Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-28-2012   #21
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: realist/pessimist and why?

The only constant in the NFL is change. The Texans will be different from the team they were last year. What exactly that actually means in terms of their performance this season is what bothers me.

Good? Bad? Who the hell knows is probably the correct answer.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Inconsistency.

Last year we saw the defense play at that other level, for 10+ games. In 2010, we saw our run game perform at that level for 16 games. In 2009, we saw Aj & Schaub take it to another level for 16 games give or take.

2011 was the first time I've seen any part of this team play at that other level from one season to the next & for us, that part was the run game. The OL & our RBs.

This isn't about stats, for me it's about refusing to lose & doing what it takes to get there. Matt Schaub had some great games in 2009 where he wasn't going to allow us to lose. Same with Aj... dragging DBs 7 yards, bowling over DBs to get into the endzone. He went into beast mode the entire season.

I haven't seen that from Aj since. (Well, there was that innegan beat down, but that was different). I haven't seen that from Schaub since. I question if our defense will bring it next year. Losing Brisiel & Winston, I wonder if our run game will bring it. And I question if AJ & Schaub will bring it.

I've got questions about Kubiak as well, but my biggest grr, is the on field leadership, where I think some of our players think they did their part (what I like to call the DR23 syndrome).
Are you saying Schaub and AJ are over the hill, weighed down by frequent injuries or just no longer "beasting"?

As we have a poster going by Dr23 would you care to expand upon this statement?
Old 03-28-2012   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Are you saying Schaub and AJ are over the hill, weighed down by frequent injuries or just no longer "beasting"?

As we have a poster going by Dr23 would you care to expand upon this statement?
I'm saying both Aj & Schaub have played at that level they need to play at to get us to a Super Bowl..... once.

They didn't play that way before & they haven't played that way since. In my mind, the way they played in 2009 is what we need our on field leaders to do.

Andre is 10 times better than Hines Ward has ever been, his stats eclipses him, & even though Hines Ward didn't get the guady numbers the last 6 seasons, he's most definitely (was) one of the leaders on that team & a primary reason they won 2 Super Bowls.

Matt is every bit as "good" as Ben, but Rapelisburger has 2 rings. Because he leaves everything on the field, every play.

Schaub doesn't.
Old 03-29-2012   #24
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
3.) Lack of a bounty program.

I feel we're really behind the times on this one. Apparently, all the cool teams are doing it. So why aren't we?

Not having a bounty program is setting us back.
Maybe we do have one, we just suck at it?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm saying both Aj & Schaub have played at that level they need to play at to get us to a Super Bowl..... once.

They didn't play that way before & they haven't played that way since. In my mind, the way they played in 2009 is what we need our on field leaders to do.

Andre is 10 times better than Hines Ward has ever been, his stats eclipses him, & even though Hines Ward didn't get the guady numbers the last 6 seasons, he's most definitely (was) one of the leaders on that team & a primary reason they won 2 Super Bowls.

Matt is every bit as "good" as Ben, but Rapelisburger has 2 rings. Because he leaves everything on the field, every play.

Schaub doesn't.
I tend to agree TK. My concern is both may have started down the backside of career. AJ is a fan favorite deservedly but we better prepare for both being gone sooner maybe than later.
Old 03-29-2012   #26
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Schaub doesn't.
Nick Harper's wife is more responsible for the Steelers getting to the SB than Hines Ward.
Old 03-29-2012   #27
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
schaubs health is concerning. thats the only thing i am semi worried about going into this season

This is what worries me. I think he'll be ready to start the season but I never count on him finishing one or not missing significant games.
Old 03-29-2012   #28
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not much for optimism. Life has a way of kicking you in the nuts if you walk around with your head in the clouds all the time.

And I'm not much to live in a pessimistic worldview. Little things in life - running water, electricity, a/c, etc. - keep things in perspective for me.

But trying to have realistic expectations...this is somewhere in the middle. I do tend to think we should expect another playoff season. However, I remain guarded in that optimistic hope because of the status of Schaub. I honestly do not believe that he will be ready to play football in September based upon Marcus' experiences and CnD's expert opinions.

Our D should remain solid in spite of Wade's previous trend as DC. And a good, consistent defense can always keep you competitive and in games.

So yeah, playoffs, but the flip side is making it in with a 9-7 record. I think the Titans will give us much stiffer competition in 2012.
Old 03-29-2012   #29
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak as the leader of this team will always scare the hell out of me.

47-49.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #30
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 23062 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I tried to be optimistic this offseason, but it's getting difficult. If we had released our players due to their inability, I wouldn't be such a pessimist right now. But the fact is that we have a cap issue, and in order to resolve that, Ricky had to cut some players who played a considerable role on our team.

