Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-05-2012   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where and when will the Texans find their next QB

I like Keenum. I don't get the lak of arm strength stuff...

The games I watched he had good zip on his balls...

I think he'd excel in an offense like ours. Not sure I would spend a 3rd round pick on him, but a 5th or later, sure.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #22
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, it happens. I mean c'mon, isn't your man-crush on Mike Martin partly because he's from Michigan? We could probably put together an entire mock of several poster's favorite homer picks.
Probably has something to do with it. If he didn't go to Michigan, then I wouldn't know so much about him. That said, I was onto him before the hype train started (Senior Bowl + Combine), even as early as last year I was talking him up.

I was calling him a 2nd round pick last year when nobody knew who he was and boom 1 year later he's projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick. Non-UM fans have seen his ability. Only UH fans are calling Keenum a sleeper or diamond in the rough.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #23
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I'm not biased. I'm a UT fan. Dude put up some good numbers and he was getting hit alot in the process. I also saw one of his interviews and I like what I saw from him as far as determined to prove people wrong. I feel he would be a safe QB to pick right now because he has upside and he doesn't have to be even a 2nd stringer right now.

That said, I recall when Rudy Carpenter came in to Reliant and he looked pretty good. I know people are thinking he is a career back up but I think he has talent for what we are looking for and the only reason he hasn't gotten a chance is because Josh Freeman did so well his rookie season.

I also wouldn't mind going after a guy like Russel Wilson from Wisconsin.
I don't really care about numbers when it comes to Keenum. We all know what the UH offense is and isn't. His production tells me he's capable and that's it. And I like what I see from his as far as attitude and intelligence as well, but I don't see a starting caliber Quarterback when I watch him. I see a solid backup option and there's nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't mind taking Keenum this year if we're content to let Schaub go next year and roll with Yates. I think Yates has the potential to be a solid starting QB, not a star or anything, but a solid game manager who can get the job done. I could see Keenum as that solid backup behind him.

Not a fan of Carpenter. Good players go undrafted all the time, but QB's don't usually go undrafted out of BCS schools and then hit it big. If you're a lower level guy like Romo was then okay, but if you don't get drafted out of Arizona State as a multi-year starter then it's for a reason.

I like Wilson, but he's very raw. He has a very good arm, but his size is an issue. Size is overrated as far as a deterring factor for a QB, but in his case I see it as a problem. He's way shorter than the short guys who play QB (Brees is the prime example). I see him as a system fit QB. Flutie is really the only guy his size to ever have some success in the NFL and that was after he washed out of the league, had a stint in the CFL, and then came back.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #24
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Too many fans are just blindly thinking Schaub will be right back to 100% normal. The type of injury Schaub sustained has ended some careers. Its much worse for a pro athlete especially a qb's plant foot. To just blindly count on Schaub to be 100% next season would be foolish and I hope the Texans medical staff relays this to the coaching staff and f/o. There needs to be a plan B in place for a worst case scenario. That means the Texans will need to either draft a qb or sign a free agent.

I hope Schaub comes back and plays at the level where he left off prior to the injury. But if he isn't able to or plays poorly are you ready for a full season of TJ and some street scrub. I'm not. And this year is one tough schedule.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I don't really care about numbers when it comes to Keenum. We all know what the UH offense is and isn't. His production tells me he's capable and that's it. And I like what I see from his as far as attitude and intelligence as well, but I don't see a starting caliber Quarterback when I watch him. I see a solid backup option and there's nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't mind taking Keenum this year if we're content to let Schaub go next year and roll with Yates. I think Yates has the potential to be a solid starting QB, not a star or anything, but a solid game manager who can get the job done. I could see Keenum as that solid backup behind him.

Not a fan of Carpenter. Good players go undrafted all the time, but QB's don't usually go undrafted out of BCS schools and then hit it big. If you're a lower level guy like Romo was then okay, but if you don't get drafted out of Arizona State as a multi-year starter then it's for a reason.

