Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2012   #21
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Typical Houston fan response. ND Kalu says be more like Philly and destroy the guy.

/jk
Good one!

I'm adding him to the list of Houston All-Pros.
Old 03-27-2012   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Braman gets no love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm not a gloom and doomer, but Braman hasn't done squat yet. Being confident about him is like being confident in Jeff Maehl to solve our Jacoby Jones problem. Perhaps he will....but you can't rely on this kind of stuff. I like Braman too but we better take a talented OLB early in the draft. Reed may go through a sophomore slump as the league has a full year to study him and Barwin has to have a break out year...one injury and we are in big trouble back there.
I agree with this...

We have project/developmental guys at just about every position. I don't think you go into a season relying on those guys....

If they happen to reach their potential...great...Then you have an Arian and Ben Tate situation...

I like Bruce Irvin at the end of the second round...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

He was a JUCO transfer to West Texas A&M University in Canyon, TX. I don't think he came to WTAMU because of past problems...WTAMU recruits heavily out of California and other western JUCO teams.

By the way, WTAMU is where me and my wife went to college (that's how we met), and we go to all the home games and even make a couple of road games every year.

He and Simi Kuli (who will be another great defensive UDFA prospect) got into trouble with the whole drug situation a couple years back. WTAMU and the city of Canyon is consistently ranked practically #1 in small-town college campus/community security, so a couple of guys like Braman and Kuli are not going to get away with what they did. Also, remember that Ryan Leaf was the QB Coach and got caught stealing prescription meds from WTAMU players' rooms.

Things like this happen on every college campus, but it's my belief that the campus cops and the city's cops are always on top of things. I worked as an Admissions Advisor and Recruiter for WTAMU for almost three years, so that's how I know a lot of this stuff. If your kid wants a college campus environment that feels like a "real" college, but has great professor-to-student ratio and you want them to be safe...WTAMU is a great place. Top notch programs, including engineering, nursing, pre-med, marketing, mass communication (my degree!), etc. Visit their site at http://www.wtamu.edu

Anyways, Braman was unstoppable when he was at WTAMU. He was bigger, faster, and stronger than any player he faced across from him. He could run from one end of the line totally across to the other side and make the play on the RB. He would shed, hurdle, shove and embarrass blockers as he rushed the QB. Simi Kuli is that same sort of player, too.

Obviously, the talent he faces in the NFL is better than Div II players...but he still made noise on the few plays he gets with the Texans. Remember when he almost blocked the punt in the Dolphins game, then ran the length of the field and ear holed/combo blocked TWO Dolphins gunners at the same time on the same freaking play? Yeah, he's got skills. Then there was the infamous helmet-less special teams tackle.

I agree that he doesn't have a body of work to be fairly judged yet. In preseason, against the Jets IIRC, he was a zombie and nobody could stop him. He was sacking the QB and stuffing the RB play after play. Again, that was in preseason and was against a few 1's but mostly 2's.

Will be rooting for my fellow WTAMU Buffalo this year. That's for sure.
Old 03-27-2012   #24
Mike77015
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Mike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performer

Last preseason he did well enough that he opened the eyes of several teams and the Texans did not want to lose him. That is why he was signed and played with the special teams. He would not have made it to the practice squad had the Texans released him.
Mike77015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike77015 View Post
Last preseason he did well enough that he opened the eyes of several teams and the Texans did not want to lose him. That is why he was signed and played with the special teams. He would not have made it to the practice squad had the Texans released him.
Exactly. Forgot about that, but we did have a whole discussion about that in the preseason.

Even if he made it to the PS, a team would have signed him from our PS.

He's a lock to make the roster unless he screws up royally somehow.
Old 03-27-2012   #26
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

We're going to need to draft an OLB high. If Braman becomes the Arian Foster of pass rushers, then someone gets traded.

And I do believe Jeff Maehl is a raw diamond who will become an underneath-route demon.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #27
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's got the ability to rush the passer . I think he got hurt in the game before the playoffs on a collision at the QB . The problem is just like Jethro could throw a 100 mph fastball but only with possum fat on his fingers which was against the rules . This applies to Braman and his helmet and how he performs.
Old 03-27-2012   #28
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought he would breakout last year but it seems the depth was stacked against him. Beat out Nading though, that should tell you something. He made the most of his opportunities rushing the passer and impacting special teams (remember the huge flying double body block he threw that sprung Jacoby out for a huge punt return?) I don't think I would let him go unless 2 more Barwin's walked in the door. I certainly don't think it would matter much if or when they took another rush/OLB, this guy has solidified himself as capable, hell PLUS depth. All you can ask the young man to do is work hard and knock the snot outta people and he did EVERY bit of that last year.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #29
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Its hard to project a guys development when we do not get access to see him work day in and day out. We can assume all day long if he is ready for a starting job or not. I tend to lean towards drafting a pass rusher in the first round.
This. Braman has flashed but look at how he came to us. I don't say that as a knock on him. I say it matters because if he was ready to jump in and shine he'd have been drafted (most likely). He's a project with obvious potential but he could take another year of coaching up to reach it.