Cutting players and signing a punter is not going to improve our team. Granted, it's still early in the off-season, so we'll see how it all plays out.
Old 03-30-2012   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I tried to be optimistic this offseason, but it's getting difficult. If we had released our players due to their inability, I wouldn't be such a pessimist right now. But the fact is that we have a cap issue, and in order to resolve that, Ricky had to cut some players who played a considerable role on our team.

Cutting players and signing a punter is not going to improve our team. Granted, it's still early in the off-season, so we'll see how it all plays out.
Could it improve the team if the replacement plays better? If Butler outplays Winston? He looked very good in relief of Brown and should do ok on right side. A lot will depend imo on how RG evolves.
Old 03-30-2012   #32
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans solid favorite to win the AFC South - before we went into the off season. Now the Titans are co-favs with us to win the Division.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #33
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Realist/pessimist? As if the two are the same?

There are only two schools of thought here. Either you are "sunshiner" or a "gloom and doomer". Stick around here long enough, you'll find out that there is no middle ground.
Awww.... come on, there's also the gloomy sunshine club
Old 03-30-2012   #34
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 23062 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Could it improve the team if the replacement plays better? If Butler outplays Winston? He looked very good in relief of Brown and should do ok on right side. A lot will depend imo on how RG evolves.
I hope you're right. I do hope the replacements play much better, but the realist in me is telling me they were the the back-ups for a reason. Of course we all hear stories about backups making the best of their opportunities and going on to dominate the rest of their career, but they are far and few in between.

I'm actually not too worried about Butler stepping in. From what I've seen, he's a decent tackle, has all the intangibles, and has a lot of potential. What scares me is thinking about who will replace DeMeco. Sharpton didn't show a lot of promise when he played for us, and was part of the reason why our defense played atrociously 2 seasons ago under Frank Bush. However, I did question DeMeco's productivity back in 2011 in this thread...
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86801
Old 03-30-2012   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I hope you're right. I do hope the replacements play much better, but the realist in me is telling me they were the the back-ups for a reason. Of course we all hear stories about backups making the best of their opportunities and going on to dominate the rest of their career, but they are far and few in between.

I'm actually not too worried about Butler stepping in. From what I've seen, he's a decent tackle, has all the intangibles, and has a lot of potential. What scares me is thinking about who will replace DeMeco. Sharpton didn't show a lot of promise when he played for us, and was part of the reason why our defense played atrociously 2 seasons ago under Frank Bush. However, I did question DeMeco's productivity back in 2011 in this thread...
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86801
understand your thoughts but am hopeful that SHarpton will respond well to OTAs & TC under new coaching. If Caldwell can take a huge step, I will be ok with Oline. IMO the replacement (whoever) for Ryan doesn't have to be better just same productivity as Demeco and we will be ok.
Old 03-31-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
understand your thoughts but am hopeful that SHarpton will respond well to OTAs & TC under new coaching. If Caldwell can take a huge step, I will be ok with Oline. IMO the replacement (whoever) for Ryan doesn't have to be better just same productivity as Demeco and we will be ok.
Would have been great if we had the option to slide Eric inside. You know restructure his contract & slide him inside.
Old 04-01-2012   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would have been great if we had the option to slide Eric inside. You know restructure his contract & slide him inside.
I've said it before and I'll probably say it again at least 10 more times before the season starts, but I'm more worried about the RG spot than the RT spot. I'd have loved for them to have moved Winston in to RG but there wasn't a chance in hell of that happening to a guy widely considered to be one of the better RTs in the league.

Hate to see Winston go but I don't see as sharp a drop off between him and Butler as I do between Brisiel and Caldwell. OTOH, maybe Shelley Smith will step up.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I've said it before and I'll probably say it again at least 10 more times before the season starts, but I'm more worried about the RG spot than the RT spot. I'd have loved for them to have moved Winston in to RG but there wasn't a chance in hell of that happening to a guy widely considered to be one of the better RTs in the league.

Hate to see Winston go but I don't see as sharp a drop off between him and Butler as I do between Brisiel and Caldwell. OTOH, maybe Shelley Smith will step up.
I have always understood that the coaches see more than we do & have better information for which to base their decisions on. I wouldn't be surprised if Shelly Smith steps in & the line not miss a beat.

But, this offseason has not gone in the slightest, the way I imagined it. Yes, I'm a little upset about that.

Sure, I'll get over it by the time the season roles around, but I'd love to be able to vent.
Old 04-02-2012   #39
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Texans solid favorite to win the AFC South - before we went into the off season. Now the Titans are co-favs with us to win the Division.

tenn has lost

Jake Scott G
Ken Amato C
Cortland Finnegan CB
William Hayes ???
Jason Jones DE

OK Every team losses there starters every now and agian Lets not jump off a bridge here
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #40
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
We will sweep the division and be no worse than 11-5 ... no threat there.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read