Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-03-2012   #1
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected
Default RGIII has declined an invitation to work out for the Colts

Colts owner Jim Irsay says via Twitter that Robert Griffin III has declined an invitation to work out for the team. Smart kid...
Old 04-03-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: RGIII doesn't want to play for Colts

Good.

But he has already come out and said that he wants to play for the Skins.

I wonder if the Colts were actually discussing whether or not they would take him....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #3
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

His agent declined the offer.

Probably thinks they would be wasting their time, since Luck will go number 1.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Smart move. RGIII is an urban guy. He has the look, he has the swagger, and I wouldn't want him stuck in Indianapolis. Welcome to Hee-Haw if you want to be the Colts' QB. Luck should fit right in.

Plus, he would be forever compared to Manning.

Instead, he's in Washington...and he only has to do better than Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman did in their time with the Skins. That's not as bad as having to replace Peyton Manning, folks.

You never want to be the guy who replaces "the guy." You want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced "the guy." Simple trick for success.

Plus, I don't want us chasing RGIII all over the field. We suck at stopping mobile QBs.
Old 04-03-2012   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this a few hours ago in the College Football forum, but Ill weigh in here too. I think your title is misleading. I doubt that RG3 doesnt want to play for the Colts. He just doesnt want to waste his time when he knows, I know, you know that the Colts are going Luck.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree on the misleading title. Should be changed.

Per Twitter, RG3 will decline ALL workouts. Not just the Colts

Quote:
Colts owner Jim Irsay shouldn’t feel like he’s been singled out. Although quarterback Robert Griffin III has declined to submit to a private workout with the Colts, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that he will submit to no private workouts.

(As I way typing this up, Adam Schefter was on ESPN saying the same thing.)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...kout-requests/
Old 04-03-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Leave the title alone as we don't know what RG wants. I would not want to play for them but then I would not want to play for Washington either and both have kept my cell ringing.
Old 04-03-2012   #8
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Colts just might shock everyone and go with RGIII. Why would they ask for a workout if they weren't interested? Strange things happen in the draft, as we all know.

Personally, I hope he becomes a SKIN!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Leave the title alone as we don't know what RG wants. I would not want to play for them but then I would not want to play for Washington either and both have kept my cell ringing.
Mmkay, we don't know what he wants, but we want to keep "RGIII doesn't want to play for the Colts" as a title. Makes sense
Old 04-03-2012   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: RGIII has declined an invitation to work out for the Colts

He has absolutely nothing to gain by working out for the Colts. I don't blame his agent one damn bit. The Colts know what he has, their call.

*EDIT*
And yes, the title is misleading. The only person that wants something is RGIII's agent and the want is to not workout for the Colts.
Old 04-03-2012   #11
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was him, that would be the one team I made the exception for. They have the #1 pick, more money. Good on the Redskins for trading up to get me but I don't think they'll be filled with rage to get Andrew Luck. I want the #1 pick status. I want the money, the glory and all the fame and pressure that comes with it.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get the point in saying that his agent was the one that declined the invitation from the Colts...Yes, his agent is the one that actually has contact with the team, but do you guys think he's out there making decisions like this without consulting with his client?

And honestly, if I'm his agent I WANT him to workout for the Colts just on the slim chance that they see him in person are are blown away and decide to take him with the #1 overall and shock the world.

Obviously RG3 has his mind set on going to the Redskins.

Yeah, it likely would have been a huge waste of time, but I don't think the Colts would have wanted to bring him in for a workout if he hadn't piqued their interest at all.
Old 04-03-2012   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
If I was him, that would be the one team I made the exception for. They have the #1 pick, more money. Good on the Redskins for trading up to get me but I don't think they'll be filled with rage to get Andrew Luck. I want the #1 pick status. I want the money, the glory and all the fame and pressure that comes with it.
That's why I don't get people saying it was his agent...

No, that is not an agent decision...

RG3 told his agent to decline because he really wants to play for the Skins...

He does not want to play for the Colts. The end.

Doesn't matter if he declined all other invites because there is zero chance he's on the board after #2.

This is a small story because he will be on board when the first pick is made and he has declined to workout for that team.
Old 04-03-2012   #14
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

RGIII's been interested in watching NCAA Women's Basketball! Baylor gals play for the championship tonight and no doubt RGIII will be there to support his "lady's!!"
Old 04-03-2012   #15
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

I was more of the thought that RGIII and his agent know that the Colts front office are just doing their prep work in case Griffin does end becoming more successful than Luck. Even if it's only in their first year (Griffin winning rookie of the year over Luck), the Colts front office can at least say they worked Griffin out and did their homework. No can fault them for making a mistake and choosing Luck over Griffin, but at least no can say they didn't even try to check him out.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #16
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68323 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

As a competitor, he should want to go in there and FORCE the Colts to reconsider their "sure choice" by blowing them away.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #17
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
As a competitor, he should want to go in there and FORCE the Colts to reconsider their "sure choice" by blowing them away.
As a competitor, he also wants to win and be successful in the NFL. He may feel the Redskins give him a better shot at that, especially in the next couple of years. The Colts are in full rebuilding mode and the Redskins aren't.

He may also prefer the offense he'd go to with the Skins.He had a long evening with Shanahan after his pro day. He and his fiancee have liked Shanahan since his Denver days. They've already brought in a new receiving corp that is young and can grow with Griffin over the next 5-6 years. He's got a good potential setup in Washington

He may just be angling to put himself in the best position to be successful, which is a lot smarter than trying to be the #1 pick just for the sake of being #1 - that short-term glory could quickly wear off with the Colts and a lackluster supporting cast.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #18
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Maybe the Eagles will trade up and snag him! Doubtful the Eagles want RGIII to go to the Skins! They got money to spend also, so who knows. MV is most likely on his way OUT! Just a thought!
Old 04-04-2012   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

His agent doesn't want RG3 to be used as a tool for the negotiations for Luck...He already knows a team has traded up to 2 to take him....why get used as a tool for the Colts in their negotiations with Luck? All that is going to do is potentially drive Lucks contract down a tad if the Colts use this as leverage in contract negotiations. He has nothing to gain in the draft or in his contract by doing this....it's a smart move.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
His agent doesn't want RG3 to be used as a tool for the negotiations for Luck...He already knows a team has traded up to 2 to take him....why get used as a tool for the Colts in their negotiations with Luck? All that is going to do is potentially drive Lucks contract down a tad if the Colts use this as leverage in contract negotiations. He has nothing to gain in the draft or in his contract by doing this....it's a smart move.
I agree with that logic...

But....

If everyone involved knows that the Colts are dead set on drafting Luck, how would that be a useful tactic?

If the Colts say, sign for this much or we'll draft RG3 why wouldn't the Luck camp just call their bluff?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read