Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-04-2012   #1
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Where and when will the Texans find their next QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The changing of the guard at the QB position in the AFC South is underway. Are we ready for that future or will we be scrambling in a 2-3 years to catch up?
Good point...I've been wondering when they will address this issue. TJ Yates was taken in the fifth round not as Schaub's replacement, but rather as a back up. Old school wisdom dictates drafting in the second or third round and having the young QB carry a clipboard for 2-3 years. I hope that this is the way they develop a quarterback, but unfortunately the overwhelming need at the position leads to teams drafting second, third or even fourth round talent in the first round, and starting them before they're ready (Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Tebow).

It seems to me there are only three ways to get a starting QB:
1). Be really, really, really bad like Indianapolis.
2). Trade three first round draft picks for a "lock" prospect like Washington.
3). Trade for a veteran player.

Options one or two presuppose a starting caliber QB is available in the draft. note: I was going to include 2007 as well but the quarterback class that year was just too depressing (think JaMarcus Russell).

Round 1 QBs
2011 - Cam Newton 1/#1, Jake Locker 1/#8, Blaine Gabbert 1/#10 and Christian Ponder 1/#12
2010 - Sam Bradford 1/#1 and Tim Tebow 1/#25
2009 - Matthew Stafford 1/#1, Mark Sanchez 1/#5 and Josh Freeman 1/#17
2008 - Matt Ryan 1/#3 and Joe Flacco 1/#18

Round 2-4 QBs
2011 - Andy Dalton 2/#35, Colin Kaepernick 2/#36 and Ryan Mallett 3/#74
2010 - Jimmy Claussen 2/#48 and Colt McCoy 3/#85
2009 - Pat White 2/#44 and Stephen McGee 4/#101
2008 - Brian Brohm 2/#56, Chad Henne 2/#57 and Kevin O'Connell 3/#94

Round 5-7 QBs of note

2011 - 5/#152 T. J. Yates, 5/#135 Ricky Stanzi and 7/#208 Greg McElroy
2010 - 5/#155 John Skelton and 6/#199 Joe Webb
2009 - 6/#201 Curtis Painter
2008 - 5/#156 Dennis Dixon, 5/#160 Josh Johnson and 7/#209 Matt Flynn

If I, as hypothetical general manager, use a top five pick on a quarterback he should be a franchise player. I think these guys fit that description; Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, and Joe Flacco. We could for argument's sake include Mark Sanchez, but I won't. Maybe I'm projecting with Cam Newton, but the talent shown on the field puts him on my list.

So, with notable exceptions, if you want a starter you have to get him in the first round. It's also easy to see which first round selections were picked too early.

Ok, no problem! With the new rookie salary cap it's much easier than before to trade up into the top five picks. Ouch! That's the new problem. Now you have eight franchises all trying to trade up to get one player and you have to give up three first round picks. How many next year, four or five first round picks?

That leaves us at option three. Two good examples we're all familiar with, one good and one bad; Houston-Atlanta (Schaub) and Arizona-Philadephia (Kolb). One team let their scouts select the player and one team let the media select their player and overpaid. Guess which one was which.

Trading for our next quarterback could possibly be a much better value. Remember San Diego dumped Drew Brees after his rookie contract...
Old 04-04-2012   #2
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where and when will the Texans find their next QB

I still think this guy could be the future with more experience in Kubiak's offense...

Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok maybe I'm not thinking big picture here but I was also thinking that we have our QB of the future possibly in TJ Yates, if a rookie ever got thrown into the fire it was him and he made some real strides to become a pro last year.

Today, though, I'm watching NFL Network and I see that Rudy Carpenter got released by the Bucs. As I look at my teams current condition at QB I'd like to see us draft our next QB for the future, however when you look at some things that Carpenter has done during the preseason and just the fact that he's already a veteran. I wouldn't mind us spending a low offer contract to obtain that guy since he's most likely going to be a 3rd stringer or compete for the 2nd QB spot with Yates right now.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #4
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if you believe T.J. Yates is the heir to Schaub's starting job (and I ain't convinced yet) that still leaves us with no future backup to Yates.

