Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-31-2012   #21
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Salary Cap (as of 3/30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Wow. Anticipated salary cap numbers($millions) going forward:

2009 -- $123
2010 -- ?
2011 -- $120.375
2012 -- $120.6
2013 -- $120.9
2014 -- $121+
2015 -- $122

This explains everything.
Either we are missing something or the owners took the NFLPA to the cleaners.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
We are always missing something.

I don't trust or believe any cap information I see posted anywhere. To me, the whole thing fits into the "It's a Mystery" category along with the compensatory pick logic. I know lots of guys on here try to figure out how expensive different players are and how much cap space everyone has and all that but I don't think it's really possible to know that stuff from our vantage point. We simply do not have access to the correct information.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #23
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Wow. Anticipated salary cap numbers($millions) going forward:

2009 -- $123
2010 -- ?
2011 -- $120.375
2012 -- $120.6
2013 -- $120.9
2014 -- $121+
2015 -- $122

This explains everything.
2 things here, number 1 is that the AJ contract is going to really hurt us next offseason if these figures are true, thats going to be an extra ~$8m over his hit this year which will wipe out that DeMeco move more or less.

Number 2, if this is true, the owners have royally shafted the players in the CBA, no matter how you look at it, we saw the players excited that they were pushing the cap limit up by 25% over x number of years when in reality it will have fallen slightly. Thats gotta hurt.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #24
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I don't trust or believe any cap information I see posted anywhere. To me, the whole thing fits into the "It's a Mystery" category along with the compensatory pick logic. I know lots of guys on here try to figure out how expensive different players are and how much cap space everyone has and all that but I don't think it's really possible to know that stuff from our vantage point. We simply do not have access to the correct information.
Very good point.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #25
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i read a good piece that says ppl always overestimate the cap hit of rookies because they confuse rookie pool and cap. its makes sense when you think of how every rookie bar 1st rounders earn pretty small salaries/bonuses and since only the top 51 count towards the cap, either the later rookies dont even make the top 51 or if they do they knock one of the last guys off (who's hit would usually be in the 500k range), the difference to the cap is minimal.

take our 1st rounder in account, jimmy smith (ravens-26th pick in last yr draft) cap hit was 1.694 by my calc. when you take off the cap hit of the 51st guy on the team that he was knocking off, his impact on the cap was likely less than/~ 1m
Well when the season starts the cap includes the top 53 players. At 500k min each, that's another 1 million off the cap. If a bunch of minimum guys get replaced by rookies then it probably is mostly a wash. The 1st round pick will probably add another million to the cap over the guy that gets cut in his place, so we're probably looking at 2 million more added to the cap this year due to rookies. That's feasible given the numbers, but I won't be surprised if we see Jacoby and Shaun Cody cut before the season starts. Even if we don't need that space this year, we will need it in 2013.
Old 03-31-2012   #26
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilpW View Post
If you believe these numbers, New Orleans has $1,415,308.00.
How can they possibly sign Brees?
Brees was franchise tagged, so he is currently counting about 16 million against their cap. Obviously they can't give him the 23 mill a year that he wants, but maybe they will work something out.
Old 03-31-2012   #27
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Exactly.

I think we have enough to get through the draft, then we'll see some guys (JJ) get cut post-June 1st if necessary.

We got enough to pay the bills and buy the groceries for a month.
Old 03-31-2012   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

We're into a little trade window here. Wouldn't shock me if Texans do something.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #29
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the NFL hasn't figured out the amount of money for each team's rookie pool money. It hasn't been announced as far as I know, so I can only assume that it isn't being accounted for in these numbers.
They would know the total rookie pool about two minutes after knowing the total salary cap for the year. The total rookie pool is increased by a simple formula tied to the % increase of the total cap.

They may or may not have had the amount per team figured yet, because it would be more involved, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did, or at least held the estimated amount from each team's indiviudal cap.

No reason they couldn't revise it if necessary as the draft approaches, which they will have to do to deal with traded picks and all that anyway.

If I were running a business and knew I'd need $4-$6M to pay for something in the next six months, I would keep put an estimate down as unavailable for anything else even before I knew the exact amount. It makes more sense than possibly overcommitting by mistake and having to scramble and potentially lose more than you gained by not setting it aside.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read