I like Wilson, but he's very raw. He has a very good arm, but his size is an issue. Size is overrated as far as a deterring factor for a QB, but in his case I see it as a problem. He's way shorter than the short guys who play QB (Brees is the prime example). I see him as a system fit QB. Flutie is really the only guy his size to ever have some success in the NFL and that was after he washed out of the league, had a stint in the CFL, and then came back.
Solid feedback. I'd go with Keenum in the 5th too. I'm not spending a high pick on him so that to me would make him worth it.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not biased. I'm a UT fan. Dude put up some good numbers and he was getting hit alot in the process. I also saw one of his interviews and I like what I saw from him as far as determined to prove people wrong. I feel he would be a safe QB to pick right now because he has upside and he doesn't have to be even a 2nd stringer right now.

That said, I recall when Rudy Carpenter came in to Reliant and he looked pretty good. I know people are thinking he is a career back up but I think he has talent for what we are looking for and the only reason he hasn't gotten a chance is because Josh Freeman did so well his rookie season.

I also wouldn't mind going after a guy like Russel Wilson from Wisconsin.
It's kinda funny that two of the shortest QBs in this class are the ones that performed the best under pressure. (Kirk Cousins also did pretty well.)

I have yet to reviewed enough of Wilson's tapes (I prefer to watch at least 8 games of a prospect before I render my final judgment), but after 4 games or so, I can see that he's a good one.

When people said that Keenum played in the CUSA, they automatically think that Keenum played against poor defense.
Well, let me say something, a poor defense is one who couldn't pressure the QB enough to save their secondaries' life.
The Cougars line is not very good; therefore, Keenum found himself under pressure a whole lot more than other QBs.

Against a common offense with Andrew Luck (UCLA), for example, Luck hardly saw any pressure (due to the effectiveness of his O-line) while Keenum was under pressure all day.
Yet, Keenum still had a great day, going 30-40 (including a few drop balls and throw-aways due to pressure) for 310 yards and 2TDs.
Luck was 23-27 for 223 yards and 3 TDs.
The numbers are very comparable, but one was doing it without pressure while the other faced constant pressure.

It's the same story when you look back at Keenum's whole career.
He faced common opponents with guys like RG III, Weeden, Dalton, etc. and put up comparable or better numbers under more pressure.

If you're going to draft Luck at number one overall, then Keenum definitely merrits at least a third down grade.

BTW, I've seen both Wilson and Keenum throw at least 50 yards from the LOS, and that's farther than I've ever seen Schaub threw the ball (47 yards).
I've also seen Yates threw 50 yards.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #27
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It's kinda funny that two of the shortest QBs in this class are the ones that performed the best under pressure. (Kirk Cousins also did pretty well.)

I have yet to reviewed enough of Wilson's tapes (I prefer to watch at least 8 games of a prospect before I render my final judgment), but after 4 games or so, I can see that he's a good one.

The other thing is I've seen a real leader in Wilson. This guy came on to Wisconsin and turned their season around. I want a leader on the team and that is what Wilson was. It also don't hurt that every badger we've drafted has made our team or been a real impact to the team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2012   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The other thing is I've seen a real leader in Wilson. This guy came on to Wisconsin and turned their season around. I want a leader on the team and that is what Wilson was. It also don't hurt that every badger we've drafted has made our team or been a real impact to the team.
I like Wilson a lot.
Even though I have yet to complete reviewing his tapes; the fact that he faced good to decent pass defense day-in and day-out wasn't lost on me.

Wilson was helped by a great offensive line and a great running game, but he did very well on his own accord just the same. I was very impressed with him and wouldn't mind the Texans taking a shot at him either... But he's even shorter and smaller than Keenum... he makes Keenum looks like a giant, LOL!

Kellen Moore, on the other hand, isn't of the same caliber as these two.
Old 04-05-2012   #29
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

BBB!

Bring Bucky Back!

Old 04-05-2012   #30
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Too many fans are just blindly thinking Schaub will be right back to 100% normal. The type of injury Schaub sustained has ended some careers. Its much worse for a pro athlete especially a qb's plant foot. To just blindly count on Schaub to be 100% next season would be foolish and I hope the Texans medical staff relays this to the coaching staff and f/o. There needs to be a plan B in place for a worst case scenario. That means the Texans will need to either draft a qb or sign a free agent.

