Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-09-2012   #81
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where and when will the Texans find their next QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Madden Covers:
VY - 1
Carr - 0
Covers for strip clubs?
Old 04-09-2012   #82
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27RR View Post
Arm strength isn't everything. He completed just 45% of his redzone passes, and is prone to being intercepted at times (multiple INTs in six games last year, lost five of those). His overall completion percentage isn't outstanding, either. He shows some promise, but probably should have stayed for one more year to work on his accuracy and decision making (and have more than 15 starts).
What are you talking about: 63% 8 per attempt, 4,036 yds, 26 TDs and 13 INTs.
Old 04-09-2012   #83
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I disagree. I think somebody will trade up and take him. Just like Jax traded up for Gabbert last year and the Vikes traded up for Ponder. With the new CBA its not as big a risk financially to do so and I think QB needy teams are going to go mad trying to find their guy.
That could happen, but I don't think it's likely. I would agree that Tannehill doesn't drop past #8 or out of the top 10 as was your original point upthread. His former HC in college is the new OC at Miami, and I just can't see them passing him up. He will be had by them or Cleveland in the top 8 for sure, regardless of whether or not his talents warrant that high of a pick. Other than Cleveland and Miami, I don't see a team within the top 15 that would be willing to actually give up a king's ransom to move into the 3-7 spot to pick him. El Tejano did a pretty good job of laying out the QB needs around the league, and I have to agree with him that most teams are set with their QBs for 2012. I'm pretty sure Miami knows that they have about a 75% chance of picking Tannehill at #8 right now. Only way I see them jumping up is if Cleveland trades down to 5/6/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I tried to rep you but this damn thing won't let me.
It's broken because my rep is so high that it can't take any more. If I get any more rep the server will have to divide by zero and it will cause the forum to implode.
Old 04-09-2012   #84
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
63% overall doesn't mean his redzone % didn't suck, the 13 INTs were in some bad games. Overall numbers don't always tell the whole story, and 63% overall isn't outstanding. Most guys lose something like 5-10% going from college to pros, meaning he projects to just 53%-58% in the pros.

He has potential, but he could have benfitted from some more starts before going to the draft.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #85
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

People that are actually clamoring for TJ Yates really shouldn't ever clown on guys like Gabbert or Tebow, or talk about about veteran QB's like Flacco or Jason Campbell, because that's about as good as Yates will ever have the potential to be.

If Yates was on the Jags or the Titans people would be laughing like hell at the guy.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #86
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dallas (8-8) Got other needs
Dallas is my pick for who will go after Tannehill.

Jerry makes a move to push Romo to greatness or off the cliff to the rocky surf below.
Old 04-09-2012   #87
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
63% overall doesn't mean his redzone % didn't suck, the 13 INTs were in some bad games. Overall numbers don't always tell the whole story, and 63% overall isn't outstanding. Most guys lose something like 5-10% going from college to pros, meaning he projects to just 53%-58% in the pros.

He has potential, but he could have benfitted from some more starts before going to the draft.
Many are predicting Tannehill to go top 8 and he has 61.6% & TDs to INTs almost exactly same.
Old 04-09-2012   #88
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Madden Covers:
VY - 1
Carr - 0
I wish it was 1-1... Only HWSNBN's cover was 2002 thru 2006.
Old 04-09-2012   #89
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Many are predicting Tannehill to go top 8 and he has 61.6% & TDs to INTs almost exactly same.
I know, but he shouldn't be going that high. He's going based more on potential than well-proven, top eight talent, and because a team will be desperate enough to draft him that high. He should be late first at best to mid-second based on his actual performance to date, but we always see QBs overdrafted and you wind up with people having years like Gabbert. (Not saying he'll be Gabbert, just making a point)

Old 04-09-2012   #90
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I know, but he shouldn't be going that high. He's going based more on potential than well-proven, top eight talent, and because a team will be desperate enough to draft him that high. He should be late first at best to mid-second based on his actual performance to date, but we always see QBs overdrafted and you wind up with people having years like Gabbert. (Not saying he'll be Gabbert, just making a point)
Tannehil will go first round but I agree he should be mid second at best. I have Osweiler in 3rd.
Old 04-09-2012   #91
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why?? Top 8 QB's? Or a top eight pick in the first round?

I've seen where some folks have Tannehill going in the second round, at the highest. Meaning he will be picked around the 8th QB in this draft, but definitely not a first rounder. This coming from an Aggie (Coog, Bearkat, Terrapin, Game **** and whatever the hell Central Texas State's mascot is)...

