Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-29-2012   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kuharsky answers a concerned Texans fan: March 27 blog entry

Saturday’s mailbag led with a note from a frustrated Jags fan.

It was such a big hit, I thought we’d give a frustrated Texans fan a chance.

LX Aguirre from El Paso writes: Will the Houston Texans show some signs of intelligence any time soon???? After their first playoff appearance and a small taste of victory on wildcard weekend, I expected more from them. The only moves they've made so far were the retention of Myers and Foster. You may reason that the team's inactivity is due to salary cap issues, but that excuse becomes irrelevant when the team is willing to trade its Defensive Captain and lose money in the process. The betrayal to DeMeco was magnified because the team had just lost M. Williams, the most powerful defensive weapon; and the lopsided trade showed that management has a disregard for team continuity, fan loyalty, and esprit de corps. For the Texans, continuity involves getting rid of their good players like Williams and D. Ryans (Pollard, Leach, Robinson in previous years) while stubbornly holding on to unproductive failures like J. Jones, K. Jackson (ESPECIALLY KAREEM JACKSON!!!!), and Quinn. With Manning gone, the division is almost a guarantee, but the Texans will lose the crown this year because of indecisiveness and lack of aggression.

Paul Kuharsky: I am taking a deep breath … OK, I am ready.

Has it been a good offseason? Of course not. But good teams tend to be up against it financially and lose good players. They took an additional $750,000 loss on Ryans this year to save a ton of money over the next three years. That money will help them be able to sign guys like Duane Brown and Connor Barwin, and prevent you from ripping them next year for not holding the team together. [Sounds like what GP and others have been saying on this issue...]

DeMeco Ryans was a great leader, but no longer a very good player. He wasn’t even on the field for 60 percent of the team’s defensive plays. You think they’d have been sitting him so often if he was great for them? [Again, un-concerned fans said the same things as Kuharsky here]

You wanted them to keep Bernard Pollard, who couldn’t cover, and Vonta Leach, who got way too much money and plays one-third of the snaps, and Dunta Robinson, who was not close to worth what Atlanta gave him? I’d argue that you are being too emotional. [And again, this is what I and others have been saying from the beginning]

Glover Quin (with one N) is a good player, I don’t know why you would lump him in with Jacoby Jones and Kareem Jackson. Do they like those two guys too much? Sure. But it’s too early to give up on Jackson and the savings would be minimal at this point. And why cut Jones right now without a replacement in sight? Dumping him wasn’t going to save a guy they lost. [Can't fault the logic here, as well.]

The three areas you list as dented are all not nearly as relevant to team success as you may think.

Continuity is nice (especially on the offensive line). But teams regularly turn over 25 to 35 percent of their roster.

You don’t really want teams making decisions based on fan loyalty, do you? Fan loyalty can change week-to-week, and a lot of fans are loyal to Tim Tebow despite the fact he can’t throw with anything close to NFL-caliber accuracy. Should the Broncos have kept him because of fan loyalty? Should the Texans have overspent on Leach and Robinson just because you liked them? [Kuharsky is Captain Obvious hard at work here, saving people from self-imposed, needless misery]

Esprit de corps? Sure, guys are upset in the offseason when they see good players and friends leave. When it comes time to play, if they are pros, they go out and do their job and expect the guys beside them to do theirs. Collectively, they should get good results. Trust me, come the first huddle, an NFL players mentality doesn’t allow him to look around in there and sentimentally contemplate who isn’t there. [BINGO! Everybody hates seeing the last episode of a great show that's coming to an end on TV. But, life goes on. Players will embrace new teammates. It's the circle of life.]

The Texans have work to do. But it’s not a train wreck. They showed good depth last year. Now they need guys to step into roles that opened and for players like corner Brandon Harris and outside linebacker Bryan Braman to be that depth. They’ll restock with the draft and contend for the division and a deep run into the playoffs, I’d bet. [Harris and Braman I bolded for emphasis here. I like them as depth and even as starter(s) if needed in the midst of the season]

------------------

Link to the blog entry here.
Old 03-29-2012   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kuharsky answers a concerned Texans fan: March 27 blog entry

I think Kuharsky used post under the name of Butthertz Titan fan on the old board.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Good points. Fans need to check their emotions at the door from time to time.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #4
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 138918 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Continuity is nice (especially on the offensive line).