I hope Schaub comes back and plays at the level where he left off prior to the injury. But if he isn't able to or plays poorly are you ready for a full season of TJ and some street scrub. I'm not. And this year is one tough schedule.
Ive never heard of it ending careers. Who's career was ended from this injury?
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #31
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
BBB!

Bring Bucky Back!

All for it!
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He's right here in Houston.
I'm not totally sold on TJ (even though I think he may have a shot).
I'm talking about my homie Case Keenum at UH.
IMHO, he's the best QB in this draft class.
If he's about 2 inches taller and some 15 lbs more in muscle, I would rate him as the #1 prospect this year.

And don't think he doesn't fit in Kubiak's offense.
Tomorrow, hopefully I will have time to put up some stuffs in the Keenum's film study thread (college football section).
It will show Keenum operating out of the ZBS, in play action, from under center.

In my homerism, I would take him in the Texans slot in the second round, but I would be absolutely thrilled if we take him in the third.

The smartest QB I've seen in quite a while.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=89651&page=3

The link to the vid is up; check post #53 in that thread.
Old 04-05-2012   #33
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In my homerism, I would take him in the Texans slot in the second round, but I would be absolutely thrilled if we take him in the third.
Most talking heads are saying he goes un-drafted and has to join a camp as an UDFA.
Old 04-05-2012   #34
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Ive never heard of it ending careers. Who's career was ended from this injury?
Here are a few links. You can search some more on your own and probably find a lot more information or hopefully Cloak will weigh in on this again for those that have missed his posts about it.

click the box to the right of the paragraph to read the article.
http://www.mendeley.com/research/lis...ies-in-sport/#

Only saw 1 career ending on this older list
http://lisfrancnews.blogspot.com/

more info
http://odlarmed.com/?p=3451
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Most talking heads are saying he goes un-drafted and has to join a camp as an UDFA.
Most talking heads thought Gabbert was a sure-fire high first rounder!
Old 04-05-2012   #36
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
I still think this guy could be the future with more experience in Kubiak's offense...

Good god no.

Yates was terrible. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know he was a rookie that was thrown into the fire, but everyone would have laughed at any other team that was going to make him their starter or make him their guy for the future. Yates may be capable of being a starter one day, but he'll be one of those QB's that is around 20-32 in the league as far as full time starters go.

We need to find the closest thing we can to an elite QB. We need to do "better" than Schaub the next time around. Not worse, and Yates will never be a multi year top 10 type of QB.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #37
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Good god no.

Yates was terrible. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know he was a rookie that was thrown into the fire, but everyone would have laughed at any other team that was going to make him their starter or make him their guy for the future. Yates may be capable of being a starter one day, but he'll be one of those QB's that is around 20-32 in the league as far as full time starters go.

We need to find the closest thing we can to an elite QB. We need to do "better" than Schaub the next time around. Not worse, and Yates will never be a multi year top 10 type of QB.
Wonder what it would take to get Mallet from the Pats?
Old 04-06-2012   #38
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Where and when will the Texans find their next QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
I still think this guy could be the future with more experience in Kubiak's offense...

Yates has something special. He showed me some grit and determination.......maybe he could be our Brady in a couple of years.....you never know......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #39
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Like I've said before regarding Schaub, I'll pay no attention to what they say, but I will pay attention to what they do.

I'm fairly certain that they will take a QB in this year's draft, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them take one early. Not because Kubiak has lost confidence in Yates. It's Schaub that will drive this.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #40
digitalswim
Sleepwalker

Rep Power: 1590 digitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respected

I like to be a U of H homer as much as the next guy but I will be stunned if Keenum can even make a roster. Maybe someones practice squad. TJ Yates is not what I envision when I think franchise QB. In fact anything more than a band aid terrifies me.

I don't expect any QB's crawling out of the wood work this year but I hope they can find someone within the next couple of years hopefully without a noodle arm that Kubiak seems fine with. I'm sick of relying on perfect timing routes, gadgetry and bootlegs. All that stuff is fine but sometimes you just gotta spin one in there with some mustard on it.
digitalswim is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read