Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-08-2012   #61
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where and when will the Texans find their next QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
The consensus is that he has the strongest arm in the draft. Over RG3 or Luck, etc.
Arm strength isn't everything. He completed just 45% of his redzone passes, and is prone to being intercepted at times (multiple INTs in six games last year, lost five of those). His overall completion percentage isn't outstanding, either. He shows some promise, but probably should have stayed for one more year to work on his accuracy and decision making (and have more than 15 starts).

Image courtesy of False Start

Last edited by G27RR; 04-08-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #62
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You let the guy at least get past his rookie year before before you decide that he can't read a defense. I know some you hate Kubiak's guts, but at least give the man some credit in determining if a QB has what it takes. And I bet he places the ability to read a defense at the top of the list above strength, accuracy, mobility, and everything else. He was forced to swallow David Carr for an entire season, so that alone makes me think he's not going to be that patient. It won't take him long to figure out if Yates has it or not.
Forced?! from my understanding they were gonna draft a QB and gary said no dont draft a qb yet bc i think i can make this guy a decent qb.. im 100% sure he said that!
BattleRedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #63
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedRock View Post
Forced?! from my understanding they were gonna draft a QB and gary said no dont draft a qb yet bc i think i can make this guy a decent qb.. im 100% sure he said that!
What anal orifice did you pull that out of? Carr was McNair's boy, and he was the one who signed Carr to the extension. Kubiak went along with it so he could get the job.

****! We're not going to go there again, are we?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #64
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

It's nice to see someone else who likes Osweiler. He can probably be had in the third and should be seriously considered. He has every tool you can want in your QB and will be much more accurate after Kubiak works out the kinks in his footwork. He is the third best QB in this draft in my opinion. He made some bad decisions but was asked to carry a bad team. Tannehill made as many if not more bad decisions on a much more talented team with better skill players.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You let the guy at least get past his rookie year before before you decide that he can't read a defense. I know some you hate Kubiak's guts, but at least give the man some credit in determining if a QB has what it takes. And I bet he places the ability to read a defense at the top of the list above strength, accuracy, mobility, and everything else. He was forced to swallow David Carr for an entire season, so that alone makes me think he's not going to be that patient. It won't take him long to figure out if Yates has it or not.
Just curious, how was Gary forced to swallow Carr? Kubiak told McNair he could work with David. Even if we are to believe that Kubiak thought that was his way to get the job, it was his choice.
Old 04-08-2012   #66
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just curious, how was Gary forced to swallow Carr? Kubiak told McNair he could work with David. Even if we are to believe that Kubiak thought that was his way to get the job, it was his choice.
Would you like to be shot through the head or through the heart? It was his choice becomes an absurd argument at times.
Old 04-08-2012   #67
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Where and when will the Texans find their next QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Would you like to be shot through the head or through the heart? It was his choice becomes an absurd argument at times.
I vote HEAD SHOT for whoever brought up "that name" again and turned this into another HWSNBN thread!

Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2012   #68
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I vote HEAD SHOT for whoever brought up "that name" again and turned this into another HWSNBN thread!

Agreed... let's not let this thread degenerate into yet another HWSNBN argument
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #69
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

HWSNBN???

David Carr or Vince Young or Ryan "I love my Oxi-cotton" Leaf?????
Old 04-08-2012   #70
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
HWSNBN???

David Carr or Vince Young or Ryan "I love my Oxi-cotton" Leaf?????
Has Carr had a better pro career than VY?
Old 04-08-2012   #71
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Has Carr had a better pro career than VY?
Super Bowl rings:
Carr - 1
VY -none

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #72
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27RR View Post
Super Bowl rings:
Carr - 1
VY -none
Madden Covers:
VY - 1
Carr - 0
Old 04-08-2012   #73
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Madden Covers:
VY - 1
Carr - 0
1st , 2nd , and a 3rd .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #74
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Tannehill drops and Kubiak gets an Aggie Boner and we get our next QB.
Old 04-09-2012   #75
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I think Tannehill drops and Kubiak gets an Aggie Boner and we get our next QB.
No chance he drops out of the top 10. Some QB desperate team is going to leverage their entire future on him.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #76
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
No chance he drops out of the top 10. Some QB desperate team is going to leverage their entire future on him.
That may happen, or it may not.

The NFL tends to go on trends based on prior years.

A lot of teams reached on QB's last year that may not become franchise guys, so I wouldn't be surprised to see teams go in the opposite direction this year.

