Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-06-2012   #41
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where and when will the Texans find their next QB

A lot of folks around here were really big on that Vince Young guy awhile back...
Old 04-06-2012   #42
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
A lot of folks around here were really big on that Vince Young guy awhile back...

That was just to obvious.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #43
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates.

People don't want to mess with it, because of the incomplete picture of his 2011 season, but that's fine. He will be the guy in 2012.

Keenum will go in Round 2. Some team will pass on him in the 1st, then pull an Andy Reid and go all "Kevin Kolb" on him in the 2nd. I think a lot of teams are sure he'll slip to the 2nd round...so they feel they can go another route in round 1 and use the 2nd round pick on him.

This is why he's not traveling up anybody's mock boards. It's why he's under the radar. Nobody wants to slip up and show interest in him. You don't stare all glossy-eyed and begin drooling when you see you landed quads on the flop...everybody at the table will fold and you lost a lot of extra money. Teams will wait until the 2nd and hope like hell he's there at their round 2 spot.

Trust me. I'm an expert.
Old 04-07-2012   #44
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Yates.

People don't want to mess with it, because of the incomplete picture of his 2011 season, but that's fine. He will be the guy in 2012.

Keenum will go in Round 2. Some team will pass on him in the 1st, then pull an Andy Reid and go all "Kevin Kolb" on him in the 2nd. I think a lot of teams are sure he'll slip to the 2nd round...so they feel they can go another route in round 1 and use the 2nd round pick on him.

This is why he's not traveling up anybody's mock boards. It's why he's under the radar. Nobody wants to slip up and show interest in him. You don't stare all glossy-eyed and begin drooling when you see you landed quads on the flop...everybody at the table will fold and you lost a lot of extra money. Teams will wait until the 2nd and hope like hell he's there at their round 2 spot.

Trust me. I'm an expert.
"Expert" you say....

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #45
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I agree. Now that he's 2nd string he'll get some reps. in practice, along with more experience. I think if he's given a real chance then he has the possibility to be our starter of the future. I think way to many times coaches/organizations prejudge what a players potential is based on where they're drafted and late round guys don't get that real chance to grow and succeed.
The same applies to people never giving a guy a chance because he drafted solely with the purpose of being a backup in this league. It usually ends with failure, such as Kevin Kolb and Charlie Whitehurst. Sometimes, it's a success, such as Matt Schaub. We'll see how it goes with Matt Flynn. I don't think it's the coaches and organisations that prejudice a player's potential at all. In fact, I think it's the fans.

I unfortunately was not on the forums when Schaub was first acquired from Atlanta, but I get the feeling that even then, people poo-poo'ed the move. The guy has far outplayed his expected potential and has practically outplayed 3/4's of the league, yet it still is nowhere near good enough for a lot of Texan fans. Insane. I'm thoroughly convinced that this fan base has the harshest standards of quarterback grading of any team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Good god no.

Yates was terrible. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know he was a rookie that was thrown into the fire, but everyone would have laughed at any other team that was going to make him their starter or make him their guy for the future. Yates may be capable of being a starter one day, but he'll be one of those QB's that is around 20-32 in the league as far as full time starters go.

We need to find the closest thing we can to an elite QB. We need to do "better" than Schaub the next time around. Not worse, and Yates will never be a multi year top 10 type of QB.
Thank you for bringing a shred of sanity here. I've been on record as perhaps being Schaub's biggest defender, but even I can understand the arguments of why some won't consider him as an elite quarterback in this league (I do consider him elite, but alas). There's nothing wrong with upgrading at any position, but the desperation to find the next "Joe Montana / Tom Brady" is almost nauseating.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #46
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14478 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

deping on his health and how he plays Schaub is our QB of the future srsy he could play till his late 30's for us maybe even 39 ,40
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #47
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

2011 draft, 5th round. TJ Yates. The next guy comes around in 2023 in the 5th round.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2012   #48
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I read/write posts in this thread like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
well this type of injury has been career threatening in many cases, we still dont know how schaub will respond once he is fully healed.. not sure if hes already had the screws removed from his foot yet, maybe he has. arthritis in the foot is a common occurrence and pain when walking. if he is unable to push off his plant foot than he could become quite useless.. we still have a ways to go before were sure what schaub can do..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Huh?

