Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-30-2012   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anyone think we will draft a kicker this year?

Here are some prospects that I think could be worthy of a late round pick. Justin Tucker I've liked for sometime and I've seen him make some clutch kicks.

Justin Tucker PK Texas

kicked off 328 times for an average of 63.3 ypk and 64 touchbacks ... is 40-of-48 (.833) on field goal attempts and 71-for-71 on PAT attempts for 190 career points ... his .833 FG percentage is tied for third best on the UT career list
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone think we will draft a kicker this year?

We better not. I think this team needs a vet kicker that has made big time NFL kicks before. I do not want a young kicker freaking out and causing us a playoff game.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
We better not. I think this team needs a vet kicker that has made big time NFL kicks before. I do not want a young kicker freaking out and causing us a playoff game.
Who is out there right now vet wise other than Rackers?

I also like Randy Bullock from A&M

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...=2012&genpos=K
Old 03-30-2012   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

too many roster holes to draft a kicker...easy to sign multiple FA kickers to fight it out and fill any gap.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #5
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Who is out there right now vet wise other than Rackers?

I also like Randy Bullock from A&M

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...=2012&genpos=K
Bullock was pretty money for A&M.
Old 03-30-2012   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sign one who doesn't get drafted. It's not worth a pick to me. There are usually a few good ones who make it through the draft.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Bullock was pretty money for A&M.
Bullock has got to be the top kicker in this class.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we might...

Texans staff has show interest in Bullock...

I would not mind using a sixth or seventh on him.

I agree with those above that we have some holes to fill, but do you guys expect a 6th or 7th rounder to come in and have as much of an immediate impact as a starting kicker? I think a really good kicker in the 6th or 7th round is more valuable than a project position player that may or may not even make the roster...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think we might...

Texans staff has show interest in Bullock...

I would not mind using a sixth or seventh on him.

I agree with those above that we have some holes to fill, but do you guys expect a 6th or 7th rounder to come in and have as much of an immediate impact as a starting kicker? I think a really good kicker in the 6th or 7th round is more valuable than a project position player that may or may not even make the roster...
Especially since we are trying to save money and the kicker we had is a FA and how many of our 7th rounders have made the team in the past?

I do agree that if it looks as if none of those guys are going to get drafted, sign them as UDFAs and get a player who could fill depth for us.
Old 03-30-2012   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Why not we've got a veteran WR/PR that cost us a playoff game. Just because your a veteran doesn't mean they're any better than a rookie, in fact rookies replace veterans on every roster every year.

I understand what you mean Blake, just messing with you.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #11
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Especially since we are trying to save money and the kicker we had is a FA and how many of our 7th rounders have made the team in the past?

I do agree that if it looks as if none of those guys are going to get drafted, sign them as UDFAs and get a player who could fill depth for us.

Since the Kubiera

2006: David Anderson, WR
2007: Zac Diles, LB
2008: Alex Brink, QB
2009: Troy Nolan, S
2010: Dorin Dickerson, TE
2011: Derek Newton, OT
2011: Cheta "Cheddar" Ozougwu, OLB

Of that group, Anderson, Diles, and Nolan made significant contributions. Newton has been penciled in as primary backup Swing tackle. Dickerson and Cheddar went on IR and havent done much yet. Brink didn't contribute.

3/7= 43% made significant contributions.
4/7= 57% made significant contributions or are now key backups.
2/7=29% jury is still out.
1/7= 14% didn't pan out

Getting quality play or a key backup 57% of the the time out of a 7th rounder is pretty darn good. I would say Htown has done VERY, VERY well with 7th round picks.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post

Since the Kubiera

Of that group, Anderson, Diles, and Nolan made significant contributions. Newton has been penciled in as primary backup Swing tackle. Dickerson and Cheddar went on IR and havent done much yet. Brink didn't contribute.

1/7= 14% didn't pan out

Getting quality play or a key backup 57% of the the time out of a 7th rounder is pretty darn good. I would say Htown has done VERY, VERY well with 7th round picks.
Most of those guys made contributions when we didn't have much talent. Really none of them except Nolan and maybe Diles should be able to make this roster.

And I'm pretty sure a starting kicker would just add to the % of significant contributions.

If we can get a high quality kicker that can be a fixture for years then I think a 6th or 7th round pick is well worth it. Especially considering that he'll likely have more impact on the season than any other 6th or 7th rounder.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post

Since the Kubiera

1/7= 14% didn't pan out

Ah, hate to tell you this, but Dickerson was cut early last year and I think he ended up on Patriots Practice Squad for the year. Ozougwu was on IR most if not all of last season but is no longer listed on the roster anywhere.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The advantage of drafting is you know you get the guy. Free agency is often going against others and can be more expensive. If the guy you want is there draft him. A kicker should not be the best of what is left over & hope you make it. We are not looking for a backup but a starting kicker. This position puts points on board.
Old 05-01-2012   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Well looks like we drafted a kicker after all.
Old 05-01-2012   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted Rackers back. But since they didnt sign him, we were forced to get a kicker.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'll draft the kicker from TAMU.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read