Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default realist/pessimist and why?

What one thing makes you nauseated, your head hurt and makes you shake your head and doubt we are still going right direction? Salary cap? LT/QB/Barwin contracts up after 2012? Not convinced players like KJ, JJ, Walter, Shaub, Andre Johnson are playing up to contract or your concerned about health? Your still not certain Gary Kubiak is right head coach?

What is that ONE thing that makes you go GRR!
Old 03-27-2012   #2
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: realist/pessimist and why?

Maybe we aren't as good as we think? I'm pretty sure we'll make playoffs again, since the division is weak. But maybe we're not one of the league's best just yet? You have to admit, we had an easy ass schedule last season. Next season, we have a tough schedule. Maybe it'll expose our weaknesses?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

For me it's Gary Kubiak and his lack of skill as a talent evaluator. I know we made the playoffs last season but I still remember all the wasted years of reaching for players, or the small school project players that never work out, all the CSU players, his fetish with TE's, and selecting poor FA's paying them to much and then having to ride out their contract because you paid them to much and can't cut them. I think last years wonderful draft was in spite of Kubiak not because of him. I think McNair pulled Kubiak's head out of his ass and told him that Wade was in charge of the draft, thus it was a successful one. Hopefully McNair does it again this year because I have no confidence in Kubiak when it comes to talent evaluation and the draft or FA. I think if this team achieve's any type of success next season it will be because of the talent level on the team, not because of Kubiak's skill as a head coach. Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better now.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #4
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

What makes me a realist is that the NFL changes year to year. We could be awesome like we were this past year then blow for some inexplicable reason this coming year.

Who knows.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #5
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

schaubs health is concerning. thats the only thing i am semi worried about going into this season
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
schaubs health is concerning. thats the only thing i am semi worried about going into this season
^^^^
This.
The thought of Yates having to start more than one or two games scares me.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #7
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

the one thing i concerned about the most is ummmm......

well..... i guess Rashed butler and if he will be able to fend off some off the top pass rushers in the NFL

PLus Schaubs health of course but ... i know now if Matt goes down all is not lost at least it would just mean TJ gets more reps
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2012   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
For me it's Gary Kubiak and his lack of skill as a talent evaluator. I know we made the playoffs last season but I still remember all the wasted years of reaching for players, or the small school project players that never work out, all the CSU players, his fetish with TE's, and selecting poor FA's paying them to much and then having to ride out their contract because you paid them to much and can't cut them. I think last years wonderful draft was in spite of Kubiak not because of him. I think McNair pulled Kubiak's head out of his ass and told him that Wade was in charge of the draft, thus it was a successful one. Hopefully McNair does it again this year because I have no confidence in Kubiak when it comes to talent evaluation and the draft or FA. I think if this team achieve's any type of success next season it will be because of the talent level on the team, not because of Kubiak's skill as a head coach. Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better now.
I'm not picking on your post because I'm one that has questioned alot of Kubiak's moves in the draft and even thought we were getting too many TEs when we had some very good ones already on the team. So I decided to look at his drafts with the assumption that he picked the offensive guys.

Here are all the offensive guys we've picked since Kubiak. I bolded all the ones I feel worked out for us based on where they were drafted and if they had any significant contribution to the team and I didn't let injuries play a part in it. I then listed all the TEs we drafted since Kubiak.

Charles Spencer - If not for a career ending injury in the first game of his career many say we would've already had our LT of the future.

Eric Winston - Was a starter since the day he got to play. Many thought he had a Pro Bowl year last year.

Owen Daniels - still on the team, one of the best TEs in the NFL

Wali Lundy - cut

David Andreson - career back up receiver but he did contribute to our special teams and made some catches for us and didn't get cut from our team until 2011.

Jacoby Jones - we fans might hate him, but he's made some significant plays for us throughout his career too. I believe he has franchise records for punt returns too. Not bad for where he was drafted at.

Brandon Frye - cut

Kasey Studdard - he isn't very good but he's stayed on the team and has played for us, not bad for where he was drafted at.

Duane Brown - alot of fans didn't like this pick but we can safely say he's one of the better OTs in the NFL.

Steve Slaton - one year wonder, cut

Alex Brink - Project that didn't work out

Anthony Hill - Injuries are what really slowed this guy down but he's still on the roster.

James Casey - he has given us two players for one (TE/FB) and has been an excellent contributor on special teams.

Ben Tate - in back up duty, he almost gained 1k yards on the season and he was injured for the season in his rookie year.

Garrett Graham- he's bolded only because he's still on the roster and because he's definetly going to get his shot this year.

Shelley Smith - see Garrett Graham.

Trindon Holliday - cut

Dorin Dickerson - cut

TJ Yates - I don't think I even have to explain why this guy is bolded. That was also a 5th round pick and I recall alot of people upset that we got this guy and I was one of them, until I read more about him knowing our offense already. That was one heck of a call there.

That's 19 offensive players in 6 years of drafting, with 7 players who have been cut or haven't produced for the team.

TEs drafted by Kubiak

Owen Daniels - 2006 he's good.

Anthony Hill - 2008, injuries

James Casey - 2008, he's good.

Garrett Graham - 2010 still on team, is looking better now that we didn't pay loads of money for Dreessen.

Dorin Dickerson - 2010 cut.

That's 5 TEs drafted in 6 years and he used 3 drafts to do so. Only one has been cut and Anthony Hill just can't stay healthy.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #9
Ktexan68
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Ktexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Maybe we aren't as good as we think? I'm pretty sure we'll make playoffs again, since the division is weak. But maybe we're not one of the league's best just yet? You have to admit, we had an easy ass schedule last season. Next season, we have a tough schedule. Maybe it'll expose our weaknesses?