There have been several players whose careers were ended by lisfranc injuries (Duce Staley and Eric Rhett come to mind and I also think Warrick Dunn). Couple that with the fact that the injury occurred on his plant foot and there is the possibility that he won't ever be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Too many fans are just blindly thinking Schaub will be right back to 100% normal. The type of injury Schaub sustained has ended some careers. Its much worse for a pro athlete especially a qb's plant foot. To just blindly count on Schaub to be 100% next season would be foolish and I hope the Texans medical staff relays this to the coaching staff and f/o. There needs to be a plan B in place for a worst case scenario. That means the Texans will need to either draft a qb or sign a free agent.

I hope Schaub comes back and plays at the level where he left off prior to the injury. But if he isn't able to or plays poorly are you ready for a full season of TJ and some street scrub. I'm not. And this year is one tough schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Like I've said before regarding Schaub, I'll pay no attention to what they say, but I will pay attention to what they do.

I'm fairly certain that they will take a QB in this year's draft, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them take one early. Not because Kubiak has lost confidence in Yates. It's Schaub that will drive this.

And then see these posts in the exact same thread like :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think our QB of the future is still gonna be Schaub. I think he'll play out a new 3 or 4 year contract starting next season. His injury isn't career threatening and if he has to miss a bit of time this year i'm confident enough in Yates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
schaub is just 30 yrs old and thats even a young 30 with the lack of throws schaub has had to make compared to his draft classmates like eli,rivers (bar his rookie season) and big ben who have been starting day 1.... barring serious injury, hes playing out his next contract here at least so bring this thread back in about 5 yrs..

thats alot of time to groom a successor if we dont already have the homemade 'schaub option' right here on the roster already witha playoff W already to his name
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
deping on his health and how he plays Schaub is our QB of the future srsy he could play till his late 30's for us maybe even 39 ,40

And I wonder where the latter gets the sunshine from. I can understand being optimistic and all but the type of lisfranc injury that Schaub sustained is very serious. There has to be a backup plan in place just in case he can't play at the same level as he once did or even worse never play again. You can't just blindly believe the information that comes from Texans. Research some of CloakNNNdagger's posts on this subject. There is a post on page 2 of this thread with some links about lisfranc injuries. I'm not trying to paint a dark picture here but one of caution. You Schaub sunshiners could be extremely disappointed if he can never return to the same preinjury qb he was. I'm hoping for the best for Schaub because he is one of the good guys.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #49
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
And I wonder where the latter gets the sunshine from. I can understand being optimistic and all but the type of lisfranc injury that Schaub sustained is very serious. There has to be a backup plan in place just in case he can't play at the same level as he once did or even worse never play again. You can't just blindly believe the information that comes from Texans. Research some of CloakNNNdagger's posts on this subject. There is a post on page 2 of this thread with some links about lisfranc injuries. I'm not trying to paint a dark picture here but one of caution. You Schaub sunshiners could be extremely disappointed if he can never return to the same preinjury qb he was. I'm hoping for the best for Schaub because he is one of the good guys.
Which brings us back full circle to my original question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
One thing that the AFC blogger may be correct about is that the other three teams in our division are starting to prepare, QB-wise, for the future. Schaub probably has two, maybe three more productive years. In the out years, 2014, 2015... When Luck and Locker have been seasoned by a couple of years "under fire" and are starting to come into their own (that's the worse case scenario for us - best case for us is they're both busts), who is the guy the Texans answer with? Do you really think that Yates is that guy? Will we take a flyer on Keenan? Someone else?

The changing of the guard at the QB position in the AFC South is underway. Are we ready for that future or will we be scrambling in a 2-3 years to catch up?
We'll roll with Schaub for the near term - hopefully he's back to 90-100% - but we need to groom his understudy/replacement. Speaking frankly, I'm not convinced it's Yates.

If I'm wrong and Yates blossoms into a solid, first tier QB, then Yaaay us! If not.... I'm just saying we need to be working on a Plan B.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 04-07-2012 at 11:43 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #50
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 190768 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were the GM and thought I had QB issues ( which they might ) I'd target Brock Osweiler in the 2nd .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #51
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
I still think this guy could be the future with more experience in Kubiak's offense...

