Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-30-2012   #21
SCOTTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kevin Walter Agrees to Salary Reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
So lossing all this talent is ok because they are over flowing with talented players? The answer is no, this will have a effect. Ok say the Texans put in back ups draft well and sign a FA vet or 2 for cheap. The chances of all these postions that were changed having a seemless transition has to be slim.
It will definately wont be seemless but the effects of the cap hit hasn't been devastating
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #22
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Excellent move by the Texans. I think JJ is only being kept around as an insurance policy in case everyone we draft, practice squad players, and IR players suck in training camp this season. I fully expect the Texans to cut Jacoby late in TC.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #23
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

What a great guy. I'd definitely love to buy him a few beers after this. Very cool move. I don't buy it that he couldn't have gotten $2M or more some place else. I think he just would rather remain a Texan.

Bravo KW!
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #24
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I am hoping this is a sign that the FO will be serious now about not handing out gimme contracts to players like in the past to keep them onboard. I like KW's game overall, but the past several seasons since we signed him to keep him from the Ravens he hasn't produced nearly enough to justify his salary really, though that's not all on him.

Why take a paycut? Slot receivers are fairly easy to find in the NFL. At least this way he knows he's going to stick on the roster and at worst likely take the #3 spot in a system he knows, with a coaching staff he knows, and he's a great downfield blocker at WR.

Win-win for both sides.

Now, if we could really just find where we are capwise that'd be peachy.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #25
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, 1.5 mil is a 40+% pay cut. Ouch
Old 03-30-2012   #26
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
So far I'm on board with everything our FO's done so far. Cap's a problem, they're dealing with it.

Players are taking paycuts to stay on with our team, and players released have found new homes in the NFL. That to me signals that we're a team with a bright future, and so much talent that we can't keep it all.

Bright future, and I'm drunk already!
Homie must be sippin the koolaid made by Bob Rick and Gary
BattleRedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I will say this is the one move the F.O. has made that does make sense to me. People want to bag on Jacoby for getting paid like a #3 WR & producing like a 4. Well, KDub was paid like a really good #3 & producing about the same as Jj over the last two years.

KDub is a slot receiver & we should never had put David Anderson on the field, unless Andre, KDub, Jj, Street FA1, & Street FA2 were all hurt. We should have seen more sets with Andre & JJ on the outside, with Kdub in the slot.
Old 03-30-2012   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTexans View Post
Glad he took the pay cut instead of being released... I like the way he plays but he wasn't worth the $.

I really like his outlook on the game when he talk on 945 the buzz during the season
Makes me think WR is high on Garys list of priorities in the draft. Wonder if Jacoby will be taking a paycut/cut soon?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #29
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Good deal. I think it shows Walter really likes playing for this team, and sees a bright future for the organization. If there were more guys like him, things would be great.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #30
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Good deal. I think it shows Walter really likes playing for this team, and sees a bright future for the organization. If there were more guys like him, things would be great.
DITTO!!

BUT, I still worry. RS is not the brightest blub in the NFL when it comes to being a GM. Not sure what everyone sees in him at all, but, that's JMO!! NO ONE is safe, that's for sure. RS dislikes you for some reason you might as well pack your bags, regardless of how good you are or what you have done for the franchise. Winston and Demeco found that out. I think he likes his good friend in Philly more than he cares about our team.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
DITTO!!

BUT, I still worry. RS is not the brightest blub in the NFL when it comes to being a GM. Not sure what everyone sees in him at all, but, that's JMO!! NO ONE is safe, that's for sure. RS dislikes you for some reason you might as well pack your bags, regardless of how good you are or what you have done for the franchise. Winston and Demeco found that out. I think he likes his good friend in Philly more than he cares about our team.
I think you are seeing this too much from your personal feelings about players and not what is probably best for team. That is your right but may not be a very clear picture. Each of your posts seemingly focuses on liking a player and loyalty means keeping that person regardless of team circumstances such as costs.

