Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-31-2012   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kevin Walter Agrees to Salary Reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So why not attempt to restructure Demeco & Winston? If they aren't elite, if we've got players ahead of them, they'd still make excellent backups.

As far as we know, they made no such attempts. If something happens to Cushing, who would you want to be the next man up? Demeco or Sharpton? If Butler misses a few games, Winston or Austin?

The players/positions that were affected this offseason, yeah, they made sense.... but the way they went about it, doesn't.

Maybe there is a provision that prevented us from restructuring Demeco & Winston where it made sense for the team. I'd love to hear theories on that, but so far, all we are hearing is that these were the best moves for our future.

Well, I call BS. The best move for our future, would have been to restructure Walter back in February, work with Andre, Demeco, back in february, put your feelers out in february & see if there's any interest in a trade for Eric Winston.

What we are seeing now, is an organization that was caught off guard & trying to make the best out of a bad situation.
TK, my thought is they added up Ryans health + 3-4 defense and said "gone". I would love to have gotten a better deal but more shocked by WInston. Again, i think they feel Butler is ready to go.
Old 03-31-2012   #42
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Who said anything about a pay-cut? If that is what they are worth, then pay them what they are worth.
They were worth it to the teams they went to; they weren't deemed worth it to the Texans, either due to performance/salary ratio vs their replacements, or due to straight up cap problems. My guess is mostly the former for the upcoming season and the latter being the reason for the year after that.

People wanting them to restructure DeMeco would have sacrificed far better performing players in the next several years just to keep him, and Winston didn't have enough years left on his contract to make restructuring viable. About all they could do with Winston would be to convert this year's money to something like a guaranteed roster bonus next year, but then we couldn't sign a QB, Brown, Barwin, etc. without major problems.

They did what needed to be done.

Good move on Walter's part to stay here, and good on the Texan's part to keep a vet contributor at a better value.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #43
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure how accurate this website is

(never been here before) but anyway here is Kevin's contact
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/kevin-walter/

based on if this is true he will be back up to 3.5 million next two seasons
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #44
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I am not sure how accurate this website is

(never been here before) but anyway here is Kevin's contact
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/kevin-walter/

based on if this is true he will be back up to 3.5 million next two seasons
Walter, his agent, and maybe the Texans are hoping he'll have a big year that would justify the rest of his remaining contract. If not, he could face a reduction or cut next year, especially if we draft or otherwise have a more solid #2 by then. It wouldn't make sense for him to agree to reduce his entire contract if he can avoid it, and the Texans are in a position where they can wait and see, so they don't need to do it now either.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Now TK, you were recently telling me that I had a runaway imagination.

You've got quite an imagination too, I see.
Old 03-31-2012   #46
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would we expect his role to be reduced?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #47
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

edit
Old 04-01-2012   #48
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
Why would we expect his role to be reduced?
What I find kind of strange is when Aj goes down some people look to jacoby to step up instead of the actual #2 receiver. I always here about Walters blocking, but on a lot of the big runs jacoby is the one that stands out with his blocking.

I know jacoby muffed that punt, but if we want jacoby cut I think a good case could be made that Walter should probably go before him or at least alongside him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #49
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 91583 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
What I find kind of strange is when Aj goes down some people look to jacoby to step up instead of the actual #2 receiver. I always here about Walters blocking, but on a lot of the big runs jacoby is the one that stands out with his blocking.

I know jacoby muffed that punt, but if we want jacoby cut I think a good case could be made that Walter should probably go before him or at least alongside him.
Walters did catch that TD pass in Cincy, Jacoby would of dropped it.
Old 04-01-2012   #50
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Walters did catch that TD pass in Cincy, Jacoby would of dropped it.
If he caught it, you can bet the celebration would've been a whole helluva lot longer.
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #51
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Our WR situation is just not good. Dre is awesome but was injured much of last year. Jones and Walter are average to be nice. I would say that WR and OT are our biggest needs. If Dre or one of our OT go down we would be in big trouble as of today.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #52
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
If he caught it, you can bet the celebration would've been a whole helluva lot longer.
I think I figured out a way to keep JJ on the team, at a reduced price.