I got to agree but can you bank on that? He did show some real problems reading defenses. I think at the vary earliest he is 1 yr away probably two and I 'm not sure that he will ever turn out to be what we would like him to be. Look at HWWNBN he had all the talent and physical gifts but dude couldn't read a defense.
Old 04-07-2012   #52
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
If I were the GM and thought I had QB issues ( which they might ) I'd target Brock Osweiler in the 2nd .
To be honest, I see nothing special about Osweiler. He's 6'8 and is a pretty good athlete, that's about it. I see nothing special about his arm or his game that tells me he's a future starter.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #53
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 190768 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
To be honest, I see nothing special about Osweiler. He's 6'8 and is a pretty good athlete, that's about it. I see nothing special about his arm or his game that tells me he's a future starter.
I think he has above average arm strength . He has supposedly refined his mechanics which he unveiled at his pro day . I've watched a little bit of him and believe he's the only prospect on the ASU offense .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PowlDsL321Y

If anything at least he recognizes he needs work as opposed to HWNSNBM or VY .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #54
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80tothezone View Post
I got to agree but can you bank on that? He did show some real problems reading defenses. I think at the vary earliest he is 1 yr away probably two and I 'm not sure that he will ever turn out to be what we would like him to be. Look at HWWNBN he had all the talent and physical gifts but dude couldn't read a defense.
You let the guy at least get past his rookie year before before you decide that he can't read a defense. I know some you hate Kubiak's guts, but at least give the man some credit in determining if a QB has what it takes. And I bet he places the ability to read a defense at the top of the list above strength, accuracy, mobility, and everything else. He was forced to swallow David Carr for an entire season, so that alone makes me think he's not going to be that patient. It won't take him long to figure out if Yates has it or not.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #55
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a good thread and has some good posts on it. I've been thinking about this situation for some time and wondering how it will all play out. My guess is that Kubes will draft another QB this year possibly in the later rounds for development. If someone like Nick Foles falls to the 4th or 5th, they may go for him, or someone like him. But is this the long term answer? I don't think so. The long term answer will only come in to view when Schaub has been cut or retired. How long that will be nobody knows at this point. It may be a year or 10 years, who knows. But I think as long as Schaub can do the job Kubes wants him to do I don't think they go after a QB in rounds 1 and 2.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #56
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread makes me think that if Ryan Tannehill falls to us some how, Kubiak is going to see a QB from A&M and get an erection, and Smith is going to remember how fun it was to be gangsta this offseason as he goes over how much money he can save on Schaub next offseason if Schaub doesn't get us to at least the AFC Championship, while Bob Mcnair starts to think of how he can win back the hometown fans by drafting a familiar QB face from A&M
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #57
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
If that is the case we are doomed as a franchise. I would be highly surprised to see Matt get extended at all. More likely if he shows signs of life they trade him for a mid-rouind pick next year. If a miracle happened and he can play day one and has a great year, and lets say hypothetically wins the SuperBowl ... I still wouldnt give him more than a two year deal. He wont stay healthy.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #58
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I like this kid. You cant teach 6'8" and he has a rocket for an arm. Raw but would be a nice project. Let Yates have the reigns while Schaub is recovering and we are determining whether he will be able to come back at full speed, or at all. Have Osweiler as our #3 learning the system. I think however, he may still be there in the 3rd.
Old 04-08-2012   #59
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I see nothing special about his arm
The consensus is that he has the strongest arm in the draft. Over RG3 or Luck, etc.
Old 04-08-2012   #60
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
This thread makes me think that if Ryan Tannehill falls to us some how, Kubiak is going to see a QB from A&M and get an erection, and Smith is going to remember how fun it was to be gangsta this offseason as he goes over how much money he can save on Schaub next offseason if Schaub doesn't get us to at least the AFC Championship, while Bob Mcnair starts to think of how he can win back the hometown fans by drafting a familiar QB face from A&M
No way Tannehill falls, he goes top 10 probably, for sure top 15.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read