Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texan's Draft Needs

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Link

The New England Patriots represented the AFC in the Super Bowl.

The Houston Texans, when healthy, might have been the AFC's best team in 2011. But the Texans suffered a lot of big injuries, the most damaging being the Lisfranc injury quarterback Matt Schaub suffered to end his season in the 10th game.

Rookie T.J. Yates played well in spots in his place, but he isn't in the same class as Schaub.
The Texans return a big part of the roster that won the AFC South title, but the big question moving forward is Schaub's health.

"He's doing well," Texans coach Gary Kukiak said this week about Schaub. "He's doing great. He's playing golf, so he's fine. I think once we get to OTAs, he'll do everything. I'll probably keep him out of a team [drills] environment, just to be safe, for those 10 days. He's fine. He'll be ready to go."

If he is, the Texans are the favorites again in the AFC South.

QB: Schaub has developed into a solid NFL passer. He isn't a top-five quarterback, but you could make a case he's top 10. Schaub is good at throwing on the move, which makes him perfect for the team's style of offense. In 10 games, he threw 15 touchdown passes and six interceptions. Yates is now the primary backup. He did some good things when he took over last season, completing 61.2 percent of his passes. He had a rough go in the team's playoff loss to the Ravens, but is more than capable of running the show for a three-game spurt.

RB: The Texans are one of the most run-heavy teams in the NFL, led by Arian Foster. He had a second consecutive big season and is the perfect cutback runner for Houston's zone-blocking scheme. He ran for 1,224 yards but missed three starts because of injury. Backup Ben Tate ran for 942 yards and averaged 5.4 per carry to 4.4 for Foster. The Texans have a great 1-2 punch. The fullback will be James Casey, a converted tight end. He is a good football player, just not the typical bruising blocker, although he's good enough.

WR: In Andre Johnson, the Texans have the best receiver in the league when he's healthy. But he was limited to seven starts last season because of injuries. The Houston offense doesn't have a real downfield threat when he's not on the field. The other starter is Kevin Walter, a steady player who isn't a great speed option. He caught 39 passes last season. Jacoby Jones is the third receiver. He had 31 catches. Look for the Texans to try and add a receiver in the draft, maybe even early. Johnson needs help.

TE: Owen Daniels came back from a major knee injury he suffered in 2010 to lead the team in catches with 54. He had just three touchdown catches, and was clearly hurt by the loss of Schaub. He did start 16 games, which was a good sign. Backup tight end Joel Dreessen signed with the Denver Broncos, which leaves a void. Garrett Graham, who had one catch last season, is now listed as the backup. Casey can also play tight end.

OL: There will be change on the line with the Texans opting to release right tackle Eric Winston for cap reasons. That leaves a big hole. Rashad Butler, who spent last season on injured reserve, is listed as the starter now, although the Texans might address that in the draft. Left tackle Duane Brown is coming off his best season and established himself as one of the best left tackles in the game. The Texans did the smart thing and re-signed center Chris Myers, who fits perfectly in their system. He played to a Pro Bowl level last season. The Texans did lose right guard Mike Briesel to the Raiders, so Antoine Caldwell, who has started at times, will move into that spot. The left guard is Wade Smith, who didn't play as well in 2011 as he did the year before. There isn't a lot of experience behind the five starters, so that could be an issue.

DL: The move to the 3-4 front last season proved to be a good thing for the line. The addition of rookie first-round pick J.J. Watt was the key. By the end of the season, he was a force as a down end. Antonio Smith played well at the other end spot. He had 6½ sacks to lead the linemen. Nose tackle Shaun Cody is getting up in years, but he is a solid player. Earl Mitchell is a more powerful backup. The top backup at end is Tim Jamison.

LB: The Texans lost outside linebacker Mario Williams to the Bills in free agency. They could afford to lose him because they like Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin on the outside. There will be change inside after the trade of DeMeco Ryans to the Eagles. Ryans didn't fit as well with the move to the 3-4. Daryl Sharpton will take over in that role for now. But expect competition. Brian Cushing, the starter next to him, is one of the best inside linebackers in the league. The backups lack a lot of experience. But second-year players Mister Alexander and Bryan Braman showed up on special teams last season.

DB: The Texans did the smart thing and used a secondary of four players who had previously started games at corner. That meant the safeties were good in coverage. Glover Quin did a nice job at strong safety and Danieal Manning was good at free safety. They both have range. Troy Nolan is a capable backup who started three games when Manning was hurt. Johnathan Joseph had a good first season with the team, earning a Pro Bowl berth, after signing as a free agent. Kareem Jackson made some progress on the other side, but he was picked on a lot. He needs to play better. Jason Allen, who was the nickel corner, signed with Cincinnati. Brice McCain and Brandon Harris, a rookie last season, needs to show more to push for time.

I'd say

WR/OLB
OLB/WR
OL
MLB
OL
DB

The depth behind Barwin and Reed's just ugly. IMO, we were lucky they both went the entire season without missing time. I'd expect a WR to be taken if one of the 3-4 fall to us. If not, the BPA of the positions listed above

Texans have enough needs that focus should be value heavy, no reaches because of any one particular need, WR/OLB/OT/OG.

1st - BPA
2nd - OL/LB
3rd - WR

Rest will depend on BPA at the time of pick and how the first three rounds pan out

Let me preface this and say I think we should trade down.

