amounts? We have seen Texans dump players in the last few weeks to get what they want so another team knowing what Texans have to spend should do little to keep Texans or any team from getting a player. I am not talking about a bidding war where we are trying to sign Asomugha. Maybe it is just my personal feelings that Texans have not handled the cap well. The difference in the bolded above is your first group was lost for 2012 season and the second group played last season. Certainly we know more about them and hopefully each will be better but I want to see team add another bull to the herd not just hope that the one born last year is gonna one day develop into a great producer. Maybe this draft will put us over the top.

WT, can you explain what happened to the money that was set aside when Texans thought they might be able to sign Mario? That had to be a least $10m or more and now it is just gone?
Thanks, on the first bit where you point out that the first group was lost this year and the second played last year, I still think overall, we're drafting from a stronger position, and you can say its only because FA came after the draft last year, which is fair, but it doesn't make it any less true.

As for the question you ask, I honestly don't know, tbh, I'd love to reflect that question back on you and find out your thoughts?? Not being funny when I say that, I respect your opinion from what I've read of your posts and am genuinely interested to know what you think??

I'd possibly think that maybe they found a way to keep Mario at the cost of future years, and when they realised they couldn't keep him relatively cheaply (say they put aside $12m for him) they suddenly thought, we'll spend that this season on paying off Demeco, and then we can easily keep Duane Brown next season/something to that extent.

Now, if they are thinking like that, then that concerns me, not because they put money aside to keep Mario, (look back through my posts and you'll see I wanted to find a way to keep Mario, but not anywhere near the price the Bills paid him) but because they were willing to lose guys who I consider more important (Brown, Cush) in order to keep him. I'm hoping, if I am right in thinking that, that them 'missing out' will work out for the better.

I also hope to high heaven, that what we are witnessing is the Texans taking mildly uncomfortable decisions now, to cope with an unexpectedly flat cap over the next few years, and if the teams signing FA's to previously unheard of deals now (Mario, Calvin, etc) turn out to be wrong, they'll look pretty smart in the end.

I don't claim to be an expert, in fact its only been the last year or so I've even felt confident enough to state an opinion on the sport, so I welcome feedback, but thats how I'm seeing things right now. Smart decisions that hurt a little in the short term but makes the long term easier about sums it up. I'm sure we all hope I'm right whether you agree or not.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Thanks, on the first bit where you point out that the first group was lost this year and the second played last year, I still think overall, we're drafting from a stronger position, and you can say its only because FA came after the draft last year, which is fair, but it doesn't make it any less true.

As for the question you ask, I honestly don't know, tbh, I'd love to reflect that question back on you and find out your thoughts?? Not being funny when I say that, I respect your opinion from what I've read of your posts and am genuinely interested to know what you think??

I'd possibly think that maybe they found a way to keep Mario at the cost of future years, and when they realised they couldn't keep him relatively cheaply (say they put aside $12m for him) they suddenly thought, we'll spend that this season on paying off Demeco, and then we can easily keep Duane Brown next season/something to that extent.

Now, if they are thinking like that, then that concerns me, not because they put money aside to keep Mario, (look back through my posts and you'll see I wanted to find a way to keep Mario, but not anywhere near the price the Bills paid him) but because they were willing to lose guys who I consider more important (Brown, Cush) in order to keep him. I'm hoping, if I am right in thinking that, that them 'missing out' will work out for the better.

I also hope to high heaven, that what we are witnessing is the Texans taking mildly uncomfortable decisions now, to cope with an unexpectedly flat cap over the next few years, and if the teams signing FA's to previously unheard of deals now (Mario, Calvin, etc) turn out to be wrong, they'll look pretty smart in the end.

I don't claim to be an expert, in fact its only been the last year or so I've even felt confident enough to state an opinion on the sport, so I welcome feedback, but thats how I'm seeing things right now. Smart decisions that hurt a little in the short term but makes the long term easier about sums it up. I'm sure we all hope I'm right whether you agree or not.
1st I am not a conspiracy guy. I also can't see management screwing up the cap and McNair not going ballistic after coming so close. I think the money is there and could have been used. I think there was no one in FA that stood out like Manning and Joseph at a dire need position for a reasonable deal. I think Mario's agent made it known to Texans relatively early he was going for the money and what little was said by team was "love to have him back at right price" knowing they were not in the game. Brown,Schaub and Barwin (to a lesser extent) were more on their mind.
Old 04-10-2012   #58
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Quote:
Disaacks, I just noticed your sig pic. I mean, isn't it time to update it? Even Texecutioner (and myself, I might add) did away with our anti-Kubiak sig pics back about November of 2011. Yours is even more outdated. LOL.