The Texans have work to do.

They showed good depth last year.
The parts that stuck with me..
Old 03-29-2012   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It sucks for sure but (1) they extended Foster and (2) they extended Myers- probably the 2 most important things IMO. Right now we look down but this is a game of chess, it's a marathon, it's a boxing match. We still have a long way to go before the season starts. Yes, they Need to do well in the draft to add some quality players/starters and pick up a couple decent FAs. No superstars, just solid undervalued FAs. DO IT and we'll be fine.

We've got time, and I'm not panicking one bit.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only move I don't agree with is Winston. Maybe I'm not seeing how "overrated" he was, but I would have cut Jacoby first
Old 03-29-2012   #7
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The only move I don't agree with is Winston. Maybe I'm not seeing how "overrated" he was, but I would have cut Jacoby first
Dont think that would have made the same financial impact, and good chance before the season starts JJ will be history as well.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2012   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Two things:

1) Surprised no mention of losing the right side of the O-line,
2) All I've heard is Brandon Harris plays too slow/is really slow.

Great post, thx.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We better come out strong or fan base will go ballistic.
Old 03-29-2012   #10
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
The parts that stuck with me..
Right. But now we can retain future core players and whomever else and continue to build thru the draft. I have confidence we will on both sides of the ball now w Phillips in the fold.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #11
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Dont think that would have made the same financial impact, and good chance before the season starts JJ will be history as well.
Correct, no sense in cutting Jones at this point until his replacement is in the fold. We would save very little.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #12
Calface4
inthisforlife

Rep Power: 0 Calface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respectedCalface4 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just like Kuharsky stated... why cut Jacoby when a clear for-sure replacement isn't in sight?
Calface4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #13
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2779 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, that "fan" is an idiot. It's 2012 and he's still upset about losing Pollard and Robinson? Do they not realize that their replacements in Joseph and Manning are far superior?

And Glover Quin is an unproductive failure? I really like him at safety, but that's just me. I don't know if anyone else sees him as an "unproductive failure".
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Wow, that "fan" is an idiot. It's 2012 and he's still upset about losing Pollard and Robinson? Do they not realize that their replacements in Joseph and Manning are far superior?

And Glover Quin is an unproductive failure? I really like him at safety, but that's just me. I don't know if anyone else sees him as an "unproductive failure".
Joseph + Manning vs. Robinson + Pollard

That's like Drew Brees vs. Mark Sanchez
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
His point was that dumping Jacoby without a replacement in sight wouldn't have been good. Wintson, whether liked or not, did have a back up for him there with Butler. Plus the impact on the contract was higher than Jacoby.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
His point was that dumping Jacoby without a replacement in sight wouldn't have been good. Wintson, whether liked or not, did have a back up for him there with Butler. Plus the impact on the contract was higher than Jacoby.
Jacoby is a slot receiver. People that low on the depth chart are not difficult to replace.

I think Bryant Johnson : Jacoby Jones = Rashad Butler : Eric Winston
Old 03-29-2012   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
[Sounds like what GP and others have been saying on this issue...]

[Again, un-concerned fans said the same things as Kuharsky here]

[And again, this is what I and others have been saying from the beginning]

[Can't fault the logic here, as well.]

[Kuharsky is Captain Obvious hard at work here, saving people from self-imposed, needless misery]

[/color]
So what you are saying, is that you & others like you think like the people we call mediots?
Old 03-29-2012   #18
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

My theory on this year's cap problems and consequently losing some arguably important players to free agency is that they banked on KJ in his rookie year after Dunta left to not be a total bust and the defense to be just average at least, definitely not historically bad. That should have been enough for another 9-7, maybe 10-6 season. Which means no Wade, who knows what kind of season last year, no JJo/Manning, and no or minimal cap problems this year.