We ask him to play for $250,000...except he doesn't play. His job is to run onto the field and take over "TD celebration" duties when one of our less rhythmic Texans players scores a TD.

No pressure on JJ + More cap room for the Texans = A contract everybody likes.
Old 04-07-2012   #53
ToxicButt
Rookie

Rep Power: 140 ToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kevin Walter took paycut

Sorry if it's been posted, but I didn't see this anywhere. Clutchfans (rocket's fan forum) is where I saw it. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=217732. They cite to a fox sports report.

Edit - Here's the direct link on fox sports. http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...tract/10438903. If you read the "source", I'm not sure it's credible.
ToxicButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #54
Naiirb
All Pro

Rep Power: 2332 Naiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kevin Walter took paycut

2nd page http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90873
Naiirb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #55
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What I find kind of strange is when Aj goes down some people look to jacoby to step up instead of the actual #2 receiver. I always here about Walters blocking, but on a lot of the big runs jacoby is the one that stands out with his blocking...
I think it's because Jacoby moves to the X receiver when AJ is out. So he is (supposed to be) running AJ's routes. Walter's role remains unchanged.
Old 04-14-2012   #56
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I think it's because Jacoby moves to the X receiver when AJ is out. So he is (supposed to be) running AJ's routes. Walter's role remains unchanged.
Routes aren't exclusive when you're talking about wr's. Maybe you like some guys running certain kinds of routes, but it's not like walter can't or doesn't run some of the same routes as Aj and vice versa.

Jacoby probably does become the wr running the deeper routes for the most part, but I think walter should still be counted on to step up at what he does. He doesn't have to run certain kind of routes to be a difference maker. Look at welker.

I don't think the type of routes should have as much to do with it as much as beating your man and the #2 receiver should be counted on to beat their man more often.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #57
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Good move on the FO's part. K-Dub is a keeper, just not at $3mil+.

Now if we can just get Jacoby to play for half-eaten Liver Cheese sandwiches (still more than he is worth)...
Old 04-15-2012   #58
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195574 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

So with K.W. taking a salary cut, the question comes to my mind is this:

Should Owen Daniels be next to take a pay cut?

While he led the team in catches with 54 (Foster was only one catch behind him) in our most important games - the playoffs - he disappeared. A total of four catches for 55 yds in our two playoff games?? Is that pro-bowl quality performance?

His cap hit was 6.5 mil this past season. Tony Gonzalez or Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski didn't make that kind of cash.

His salary (and cap hit) over the next three seasons (per Sportrac)

2011 - $6,500,000
2012 - $3,500,000
2013 - $4,000,000
2014 - $4,500,000

So, I ask again, is Daniels still worth that size paycheck?

I'm not so sure he still is.

I say draft Fleener and let him compete for O.D.'s job.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306626 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Should Owen Daniels be next to take a pay cut?

While he led the team in catches with 54 (Foster was only one catch behind him) in our most important games - the playoffs - he disappeared.
I would say that was a function of the QB. TJ looked to AJ and then to AF and wasn't throwing much or accurately to begin with. He had a horrible game in Baltimore.
Old 04-15-2012   #60
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195574 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I knew that response was forthcoming. And I agree to a certain extent.

Still, he's supposed to be one of our better offensive weapons - probably third in line behind A.J and Foster. ...much more so than Walter or Jones have been used as key pieces of our offense.

And he disappeared in the playoffs.

If Walter's and Jones' performances (or lack thereof) warrant bringing guys in to challenge for their jobs then someone - and not some UDFA/6th-7th round pick either - should be brought in to challenge for Daniels' job also.

And then there's the loss of Dreessen who was more of a redzone threat last season than Daniels. ...unless you guys think Graham can fill that void...
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read