*EDIT*
YES, I redefined "transient student"!
Old 04-10-2012   #92
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Why?? Top 8 QB's? Or a top eight pick in the first round?

I've seen where some folks have Tannehill going in the second round, at the highest. Meaning he will be picked around the 8th QB in this draft, but definitely not a first rounder. This coming from an Aggie (Coog, Bearkat, Terrapin, Game **** and whatever the hell Central Texas State's mascot is)...

*EDIT*
YES, I redefined "transient student"!
Some recent mocks have him going to Miami early in the first round. Way too high to me. Some talk is out there about Cleveland, too. (Can't see them using their 4th, but you never know, maybe their 22nd)

(Example: both McShay and Kiper are putting him at 8 with Miami, FWIW)

Old 04-10-2012   #93
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Quote:
Tannehil will go first round but I agree he should be mid second at best. I have Osweiler in 3rd.
A 3rd for Osweiler wouldn't surprise me.

Old 04-10-2012   #94
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Some recent mocks have him going to Miami early in the first round. Way too high to me. Some talk is out there about Cleveland, too. (Can't see them using their 4th, but you never know, maybe their 22nd)

(Example: both McShay and Kiper are putting him at 8 with Miami, FWIW)
I mean no offense to Ryan, but if true, Miami and Cleveland are desperate.
Old 04-10-2012   #95
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry Jones could very well select Tannehill and attempt to make a QB "steal of the draft."

He has to be concerned about Romo's inability to consistently win games and lift the team to new heights. This could be Jerry's chance to take a QB and have an escape plan if Romo falters in 2012.
Old 04-10-2012   #96
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Jerry Jones could very well select Tannehill and attempt to make a QB "steal of the draft."

He has to be concerned about Romo's inability to consistently win games and lift the team to new heights. This could be Jerry's chance to take a QB and have an escape plan if Romo falters in 2012.
While increasing Nacho sales amongst the natives.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #97
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I thunk Orton was skeletor's parachute.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #98
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
It's nice to see someone else who likes Osweiler. He can probably be had in the third and should be seriously considered. He has every tool you can want in your QB and will be much more accurate after Kubiak works out the kinks in his footwork. He is the third best QB in this draft in my opinion. He made some bad decisions but was asked to carry a bad team. Tannehill made as many if not more bad decisions on a much more talented team with better skill players.
The way I see it, Osweiler will have a hard time adjusting to the NFL.

He played in the shotgun spread at ASU.
He's too tall, and that will be a serious disadvantage switching to the Texans WCO.
The way Myers snaps the ball, Schaub had to get down really low to get it.
Osweiler will have a big problem there.

Osweiler is a turnover machine because he's so big; there's just a lot of surface for defenders to hit him causing several fumbles. The hitting is not going to lessen in the NFL.

He's a good athlete for his size, but he's a bit clumsy for the NFL.

I like neither him, nor Tannehill, but IMHO, the later has better potential than the former.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #99
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Arm strength isn't everything. He completed just 45% of his redzone passes, and is prone to being intercepted at times (multiple INTs in six games last year, lost five of those). His overall completion percentage isn't outstanding, either. He shows some promise, but probably should have stayed for one more year to work on his accuracy and decision making (and have more than 15 starts).
Quote:
Quote:

Read post #31 and #32 in this thread:
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=91020&page=2

Osweiler in the shotgun spread was similar to Weeden.
A lot of his throws were behind the LOS or short passes within 7 yards of the LOS. These made for easier completions as opposed to Tannehill in a pro-style offense.

Also, don't forget that in the NFL, the QB has to throw from tight space (there are plenty of time when he can't step up the pocket); Osweiler will have problem in this area as well. His height/length works to his disadvantage here.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #100
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The way I see it, Osweiler will have a hard time adjusting to the NFL.

He played in the shotgun spread at ASU.
He's too tall, and that will be a serious disadvantage switching to the Texans WCO.
The way Myers snaps the ball, Schaub had to get down really low to get it.
Osweiler will have a big problem there.

Osweiler is a turnover machine because he's so big; there's just a lot of surface for defenders to hit him causing several fumbles. The hitting is not going to lessen in the NFL.

He's a good athlete for his size, but he's a bit clumsy for the NFL.

I like neither him, nor Tannehill, but IMHO, the later has better potential than the former.
Osweiler is bigger and with a big arm........which if you watched him, he had a consistent problem with overthrowing his receivers.....short or long. He would never fit the Texans offense. If you think that Schaub is immobile..........imagine Schaub running a bootleg on stilts...........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read