And I, for one, would rather he be someone who can push Yates for the starter roll rather than a "career backup" type guy. No more Dan Orlovsky-types, thank you.

I think that guy ought to be picked up this year so he can start learning the system. Plus, after last year's M.A.S.H. unit experience, I don't see Smithiak going into the season with only two QBs on the roster.

So I call upon the draftniks (because I admit I have no idea) to clue the rest of us in on who might be worthy of a second-day (4th thru 7th rounds) pickup.
Old 04-05-2012   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Even if you believe T.J. Yates is the heir to Schaub's starting job (and I ain't convinced yet) that still leaves us with no future backup to Yates.

And I, for one, would rather he be someone who can push Yates for the starter roll rather than a "career backup" type guy. No more Dan Orlovsky-types, thank you.

I think that guy ought to be picked up this year so he can start learning the system. Plus, after last year's M.A.S.H. unit experience, I don't see Smithiak going into the season with only two QBs on the roster.

So I call upon the draftniks (because I admit I have no idea) to clue the rest of us in on who might be worthy of a second-day (4th thru 7th rounds) pickup.
He's right here in Houston.
I'm not totally sold on TJ (even though I think he may have a shot).
I'm talking about my homie Case Keenum at UH.
IMHO, he's the best QB in this draft class.
If he's about 2 inches taller and some 15 lbs more in muscle, I would rate him as the #1 prospect this year.

And don't think he doesn't fit in Kubiak's offense.
Tomorrow, hopefully I will have time to put up some stuffs in the Keenum's film study thread (college football section).
It will show Keenum operating out of the ZBS, in play action, from under center.

In my homerism, I would take him in the Texans slot in the second round, but I would be absolutely thrilled if we take him in the third.

The smartest QB I've seen in quite a while.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I think our QB of the future is still gonna be Schaub. I think he'll play out a new 3 or 4 year contract starting next season. His injury isn't career threatening and if he has to miss a bit of time this year i'm confident enough in Yates.
Old 04-05-2012   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

schaub is just 30 yrs old and thats even a young 30 with the lack of throws schaub has had to make compared to his draft classmates like eli,rivers (bar his rookie season) and big ben who have been starting day 1.... barring serious injury, hes playing out his next contract here at least so bring this thread back in about 5 yrs..

thats alot of time to groom a successor if we dont already have the homemade 'schaub option' right here on the roster already witha playoff W already to his name
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2012   #8
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think our QB of the future is still gonna be Schaub. I think he'll play out a new 3 or 4 year contract starting next season. His injury isn't career threatening.
well this type of injury has been career threatening in many cases, we still dont know how schaub will respond once he is fully healed.. not sure if hes already had the screws removed from his foot yet, maybe he has. arthritis in the foot is a common occurrence and pain when walking. if he is unable to push off his plant foot than he could become quite useless.. we still have a ways to go before were sure what schaub can do..
Old 04-05-2012   #9
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd quit paying failed-starters the kind of money that would net a real starter at another position, and continue to take mid-late round flyers on guys Kubiak thinks he can develop.

In the early rounds, there is a much greater chance of getting value from your picks at other positions, keep on drafting for depth, and letting that depth step in when the starters get paid by other teams.

Yates is going to be a good backup, we can get by if he needs to start, and given that he's slightly better than Schaub in some of the natural ability, who's to say he can't eventually become better than him when he's had chance to develop the decision making and game reading.

I know our hit rate hasn't been great on the late round flyers, TJ is the first to succeed, but its the best way to search for that next guy, and if it comes down to it, there's always guys around like Delhomme (who I thought looked pretty good in his PT) or Garcia who can come in and hold the clipboard mid-season.

In fact, from what I saw, I'd prefer to have had Delhomme under center than Leinart.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
I still think this guy could be the future with more experience in Kubiak's offense...