I'll say:

WR/ILB/OLB
OLB/ILB/WR
OT/OG
OG/OT
BPA
BPA
BPA

I bet Rick either trades down in the first and picks up a second, or he parlays our extra 4th, and some other picks (maybe some picks from next year based on our potential for supplemental picks) to move back up in to the second.

I can see us trading next years 1st (#32 :texflag:) for an early 2 this year since we are so cash strapped, can't sign any FA's and depth has been depleted at so many positions.

:thinking: Hell maybe we should trade down and trade away next years first.

Mark me down in the "Trade out of the first round" group. I doubt that a 1st-rd worthy WR is still available at the #26th pick. Because we need scoring threats, Fleener would be my pick @ 26 but he may be gone too. It is also unlikely that a starting caliber OLB or OL will be there either. So the best move is to trade back, IMHO.

Mark me down as a fan of BPA in every round. The Texans have no business, whatsoever, reaching for a player. Take the best one on the board and be done with it. We need depth, not wholesale panic and rebuilding.

Mark me down in the "Trade out of the first round" group. I doubt that a 1st-rd worthy WR is still available at the #26th pick. Because we need scoring threats, Fleener would be my pick @ 26 but he may be gone too. It is also unlikely that a starting caliber OLB or OL will be there either. So the best move is to trade back, IMHO.

Ahhh!........A man after me own heart. TE Coby Fleener would be an excellent choice for us at #26. 6-6, 247, 4.5/40. He was Andrew Luck's favorite receiver at Stanford. If the big 4 WRs are gone by the time we pick, and they most probably will, Fleener would seem to be a no-brainer.

2nd round go MLB/OLB

3rd - WR Ryan Broyles.

Ahhh!........A man after me own heart. TE Coby Fleener would be an excellent choice for us at #26. 6-6, 247, 4.5/40. He was Andrew Luck's favorite receiver at Stanford. If the big 4 WRs are gone by the time we pick, and they most probably will, Fleener would seem to be a no-brainer.

2nd round go MLB/OLB

3rd - WR Ryan Broyles.

I feel the same way about Coby Fleener. Dude just looks like a Texan.

Fleener mock

Would really love to trade down this year. Tons of talent in the 2nd round and not enough value at 27 for me to stay.

I think its obvious that our top 3 needs in no particular order are WR, OLB, OL.

Personally I would take OLB 1st, WR 2nd and OL 3rd/4th.

We have some picks to trade if needed. I think a top tier WR will slip to the 2nd.

I think its obvious that our top 3 needs in no particular order are WR, OLB, OL.

We have some picks to trade if needed. I think a top tier WR will slip to the 2nd.

If Kendall Wright falls to the second, I wouldn't mind us trading that extra 4th we picked up for Demeco OR the late 4th rounder we got to move up to get him.

As it currently stands; your good with Texans going into next season with Darryl Sharpton starting ILB?

As it currently stands; your good with Texans going into next season with Darryl Sharpton starting ILB?

Good point. Actually I am not. In a mock I did I selected Keenan Robinson in the 2nd round to play ILB. I also think they can find one in rounds 3 or 4.

I think the first round is where you find elite talent. And thats what we need in our pass rushers.

That forces me to get a WR in round 2 where I think talented skill position players can slip.

Round 3 you can go ILB or OL.

Good point. Actually I am not. In a mock I did I selected Keenan Robinson in the 2nd round to play ILB. I also think they can find one in rounds 3 or 4.

I think the first round is where you find elite talent. And thats what we need in our pass rushers.

That forces me to get a WR in round 2 where I think talented skill position players can slip.

Round 3 you can go ILB or OL.

Some names I'd be ok with us drafting by round:

1st: Nick Perry OLB USC
Kendal Wright WR Baylor
Jonathon Martin T Stanford

2nd: Kevin Zeitler G Wisconsin
Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina
Vinny Curry OLB Marshall

3rd: Nick Toon WR Wisconsin
Kenaan Robinson ILB Texas
Lamichael James RB Oregon

4th:Best available G/T that hasnt been addressed

5th: Best available NT

6th: Kicker from A&M shoe in lock pick here

7th: Someone to take Jacobys place as punt returner.

Thoughts?:spin:

Yea, I have no problem with it. He played well last year before he got hurt and was pretty good for a rookie in '10. We will need to add an ILB at some point for depth, maybe 3-5. If Hightower is there in the 1st I think you take him because BPA, but other than that I wait until the mid-rounds.

Yea, I have no problem with it. He played well last year before he got hurt and was pretty good for a rookie in '10. We will need to add an ILB at some point for depth, maybe 3-5. If Hightower is there in the 1st I think you take him because BPA, but other than that I wait until the mid-rounds.

very logical response, one I fully endorse :handshake:

does anyone here know Sharpton's official medical prognosis going forward? must be positive otherwise how do they trade DeMeco without a back-up plan?

if nothing else this off-season has proved you can't pay everyone all-pro money so Texan FO must make some compromises to put the most competitive team on the field.

:logo:

not me, but you can get the Ben Liebers of the world in the 3rd and 4th round. Run stuffing MLB's are not hard to find. Sharpton doesn't have enough lead in the pants to take on big O linemen in goal line and short yardage situations in an ongoing manner. If you are going to take all the linebackers except for Cushing off the field 45% of the time you will need a ILB that can take on Guards and stuff the run as a specialty.

Back