What the schedule looks like on paper often ends up being drastically different from how it actually turns out.
Ktexan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I think the AFCN is a much stronger division than the East, and the NFCN is on par with what the South is. We still play the other 3 crappy teams in our div 6 times, the schedule argument is pretty flimsy to me.
Old 03-28-2012   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

we have yet to establish ourselves as a club that is in it year in, year out after more than ten years building from scratch....and we just launched our 06 draft class (our best draft class ever) the year after we make our very first playoff appearance and are hamstrung by the salary cap. I'm not freaked, but we seem to be mismanaged.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Realist/pessimist? As if the two are the same?

There are only two schools of thought here. Either you are "sunshiner" or a "gloom and doomer". Stick around here long enough, you'll find out that there is no middle ground.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What one thing makes you nauseated, your head hurt and makes you shake your head and doubt we are still going right direction? Salary cap? LT/QB/Barwin contracts up after 2012? Not convinced players like KJ, JJ, Walter, Shaub, Andre Johnson are playing up to contract or your concerned about health? Your still not certain Gary Kubiak is right head coach?

Inconsistency.

Last year we saw the defense play at that other level, for 10+ games. In 2010, we saw our run game perform at that level for 16 games. In 2009, we saw Aj & Schaub take it to another level for 16 games give or take.

2011 was the first time I've seen any part of this team play at that other level from one season to the next & for us, that part was the run game. The OL & our RBs.

This isn't about stats, for me it's about refusing to lose & doing what it takes to get there. Matt Schaub had some great games in 2009 where he wasn't going to allow us to lose. Same with Aj... dragging DBs 7 yards, bowling over DBs to get into the endzone. He went into beast mode the entire season.

I haven't seen that from Aj since. (Well, there was that innegan beat down, but that was different). I haven't seen that from Schaub since.

I question if our defense will bring it next year. Losing Brisiel & Winston, I wonder if our run game will bring it. And I question if AJ & Schaub will bring it.

I've got questions about Kubiak as well, but my biggest grr, is the on field leadership, where I think some of our players think they did their part (what I like to call the DR23 syndrome).
Old 03-28-2012   #14
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

This is Houston. I'm an old Oilers fan. Nothing else needed to make me go GRR!. (TBH, I don't do that. I just tried it and it sounds kind of gay. Thankfully I was alone when I did it.)

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

1.) Special teams.

Kicker? We don't have one signed yet.

Punter? Hartmann is suspended the first few games AND he's coming back from a nasty knee injury.

Punt Returner? I suppose at this point it's still Jacoby Jones. Yikes.

------------------------

2.) Caldwell.

Does he really fit in on this offensive line? Or will he be forced to fit in?

If he's not a fit, is he just depth...and if so, are we drafting a RG replacement or going the FA route...and will that person be as good as Briesel?

------------------------

3.) Lack of a bounty program.

I feel we're really behind the times on this one. Apparently, all the cool teams are doing it. So why aren't we?

Not having a bounty program is setting us back.
Old 03-28-2012   #16
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

QB. Period.

Not that I don't want Yates in there (although I don't see him turning into an elite QB) ... I want him in there day one. If we rely on what we "think" Schaub may be able to do after the injury and Yates doesn't get the reps he needs with the first team, we are back to square one like last year with a guy who has the talent but not the experience. Go into the season with Yates as your starter and bring Matt along slowly from the injury and if Yates falters and Matt is ready then plug him in.

If Yates shines ... nice knowing you Matt, we just traded you for a fourth.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Realist/pessimist? As if the two are the same?

There are only two schools of thought here. Either you are "sunshiner" or a "gloom and doomer". Stick around here long enough, you'll find out that there is no middle ground.
Sure there is! I don't consider myself either, so I reckon that puts me smack dab in the middle.
Old 03-28-2012   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Wolf6151;1927382]For me it's Gary Kubiak and his lack of skill as a talent evaluator. I know we made the playoffs last season but I still remember all the wasted years of reaching for players, or the small school project players that never work out, all the CSU players, his fetish with TE's, and selecting poor FA's paying them to much and then having to ride out their contract because you paid them to much and can't cut them. I think last years wonderful draft was in spite of Kubiak not because of him. I think McNair pulled Kubiak's head out of his ass and told him that Wade was in charge of the draft, thus it was a successful one. Hopefully McNair does it again this year because I have no confidence in Kubiak when it comes to talent evaluation and the draft or FA. I think if this team achieve's any type of success next season it will be because of the talent level on the team, not because of Kubiak's skill as a head coach. Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better now.[/QUOTE]My pleasure & I tend to agree with your post. Do you think Wade can make the calls on the offense in regards to draft? Would Gary allow that? Last draft was mostly a defensive draft so not sure Wade is as good on that side of ball and we need O players this time.
Old 03-28-2012   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Does AJ's health concern?
Old 03-28-2012   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Schaub worries me. When he was injured, I immediately expected him to miss most of this season. I haven't seen anything to make me change my mind about that. Hopefully TJ can make some serious improvement and keep us in this.

2. The right side of our line. Honestly, I think I might like Butler better than Winston. I thought Butler did a good job filling in for DB. But the loss of Brisiel hurts and hurts bad. When he went out last season, that was the end of our offense. He was a much more integral player in that line than people realize and I think we're in big trouble without him. We need to find someone to step up and play at the same level (and I didn't see Caldwell do it last year and I'm starting to think Caldwell doesn't have it.)

3. Our defense. Sure, we played great last year but I'm worried we won't be able to do it again.

4. Our WRs. I expect to go after a WR in the first couple of rounds of this draft. But WRs have a harder time acclimating to the NFL. Lots of receivers take a few years to grow into their game and I don't want to have to wait for someone. I'd hoped we'd peg one of the better FA WRs.

So.

I'm worried.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read