I've been impressed with him since he got here but lets not be stupid, we need to look for a pass rusher too.
Old 03-27-2012   #30
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

2011 Regular Season

Tackles 8 - Solo 5 - Ast 3 - Sacks .5 - Fum Ret 1

Almost as good as Mario!
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #31
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
This. Braman has flashed but look at how he came to us. I don't say that as a knock on him. I say it matters because if he was ready to jump in and shine he'd have been drafted (most likely). He's a project with obvious potential but he could take another year of coaching up to reach it.

I've been impressed with him since he got here but lets not be stupid, we need to look for a pass rusher too.
IMO, part of the mystery about Braman's future is that he's from a small Div II school in Canyon, TX.

These guys are not heavily scouted like Div I guys are. Some names:

+ Danieal Manning is from Abilene Christian University which is also in the Lone Star Conference with West Texas A&M University.

+ Johnny Knox, WR with the Bears, came from Abilene Christian too.

+ The Bears have a starting OL who went to WTAMU, as well--He didn't come in as the starter in 2011 but by midway through the year he had overtaken the starter.

+ Bernard Scott, backup RB in Cincinatti, is from ACU.

WTAMU and ACU are the two top dogs in the LSC every year and they produce at least 1 or 2 NFL players every year. ACU has had more success than WTAMU in placing players into the NFL, though. They're closer to the DFW area than Canyon is, so a player out of the DFW area has a shorter drive home and mom and dad have a shorter drive to ACU home games. Plays a huge role in choosing ACU over WTAMU believe it or not.

What is interesting is that teams like the Texans (who are rumored to be interested in another WTAMU defensive player Simi Kuli) and the Bears are gravitating toward Lone Star Conference (LSC) players more and more. They are recognizing that a lot of these LSC players have the skill to be on NFL rosters but chose Div II route for a variety of reasons: (1) Class size is smaller, so the players have better access to professors to get extra help on lessons...(2) The campus is smaller, which means they feel a part of a community and are generally happier than at a Mega University, and (3) They won't be buried 3-deep on a roster which means more playing time.

Guys like Danieal Manning, Bernard Scott, and Bryan Braman are making rosters because they have one thing in common: Special Teams. An NFL team knows they're getting primarily a Special Teams returner/gunner/blocker AND backup depth for positions such as S, RB, or LB. What's cool is that these Lone Star Conference guys are finding ways to get onto the field in more ways than just Special Teams plays.
Old 03-28-2012   #32
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 58259 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the guy and hope he turns into a solid player for us, or even a star player. Hopefully he has a great offseason and TC and pushes for some playing time during the season.
Old 03-28-2012   #33
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If your kid wants a college campus environment that feels like a "real" college, but has great professor-to-student ratio and you want them to be safe...WTAMU is a great place. Top notch programs, including engineering, nursing, pre-med, marketing, mass communication (my degree!), etc. Visit their site at http://www.wtamu.edu
Quote:
They are recognizing that a lot of these LSC players have the skill to be on NFL rosters but chose Div II route for a variety of reasons: (1) Class size is smaller, so the players have better access to professors to get extra help on lessons...(2) The campus is smaller, which means they feel a part of a community and are generally happier than at a Mega University, and (3) They won't be buried 3-deep on a roster which means more playing time.

its ok. you dont have to recruit anybody on TT
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #34
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

its ok. you dont have to recruit anybody on TT
LOL. I know, it's hard to break an old habit.

If you want me to take you on a tour, maddict, just let me know. I will meet you up at the campus and show you around. You REALLY should go there!

LOLZ.
Old 03-28-2012   #35
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL. I know, it's hard to break an old habit.

If you want me to take you on a tour, maddict, just let me know. I will meet you up at the campus and show you around. You REALLY should go there!

LOLZ.
haha fwiw i read those parts of the posts in an infomercial voice for some reason
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
haha fwiw i read those parts of the posts in an infomercial voice for some reason
"Are you a big time player stuck on a roster at 3rd string until your senior year? Do you secretly wish you could have that small-town campus life AND play as a starter the whole time in college? Well, friend, you've come to the right place. WTAMU is here for YOU! Don't worry, if a coach steals your illegal prescription meds, our campus police will return them to you so you can illegally enjoy them. And that's not all! IF you are caught and punished for said illegal meds, you'll be suspended for the year but can return the next year!"

LOL.
Old 03-28-2012   #37
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 4027 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with the majority of the people are saying in this thread.

I'm not saying "OMG becuz he made a ST highlight reel he's going to be the best OLB eva!" I'm just saying the 'kid' has done everything right as to this point during his tenure with the Texans. I wanted to give him credit on his determination on the field, in addition to, seemingly having a pretty high motor. Isn't this the same thing people cried for years about Mario? I think we got a group of guys that all want to play football, and really care about wanting to win. And he definitely is built in that mould.

I'm saying that the cupboard at LB isn't as bare as a good portion of poster's on TT think. I'm going to trust Wadethiak to make the right calls in the draft due to their access to their rosters and staff. I just think the fact that Braman is on the roster is a huge benefit, and as much as we need as much pass rush as we can get, I don't think it's absolutely essential that we spend our 1st on OLB. There should be some decent guys available in the 2nd (and maybe 3rd) that can come in a contribute, even if they are a little rough around the edges.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #38
GP 
Go Texans!

Kubiak will draft a big ugly for OL in Round 1.

It will be a Center or other type of OL. Bank on it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read