Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-29-2012   #21
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kuharsky answers a concerned Texans fan: March 27 blog entry

The only thing that has pissed me off this offseason is the Winston move. How in the hell do you cut an above average RT with a 5.5 mill base salary that isn't guaranteed, instead of trading him? I like Eric and all, but this is business, and I can't imagine they would get nothing for him on the block. I think they did him a favor by cutting him. If they can trade Ryans and his bloated contract for a 4th, Winston should have fetched about the same. No team is going to pick a better RT in the 4th round or later.
Old 03-29-2012   #22
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 8289 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally am also in the "Wait and see" crowd. Obviously we are coming away from an unprecedented season for the Texans where we not only made the playoffs, but got to the 2nd round. Rather than noticeably improve during the offseason like last year, we have a fairly disappointing FA thus far where not only did we fail to sign people, we only retained 2 while other teams pillaged the crap out of us.

Like Foster however, I take this as a good thing. When a team becomes good in the NFL, it is because the players have become good. When your players are good, crappier teams will throw lots of money (often far more than deserved) to steal your players and make their team better. All this means is that we will have to build through the draft now for depth and I am fairly certain that replacing those we lost will not be such a challenge as some fans on suicide watch would believe.

I personally have great confidence in our team's ability to draft, despite misses like Jacoby Jones who I would still like to be kicked off the face of the planet regardless of his replacement's status. He simply does not deserve to play in the NFL.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think the biggest thing that has frustrated fans this off-season are:

1.) No real clear picture on the salary cap situation. Fans on the board have sliced and diced it up but the numbers still seem to vary wildly depending on who you ask. I'm still not sure IF or how bad we are butted up against the salary cap.

2.) Waiting on Mario Williams. I think most reasonable people knew we really didn't have a chance on retaining him. Said it before though any other legit playoff team who saw they got just as good production without him would've let him walk long ago.

3.) Losing the right side of the OL. Mixed emotions on Winston, loved what they guy brought to the team from day one on and off the field. One of the few guys on the OL who has shown he can have a mean streak. Brisiel was a lunch pail kind of guy, physically maxed out but played well with what he has. He got overpaid by the Raider IMO, but who hasn't been the past ...well 10 years? I think most people feel confident in Butler being able to be better in pass protection, but what is the drop off in run blocking? I think the bigger concern is who we have behind Brisiel. We haven't exactly been stockpiling guys on the OL and Gary has a habit of sticking to guys like Studdard beyond reason.

4.) We visibly got better last off-season. For the first time the FO went out and HAD to get better. Their jobs were on the line. They nailed it big time with bringing in Wade, Joseph, and Manning. Very different story this year. Instead of getting better this team has slid a little losing some pieces (we can argue about how big or small they were). Some teams are out there getting better.

5.) For some fans the lingering concern if Gary and Rick can keep the team headed in an upward trajectory.

However, what I still keep in mind it's still early in the off-season. If nothing else we still managed to keep the core of players we need to move forward. There is still the draft (though the FO needs to nail it just as big as last year). We still have OTAs to see what we have and could as usual every year see some unexpected finds in June cuts.

To me I'm in wait and see mode to see if Rick and Gary can keep things headed in the right direction.

Well stated.
Old 03-29-2012   #24
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
I personally am also in the "Wait and see" crowd. Obviously we are coming away from an unprecedented season for the Texans where we not only made the playoffs, but got to the 2nd round. Rather than noticeably improve during the offseason like last year, we have a fairly disappointing FA thus far where not only did we fail to sign people, we only retained 2 while other teams pillaged the crap out of us.

Like Foster however, I take this as a good thing. When a team becomes good in the NFL, it is because the players have become good. When your players are good, crappier teams will throw lots of money (often far more than deserved) to steal your players and make their team better. All this means is that we will have to build through the draft now for depth and I am fairly certain that replacing those we lost will not be such a challenge as some fans on suicide watch would believe.