Why do you say Smith disliked any player? You are making it personal with no proof offered. That seems more unfair than what you are accusing Smith of.
Demeco was very well rewarded with his last contract for what he had done which seems to contradict your point of view.
Old 03-30-2012   #32
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Agent to Kevin - You should take the pay cut, you are getting paid way too much $$$.

Kevin to Agent - I was thinking the exact same thing.

Not sure how it all went down between the FO, Walter, and his agent but there had to be some golden conversations.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #33
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Makes me think WR is high on Garys list of priorities in the draft. Wonder if Jacoby will be taking a paycut/cut soon?
For the sake of the team, they BETTER have approached Jacoby about a pay cut in the same spirit as they did with Walter.

I feel like Walter and Jones are kindred spirits in the sense that they have their moments but neither one of them has overtaken games or produced consistently great games.

This team needs some dynamism at the WR position. Andre is Andre, but he gets a year older and the body is breaking down...it just IS and there's no denying it...so we look at the WR position as it stands and it certainly is not striking fear into the hearts of defenses.

Arian Foster is going to look very mortal in 2012 if we don't find a way to loosen up secondaries and get the ball to WRs for bigger plays than we did in 2011. We've had GREAT production from our TEs, but Dreessen is gone now and what do we have in OD, seriously...is he OK or is he slipping on us? The receivers, as a group, need a huge upgrade.
Old 03-31-2012   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think you are seeing this too much from your personal feelings about players and not what is probably best for team. That is your right but may not be a very clear picture. Each of your posts seemingly focuses on liking a player and loyalty means keeping that person regardless of team circumstances such as costs.

Why do you say Smith disliked any player? You are making it personal with no proof offered. That seems more unfair than what you are accusing Smith of.
Demeco was very well rewarded with his last contract for what he had done which seems to contradict your point of view.
So why not attempt to restructure Demeco & Winston? If they aren't elite, if we've got players ahead of them, they'd still make excellent backups.

As far as we know, they made no such attempts. If something happens to Cushing, who would you want to be the next man up? Demeco or Sharpton? If Butler misses a few games, Winston or Austin?

The players/positions that were affected this offseason, yeah, they made sense.... but the way they went about it, doesn't.

Maybe there is a provision that prevented us from restructuring Demeco & Winston where it made sense for the team. I'd love to hear theories on that, but so far, all we are hearing is that these were the best moves for our future.

Well, I call BS. The best move for our future, would have been to restructure Walter back in February, work with Andre, Demeco, back in february, put your feelers out in february & see if there's any interest in a trade for Eric Winston.

What we are seeing now, is an organization that was caught off guard & trying to make the best out of a bad situation.
Old 03-31-2012   #35
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So why not attempt to restructure Demeco & Winston? If they aren't elite, if we've got players ahead of them, they'd still make excellent backups.

As far as we know, they made no such attempts. If something happens to Cushing, who would you want to be the next man up? Demeco or Sharpton? If Butler misses a few games, Winston or Austin?

The players/positions that were affected this offseason, yeah, they made sense.... but the way they went about it, doesn't.

Maybe there is a provision that prevented us from restructuring Demeco & Winston where it made sense for the team. I'd love to hear theories on that, but so far, all we are hearing is that these were the best moves for our future.

Well, I call BS. The best move for our future, would have been to restructure Walter back in February, work with Andre, Demeco, back in february, put your feelers out in february & see if there's any interest in a trade for Eric Winston.

What we are seeing now, is an organization that was caught off guard & trying to make the best out of a bad situation.
I'm not sure how you can speak like that when we don't even know their plans.

For all we know they may want to trade up 15 spots in the draft and they want they extra salary space that will be needed to pay that player...(not likely, but my point stands)

They may actually want to pick up some guys in FA...They may have their eye on a guy they want to trade for...OR they could really be up against the cap and made these decisions while weighing the present agaisnt the future...

OR for all we know they may actually like Sharpton better than Demeco or maybe they feel like they can get a player that could provide just as much production for a much cheaper price. Maybe they felt the same way about Winston.