I agree. Now that he's 2nd string he'll get some reps. in practice, along with more experience. I think if he's given a real chance then he has the possibility to be our starter of the future. I think way to many times coaches/organizations prejudge what a players potential is based on where they're drafted and late round guys don't get that real chance to grow and succeed.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #11
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His injury isn't career threatening .
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #12
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
thats even a young 30 with the lack of throws schaub has had to make compared to his draft classmates
Maybe thats because he is INJURED EVERY YEAR!

Just sayin.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
He's right here in Houston.
I'm not totally sold on TJ (even though I think he may have a shot).
I'm talking about my homie Case Keenum at UH.
IMHO, he's the best QB in this draft class.
If he's about 2 inches taller and some 15 lbs more in muscle, I would rate him as the #1 prospect this year.

And don't think he doesn't fit in Kubiak's offense.
Tomorrow, hopefully I will have time to put up some stuffs in the Keenum's film study thread (college football section).
It will show Keenum operating out of the ZBS, in play action, from under center.

In my homerism, I would take him in the Texans slot in the second round, but I would be absolutely thrilled if we take him in the third.

The smartest QB I've seen in quite a while.
I agree with this too.
Old 04-05-2012   #14
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Towels?

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #15
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I agree with this too.
I disagree. I think Keenum will be a solid backup QB in the NFL, but he's not a starting caliber QB much less a franchise guy. If he didn't play for UH then most people on this board would agree with that, but they won't because they're biased.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I disagree. I think Keenum will be a solid backup QB in the NFL, but he's not a starting caliber QB much less a franchise guy. If he didn't play for UH then most people on this board would agree with that, but they won't because they're biased.
Yeah, it happens. I mean c'mon, isn't your man-crush on Mike Martin partly because he's from Michigan? We could probably put together an entire mock of several poster's favorite homer picks.
Old 04-05-2012   #17
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Eventually, we will have to spend a 1st or early 2nd rounder on a QB. Much like Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, or Christian Ponder to name a few. Hopefully, we will never do as bad as the Colts did this year ever again. I would expect within the next couple of year however to see a QB drafted early by the Texans.

Also I'm not sure what Nick Foles is rated on the draft boards, but I do think if he is there in the 3rd round for the Texans to take that will pull the trigger on him. Just my personal opinion, with the injury to Schaub and all.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #18
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Yates has the potential to be a starter in the next couple of years, if schaub can stay healthy and learn under him. What i like about schaub is hes a team player and he puts his team first as i noticed him helping TJ on the sidelines giving him pointers and helping with plays where as you look at Manning.. hes on one side of the field and orlovski was on the other. I understood that Peyton takes ALL the snaps at practice bc he is selfish and that is why they crumbled in his absence. However, IF we do draft another QB in later rounds... I like Kellen Moore from Boise St... I know hes only around 6' and a south paw but i believe he has excellent smarts decent arm (better than schaub & lienart) and obviously has a will to win. Keenum can definitely sling but many scouts feel he was successful due to the system as most do with the past Cougar QBs I.E. Kolb
BattleRedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm not biased. I'm a UT fan. Dude put up some good numbers and he was getting hit alot in the process. I also saw one of his interviews and I like what I saw from him as far as determined to prove people wrong. I feel he would be a safe QB to pick right now because he has upside and he doesn't have to be even a 2nd stringer right now.

That said, I recall when Rudy Carpenter came in to Reliant and he looked pretty good. I know people are thinking he is a career back up but I think he has talent for what we are looking for and the only reason he hasn't gotten a chance is because Josh Freeman did so well his rookie season.

I also wouldn't mind going after a guy like Russel Wilson from Wisconsin.
Old 04-05-2012   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think our QB of the future is still gonna be Schaub. I think he'll play out a new 3 or 4 year contract starting next season. His injury isn't career threatening and if he has to miss a bit of time this year i'm confident enough in Yates.
Huh?

There have been several players whose careers were ended by lisfranc injuries (Duce Staley and Eric Rhett come to mind and I also think Warrick Dunn). Couple that with the fact that the injury occurred on his plant foot and there is the possibility that he won't ever be the same.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read