I personally have great confidence in our team's ability to draft, despite misses like Jacoby Jones who I would still like to be kicked off the face of the planet regardless of his replacement's status. He simply does not deserve to play in the NFL.
The funny thing about this is that he is the only guy left from the 2007 draft class still on the roster.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
The only thing that has pissed me off this offseason is the Winston move. How in the hell do you cut an above average RT with a 5.5 mill base salary that isn't guaranteed, instead of trading him? I like Eric and all, but this is business, and I can't imagine they would get nothing for him on the block. I think they did him a favor by cutting him. If they can trade Ryans and his bloated contract for a 4th, Winston should have fetched about the same. No team is going to pick a better RT in the 4th round or later.
I just think there's stuff we don't know about, Dutch.

I don't know if it's personal stuff that rubbed Texans brass the wrong way or what, but there HAS to be a reason they never even talked to him and cut him outright.

There is a reason for everything, and the Texans would not "out" themselves nor Winston so that fans like us can sleep better at night.

Or, there might not have been any takers on a trade. Just because there was a few teams willing to trade for Meco does not mean that there were teams willing to trade for Winston...or at least not for what we wanted for Winston.

I dunno. But I just think there's things we don't know about. And might not ever know about in the future either.
Old 03-29-2012   #26
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would the cap savings have been the same trading Winston or an outright cut like we did?

I don't think the FO wanted to do either move, but they did cut Winston early enough for him to catch on somewhere and traded Demeco to a team that is a perennially in the playoff hunt.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #27
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would the cap savings have been the same trading Winston or an outright cut like we did?
I remember reading somewhere that trading Winston would have activated some sort of accelerated bonus. I don't know if that's true or not, NFL contracts are something else.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2012   #28
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't think the FO wanted to do either move, but they did cut Winston early enough for him to catch on somewhere and traded Demeco to a team that is a perennially in the playoff hunt.
From what I have heard, there was 2 million left in gtd money on his deal. If he was a June 1st cut, then they get to put 1 million in 2012 and another in 2013's caps. Should be negligible as far as cap impact. Getting picks is helpful though, and even a 4th or a 5th is better than nothing. However, that cut had to happen when it did to help get under the cap, but if that's the issue, then it's poor management.
Old 03-29-2012   #29
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
I remember reading somewhere that trading Winston would have activated some sort of accelerated bonus. I don't know if that's true or not, NFL contracts are something else.
If that's the case then an outright cut makes more sense.

Quote:
From what I have heard, there was 2 million left in gtd money on his deal. If he was a June 1st cut, then they get to put 1 million in 2012 and another in 2013's caps. Should be negligible as far as cap impact. Getting picks is helpful though, and even a 4th or a 5th is better than nothing. However, that cut had to happen when it did to help get under the cap, but if that's the issue, then it's poor management.
Agree on getting something in return. If it was to get under the cap then and there, total poor management.

What would make me feel better about the cut is getting Brown locked up long term.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #30
GP 
Go Texans!

So what if his agent, leading up to the free agency period, was telling Texans "no dice" on a trade? Did he have a clause in his contract that said he had to approve of any trade partner???

Asking honest questions, not being an antagonist on this topic.

There HAD to have been a reason, Dutch. They're not going to NOT get what they can get for a player. They even tried to trade a piss-poor David Carr for maybe 2 or 3 days until it became evident that no suitor would come forth.

They tried, or there was a road block of some sort. I am not buying the idea that this was a compulsive move out of nowhere.
Old 03-29-2012   #31
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Didn't the official cap numbers get announced something like a day or two before free agency and the under the cap deadline? I'm guessing they weren't going to make the cut/trade until they knew they had to...
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #32
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You've said this over and over, but let me ask you a question.

The trading period in the NFL didn't start until after the new league year began (this is why the Redskins trade to obtain the #2 overall pick was known for several days before it became official). The Texans had to get at or under the salary cap level by the time the league year started (meaning had Winston been traded, they would have had to find other cuts in order to comply).

How would you have traded Winston, and still gotten under the cap if you were the Texans?