Isn't it time to devote some thought to the real discussion, rather than blathering on about my sig pic?

Don't wear out your shoulder grinding the axe here.

Don't wear out your soapbox preaching to the sheeple that the Emperor's clothes look fine indeed.

And you didn't even know who Brisiel was, or where he came from, when the season of 2011 began. Few of us did. He made a leap this past season, and he made bank off it. Now we find out who is the next Brisiel for us.

And yes, I knew full well who Brisiel was and is. His loss was felt sharply in just the few games he missed last season. Thanks for trying hard to act like a jackass and assume I didn't. That particular dog won't hunt btw.

I won't begrudge you the criticisms you levy against this team. Lord knows I had a bag full of 'em this time last year. All of you ought to know that I have had my fair share of anger and harsh criticisms on here. This year? Meh, it doesn't fit (IMO).
It does fit and you're letting ONE season with a playoff game make you forgetful of what has come before. Last year wasn't the trend, it was the exception to the trend.

Losing GOOD/Great players I can handle, losing them without any compensation or a clear replacement (of equal talent) is another thing altogether. I haven't given up, nor am I pessimistic, but until the Texans take some steps to fill suddenly GLARING holes, I'm worried about this season.

To put it all in perspective, the Texans took their salary cap lumps this year in hopes of being able to sign everybody NEXT year. They took a calculated risk that they pray doesn't backfire. The Texans FO was just as confident before the 2010 campaign, don't forget that.
Old 04-11-2012   #59
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I still want him gone. One good season where Wade Phillips came in and turned this defense into a juggernut over night doesn't erase the previous 5 seasons of ineptitude and multiple mental errors throughout games by Kubiak, Smithiak's lack of being able to fill holes in free agency other than one off season where they still skipped over an upgrade at WR that we still haven't even addressed, the defensive coordinators that Kubiak picked, and many other things.

I don't change my stance after one good season out of 6. I think that's incredibly foolish to act like he has changed as a HC because of that one good season where he should have already been gone.

Todd Haley took the Chiefs to an 11-5 season in season two taking over a horrible team. He didn't do so well last season in his 3rd year and got fired in mid season. A lot of you guys are forgetting how many bad teams pop up and have a big year only to fall back the very next season. I'm not saying that the Texans can't continue to play well. They can, but I don't see a SB team in the works. They have done nothing to improve and get better. They can still win the division, because it's a bad division currently, but they have done nothing to make themselves a top SB contender like people were expecting them to.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #60
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I still want him gone. One good season where Wade Phillips came in and turned this defense into a juggernut over night doesn't erase the previous 5 seasons of ineptitude and multiple mental errors throughout games by Kubiak, Smithiak's lack of being able to fill holes in free agency other than one off season where they still skipped over an upgrade at WR that we still haven't even addressed, the defensive coordinators that Kubiak picked, and many other things.

I don't change my stance after one good season out of 6. I think that's incredibly foolish to act like he has changed as a HC because of that one good season where he should have already been gone.

Todd Haley took the Chiefs to an 11-5 season in season two taking over a horrible team. He didn't do so well last season in his 3rd year and got fired in mid season. A lot of you guys are forgetting how many bad teams pop up and have a big year only to fall back the very next season. I'm not saying that the Texans can't continue to play well. They can, but I don't see a SB team in the works. They have done nothing to improve and get better. They can still win the division, because it's a bad division currently, but they have done nothing to make themselves a top SB contender like people were expecting them to.
Yep

This offseason has definitely reduced their margin of error.

If the Texans want to remain one of the top teams in the AFC they need to hit a homerun in the draft.

This is with Schaub being able to comeback fully healthy to start the season. (Unlikely) Imagine this defense if JoJo is hurt for any significant amount of time.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read