Last year was kind of rare with 3 QB's going in the top 10 and 4 in the top 12.Yes it happens, but more often than not it doesn't.

I would not be surprised to see a lot of these teams that have shown interest in Tannehill pass him up with their first round picks and try to trade back up into the first like the Browns did for Brady Quinn.

I think it's very likely he goes in the top half of the draft, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he fell. Look at Rodgers when Alex Smith was taken with the #1.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #77
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Ummm, what? If the Dolphins take him with the 8th pick, I wouldn't call it their entire future. It's one pick, and no one is trading their whole draft to move up and get him at #3.
Old 04-09-2012   #78
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That may happen, or it may not.

The NFL tends to go on trends based on prior years.

A lot of teams reached on QB's last year that may not become franchise guys, so I wouldn't be surprised to see teams go in the opposite direction this year.

Last year was kind of rare with 3 QB's going in the top 10 and 4 in the top 12.Yes it happens, but more often than not it doesn't.

I would not be surprised to see a lot of these teams that have shown interest in Tannehill pass him up with their first round picks and try to trade back up into the first like the Browns did for Brady Quinn.

I think it's very likely he goes in the top half of the draft, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he fell. Look at Rodgers when Alex Smith was taken with the #1.
I agree with this. Alot of the QB hungry teams might just wait and see because there will still be some good talent in the 2nd round on those QBs and Tannehill could fall for that reason alone.

Indianapolis (2-14) Going with Luck
Washington - from St. Louis (2-14) Most likely getting RG3
Minnesota (3-13) Already drafted QB round 1 laster year

Cleveland (4-12) Already have Colt and may go after a RB or WR to add to Colt.

Tampa Bay (4-12) Got their QB in Freeman.

St. Louis - from Washington (5-11) Already got a QB

Jacksonville (5-11) Possibly but they already drafted a QB last year and got an investment in him. They most likely could go for a WR.

Miami (6-10) Matt Moore played well for them and they could afford to wait til the 2nd round. I could see them adding a WR now they lost Marshall.
Carolina (6-10) Cam Newton

Buffalo (6-10) They just paid boat loads for their current QB

Kansas City (7-9) Cassel is who they like.

Seattle (7-9) Matt Flynn

Arizona (8-8) Kolb and the 2nd stringer are going to battle it out.

Dallas (8-8) Got other needs

Philadelphia (8-8) Got other needs

New York Jets (8-8) If you don't know who they have, you don't need to watch football anymore.

Cincinnati - from Oakland (8-8) They got their QB

San Diego (8-8) Rivers

Chicago (8-8) Cutler

Tennessee (9-7) Locker and Hasselbeck

Cincinnati* (9-7)They got their QB

Cleveland - from Atlanta* (10-6) [color="blue"]If he falls here, Cleveland could still take him but you have to assume that if Kendall Wright is still here, they go ahead and take him after drafting Trent Richardson earlier and take a gamble in the 2nd for Tannehill and settle for Weeden if they have to.[/COLOR

]Detroit* (10-6) They got their QBs

Pittsburgh* (12-4)

Denver* (8-8) Well again, if you don't know who their QB is now, please stop watching football.

Houston* (10-6) Former Aggie QB as the head coach, smiling, a GM who is trying to clear cap space for next year with a huge contract pending for his current starting QB who has an injury that I believe noone is sure of and the possibility that he could get hurt, yet again, and would be stuck having to settle for Yates again if he doesn't pick up a QB now.

I'm sorry but he could very easily fall out of the top 15.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #79
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ummm, what? If the Dolphins take him with the 8th pick, I wouldn't call it their entire future.

The Dolphins have a serviceable QB right now in Matt Moore. If they take Tannehill, sure its one pick, but they will give him the keys right away and let him go whether he's ready or not. If he is then congrats you got your QB, if he's not they will work with him for 3-4 years before admitting it and moving on. Either way, if you take him you're leveraging quite a bit on him being "the guy". If he's not then you just wasted the last 4-5 years and have to start. Sure it's not their "entire future" but I think you know what I mean.

It's one pick, and no one is trading their whole draft to move up and get him at #3.

I disagree. I think somebody will trade up and take him. Just like Jax traded up for Gabbert last year and the Vikes traded up for Ponder. With the new CBA its not as big a risk financially to do so and I think QB needy teams are going to go mad trying to find their guy.
^^^

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #80
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ummm, what? If the Dolphins take him with the 8th pick, I wouldn't call it their entire future. It's one pick, and no one is trading their whole draft to move up and get him at #3.
I tried to rep you but this damn thing won't let me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read