I think you make a lot of assumptions in your post about the teams intentions and how they really view the players we lost. I think you are assuming that the team felt the same way about these players and the fans seem to.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think you make a lot of assumptions in your post about the teams intentions and how they really view the players we lost. I think you are assuming that the team felt the same way about these players and the fans seem to.
we're all making huge assumptions to either justify or antogonize the moves the team has made this off-season.
Old 03-31-2012   #37
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thing is, what we were paying both Demeco and Winston has since been proven to reflect their market value, because neither has taken a salary cut in moving on. So why would they have accepted a pay cut from us?

Demeco's market value is reflected in a system that we don't run, Winston is earning his cash on a team who don't have someone on Butler's level breathing down his neck at 1/3rd the cost.

Who was about to offer Kevin Walter more money than he's just agreed to? How does the rest of the league view Kevin Walter? He's someone who we've done well to get what we have out of, he's nothing special in reality. I'd say its smart of him to take a salary reduction because his skill set doesn't guarantee him getting through training camp on a team who's system he doesn't know inside out.

SheTexan, I thought you were a really good poster until this offseason, can you please tone down a little of the negativity because while you have the right to express your opinion, you're in danger of becoming the poster-child of the 'sky is falling' mentality about this offseason. JMO and I don't mean to cause offense.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we're all making huge assumptions to either justify or antogonize the moves the team has made this off-season.

I dunno about that...

You can justify and antogonize what the front office has done without making assertions about their motivations.

That is the part that I don't really agree with.

We have no idea exactly why some of the moves were made when they were made all we know is that they were made and we can either agree or diasgree with the likely outcome.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #39
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
SheTexan, I thought you were a really good poster until this offseason, can you please tone down a little of the negativity because while you have the right to express your opinion, you're in danger of becoming the poster-child of the 'sky is falling' mentality about this offseason. JMO and I don't mean to cause offense.
Oh well, if that's what you want to think of me then that's your right. I'm not offended. This is a MB, it does not define who I am as a TEXAN fan!

I got caught up in the "post" season excitement of THINKING we just might be SB bound next year. I should know better, my bad!!! Before you blast me for that, about 90% of this board expressed the same "mentality!" NOW, I don't know what to think. If you want to accuse me of being "negative" because I feel my team has taken a huge hit due to poor management, then so be it. This is an opinion board, and even though I might not agree with some of the "opinions" I respect those who express theirs.

I've been an avid, diehard, football fan for over 50 years, so, I pretty much know how the NFL works. Not my first go round with disappointment. THANK God above message boards were not around when Bum and Earl went to New Orleans!! I would definitely be the poster-child of the 'sky is falling' mentality! Man, this off season is NOTHING compared to that!! Regardless, sometimes it's hard to remain so damn optimistic when you see your dreams become a potential nightmare. I have NO flippin idea what next year will bring, but, I'll be there pulling for my team. I'm a Texan fan, I should be use to disappointment!!

Just a side note! Those who know me well, know that I will NEVER quit believing in my team! I'm bummed right now, but, come August I'll be ready to go!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Thing is, what we were paying both Demeco and Winston has since been proven to reflect their market value, because neither has taken a salary cut in moving on. So why would they have accepted a pay cut from us?All I'm saying is they could restructure the contracts to make them work for the next two years, then deal with the rest when the salary cap goes up for the 2014 season.

Demeco's market value is reflected in a system that we don't run, Winston is earning his cash on a team who don't have someone on Butler's level breathing down his neck at 1/3rd the cost.
Who said anything about a pay-cut? If that is what they are worth, then pay them what they are worth.
Quote:
Who was about to offer Kevin Walter more money than he's just agreed to? How does the rest of the league view Kevin Walter? He's someone who we've done well to get what we have out of, he's nothing special in reality. I'd say its smart of him to take a salary reduction because his skill set doesn't guarantee him getting through training camp on a team who's system he doesn't know inside out.
So you're saying McNair should be cheap?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read