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 03-29-2012 at 02:23 PM.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #33
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously, Kuharsky posts here b/c lots of what he was saying has been reiterated by 789709 posters.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #34
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

NOTE TO SELF....NEVER EVER PURCHASE A JERSEY WITH A PLAYERS NAME ON IT...USE YOUR OWN NAME..
Old 03-30-2012   #35
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a pretty good feeling that Butler (if healthy, and i know if if's were fifths, we'd all be drunk) can have a break out yr next season as the starter. I mean the guy subbed for Brown at blindside and didnt do too bad. From what ive noticed is that Winston is a bit faster at pulling and getting to linebackers, however, i see Butler having a quicker first step and quicker hands to the chest why he pass blocks better. If he can just work on his quickness to the blocks this off season winston will be a thing of the past. now for caldwell, well i think we may have a problem here.. Jacoby jones has to go, and Kevin Walter, he arguably has the best hands on the team but he can not get separation to save his life. 4.4 speed can sometimes make up for that but he obviously does not have that. I dont think kendall wright is the answer to our #2 simply for the fact that in the nfl i feel he is a slot receiver. I'd actually prefer ruban randle or maybe even Hill which to me could possibly open up the vertical with his speed height and hands. but hey what do i know, im just a fan.
BattleRedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #36
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the biggest thing that has frustrated fans this off-season are:

2.) Waiting on Mario Williams. I think most reasonable people knew we really didn't have a chance on retaining him. Said it before though any other legit playoff team who saw they got just as good production without him would've let him walk long ago.
The team never really saw that they got as good of production without him until this season after he got hurt. How could they let him walk long ago? They couldn't trade a player on IR. From Mario's tweets it sounds like the Texans never made him an offer so it would appear they were planning on letting him walk. How were they waiting?

Was it regarding the delays in signing our other FAs? I wasn't involved in any contract negotiations with anyone, but from what the reports/rumors were, we made offers to Brisiel and Myers and allowed them to find other offers if they could. We weren't waiting until Mario signed. At least that's my impression of what happened.

Maybe people thought we should have traded Mario at the beginning of the season. Yeah, we could have gotten something for him, but we were going to a new defense after coming off a horrendous season. They would have been vilified if they had gotten rid of him. At the time the team didn't know what they had in Barwin (going into his 3rd year and missed all of last season) or Reed (a rookie drafted in the 2nd round). They also didn't know if we'd have Cushing from 2009 or the one from 2010. Plus, Demeco was coming off a season ending injury himself.

What the fans here want is to have a GM that can accurately see the future. I realize they need to be able to do that to some extent, but to bash them for not getting rid of Mario is shortsighted.
Old 03-30-2012   #37
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
You've said this over and over, but let me ask you a question.

The trading period in the NFL didn't start until after the new league year began (this is why the Redskins trade to obtain the #2 overall pick was known for several days before it became official). The Texans had to get at or under the salary cap level by the time the league year started (meaning had Winston been traded, they would have had to find other cuts in order to comply).

How would you have traded Winston, and still gotten under the cap if you were the Texans?
Cut Jacoby (no trade value) and save 4 million. The Winston cut saved 5.5 in salary, but counted 1 mill against the cap in dead money (2 if he's not a June 1st cut). The savings difference is minimal, but Winston is a tradeable player. If we end up cutting JJ in camp or whenever, then we will have missed out getting value for Winston. If they trade Jacoby sometime this offseason, I'll be happy to let go of this issue, but I think Winston should have been worth at least a 4th on the market.
Old 03-30-2012   #38
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cut Jacoby (no trade value) and save 4 million. The Winston cut saved 5.5 in salary, but counted 1 mill against the cap in dead money (2 if he's not a June 1st cut). The savings difference is minimal, but Winston is a tradeable player. If we end up cutting JJ in camp or whenever, then we will have missed out getting value for Winston. If they trade Jacoby sometime this offseason, I'll be happy to let go of this issue, but I think Winston should have been worth at least a 4th on the market.
How are you getting a $4Million savings for Jacoby?
Old 03-30-2012   #39
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I take exception to DeMeco not being a "very good player anymore". Obviously Kuharsky and anyone who felt this way didn't watch the last half of the season.

Sure, say he didn't fit the scheme or he was overpaid for what he does for us, but don't sit there and tell me he's not a "very good player anymore", because that's just nonsense.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #40
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
How are you getting a $4Million savings for Jacoby?
Quote:
7/29/2011: Signed a three-year, $10.5 million contract. The deal contains $3 million guaranteed. 2012: $3 million, 2013: $4 million, 2014: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/hou/

While there have been some different reports about his payouts, the total value of the contract is definitely 10.5 million over 3 years. 4 million this year makes sense given what we know, so saving 4 million in salary this year isn't unlikely.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read