Pick your poison.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So what you are saying, is that you & others like you think like the people we call mediots?
I'd like to think that a guy who has dedicated his journalistic career to covering the Texans plus the other three competing teams in the AFCS, as opposed to guys like Peter King or Skip Bayless who DON'T do that very thing, has a better finger on the pulse of the Texans.

You can marginalize Kuharsky all you want. People call him a Titans homer, and I don't doubt that his eyes light up IF he gets to write wonderful things about his favorite team, but the fact remains that he knows the AFC South teams the best. He's easily a better journo than McClain, and therefore represents probably better "major media" insight than anything else that attempts to cover the Texans. My caveat here is that Kuharsky is major media whereas Stradley and Burge are local talent--Since you're going the route of "mediots" I delineate between major media (Kuharsky and McClain) and think it proper to leave quality local talent (Stradley and Burge) out of the crosshairs of your labeling system....just so that nobody twists words in a reply to our conversation we're having.

Therefore, Thunderkyss, I don't think the glove fits when you try to lump in Kuharsky with other major media types like you're attempting to do. If the glove does not fit, you must acquit.

The point is that Kuharsky is not jumping off the same bridges that certain Texans fans are jumping off of. In fact, he didn't even climb up to the top of the bridge. He went and had some coffee and is reading about the bridge jumpers on his Nook tablet from the comfort and security of the coffee shop. Might even be eating a pastry, too. Because it's silly to wring one's hands over issues that (a) were not in our immediate control in the first place, i.e. Mario and Briesel getting better offers, and that (b) might find us having potential replacements on the roster already, or in FA, or in the draft, and possibly in the UDFA route too.

Plain and simple: The panic is premature.

P.S. The hack journalists in Houston, McClain and Solomon, continuously write either Captain Obvious articles or erratic and reactionary articles about the Texans. Richard Justice did, as well. It is unfortunate that a guy like Kuharsky offers more tempered and often more accurate information about the home team than the home town guys do. Stradley and Burge also put out regularly trustworthy articles, as well, and run circles around the Houston major mediots. If you think Kuharsky is a mediot, then I think you're over-reaching to get a reaction and nothing more.
Old 03-29-2012   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the biggest thing that has frustrated fans this off-season are:

1.) No real clear picture on the salary cap situation. Fans on the board have sliced and diced it up but the numbers still seem to vary wildly depending on who you ask. I'm still not sure IF or how bad we are butted up against the salary cap.

2.) Waiting on Mario Williams. I think most reasonable people knew we really didn't have a chance on retaining him. Said it before though any other legit playoff team who saw they got just as good production without him would've let him walk long ago.

3.) Losing the right side of the OL. Mixed emotions on Winston, loved what they guy brought to the team from day one on and off the field. One of the few guys on the OL who has shown he can have a mean streak. Brisiel was a lunch pail kind of guy, physically maxed out but played well with what he has. He got overpaid by the Raider IMO, but who hasn't been the past ...well 10 years? I think most people feel confident in Butler being able to be better in pass protection, but what is the drop off in run blocking? I think the bigger concern is who we have behind Brisiel. We haven't exactly been stockpiling guys on the OL and Gary has a habit of sticking to guys like Studdard beyond reason.

4.) We visibly got better last off-season. For the first time the FO went out and HAD to get better. Their jobs were on the line. They nailed it big time with bringing in Wade, Joseph, and Manning. Very different story this year. Instead of getting better this team has slid a little losing some pieces (we can argue about how big or small they were). Some teams are out there getting better.

5.) For some fans the lingering concern if Gary and Rick can keep the team headed in an upward trajectory.

However, what I still keep in mind it's still early in the off-season. If nothing else we still managed to keep the core of players we need to move forward. There is still the draft (though the FO needs to nail it just as big as last year). We still have OTAs to see what we have and could as usual every year see some unexpected finds in June cuts.

To me I'm in wait and see mode to see if Rick and Gary can keep things headed in the right direction.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read