Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2005   #21
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
next year would be more likely if he doesnt perform, since TJ will have the experience needed, but i have faith in G FUNK

well heres one for u, which would u rather see go, payne or walker ? Hard decesion if ya ask me.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #22
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
well heres one for u, which would u rather see go, payne or walker ? Hard decesion if ya ask me.
depends, i would rather see Walker restructure his contract rather then just cut him lose, i think at the least he would provide very solid depth... but if one had to go next year, id say Walker, because TJ is a suitable replacement... unless Payne has another injury riddled season, but seth came somewhat cheaper to us, since he happened to reinjure himself before the season ended... its tough... it really boils down to how good or bad they play
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #23
AndreJ
All Pro

I'd rather see Walker gone, hands down. I lost all my confidence in him after the poor performance he displayed last season. And it only makes it worse that he was one a few complaining that he was tired of losing.
Old 05-10-2005   #24
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

when payne is healthy he does some major damage. I just dont see hte same fired up Walker we saw 2 years ago.
Old 05-10-2005   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
I'd rather see Walker gone, hands down. I lost all my confidence in him after the poor performance he displayed last season. And it only makes it worse that he was one a few complaining that he was tired of losing.
Walker doesn't like to lose and he doesn't hide it. He has the ideal temperament for a defender. The combination of turf toe and his groin robbed him of his push and some explosion last year, but it didn't make him accept losing any more than he did the year before. Walker is very disruptive and very ill tempered when his game is on. I don't get why so many Texans fans cheer for his demise.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #26
THEFUTURE
All Pro

i dont think we cheer for his demise vinny, i think for the most part we would love for him to return to being a pro bowler and such... but a lot of peoples problems are that if he doesnt perform again, then some people will become more frustrated, especially with the money he commands.... vinny if walker doesnt perform like most of us think he can, what would you expect will happen... nothin, him restructuring, or him getting cut?
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #27
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Walker doesn't like to lose and he doesn't hide it. He has the ideal temperament for a defender. The combination of turf toe and his groin robbed him of his push and some explosion last year, but it didn't make him accept losing any more than he did the year before. Walker is very disruptive and very ill tempered when his game is on. I don't get why so many Texans fans cheer for his demise.

yeah well we dont hate him or dislike him, buyt who likes to see any player only play with half their potential !!! We just want his all, and i know injuries have played a part, but i just dont see him coming back to beign the 2002 pro bowl player he once was.
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2005   #28
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
Nice to hear that Walker is working to have a great year and packed on some muscle.
He has. And there were reports earlier in the year that him and Robaire skipped offseason workouts which is completely false. Robaire and Gary are attending offseason workouts as scheduled.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #29
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Walker is going to have a great year, just watch. Back from injuries and looking over his shoulder at TJ trying to take his job, he'll rise to the occassion. I'm being optimistic, which is against my nature, but I just feel he'll get it done this year. He's got something to prove.

The coaching staff has proven that they don't give anyone their jobs, and they aren't afraid of cutting someone because of popularity, either.
Old 05-11-2005   #30
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Gary Walker's hate to lose attitude is something I always welcomed. I like players that hate to lose because it means winning is very important to them. And I liked the way he complained. He didn't say someone needs to guide us, he included himself in those statements about losing. With a young defense, that kind of attitude is what is needed.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Coach Capers' publicly stated position is that every veteran must re-earn their spot each year. One of the reasons Glenn wanted out, because he was not going to be guaranteed anything.

Maybe it's just two ways of looking at the same issue?
Old 05-11-2005   #32
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I think that Walker knows the system so he will start. Don't the Texans run a complex zone blitz system? This may be besides the point but can anyone name a more productive and feared DT during the 90s besides John Randle?
Old 05-11-2005   #33
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
walker has earned his spot, Vetran it is his to loose
Tell that to Jamie Sharper, Jay Foreman, and Aaron Glenn
Old 05-12-2005   #34
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe people don't like walker because he's the only oiler on the team. i like walker alot when he's healthy.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #35
TexAntagonise
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TexAntagonise Send a message via MSN to TexAntagonise

I wanted to do a little research before I posted a reply. I remembered that Johnson was in the 290# range. This being the reasons the Texans were going to use him in passing situations. As we all have learned in the 3-4 the Tackles are there to "hold up" Linemen and keep them off of the LB's. Johnson needs to add a little mass to be an every down DT. When I went to check the roster and see what Walker and Johnson weighed, they both weighed 305. Johnson has put on 15# in less than a month WOW!! I wonder who the Texans are trying to fool?

Johnson Pre Draft http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=196&p=8...05&nid=1382498

Johnson on some good Texas cooking? Check Houston Texans Roster
TexAntagonise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #36
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I foregave Seth Payne for coming over from Jacksonville in the first game, when he got a safety against the Cowboys. Walker, while being impressive, has never made me forgive him for being a former Jaguars player and Titans player. Maybe this year, he'll show me something that makes me NEED to forgive him but last year was just disappointing.

If you're not healthy enough to contribute, step out and GET healthy.

I was shocked we didn't get Derrick Johnson in the first round - it wasn't an upset kind of shock, but it was surprising. With the way people were talking about him, I assumed he was the best player on the board (that was in a position we needed). However, I am very glad that we got TJ. First, he looks like a monster, and second, he's never played for the Jaguars or Titans. If Walker is healthy this year and doesn't show it, I say it's probably time to let him go.
hadaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAntagonise
When I went to check the roster and see what Walker and Johnson weighed, they both weighed 305. Johnson has put on 15# in less than a month WOW!! I wonder who the Texans are trying to fool?
Travis weighed 305 lbs at the combine.

Link
Old 05-12-2005   #38
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Walker is the starter - I'm rooting for G-funk to make a strong showing this year again. A down game at the end of the year, nagging injuries, a new rookie pushign for playing time, coaches on the hot seat and making waves in the dressing room with cuts to get guys attention and improve the squad overall.

I think all the motivation is there for Walker to havea great year - it will be up to him on the effort side as he usually brings the phsyical side except when injured. Nobody plays as well injured. But the time has run out for Walekr and Payne both to produce like their salaries or be victim to the axe next year.

IMO Walker - the experience and technique will make a big difference and he will be the starter. I think Johnson could be a nice switch of pace between Payne or Walker as he played DT and NT in college. If I remember correctly there is an article floating around that Johnson actually needs to loose about 15# to get down to the 290 weight he was in college. Supposedly that is his projected best playing weight by his college coaches and our staff who told him to loose a few lbs when he came in.

Overall I see walker here at least 2 more years as many others have stated for the money reasons.

I project TJ as a Nickel down starter this year and figure he will split time at NT and DT next year while the staff evaluates Payne and Walker and if they will keep both beyond year 5.
Old 05-12-2005   #39
TexAntagonise
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TexAntagonise Send a message via MSN to TexAntagonise

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Travis weighed 305 lbs at the combine.

Link
Fox Sports has him at 290 also.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/299881

Hummmm
TexAntagonise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #40
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

You can't rely on listed player weights from their schools. That's why they go to all that trouble weighing and sizing the guys at the combine.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read